Did /Cliff/ jump the shark?

He had a great channel that focused on recommending books. Just giving you enough information to peak your interest. Now that he is trying to "analyze" the books he recommends it has all gone to shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f-GGALlLkIw
youtube.com/watch?v=wvRf5rh1LiA
youtube.com/watch?v=1ATZjOeFyTw
youtube.com/watch?v=cXjRfLIp89M
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Any video of his in which this is most blatant?

youtube.com/watch?v=f-GGALlLkIw

>He had a great channel that focused on recommending books.
>Link is his first video
>Relatively short, 5 minute overview about other and his works

wot?

I think he meant that vid is the "short" style, but the thing is that he is running a Patreon now and has to create more content for his viewers, so I'm guessing this is his way of doing it. I agree his shorter videos were better, more personal and less rehersed. but whatever, putting your face and opinions out there along a personality is hard enough as it is, and now you got a bunch of Anons scrutinizing you, let him do whatever and watch his videos or not.

Will /Cliff/ survive?

>I think he meant that vid is the "short" style
Ah.. gotcha.

>I agree his shorter videos were better, more personal and less rehersed.
I prefer the older style as well, though I wouldn't necessarily call it less rehearsed.
I find the constant 'uhms' in his newer videos to be really annoying at times.
It's almost as though instead of formulating sentences to express himself he just inserts some uhhs and umms to create the appearance of something 'deep'.

RIP

youtube.com/watch?v=wvRf5rh1LiA

He's always been more obsessed with appearances than anything approaching actual criticism. That's why he spends a solid third of his videos talking about anything BUT the book. His "reviews" are rarely more than a synopsis with a couple tepid anecdotes that he manages to stretch into ten-minute videos with a lot of hemming and hawing.

I liked him early on when he at least tried to gesture toward something resembling literary analysis but lately it's become clear the entire channel is a monument to his own vanity.

That said I haven't seen anything he's posted since he did that tour of Europe or whatever. Right around the time he started accepting manuscripts for review (if you paid him enough) is when I fell off the wagon.

> Right around the time he started accepting manuscripts for review (if you paid him enough) is when I fell off the wagon.

That did it for me as well. It just has a certain arrogance to it, even though the concept isn't bad.

Pique

Faggoty narcissist

>Right around the time he started accepting manuscripts for review (if you paid him enough) is when I fell off the wagon.
yep

His latest one is a slog. Just aimless talking and repeating himself. I'd much prefer constant jumpcuts than long-winded nothing

It was so damn entitled. Like, he hadn't demonstrated nearly enough critical muscle to do something so shameless and expect to be taken seriously.

Both of his Huysmans's reviews are close to being the worst videos on youtube

His dumb fans probably spammed him with "review my fanfiction senpai I'll pay you notice me" and he said fuck it I'll take your money sure.

>He had a great channel
Ha. I have never seen a video of his where he gets any deeper than the surface level analysis of a book. The fact that he's not embarrassed by his level of understanding, and indeed thinks his "insights" are worth sharing, embodies everything wrong with booktubers.

Yeah, this, except I didn't like him early on because is shallowness was always blatantly obvious.

He didn't had a greta channel, what are you talking about?

I don't even care his reviews are superficial as fuck, for me the biggest problem is that they have no sincerity, is pure ego. Even on regular booktubers sometimes you can see sicnerity, somebody that truly enjoys what they read and want to talk about it

So, for me, a youtube video on books should have at least one of these:
>insight on the work
>true passion/sincerity about the subject, don't even need to be deep, just enough energy to make you want to read the work
>funny memes

He has none

I only ever watched his review of Pessoa and that was enough for me. It was obvious that his background research was just reading a Wikipedia article and then he just sprinkled anecdotes about his trip to Lisbon and stared melancholically into the camera. Like dog you're a grown ads man not a fifteen year old going through his first existential crisis.

Why do Americans feel the need to try to mimic an accent when they talk about foreigners? Why don't you do like us (I'm French) and just use our French intuition to pronounce names?

cliff = certified cuckold

youtube.com/watch?v=1ATZjOeFyTw

>peak your interest.

I thought he lived in LA?

St. Petersburg, FL.

why is he reviewing shit his faggot patrons are sending him for free? wonder how much the cunt who sent him that arabic book is giving him since he felt the need to make a whole video about it

BORGES

I guess that's just what you do when you're a cultureless American.

the guy has 20k subscribers
why does Veeky Forums tear the guy apart like hes got millions of followers to influence

because he used to be one of us

Another excuse to dodge his patreon responsibilities. Embarrassing!

youtube.com/watch?v=cXjRfLIp89M

>peak

When they talk about foreigners or when they say a foreigner's name? It is generally a sign of respect for the pronunciation and the name itself. It is also so as not to be corrected by some snooty shithead who will pounce on you if you say the name wrong in conversation. And also so that you may pounce on people in turn if they fuck up. You wouldn't make it in America kid.

I'm still dumbfounded by the fact that at least two people on Veeky Forums fell for this guy's charade. How could you not see that he was a sood from watching even a minute of one of his videos?

>sood
>Meaning a "posh" or a "cool" place or thing. The word originates from the tamil word "sood" meaning hot(literally). But the usage of "sood" is to define coolness.
>"Orange county is a sood place man" "That's a sood phone you have"

It's a meme you dip

He used to frequent Veeky Forums and stalk threads about books he would wind up reviewing a couple weeks later and is one of the board's more persistent shills. He's said in videos that his goal is to be the Anthony Fantano of literature, if you harbor any delusions about his intentions.