Cooking with Evilroot: Smoked Pork Shoulder BBQ!

Time for another installment in our long running series! This time around I will be making some NC style pulled pork BBQ with the fancy digital electronic smoker I got for Christmas!

And of course that starts with the meat! Harris Teeter had bone-in Boston Butt for $.99/lb . . . . talk about a great deal. I figure if I'm going to go through this much trouble might as well make a LOT. Roughly 40lbs total in fact muahahaha!

Mmmm, savings . . . .

One of my favourite cuts that. Very versatile.
Definitely monitoring the thread and being envious because I can't smoke meat where I live.

Did one of these for the new year. It surely beats buying 28oz of 'ham' for almost $7.

For starters mix up a batch of rub! Of course you COULD use a store bought meat rub . . . if you suck.

Like most things BBQ this is personal preference, but here is mine:

1/2 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup White Sugar
1/2 Cup Paprika
1/4 Cup Kosher Salt
1/4 Cup Mexican Chili Powder
2tbsp Cayenne Pepper
2tbsp Ground Cumin
2tbsp Garlic Powder
2tbsp Dry Mustard
2tbsp Onion Powder
2tbsp Black Pepper
1tbsp Celery Seed
1tbsp Ground Chipotle Molido

Sweet and spicy! Of course this is a huge batch, but I always like to make a ton and use it up over a few months.

I like to give it a quick blitz in the food processor to get a nice fine powdery texture.

>american factory pork

Its winter here so I cant do any smoking.

But I smoke some pork shoulders and froze them so I can pull them and eat BBQ all winter.

Now that the rub is ready, on to the marinade! I did this last night so it would have time to work.

For the marinade:

2qt Apple Juice
1qt Orange Juice
3 Lemons (Juiced and then added)
1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
1/2 Cup BBQ Rub
1/2 Stick Melted Butter

Made it in my giant stock pot so I can add the pork. But not done yet . . .

Ooops, a bit out of order but meh.

These shoulders came really nicely trimmed right from the store . . . . some fat on top but not too much!

Injected in about a dozen spots each with the marinade, trying to get into all the muscles. Of course a few attempts failed and squirted out the side but that's life . . . .

A perfect fit! And into the fridge they went overnight.

wow dat savings

This morning they came out, got patted dry . . . .

And generously rubbed! On the counter they will sit for an hour or so to warm up a tad while I turn my attention to my fancy new smoking device.

Kept the marinade to fill the water tray with so they'll stay nice and moist (hopefully) during the cook.

And here it is in all it's glory . . . . my shiny new digital electric smoker. Pairs with a phone app so you can set temperatures etc.

Personally I would have preferred the regular old kind but it was a gift. So time to see how it performs . . . .

>$10 for 10 pounds of delicious pork
God bless America.

Came for the bbq, but hot damn those savings .

Keep going, that smoker looks interesting, but how will it perform?

Chopped up Jack Daniels casks, can't think of a better smoking wood. White oak and they really do smell like that delicious beverage!

Looks like a nice smoker. I have a Masterbuilt that looks similar and I love it. Recommend you test the thermometer by putting a digital meat probe on a middle rack because mine is off by @ 12 degrees.

>favourite
>can't do something
We assumed already.

Into the smoke tray. According to the manual a full tray should give smoke for around 8 hours, we shall see. Build quality seems really nice, everything is nice heavy stainless.

Started up the phone app and programmed in my settings. Said 50 minutes or so for it to start the chips smoking and come up to temp, and it will message me when its time to add the meat.

And add the meat I did!

I set it for 225F, and it will message my phone when the probe in the meat reads 200. I expect 12-14 hours or so.

I was surprised that there was no visible smoke coming out but boy could I smell it! And it smelled GOOD!

And that brings us up to the current time. It's been in for about 2 hours so far, and the app says the current internal temp is 78deg. So far so good.

Visible smoke is the bad tasting stuff anyway

>8000 ingredient rub and marinade

i used to be like you, but have since ascended to the salt only masterrace (maybe pepper)

That's ok on beef, but pork needs something.

Why did you start this so late in the morning? It's going to be done at like midnight.

Like I said, personal preference. I like a really flavorful bark. And having done shoulders with and without marinade on the smoker at my old place I found it really helps a lot with moisture and flavor.

I'm a night owl.

>I'm a night owl.
NEET

I have a job, heh.

Its still going strong! Probe temp is up to 100.

Good thread. Post results