Evan Dara is an American postmodern novelist. In 1995, his first novel, The Lost Scrapbook...

>Evan Dara is an American postmodern novelist. In 1995, his first novel, The Lost Scrapbook, won the 12th Annual FC2 Illinois State University National Fiction Competition judged by William T. Vollmann.

>The manuscript was originally brought to the publisher's attention by novelist Richard Powers, who described how he received it:

>“Several kilos of transatlantic, boat-rate typescript arrived on my stoop without prior warning of contents, and I’ve been grateful ever since. Dara shows how a novel can be experimental, yet moral, rule breaking but emotional, and post-humanist while still remaining deeply human. This scrapbook builds in stretches until the whole police blotter cum family album lies open in aerial view. Monumental, unforgiving, cunning and heartfelt, it lets no one off the hook, least of all the reader.

>"This first novel resembles the ambitious debuts of McElroy (A Smuggler's Bible) and Pynchon (V), but author Evan Dara pushes the bar back upward toward Recognitions-height.

>However, he has responded on separate occasions about the influence of William Gaddis on his style. In an indirect reply to a query from the critic Tom LeClair—in which he confirmed that he uses a pseudonym—Dara denied having read either The Recognitions or J R.[2] In 2014, the critic Steven Moore followed up on this question:

>“Asked about Gaddis’s possible influence, Dara told me that while working on The Lost Scrapbook he head that J R was a novel in dialogue and checked it out from The American Library in Paris: ‘Took the novel home, plunked it open, tapped it shut — didn’t want the influence’ (email January 19, 2014).”

>As opposed to other reclusive American writers such as J.D. Salinger, Thomas Pynchon, and Harper Lee, nothing is known about Dara's background or the reasons why he writes under a pseudonym. And unlike the pseudonymous Elena Ferrante, Dara has never given an interview or commented on his books.

Is he /ourguy?/

We're reading Evan Dara's The Lost Scrapbook on the Veeky Forums Discord. Join us and get in on the next big meme.

discord.gg/krcRqbz

This sounds like a fake author desu. Does anyone actually own his books?

Get back to serving the public, old man

I tried to post about him like two years ago and the thread didn't get any responses.

have you read any of his stuff user? thoughts?

bump

me too, except a few months ago.

>another obscure maximalist american pomo author

give it up no one wants to read this shit

t-thx senpai

wtf i've never heard of him, my wallet is going to suffer

Can anybody hook me up with a digital copy real quick?

don't think it exists but there's some stuff on Google books you can browse

its only like 12 - 15 bucks for a book user and he only has 3 you'll be fine

Nobody can possibly be stupid enough to fall for a viral marketing scam this blatant.
Then again, many of you guys are desperate to be trendy.

this reads like a PR stunt by the writer

>nothing is known about this obscure writer's background

no shit.

it's actually good though

Why can't you evaluate a work based on its merit as opposed to crying about the persona behind the work?

Your writing isn't nearly as great as you think it is, and it's certainly not worth $15.

what a worthless post and what a waste of digits

Satan's trips = undisputable fact
Sorry buddy

>into the void
You're cribbing your metaphors from YuGiOh cards and/or Nietzche. Stop.

>co-ordinate free space
This is a meaningless statement.

>solitariness
Disgusting.

The broader voice/tone waffles back and forth between conversational and pseudo-academic, which is distracting, but not necessarily awful. Overall, 5/10, not bad but hardly worth reading.

And don't shill yourself.

samefag go home

coordinate-free space is very different than co-ordinate free space

you have outed yourself as an illiterate brainlet

please go back to r/books

thank you

>implying only one (1) e/lit/ist would criticize mediocre writing
How new are you? Seriously, did you just get here today?

>using a reddit browser

go back

>everything i don't like is reddit
>reddit spacing
no u

you're trying way too hard newfag

because it's presenting itself, here and now, with a personality before the work. OP's post is basically "I'm so original and fucking edgy I didnt want to read the Recognitions because It'll influence me" That is some fucking pretentious dribble if I ever heard some. And the flashy "found text on my doorstep" cheese turd sounds like it was scrounged up from an airport detective novel.

you have no idea who richard powers is do you?

also it was J R, not recognitions. confirmed for poor reading comprehension

bump