Casey Affleck Lands First Post-Oscar Role in ‘Stoner’ With Blumhouse, Joe Wright

variety.com/2017/film/news/casey-affleck-blumhouse-joe-wright-stoner-1202547390/

“Because the novel is so beautiful but not well-known, fans of ‘Stoner’ feel like they’re in a secret club.

Are we a sceret club? Also do you think that stoner is a good material for movie adaptation?

Other urls found in this thread:

variety.com/2017/film/news/casey-affleck-blumhouse-joe-wright-stoner-1202547390/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Can't wait to see Affleck rape Edith

Do people actually believe this?

Nu-males love repeating it because they can't stand a self respecting white man getting recognition

>“Because the novel is so beautiful but not well-known, fans of ‘Stoner’ feel like they’re in a secret club.

For the last two years or so, Stoner, for whatever reason, has been very popular in Sweden. Walking into a bookstore, Stoner is pretty much the only classic novel you will see, except of course for the usual suspects like novels written by Austen, a Brontë sister, Harper Lee, Fitzgerald or some Swedish authors. I've even seen a few copies of it in a supermarket, standing next to crime thrillers and other quality literature such as "Ja jag har mens, hurså?", that was actually quite bizarre.

Redpill me on Sweish Veeky Forums, Sven.

I love this casting. Manchester by Sea made it very clear that Casey can play an awkward, soft spoken guy with depths of passion, though I'm a little sceptical as to how they'll age him up over the course of the movie. He goes from strapping farmhand to withered old man, and that can't be easy to do with a single actor. Very keen to see who they get to play the others too, though I doubt they'll look the way I imagined while reading the book.

My biggest concern is that they might struggle to convey Stoner's love of English. In the book so much of it was internal, with him struggling to express it (especially early on), so Casey's got some tough work ahead of him.

Plus it'll get more people to read Stoner, and that can't be a bad thing. A perfect time to start pushing it onto friends who like movies and keep talking about how they wish they read more.

butchers crossing is better

ben afflek is a bitch getting bogged down in comic book movies

Just started reading Stoner, this makes me happy I like Casey

>variety.com/2017/film/news/casey-affleck-blumhouse-joe-wright-stoner-1202547390/
i really dont see how they can adapt it. most dialogue isnt actually said, its just referred to. its gonna be missing a lot of the passion from the novel. regardless, i hope it does the story well.

Wasn't he in hot water for sexual harassment? Can't wait for the shit show when someone writes an article on it

Case was thrown out because there was literally no evidence he did anything. Hopefully people will remember that.

Eh, who'm I kidding.

> Are we a secret club

Maybe in the very broadest scope of popular culture, but the book has sold millions of copies. It's not particularly obscure.

> Also do you think that stoner is a good material for movie adaptation?

Partially. I think it will be difficult to portray the nuances of Stoner without the first-person perspective. Aside from that gripe though I'd say the setting and period of the story are very cheap to produce and the scenarios themselves are simple enough that I don't see issues with portraying them.

>Joe Wright

Worst possible choice.

Fuck off, Atonement is kino

to be honest ALL sex is rape

Listen and believe shitlord

Its soccer mom tier

REEEEEEEEEEEEE

What's the point of adapting a perfect novel? It's even highly accessible, not difficult to read. Nearly everyone who finishes it says they loved it and its perfect.

What's the point of putting it on a screen? What's to be gained?

Fucking hollywood...

Most people don't read user, a page containing words is literally not accessible to like 95% of people

Female (Male) poster here and I agree, though I don't complain.

Casey Affleck is a good actor, but I wonder if he's right for this part. I think the only way the film will work is if it keeps Williams's narration, like how PTA worked Pynchon's prose into his adaption of Inherent Vice.

It was like that in Finland a couple of years back when the finnish translation got released. Suddenly my friends and a few family members, who don't read that much, can't fucking stop mentioning it over and over again. Was nice being able to talk about it with them though.

It was medicore and just the shitty version of The Go between.