What are your thoughts on capitalization in poetry?

I've been taught at college that a prevailing new standard for poetry is to have the beginning of lines uncapitalized, instead of capitalized, as the convention had been, before. Does this have much to do with the beat poets of the 1950s, and modernist and post-modernist poetry movements? Who today is a successful and critically acclaimed poet that still habitually capitalizes the first letter of every line? Objectively, could the two conventions both be correct and appropriate for modern poetry, or have we already reached a point by which the previous way is frowned upon as archaic? I prefer the aesthetics of capitalization for my own work, and in others'.

It's best to alternate between the two for each sentence.

It gives me a surprise when I wake up lol

The best way to do it is 2 just B urself

Please friend

It's idiotic. Morons like Rupi Kaur and the tumblr-poet generation she embodies like to leave out capitalization and other core grammatical, not for any deep reason but because it *seems* like it should have a deep reason. It's the laziest possible convention breaking by people who don't understand why conventions exist in the first place.

core grammatical structures*

I concur. It seems to be over-hyped as revolutionary, while it appears to pointlessly defy correct grammar. I don't understand why exactly it became so appealing since around the mid-20th century. Nevertheless, in college, I was still permitted to use the capitalization I prefer.

It depends on the poem.

>americans

the actual method behind it that you find in the modernists like Pound or H. D. is how the poem is to be read, the accents of the flow of the thing and where specific lines of thought or images should end and resume.
Dumbasses today just do it because it makes it seem "poetical" and the academics are just mindless victims of fashion trying to keep up with the current trends that all the publishing companies that they are sucking up to are shitting out.
Just like everything else in poetry, if you understand why you are doing something and can explain the reason for it, and if that reason makes sense or adds to the art, then do it. If not, then it's just hollow posturing. Modern poetry completely lacks in discipline and comprehension of the art form and the trend of not capitalizing each line is just lazy indulgence of cheap and cheerful composition.

Nigga Do I Look Like I Care?

tHiS sHoUlD bE tHe NeW sTaNdARd
•® h0\|/ b°ut d1§?

Yeah depends on the poem, more casually driven stuff I'd say generally shouldn't have a capital letter starting each line but more elevated stuff generally should. I always find that a capital at the beginning of a line makes me pause for slightly longer than no capital at the beginning of a line. A line also bears much more weight on its own if it starts with a capital (but obviously has to earn that, otherwise it's just masquerading as a comparatively weightier line)

>spelling is grammar
>capitalizing words in the beginning of every line regardless of sentence structure is especially grammatical

Who gives a shit

Capitalisation is near-useless and is only used due to English being deficient in its specificity. All lowercase results in a superior aesthetic and sacrifices nothing except for a disgusting, ham-fisted trend.

you didn't attend school

It has its place, even though retards like
disagree. I tend to use fairly standard grammar in my writing, but poetry playing with grammar/syntax/styling is important to the form. Basically

>Who today is a successful and critically acclaimed poet that still habitually capitalizes the first letter of every line?
Charles Simic published a new book of poetry this year and he capitalizes the first word of each line.

This post captures the essence, I think. A good artist does as little as possible without reason. Capitalize because you need it, write lowercase because you need it.