CYBERPUNK

CYBERPUNK

I've been trying to find some interesting cyberpunk novels, but most of what I've found were just pulpy stories that relied on technological gimmicks.

What are the must-reads of the genre?

I'm especially looking for novels about virtual/artificial reality and transhumanism.

Doesn't have to be strictly cyberpunk though.

I've already read Gibson and Dick.

>but most of what I've found were just pulpy stories that relied on technological gimmicks.
what did you expect?

>CYBERPUNK
>technological gimmicks
Choose both, or it's just fucking sci-fi

read this?

try this

Where is the right-wing cyberpunk?

Reactionary politics and a technocratic dystopia seem a perfect fit, yet every cyberpunk writer I know of is a basic bitch liberal who reads the New York Times and huffs Obama's farts

Technological gimmicks are fine when they actually play an important part in the narrative without overshadowing it.

But many of the novels I've started to read were just cliché stories "BUT WITH X".

Gonna give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
The premise reminds me a bit of Hideaki Sena's Parasite Eve.

You're probably better off with military sci-fi like Starship Troopers.

>just pulpy stories that relied on technological gimmicks
yep

Where is the left wing cyberpunk?

Reactionary politics and a technocratic dystopia seem a perfect fit, yet every cyberpunk writer I know of is a basic bitch neo-liberal who watches the Fox News and huffs Trump's farts

Snow Crash, Altered Carbon. Heard Vurt recommended, but I dunno if it's good or even really cyberpunk.

Second Altered Carbon. Fucking genius book.

bruce sterling's "islands in the net" is a little skewed because he wrote it before the internet became as big a thing as it is today, but even so it's pretty good - it touches on the idea of drone warfare and technological terrorism (beta-carboline pellet guns attached to the underside of taxis, lol), and it's not as far-fetched as a lot of cyberpunk.

Sort of cyberpunkish is Sewer, Gas, Electric by Matt Ruff. It's sort of an anti-Atlas Shrugged

Nice, I'll check this out thank you user.

Unironically Nick Land.

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

It's probably me recommending Vurt. And here I am recommending it again.

Sewer, Gas & Electric is great.

eh, might not be what you're looking for, but i enjoyed ryu mitsuse's "10 billion days and 100 billion nights". cyberpunk on shrooms if it didn't take itself so seriously, which it wouldn't if it were on shrooms.

Underrated post. Is there any centrist cyberpunk out there?

Read rubblepunk instead