30 hours into a 48 hour Sous Vide Chuck Roast

30 hours into a 48 hour Sous Vide Chuck Roast.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qtFV73wpEAw&t=3s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I plug a temp controller into my crock pot.

When its time I will hard sear it and then slice and serve.

neat.

There is such a thing as overcooking a roast you fucking maniac

do you know how sous vide works

or are you coming from the mcdonalds/american food thread

Sous vide doesnt fucking matter when you cook something for TWO FULL FUCKING DAYS you fucking imbecile.

i never know when i'm gonna be hungry so cooking something 48 hours ahead would be a huge gamble for me

what about a sous vide sneed roast

I just this moment realized that I hate sous vide and everyone who does it.

it's cute how you think you have any god damn idea what you're talking about

24+ hour cooks are very common with sous vide especially on larger cuts of meat like roasts and pork belly

Ive done this before and it turns out great. Very tender and still pink through.

I don't mind doing sous vide since I work 12 hour shifts. But some of the shit people do with it is just fucking stupid.

I look forward to seeing the end result!

Very interested to see how this comes out

yeah isn't it retarded how people don't cook using the same tools as everyone else

Yeah cooking a meal for several days is pretty normal user.

This, however, is a single serving chuck steak.

I don't think doing a roast this way is supposed to be normal. Just as you wouldn't smoke a brisket for lunch unless you wanted to start at midnight.

Well with this you dont have to take it out exactly at 48 hours.

You could have this on all day and pick a time that you want to take it out and eat.

I do corned beef brisket this way also 175f for 48 hours on the brisket.

It comes out super tender and with powerfull flavor. Much more powerfull then if you simmered it for a few hours.

Its nearly a 3 pound chuck roast in there.

> all the fast foodies in this thread

When I smoke a 16 pound packer brisket I wake up early and it takes all day, about 10 hours.

Smoked brisket has to be one of my favs

Like I wont have a timer counting down 48 hours on the dot.

Instead I will just take it out when I am ready to have dinner and sear it off. Probably with a potato and veg.

how does collagen get turned into gelatin at such low temps?

The period of time. Its like that with all cooks.

Low and slow makes it tender.

>Its like that with all cooks.
well in bbq the brisket gets pulled above 170F
and pork is usually pulled at 190F

At what temp do you pull in sous vide?

check his second picture

For sous vide we hold things at a temp for a period of time.

This is at 128f for the whole cook. A low temp for a long period.

It was oiled and then I used my favorite beef rub before it was vac sealed.

This stuff is rock salt, red pepper and black pepper ect.

What's all the shit in the water? Calcium?

based sneed cross-board poster

I keep seeing sous vide threads. Is it still a meme or is it finally acceptable meta?

Blood from the steak when I put it into the bag and vac sealed it shut. The end that is opened had some there and its the protein from that coming to the top.

Putting a roast in to a bag with tongs. Bound to get some around. I didnt wash the end of the bag off.

If you say so but it doesn't seem like protein to me.
I've lived in hardwater areas before and thats what the calcium deposits looked like.

I thought it might have been some coating from the sealed bag.

We do have hard water also. Its well water.

But the roast is in the bag simmering in its own juices.

Corned beef comes out really good Sous Vide.

Normally you would take a big pot and simmer the brisket about 4 hours with some seasonings in the water.

But instead you put the seasoning on the brisket and vac seal it and then sous vide it simmers in its own liquids. Alot of liquid comes out of the brisket when you do it.

But it intensifies the flavor in the end because its much less then the boiling pot.

If it is then swap the water bath out otherwise it will breed bacteria and smell like feces (it's a specific bacteria in the blood of the animal it is not a pathogen so it won't get you sick but it can make the meat taste like literally shit if the bag gets swamped) and you don't want that in your equipment if you can help it.

If you aren't trolling.
It's cooked at super low temperature for two days so it won't over cook everything is done super low very slow.
At least until OP reverse sears it before eating be careful with that part as it might practically fall apart out of the bag while you are trying to get it in the bag. How did you seal the bag up?

sous vide instead of braising is fucking stupid.

It was more of a tiny foam before I took the pic and disturbed it.

I am not concerned ive seen it before and it just washes off my temp probe and my crock pot.

The roast itself is gonna look ugly and unappealing also till I give it a hard searing.

Braising is overcooking

You will see.

Tender is tender. You give up a little meat moisture for a much better sauce.
That lip smacking gelatinous braising liquid is why you braise.

The upside here is that all the fat stays with the beef and the meat will still be pink.

>and the meat will still be pink.
So? What does that do?

Its the achievement of a Tender yet still Med Rare chuck roast.

>itt: OP warms up a mediocre tasting piece of meat for two days in a plastic condom and then claims it turned out "fucking delicious" in pitiful combination of self-denial and attempting to save face

I'd rather have the achievement of a tender chuck roast with an amazing sauce. I mean your mom's vag is pink and that shit tastes foul as fuck.

>mediocre tasting piece of meat
Touch cuts can have some of the beefiest flavor when they are made well.

48 hours?

Dude.

>sous vide
>made well
I almost feel embarrassed for you.

Clearly a tough cut is going to need a low and slow method to make it tender.

Sous Vide is a great way to do it.

And now I do.

When I do my corned beef briskets I take them to 36 hours. Chuck roasts need more time.

Explain the concept, dude. Do you bring up to temp and then just hold it for 44 hours, or what? In BBQ, we go buy the "40-140 in 4 hours" rule to prevent bacteria from getting funky, so I'm curious what you've got going on.

Well for corned beef briskets I put the basic seasoning on them and vac seal it in the bag then put it into 175f water.

The meat will bring the temp down and the controller will turn on.

After awhile the meat will come up to 175f as the water temp holds there also.

I do the corned beef for 36 hours, I have taken it to 48 but its fall apart tender then.

I know you're being epic xD right now but the juices in the bag can be turned into a sauce

175 doesn't seem hot enough to bring it past 140 in 4 hours.

Whatever, if it works for you, drive on dude.

Satan, that sauce will be shit since the juice is in the meat, isn't that the point of sous meme????
So which is it? in the meat or the sauce?

It is because water transfers heat better then air.

>bag juice

I think you have no idea what "the point" of sous vide is then.

The fat and liquids in the meat still expel because that's what meat does when introduced to temperature. So they're in the bag he has and can be put into a pan, preferably post sear, to make a sauce.

>The fat and liquids in the meat still expel
no smartass the point is that the lower heat doesn't push out the meat juice.

Certainly not as much, but it still happens.

I dont plan on using the liquid in the bag.

I have a garlic herb butter to serve with the beef. Or I might caramelize some onions.

I could do red wine sauce from the searing but iam too lazy.

>Certainly not as much
and thus a shit sauce, as I was saying.

The goal here is to highlight beefy flavors in the beef. Not cook the beef flavor out into a sauce and pour it back over top.

It's just a matter of quantity... this will render much more concentrated flavour because there isn't literal water diluting it.

We've reached peak retardation levels. 48 hours for Chuck.

>OPs face when

youtube.com/watch?v=qtFV73wpEAw&t=3s

>braising liquids are diluted
haha, confirmed to know nothing about cooking and just a sous fag.

You literally cook the meat with liquids. You can use stock or whatever, but that dilutes the flavour of the meat.

You could just as easily use stock or whatever liquid in the bag here as well.

It's obvious you don't know what dilute means.
Is chicken stock diluted because it's made with water?

We're talking about the flavour from the meat itself. That will be diluted because you add other things to it when braising.

This is purely the juice of the meat and nothing else.

If you want the added flavour from a stock you can do it this way too.

You don't have to be intentionally obtuse just because this is Veeky Forums christ it isn't /v/.

dude, sous vide bag juice doesn't make a good sauce.

It's literally just the meat juice. I don't know why you would assume that it would make a worse sauce than braising especially when you can achieve the same effect by adding a stock to the bag.

I've done it several times as well as braised method. The only difference is the meat juice tastes more concentrated and there's less of it so I'll sometimes cut it with stock to get more out of it.

Pure speculation but could the high temps add caremlisation and other flavours to the braised juice?

it certainly adds evaporation and thus concentration, which doesn't happen in a sous vide bag.

Well it will be on the bland side if you don't just be careful with it is all. Some people don't realize quite how delicate sous vide meat is after 48 hours and I've seen cooks fuck up shortribs getting them out of the bag

Yes however many people will pre-sear their roasts before sous vide usually to save time on their post-sear, but it would also provide more flavour for the meat juice.

I used to do 48 hour short ribs at my last place it's delicious

You do realize that for sous vide each bag is typically a portion. So you have meat and enough juice to make the sauce per plate rather than holding your sauce in a steam well for hours and having that shit thicken and dry out on you.
>Enjoy your 3 day old demi and coffee machine water sauce

Actually for sous vide you always sear the meat or veggies or whatever otherwise it's 48 hours for a bland piece of meat

>You do realize that for sous vide each bag is typically a portion.
A single portion chuck roast?
Are you American?

>boiling your food in plastic

enjoy your BPA

>boiling
no

>So you have meat and enough juice
At what temp do you sous vide in order to get more than a thimble of juice?

>Waiting 48 for something to cook
are you not starving? wtf just fry it in a pan

> frying a roast in a pan

Go back to /McDonalds/

Gonna do scalloped potato with the Roast.

There is quite a dilemma surrounding this roast

3 and a half hours till it's done yes? I'm eager to see how it turns out

When my cheese potatoes are ready it will be time to sear the beef.

those cuts looks good user. very uniform.

He used a mandolin. it's in the same shot.

disregard that I suck cocks. Learn to use a knife.

>expecting a sous vide fag to have knife skills.

Yes, expending more effort for inevitably less consistent results is truly the way of the wise

Cheesy

This is it taken out of the bag