Are there any authors who died while writing their book?

Are there any authors who died while writing their book?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gemmell#Death.2C_posthumous_publication_and_legacy
goodreads.com/series/42376-sipstrassi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bolaño and 2666... short of

Dostoyevsky
>writing the sequel to brothers karamazov
>drops pen on the floor
>hits head on desk so hard that he dies

Robert Muesli never finished The Oats Without Raisins

Wittgenstein, I suppose.

The good soldier Švejk ended incomplete because of the author's death, though it's already pretty big.

I love the fact that the last chapters are basically just descriptions of food, and that Hasek literally ate himself to death.

Osamu Dazai and Franz Kafka come to mind.

Nietzsche

David Foster Wallace
Walter Benjamin
Ezra Pound

why didn't they finish their books first?

Because they died.

Nabokov while writing The Original of Laura

Why are people purposefully acting retarded to get (You)s and force memes with shitty jokes?

Clausewitz was one. His book On War, as far as I know, is finished, but he died before being able to publish it, a thing that hes wife did for him, if I remember correctly.
Also, Marc Bloch book about History as a subject was no where near ending before he was killed by the fucking nazis.
Godammit nazis.

to get (You)s and force memes with shitty jokes, duh

Dickens, Fitzgerald..

Virgil

>Nazis prevented a Jew from spreading lies and propaganda
Nice

dfw didnt finish the pale king im pretty sure.

when they wake up they have a surprise lol

It's more like a collection of disjointed notes that still needed to be edited into a book.

David Gemmell

>In mid-2006, Gemmell was on a trip to Alaska when he became discomforted. Immediately travelling back to the UK, he underwent quadruple heart bypass surgery in a private London hospital. Within two days he was able to take physical exercise and returned home to resume work on his latest novel. On the morning of 28 July 2006, four days before his 58th birthday, Gemmell was discovered by his wife, slumped over his computer, having died of coronary artery disease.

>At the time of his death, Gemmell was writing the final novel in an alternative-history trilogy based upon the legend of the siege of Troy, having completed 70,000 words. Only hours after his death, Gemmell's wife Stella resolved to complete the second half of the novel based upon his chapter plan and notes, contacting Gemmell's publisher two weeks after his funeral in order to make the offer. As a former junior reporter, aspiring novelist and subeditor, and having been involved in Gemmell's writing process for a number of years, Stella Gemmell felt she was "the only one who could do it." Preparing for the task, she reread her husband's previous work, deconstructing the battle scenes in order to build her own. Troy: Fall of Kings was published in 2007 under the joint authorship of David and Stella Gemmell.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gemmell#Death.2C_posthumous_publication_and_legacy

The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights by Steinbeck

Frank Herbert

Jesus died half way through writing the bible. Still good though.

>No one has mentioned Thucydides.

Did you even start with the greeks?

Lord Byron was writing the best part of Don Juan where he drags the gossiping scolds leading the gynocracy of London when he died while fighting for Greek independence.

Very interested in reading these

They are pretty great, I'm happy they got a proper ending. Also recommend the Sipstrassi series if you want something with a little fantasy.
goodreads.com/series/42376-sipstrassi

nice got em

>but he died before being able to publish it, a thing that hes wife did for him, if I remember correctly.
He actually only wanted it published after his death, and told his wife it was her duty to do it if he died before her. At least it is what she says on the preface.
Also I am pretty sure Sartre died before finishing all the volumes of The Family Idiot he had planed.

J.R.R. Martin