Aldi Thread

What food is a must-buy and what should you avoid? US markets preferred, but world opinions are fine.

I've found their potato chips to be just as good as Lay's. However, their "doritos" are terrible.

I went into an Aldi once, but didn't know that they don't bag your shit and that you have to bring your own. Also, the money compartment was weird. Pretty good deal on frozen berries and shit that I use in smoothies though.

Their whiskey is incredible, and I hate whiskey 99% of the time.
That's how good it is.
Fucking cheap too.

Also, their meats are amazing quality.
The fruit and veg can be hit or miss... same with their bathroom products (shower gel, shampoo, deodorant etc.).
Their chocolate, sweets, crisps (candy and chips to you Yanks) are awesome too... not amazing, but still cheap and worth it if you want it.

their sushi is pretty good

>must-buy
Choceur coffee and cream.

>what should you avoid?
Meats. Fresh vegetables. Fresh fruits.

Pickles are a maybe. Last jar I got tasted funny, so I must do further research in the pickle category.

I've been using their 2-ply toilet paper for years. It's half the price of the name brands but just as good.

ask an associate when they get their produce. Their produce is the best and cheap but you gotta get it fresh cause that shit organic and before they restock you won't find everything you want.

Their salsas are good, but their tortilla chips are ass. Their ritz knockoffs aren't worth it either.

Bratwurst and kraut are both good

and the frozen/ take and bake pizzas are dope too double post sorry been drinking

They occasionally have herrings tinned in mango pepper sauce or tomato sauce that are fucking great on toast for breakfast.

They sell whiskey??? Why have i never seen this? i've been to 5 different aldi's in my lifetime; but the highest alcohol percentage i've seen is 15%.

WTF were they thinking with their new logo.
It has this 90's plastic, glossy "retro" flair, but not in a good way. Everyone moves to flat, and the spend a shitton of money to move in the opposite direction, when they already have a perfectly working logo. If anything, aldi nord needs a new logo, because theirs is shitugly.

this.

bump

Lidl is better.

bought frozen taquitos from aldi. the box they came in probably tastes better. their ketchup is too sugary. everything else is as good as or better than major name brand stuff. they also offer a 200% money back guarantee if you're not satisfied with aldi branded items.

>Also, the money compartment was weird

I haven't been to an Aldi in years. What is a "money compartment"?

the box they put you in and poke you with broom handles until you give them payment

is it just that last time they just put me into a hole and fuck me until i had fully paid off my debt

Their premarinated porkloins are pretty tasty. I like to eat them with a little bit of sauerkraut and mustard depending on the flavor.

I also like their sauces. I had their pumpkin/squash pasta sauce that was pretty good. Their tikka masala simmer sauce is good for a quick dinner as well.

I don't mind the paying for a kart/bag thing but I really wish they would at least load the bags you bought. It holds up the entire line.

>It holds up the entire line.
Are you stupid? It's literally the opposite.

went to Aldi yesterday and again to a different Aldi today to buy this

plus, the one check out girl with red hair always sucks my dick in my car in the parking lot before I go but I have to give her a quarter

she knows I like smoked salmon and that turns her on, thus the dick sucking in the parking lot

oh yeah, I do finger her while she is sucking my dick

Fill your cart with frozen spaghetti and be done with grocery shopping for the week.

>frozen spaghetti

Did anyone get their hands on a bottle of the 21 year old scotch whisky?

It depends on what state you're in. Some states either don't allow it or getting the license is such a hassle they don't bother.

I think she means the thing on the cart you have to put a quarter in.

cool story bro

Chicago has very liberal liquor laws and the Aldi by me just got beer and wine after being open for atleast 2 years.

Yeah. All you have to do is just heat it up.

They only have one cart that they throw everythign into that I then have to bag all at once as the lien backs up.

A lot of their packaged produce comes from the same companies that my larger grocery stores carry. I've never noticed any difference in quality either.
I think the biggest downside of produce at Aldi is that it's not like a grocery store where employees are constantly culling/leveling/packing out. If you go at certain times of the day, either you'll get a great, fresh selection or it'll be almost all shit.

You're not supposed to bag it while still in line, idiot. There's a counter you push the cart to and bag it there.

He means if you shop without a cart.
Sometimes I just throw what I'm buying in my shopping bag. After I get rung up I have to bag everything up again as fast as possible because they're already throwing someone else's stuff into the same cart.

Their Specially Selected chips in general are fucking amazing, waffle cut and multigrain crisps in particular. Also had some crazy good SS sweet potato chips around thanksgiving I haven't been able to get my hands on since.

Other decent stuff off the top of my head: tomato-basil wraps, fit & active turkey sausage , kirkwood flavored chicken sausage, happy farms cheese balls, assorted mid-tier cheeses, hard/genoa salami ($4.99 lb, cheapest I've found it anywhere) pork breakfast sausage, chicken breast patties, canned veg and canned soup (the one I've been going to has been dumping condensed cream soups at 49 cents a can the last few weeks so I've been snapping those up for winter cooking). Also had some cheap-as-fuck potstickers that weren't bad for the price, though I haven't been able to find them as of late.

Meat outside of packaged stuff like ground beef and processed sealed stuff's pretty fucking dodgy as everybody else says, though, and produce is kind of a crapshoot - got a bag of oranges a few weeks ago and had to throw half the lot away as they'd opened on the bottom and rotted from the inside out.

Yeah, no. Nice try though.

>shop without a cart.
You can do that, if you want to be a complete asshole. Everyone you're holding up is definitely silently wishing you will get killed in the parking lot. Especially the cashiers, considering they get paid based on how fast the line moves.

Their premade "chopped" salads are 2.50 and thats a steal. Add chicken or beef for a full meal. Also, their grass fed lamb, beef and nothing added chicken are really good deals.

>I've found their potato chips to be just as good as Lay's. However, their "doritos" are terrible.

Why is this? Most brands that try to compete locally against Frito-Lays always fail in their non-Doritos brand.

>Specially Selected
Some Specially Selected brand stuff can be surprising good. Their pasta is great, but I only ever see them bundled with a bag of spice mix, and it's more expensive. If they took off the spices and just sold the pasta by itself for a dollar less, I'd buy it every time.

This seems to differ by state OP.

Mine has great produce and meat. Occasionally there'll be some bad fruit, but just pick around them as you see fit. They've improved some foods, their cereals and granola bars went from meh to what I live on most work days. Milk and eggs are stupid cheap.

They only sell liquor in states where you can do that in grocery stores.

It's the seasoning. They never get it right.

3 pack cheese pizza
healthy frozen meals, especially the thai green chicken curry
mi goreng noodles
mint ice cream

I only go there when i'm broke as fuck and I need some cheap as fuck alcohol

Does anyone else get panic attacks while trying to fill up their trolley while the smug check out chick is scanning your poor man food at the speed of light?

They have the best price on produce in my town. They sometimes have chicken/ground beef for cheap too but not very often. I went in the other day and they had hams marked down. I got a shank portion (I think) that was normally 99 cents a pound but it was marked down to 49 cents a pound.

I live practically next to an aldi but I am guessing that your aldi sells different stuff than the ones in the netherlands

Beer battered tacos were the shit, only bought one pack before my aldi discontinued it immediately

Do buy:
Bread
Produce
Chicken salad
Cheese
Cooking wine
Pasta
Frozen pizzas
Spices
Cat food/litter
Most everything really

Don’t buy:
Deli meats
Knock off cheez-it’s

Next time put in a few 100 piece packs of flavoured condoms in your trolley and maintain direct eye contact with the checkouut chick at all times.

The Cheez-Its taste pretty decent to me, fampai

Tortilla chips are fine. Ritz aren't that great, but you've just gotta savior it

Holy shit yes, I only bought two of those herring in mango, they sat in the pantry for a few months before I ate them and realized how dope they were. Next time I see them I'm buying the lot. Also, just ate their /deenz/ for the first time today. Good quality for $.89/can

savor-itz are lit my dude

aldi hummus is good
$1.99 and i get 6 at a time, usually
also the chips are cheap and decent

>paid on how fast the line moves

Gonna need some verified proof for that

their chili- lime potatoe chips leave me feeling weird... its like good but not good, but you cant stop eating. wtf

Rule of engagementnfor Aldis: when you find something you like stock the fuck up

true

>its like good but not good
Deep, broseph.

only state i've ever seen with liquor in a grocery was Ohio.
Literally the only good thing about Ohio.

I buy these out every year

Like the whole taco is beer battered?

Meant to spell taco rolls, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Can't find pic of the packaging this is what they looked like.
Shit was pretty good.

Move to a first world country.

you can get cheaper whiskey outside of the aldi's if you live in a shithole country anyways

the whole "cashiers get payed per customer and how fast they push them along" is a myth. Cashiers at German discounters (Aldi, Lidl, Norma, Penny etc.) don't have a fixed quota on how much shit they have to drag over the scanner, of course their preformance stands under the ridicule of the manager and if they aren't up to speed, they may loose their jobs (depending on the laws of the country).

The whole concept of German discounters is that nobody bags your shit, the whole principle is minimalistic, so fucking hurry up, use a cart and don't be an arse.

They have a point system and it records how many items they scan per hour.

I've seen this image posted before but I always find it hilarious.
>42% ethanol and in a convenient gas can/dispenser
Holy shit. It's like this whiskey was originally made to fuel armored vehicles.

I miss shopping at Aldi...