What comes after postmodernism?

What comes after postmodernism?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamodernism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-postmodernism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermodernism_(art)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

An era of thought named after me.

Postism

shitposting

21st century

Traditionalism ?

The great financial collapse of 20XX.

Renaissance 2: Electric Boogaloo

collapse

Post-post-modernism

The Emoji Movie.

The metanarrative that metanarratives are obsolete collapses upon its own contradiction; Spirit marches on.

You can't really understand postmodernism if you're still asking temporalized, historicizing questions of it. Postmodernism is phenomenologically characterized by a collapse of historical time. If you're trying to "think your way out of it," you are deepest in its ideology if you think that will happen through its sequential supersession. To put it another way, the modernist injunction to "make it new" was the achievement of the present; postmodernism then would be perpetually in the future, always yet to come to fruition, even though it is "here and now." We haven't seen the worst of it yet, and structurally speaking we never will.

Stop asking what comes "after" postmodernism. Start thinking about what is adjacent to it. What other things are emerging right now alongside it? Where else in the world has it taken hold? Where has it failed to do so, and what is happening there? This is to say that solutions to the problem of postmodernism do not exist in time, but in space. We aren't dealing with history as calendar, but with politics as a map. In a way, this explains why so many on the right have sought to square its circles with postmodernism by nationalist movements: carve out spheres of traditional culture within and against postmodernist global totality. Marxists, of course, have always been anticipating the global moment of capitalism, and through internationalism have always been trying to counter-totalize against it. Right wing nationalism is simply a localized version of the same impulse, which leaves itself vulnerable to reinvestment by postmodernist pastiche insofar as it cannot imagine itself as global; rather than fight back across the world, it establishes itself as one more territory for digestion, one more potential market demographic. (Who do you think is selling the nazis their flags?)

The Age of Aquarius, where love reigns free and good vibes are to be spread all around.

I'd guess some sort of post-anthropocentrism
pre-modern / modern / postmodern / next
>Architecture: tradition / utility / superfluousness / eco-integration
>Politics: nationalism / colonialism / globalism / animals-are-people-too-ism
>Philosophy: religious / grand-schemes / anti-meta-narrative / anti-human-perspective
>etc.
Already see it starting in speculative realism.

That is postmodernist

baneposting

The new sensitivity

Technology makes everyone alone, everybody lives in his tech-bubble and people tell everybody about their loneliness via technology

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamodernism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-postmodernism

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermodernism_(art)

In what way? It's opposed to superfluousness in architecture because it posits an ideal, the use of timeless/ecological design, minimal human impact so at the same time not modernist.
In politics, late capitalism and globalism work in their own interest -- capital wants to generate capital co-opting civilisation as an ally. The reaction is to not privilege human systems over nature, essentially attempting to destroy capital.
In philosophy, post-modernism suspect of truth and metanarritive, generally idealist. Speculative realism presupposes inherent truth but is also realist and universalist beyond human perspective. (Not that it's the only possible movement but perhaps the first).

Good post

Is baneposting not postmodern?

You have the right idea of the underlying philosophical dimension of the global New Right (a backlash against postmodernist global totality, as you call it), but tangible economic factors like outsourcing of jobs and loss of national control over the economy play a greater role imo.

I always thought it was more modernist

>but tangible economic factors like outsourcing of jobs and loss of national control over the economy play a greater role imo.

you're right. but i dont really think culture and economics can or should be so cleanly cut from each other.

>opposed to superfluousness

literally not, harman asserts of speculative realism that for ontological truth, "aesthetics is first philosophy." it's the final becoming-superfluous of philosophical thinking. it happily has nothing of value to say.

the susceptibility of ecology to architectural design is itself historically conditioned.

the problem with an ecological vision of anti-capitalism is that ignores the fact that global heat death is, for nature, neither a triumph nor a failure; it simply "is" nature. for us though, it represents the failure of humanity to conquer nature, both within and without itself. so hitching revolutionary hopes to natural supersession of capitalism is nihilistic, because the most likely form of that supersession (barring actual revolutionary activity in the economic base) is the destruction of humanity (save possibly for a few billionaires who migrate to the moon with their robots servants)

Non-essentialism, inhumanism (distinct from post-humanism), bio-ruism (Jordan Peterson is already going in this direction), Stirnerian egoism, anything that can move past a reality of pure non-value is, without rejecting the fact that a reality of pure non-value is the actual case, I think, viable. So the answer is not get rid of anthropocentrism, but to demonolithize it.

Hyperrealism.

Fugg, that's the wrong quote.

Anyway, since we're at it.

The reason vaporwave is the only legitimate current musical movement outside of extremism, is that it has a perverted sense of time. By this I mean that, where the conservative viewpoint strives for an idealized past (being essentially traumatic), and progressivism answers this by conjuring a future in which the past will be overcome, vaporwave does not continue the dialectic and instead takes upon itself neither of the idealized non-presents, but the failed proposed futures. It is therefore, a second affirmation, an "undead" aesthetic, in which the present is contrasted with the future-of-the-past that it didn't become. Vaporwave is, technically, not ironic: while it doesn't "mean" anything, its critique is not based on the failures of what it presents; rather it is based on the differences between that and what's outside. In a life of constant optimization where your phone upgrades itself every day, it fixates on how our predictions have already failed; therefore its cathartic effects. After all, every twobit gamer knows the graphics were fine like they were.

While this seems inconsequential in the short run, in the long run it could mean something like the Tolkienian project is completely viable; i.e. that a Tlön could come to be our honest reality, if it isn't already becoming it. After all: "a group of intelligent men who pretend to be idiots will soon find the company of fools who think they have found home."

Contrarianism

nihilism you stupid piece of shit

Literature-wise, where on the timeline does the Shitposting Era start?

meta-modernism

I think poetry is going to have a moment then we will have romantic revivalism

Postmodernism ended in 2016. What is happening now has no accepted name and is not yet widely understood. Movements exist largely in hindsight.

>Postmodernism ended in 2016.
[Citation needed]

Retarded-autists-with-developmental-disorders-and-extensive-attention-deficit-disorders-fighting over-canned-goods-in-a-hellish-dystopia ism.

Trumpism

Pre-postmodern philosophy largely compartmentalized reality into forms, categories, and substances.
Postmodernism disrupts this verticality through the dissolution of dichotomies into spectra. The human being is smeared across the plane of immanence.
What comes next is about recognizing that humanity can neither embody the plane nor perceive it with neutrality; that humanity is ultimately a cluster of coordinates scattered across the plane. Holographic verticality will be restored through an explicitly antrhopocentric functionalism that demarcates spectra into spectral densities on the basis of a fundamental bio-substrate.

I like this.

>The metanarrative that metanarratives are obsolete collapses upon its own contradiction

A disregard of metanarratives is not itself a metanarratives. That's like saying a repudiation of metaphysical propositions is in itself a system of metaphysics.

Suicide

Vajrayāna Buddhism.

nonpostmodernism

Posthumanism in a very literal way.

Infinite Jest.

you are the faggot that wrote that zero book on vaporware i am sure

Postmodernism is the apotheosis of a centuries-in-the-making mass delusion by which people either unable or disinclined to distinguish the laws of nature from the laws of civilization, the authority of god from the divinity of the state, or the unreal reality from hyperreal simulation. This condition is at least partly maintained through the progressive's monopoly over the state information-apparatus. Reality, normalacy, and social conventions, and other such hyperstitional institutions are formed through democratic consensus.Whoever controls this consensus controls the fictive narrative of civilization. However, the highly distributed nature of the internet made it possible for dissident voices to disrupt the consensus. While the schism has been present and brewing since the inception of the internet, it most spectacularly materialized with the victory of Donald Trump. It is not coincidental (but very ironic) that info-apparatus consensus formers began running stories about how we have moved into a "post-truth era" (the irony is that the post-truth era began with the emergence of agriculture several thousand years ago).
Now, postmodernism's disdain for "grand meta-narratives" has spawned legions of larping communists and nazis, using postmodern tactics to evade their opponents and pre-postmodern tactics to solidify their base. Under such conditions, it no longer makes sense to position these factions within some sort postmodern spectrum in the first place. They are simply awakened to the malleability innate to all civilizationally-organized realities.

only correct answer

If we knew it would have already happened. I do hope that it is something that is removed from the modernism umbrella instead of another ____modernism.

and in 2008... and in 2001... and in 1991... and in 1980...

not a single coherent thought, doesn't really argue anything, just lists some cringingly undergraduate observations. read a book.

Solipsism

How are my observations cringey, and what books would you recommend? Genuinely asking.

joyce

Modernism was a rejection of tradition, post-modernism is a rejection of meta-narratives. Maybe something like the New Sincerity will happen and reject irony, or maybe we'll see a relapse because of academia's lack of communication with the outside world, or at least the parts that matter.

alright, since you asked. it's a combination of a prosaic imagination and a limited understanding of what postmodernism means, has meant, as a periodizing concept.

your writing is very cliched. as a result, your ideas are as well. sentences like this:

>While the schism has been present and brewing since the inception of the internet, it most spectacularly materialized with the victory of Donald Trump.

this is more determined by its lazy writing than any thought that might be behind it. what i mean is that you don't really have to understand anything about contemporary political life to suppose that what you see on Veeky Forums has bubbled over into electoral politics. this is the major cnn take right now, and it is almost certainly incorrect or at least incomplete. but its more importantly based on a really common analytical structure, where something happening in an obscure cultural sphere "materializes spectacularly" in a more visible one. it's not an insight; it's a regurgitation, and the genericity of the syntax in which its expressed is the symptom of that.

i will now say ive been a little harsh; i think you're basically correct when you say post-truth started with agriculture. but other than that, your distinctions and dualisms are far too abstract to be of any real use for thinking about social life. "the unreal reality from the hyperreal simulation." gag! this is just verbal masturbation, totally devoid of content. you have to earn something like that if you really are daring enough to say it; you might get some neckbeards around here to nod and tut-tut but it really won't cut it if you're trying to express yourself in writing.

your notion of "consensus" is crude and underdeveloped. you vaguely allude to some conspiratorial body but fail to name it. instead you simply echo (again) the widely held assumption that some control-valve has sprung a leak, without analyzing why or how. you just notice that it has happened.

it's that basic lack of rigor, that willingness to repeat things that are widely acknowledged, combined with the pseudo-profundity you festoon it with, that made me cringe reading your paragraph.

now, now. what to read? i would go all the way back to the origins of modern economics, if you really want to understand society. read Smith, yes, and Marx—but also Ricardo, and Malthus. go back even further and read Locke. read Hobbes. then come forward. read the Austrians. read Weber. read Keynes. read the neoliberals (Hayek and Friedman, Becker and Bell). read the Marxists; the Frankfurt School, Gramsci, Althusser and following. then read Foucault, Latour, and probably Weber again. you should read Jameson on postmodernism, then others who have replied to him.

you should read all of these people. read widely, not deeply, unless someone really grabs you. you'll see how much more complex all of these ideas really are.

Cornball reconstruction

Postmodernism always existed. The empire never ended. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be.

I like this and am down for post-humanism. Postmodernism will collapse not as we 'progress' past it but as we lose interest in the symbol, which will come about from realizing that thought, humanity, and culture are not all that interesting. A turning outward to the outside universe of animals, planets, and cosmic systems, without religious awe or metaphysical speculation. Environmentalism, and a focus on the non-human in art, a decrease in interest in the human spirit, history, human nature / the human heart, etc. Not metaphysics but fluid dynamics, set theory, horticulture, etc. take their place.

we pass go and collect $200

Why, neomedievalism, of course.

Despair

underrated
I relate to this narcissism as I completely believe this

Thank you for the criticism! You are correct that my writing is cliched. I've been interested in philosophy for a while now, and to supplement my reading and studying, my general strategy has been to fake it until I make it. That is, I try to outline some of my thoughts as means of clarification and articulation, rather than pure transmission. Although it's painful, I appreciate feedback like this. There's no way I can say this without sounding like a fraud, but some of the things I'm talking about allude to deeper ideas that I'm not quite able to explain yet. For instance, I feel very justified in my usage of the phrase "the unreal reality and the hyperreal simulation." A lot of my current thinking centers upon the differences between fiction and reality, what heuristics can be used to distinguish the two, and how civilization is not only a process that enables retreats into fiction, but rather a fiction in-of-itself, and how in some cases a fiction can overwhelm and overpower reality, which seems to contradict our understanding of the reality/fiction dichotomy in the first place.

>i think you're basically correct when you say post-truth started with agriculture
Out of curiosity, why do agree? I'm always interested when my thoughts converge with another random internet person.

The Bible

Collapse

>A disregard of metanarratives is not itself a metanarratives.
The story that Lyotard et al. tell is both empirically and formally untenable.

>That's like saying a repudiation of metaphysical propositions is in itself a system of metaphysics.
"Eliminative" metaphysics is a system of metaphysics that one fails to put into words, yes.

that's old news, pops

New Autism
soy products and codependence with real-time technology will usher us into an era where neurotypical behavior isn't the norm. Expect literalist art or something akin to New Sincerity without being post-ironic

Anthropotechnics.

Nothing.

Nice one Mark

Memes and youtubepoop.

Post-Conservadurism
We are already entering in it, can't you see?

The 'text' in the postmodern sense is dead. Postmodernism will disappear, like letters written in sand.
It has never been new, it thrives on old distinctions. It will produce new distinctions, which only marginally differ from the old.
It proclaimed the end of metaphysics, and replaced it by something which only distinguished itself by a new name.

Seriously though, it will be 'new appreciation'

>T. I have read a lot of books I don't really understand yet I feel empowered and entitled by them so I will write a long text using a glorified ad hominem followed by an argumentum ad autoritatem while trying to write in a semi-academic manner in a Vietnamese minnow-farming symposium just to prove how smart I am even though deep down I know I can only spew the same pseudo-intellectual wankery again and again because despite those audio books I fall asleep listening to I have no idea how the world actually works and therefore I get lost in the perception of another deluded man greater than myself because it feels better than to actually think and confirm my own mediocrity.
Are you perchance a teacher?
Well, when you're here you're just a crab in a bucket full of crabs, Mr.English teacher.

Shape without form, shade without color.
Paralysed force, feature without motion.
Fucking Eliot nailed the whole XXth XXIth thing

beyond deconstruction comes Integration.

neo- empiricism and Neo-Natualism

How did you know that I'm a huge Eliot fan? I swear I did not even think of him when I wrote that post.

Yes yes very interesting.

Post-industrial romanticism.

I think every new century starts with something akin to a "modernist" (but obviously not modernist in the strict sense) turn which lasts for about 30 years from say xx10 to xx50 then peters out into more pessimistic sentiments as the projects of that century inevitably fail.

I do think that in the last two years this century has aquired a flavour which is distinct from previous centuries.

I'm by no means any kind of /pol/ nazi but I've noticed myself and all of my actually hep, non-boring friends start to think along more traditionalist lines, and start to reclaim some sense of the masculine (starting to take an interest in making themselves well situated in their physical bodies; starting to become more assertive when people try to shout them down)--and this has happened independent of any exposure to those gay alpha supplement people with the blogs and what have you. This turn towards tradition is not instigated by /pop/ frogmen but is very much in the air, those who are unaffected are unaffected because they have closed themselves off deliberately. The general trend will undoubtably be towards tradition.

This has obvious implications for form. I don't see us going back to traditional forms of poetry from free verse, but I see free verse becoming vastly more restrained. Also I want a revival of epic poetry but idk if that'll happen.

Where many of the great novels of the modernist era were psychological (stream of consciousness etc.), I have an instinct that the great novels of this century will take a sociological turn, concerning themselves far more with the relations of people and peoples than the individual psyche. The nation will again become of primary importance in our stories.

What's certain is a "human" turn in fiction, where novels will again become interested in depicting people in detail and nuance rather than caricature. The postmodern treatment of the human figure is the aspect of the movement which will be most reviled in times to come and viewed entirely as a mistake and an aberration.

Finally, very few of the great radical works of the first half of this century will be traditionally published. Artists will find some alternative to traditional publishing, which will in fact become a mark of shame in real artistic communities, like having published pulp or pornography in the past. The distribution networks of the millennial artist are yet to be created, but this infrastructure is inevitable. Small by dedicated readerships.

People expecting some radical break from the past will probably be disappointed. Novels are novels are books are books, and nothing is so original when you understand it's contexts and predecessors.

>which lasts for about 30 years from say xx10 to xx50
This is why I'm not a mathematician

What do we have in store for the future of the American left? The Rock vs Kanye West vs Mark Zuckerberg? Ironic Marxism?

>but I've noticed myself and all of my actually hep, non-boring friends start to think along more traditionalist lines
Are you absolutely certain this has nothing to do with you guys getting older?

Anime primitivism

I didn't know Miyazaki was my nigga

reset

What would a reimbracing of traditionalism be called? And no not political.

>what i mean is that you don't really have to understand anything about contemporary political life to suppose that what you see on Veeky Forums has bubbled over into electoral politics.

I want to defend user on this one because I think there is a link between the postmodern/post-truth upheaval and Internet culture that has not been thoroughly investigated by people better read than all of us. The fact no one took Veeky Forums, or Donald Trump, or the alt-right, or any of these entities seriously just a couple of years ago is telling of how far the acceptable limits of what constitutes truth have been stretched. If there is a distinguishable trajectory common to each, we have to ask where it's headed, and who threw the stone.

I also think people underestimate how smart some of the people on /pol/ are. They have come to grips with never being able to find truth, and so, they have created their own with no regard for the common moral laws which have bound political discourse since modernity- chief is the idea the world can at all be fair. Think about what an term like 'virtue signalling' or 'SJW' says about the person who employs it: they assume the mere notion a person might have- or can have- altruistic intentions is so unlikely that it deserves merciless, unbridled scorn.

Like I said, I haven't found any serious scholars of Internet culture, though if anyone has any recommendations I would love to hear them. Don't let CNN co-opt an entire school of thought, reduce to the most sensational level, and say that's as far as it can go.

>Environmentalism, and a focus on the non-human in art, a decrease in interest in the human spirit, history, human nature / the human heart, etc. Not metaphysics but fluid dynamics, set theory, horticulture, etc. take their place.

The problem is user that this reality would inevitably be more dystopian than utopian. There are six billion plus people on Earth, and a fraction of a percent are cognitively capable of apprehending the natural world to a degree where its sustained awe can sufficiently replace religion and ideology. This is the problem that faces every era- how do you prevent six billion-something people from losing their minds? Well, you give them a purpose, and tell them not to think on it too much. The deification of science would result in a kind of fascism motivated by science as a religion itself, with people blindly subjecting themselves to it precisely because they cannot fully understand its mechanisms.

Probably this. I think society will at least make a last ditch effort to see some semblance of beauty in this consumerist wasteland. Vaporwave is a fledgling sign of this. This sounds gay as fuck, but I can't wait to see what the 20-something Veeky Forums crowd produces literature-wise, provided it actually has the motivation to stop shitposting and mocking itself.

... Traditionalism.

Revivalism

God save the West! I seek forgiveness for my people and for their transgressions, for their iniquity is great.

con't from >The nation will again become of primary importance in our stories.

For this to happen, we need to see the emergence of a successful centrist or left-wing nationalist movement in the Western world just so that the masses stop making the jump from nationalism to fascism and authoritarianism. Until the left stops alienating everyone with this half-intellectualised identity politics rhetoric, insofar the only thing any of these groups have in common is weakness, forget about the cultivation of any new national myths.

>The postmodern treatment of the human figure is the aspect of the movement which will be most reviled in times to come and viewed entirely as a mistake and an aberration.

This, so much

>The distribution networks of the millennial artist are yet to be created, but this infrastructure is inevitable.

You say this and then bookend it by saying 'people expecting a radical break from the past will be disappointed', so I'm a little confused. Do you mean something like Internet-exclusive publishing?

Unironically, the post-genetic era. Gene modification technology is already changing the world, but we have yet to see it anywhere near its apex. Once gene-tech like crisper cas9 hits the mainstream we are going to see some serious shit. People will have a hard time understanding its full implications and many others will be duking it out for control of the narrative.

>What comes after postmodernism?
giggles

>The deification of science would result in a kind of fascism motivated by science as a religion itself, with people blindly subjecting themselves to it precisely because they cannot fully understand its mechanisms.
Is this not already becoming a mainstream current? It's irrelevant whether it's dystopian, in a sense so is postmodernism, the movements develop organically -- if they were motivated by pragmatism they'd just be pragmatism.
>This is the problem that faces every era- how do you prevent six billion-something people from losing their minds?
Something non-anthropocentric could certainly cause this but isn't the point of something non-anthropocentric that it doesn't matter? The point is not to privilege man within the ecosystem; if humanity goes insane, what does it matter to nature?
>a fraction of a percent are cognitively capable of apprehending the natural world to a degree where its sustained awe can sufficiently replace religion and ideology
It's the opposite of trying to surpass anything in awe, it's the loss of interest in anything. Science may in some sense inspire awe with in some through the galaxies, the deep, the brain, etc. But for the most part it strips the magic away. Nobody is shocked that the number of stars is incomprehensible to the human mind any more, it's just a fact.