/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Grimdark Edition.
>List books where authors wrote unneeded filler.
>Which author iyho is the King/Queen of filler?
>Last book/series you dropped because it was unashamedly cash grub filler.

>/SFFG/ Recommendations:
FANTASY
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21329.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

SCIENCE FICTION
Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

Previous threads:

Gor

Gene Wolfe will always be the GOAT /sffg/ author, no amount of shitty cover art can change this objective fact.

Russian version of Seveneves.

The Three-Body Problem

The Traitor Baru Cormorant

Reminder that Palmer Eldritch did nothing wrong.

>Mean Gene will die before finishing Latro's story

hurts, lads

hes only 86

Hull Zero Three.

>BADAA TREX TEA

Blindsight by Peter Watts

What do I do if I want to write my own novel?

Write your own novel

>idiot user so desperate to make a new fucking thread before it even reached bump limit that he fucked up the new one

So three body problem is about 3 suns.... I never even read the books (nor will I) but the Russians gave away the plot. Look at seveneves pic, the moon is destroyed.

> Look at seveneves pic, the moon is destroyed.
The first sentence of the book is literally:
THE MOON BLEW UP WITHOUT WARNING AND FOR NO APPARENT reason. It was waxing, only one day short of full. The time was 05:03:12 UTC. Later it would be designated A+0.0.0, or simply Zero.

Create some characters, gice them motivations, create a setting, give it histoy.

Then write your story.

Fucking new thread/old thread shenanigans

one of my faves right now
tho the apt series did drag on, I'm not a big fan of series with 7+ books
when (if) you're done reading apt, check out the shadows of the fall series too (the tiger and the wolf)
or try the standalones

>I think it's kinda funny that the "insects have a shared mind" trope is still being used now, despite that idea getting debunked when people discovered how pheromones work.
tchaikovsky most probbaly knows that (I think he's an entomologist or something) but I'm guessing the racial telepathy thing worked better for him in the novel
I mean just imagine a race of people communicating through farts
actually that would be cool
but I understand why he didn't take that route

>They are not humans
Yes they are. They're humans with some bug-like modifications.

>new thread/old thread shenanigans
That's what Veeky Forums-x's cross thread notifs are for.

>Filler
All of Sanderson, obviously

Captcha: Services Four
Bridge four as a unit is forced

>cash grub filler
>cash grub
wat

What do I read?

Books, dummy. What genre do you like?

I don't know

Best start with a Bible, you like bibles??

>starting with the bible
Start with the Greeks.

Ia Eugenio Loboe our John Carpenter?

Don't listen to this guy, he's trying to trick you. The Greeks didn't even exist bub. You want something real? Los Biblos all the way, Niño

Everything between Eugene Loupee and Girugamesh is garbage tebehe.

Well, you've convinced me. I have never read the Bible. I have read Hyperion though, pretty good science fiction book. I would indeed recommend this book to

Have you never read fiction before?

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.

I feel like I'm never going to read a book as good as that one, the user who shilled it to me while I was having my mind blown by Ubik had damn great taste.

Grubs used as cash, obviously. It's a very large grub, and the first step is to cut off the head and tail, essentially the ends of the body. Then you can pull out the various internal organs, the "filler" as it were, which creates a hollow cavity. You then cut the flesh left behind into many thick, circular slices and lay them out in the sun to dry. When they're finished, the slices are used as currency, similar to coins. The filler is usually sold at high rates to restaurants which advertise it as a delicacy, but I've never actually met anyone who liked it.

Guys, what are the odds I could upload translated light novels to amazon as my own work and get away with it?

Ditto for purchasing distribution rights of translated shit and selling other peoples work?

>tchaikovsky most probbaly knows that (I think he's an entomologist or something) but I'm guessing the racial telepathy thing worked better for him in the novel
A fucking entomologist opting for that instead of the far more interesting pitfalls of the real systems employed? Must be a terrible writer.

>>starting with the bible
>Start with the Greeks.

>the Bible
>not a Greek book

Are there literally any books where the main toon is a necromancer, apart from Sabriel?
And by that I mean they actually need to use it a lot

Johannes Cabal? I can't remember how muc he uses it though, he mostly gets by on his wits.

>main toon
???

I'm not him but toon clearly stands for Teologically Onerous Ontological Nail

The Necroscope books, which I've never read, kind of have this.

Or just read Clark Ashton Smith's stories.

Clark Ashton Smith has some necromancer stuff. And there's always the Diablo novels.

>>Which author iyho is the King/Queen of filler?
Jordan gets shat on a lot, but really he was a piker. John Norman just published the 34th Gor book last year and he's gonna keep riding that train into his fucking grave.

I don't know how he did it, but he did. He mixed vampires with aliens and it worked out beautifully.

I think I've read one of these before, it was about a guy humiliating sex slaves in front of his generals.

Roadside Picnic, Metro 2033, the Witcher books.
Vidya got me into slav scifi and fantasy, anything else you'd recommend?

How would you rate them, out of curiosity.

Hard to Be a God, Strugatsky bros

Stanislaw Lem in general but I'd recommend starting with either The Cyberiad or Solaris

Night Watch

I can't decide what sf novel to read next. Yell at me any book and I'll read it.

I'd say I enjoyed Roadside Picnic the most but that might have something to do with the fact that I just watched the 1979 Stalker movie, then the Witcher and Metro 2033 last, haven't read any of the other Metro books.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

Gene Wolfe already did vampire alien things and managed to make them some of the most interesting and feel-inducing characters in his whole bibliography.
>tfw Krait
>tfw Jahlee
>tfw Fava
Real human beans on the inside

Gene Wolfe
Gene Wolfe
Gene Wolfe
Gene Wolfe? Gene Wolfe.

I read Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg (1981), the Locus Award winner for best fantasy novel. This is a long and leisurely paced novel about an usurped ruler of a very large kingdom on a remote planet. The protag finds himself in a provincial city with no memory of his true identity, and falls in with a troupe of traveling jugglers in order to make a living. As the novel progresses he travels the land, makes acquaintances, recovers his memories, and takes back the throne.

The story is cliched and predictable, but the novel is all about the setting. It's a travelogue with a lot of different cities, cultures, races, landscapes, geological features, plants and animals, all vividly described; full, also, of good-natured camaraderie, gentle romance, and reflections on identity, responsibility, and memories, rather than high drama and lurid violence. It seems to me this would be an ideal book to read in a prison, mental hospital, yacht, long flight, or other confined environment, because the worldbuilding is so fully realised and potentially immersive. I reiterate, however, that the story is unremarkable, but there are enough pleasant character moments to see it through - the grumpy and parsimonious troupe leader, an enigmatic wizard, and sword wielding giantess among others. Would I read the other books? Not in a hurry, and this seems a satisfying conclusion in itself. I rate it 3/5 and recommend it for those who want to read a gentle travelogue with a lot of different races.

Is Mistborn a complete story if I don't want to read past the regular fantasy setting, that is, the first trilogy? I'm not into urban fantasy.

GENE WOLFE

Yes. You don't have to read beyond the first trilogy.

REEEEEEEEEEEEE I JUST STARTED IN GREEN'S JUNGLES AND JUST MET FAVA!!!

>silverberg

Dropped. Last jewish author I read was Azimov, and I found his prose and characters stale as fuck.

>tfw read some short story about aliens invading earth and as a twist fucking Dracula out of nowhere summon counter attack and take over the universe with their space craft

and?

She has not been outed as an inhumi yet.

Oh, fuck. I forgot that was even hidden. It's clear soon enough.
>hi Incanto, here's my daughter, her friend with parents who are out of town who nobody has ever met and my mother who has been strangely ill ever since my daughter's friend arrived. I suspect that somebody in my house is up to no good, it's probably one of my maids or something lol.
Bravo Gene.

Why is it that most fantasy book covers look so god damn awful?

Wrong.

Also, that first pic was from the cover of a Patricia McKillip book, whose covers are always graced by Kinuko Craft.

>the mature nubile woman didn't resist her fucking

What are good novels with an underwater setting?

>short story
It was a full novel. Why you lying?

The immortal series by Joy Nash

I though he was just a meme author until I read his works and boy was I wrong. He really is the best.

But he is a meme author.

>She came to him in a dream: her creamy skin delectably cool, silky raven hair smelling of the sea and ocean-blue eyes reflecting the depths of her passion. She was everything Kalen had been desperate to capture in his art--and in his bed. In reality, when Christine found his remote Scottish castle, it was to persuade the Immortal warrior to help repel the darkness spreading around the world. But Kalen had a vindictive Sidhe trying to steal his powers and a dark secret of his own to battle before he and Christine could give in to...THE AWAKENING

I bet she squirts all over the pages before she sends them off to her editor and he sniffs every one in the privacy of his home.

You did say anything. Also that isn't book one. I said "series". www.immortals-series.com/books/
I think I read up to book 6? This was 10+ years ago, but it will give you boners.

I guess it's the equivalent to the progressive rock covers

>You did say anything.
bro I'm not the guy you replied to, just someone making fun of a book that sounds like good beanflicking material

The two were acquainted, Silverberg even co-wrote some of his later Foundation books. His style is different, however: more expansive and fluid, with more psychology and character development. He can also write in several different styles and modes while Asimov is one dimensional. Of the clutch of prolific 60s-80s New Wave SF/Fantasy writers he is among the better. I definitely prefer his SF and I find it interesting that none of his books broke out into film and wider readership like Philip K Dick.

>Lord Valentine's Castle
from offering a flask of wine to fucking aliens.
What a ride the book is

Your novels are never going to get published.

The blue alien was a curious addition given there were already so many secondary characters, and given what Silverberg does with the character which is very little Aliens visiting fantasy novel worlds is one of my favourite tropes.

The power structure of the book's world was interesting: a deified Queen of Dreams sending benevolent and loving dreams from her island complex, and a King sending nightmares and more punitive visions from another location - the prospect of receiving nightmares deterring a populous world from things like murder, but also checking the influence of each other. This as well as having a presidential-like Coronal, a younger and more vigorous public figure, with an older Pontifex running the state machinery and civil service from an underground labyrinth.

Good thing I've not written any and stick to short stories.

That's a good thing

>grimdark
Would you recommend this?

>banned for offending muslims/orthodox due to tribadists.

Any Sci Fi or fantasy books which have a detective element. I already know Garrett P.I.

k e k

Jack McDevitt does a lot of those. Especially the Alex Benedict/Chase Kolpath series.

>not enough stronk women of color and size and middle-age to make in the Torocracy
>not enough dull prose and gun autism to make it with the Castalians
>just in time to publish on the Amazon dot Com and make like five bucks
More than I would have to be honest.

>publish my books
>get no recognition for decades
>die
>suddenly my books are rediscovered and become a classical hit
This is the true fear

Gotta make sure you have a good agent.

>list books where authors wrote uneeded filler
stephen king every time
>king/queen
king
>last dropped series
the dark tower for now

>who is behind this post.png

I swear it's also a short story, I've not read that book. Possibly in one of them anthologies that GRRM edited.

Huh?

>Muh watering plants and so forth

Hi /sffg/, I'm a Veeky Forums emigrate that wants to get into Conan, and I imagine you get folks like me a lot. My local library has two relevant collections, and I'm not sure which one would be better to pick up first.

One collects "Hour of the Dragon," "A Witch Shall Be Born," and "The Bloody Crown of Conan."

The other collects scattered stories, some of which I'm not sure are even Conan stories but are probably cool nonetheless: "The Servants of Bit-Yakin" (aka "Jewels of Gwahlur"), "Beyond the Black River," "The Black Stranger," "Man-Eaters of Zamboula" (aka "Shadows in Zamboula"), and "Red Nails."

My other option is that I can tap my university library and they'll request the 1,000 page doorstop "The Complete Chronicles of Conan" for me, but handbreakers like that are hard to read on the train, where I usually read.

Suggestions? I know that there isn't an important sense of chronology to Conan and that the stories are self-contained, so I'm not worried about continuity as I am about best entry point.

Coming from Veeky Forums you might like the first collection more. Iirc those stories are more about epic battles when conan was king of Aquilonia. The second collection is him as a roving adventurer, which you will probably also like. Red nails and Hour of the Dragon are both good. Not as sure about the others in the second collection, but I think they are all actual Howard stories and not pastiches.

Whichever contains The Tower Of The Elephant, Rogues In The House, Queen Of The Black Coast. IMO avoid the novella and novel length stories and stick to the 20-30 pagers, and avoid any posthumous stuff with Lin Carter and Decamp.

If you are from Veeky Forums and are into this era of fantasy writing then you ought to look at Clark Ashton Smith and his Hyperborea, Zothique, and Poseidonis stories.