What's your go-to book for when you're travelling? Pic related; it's mine

What's your go-to book for when you're travelling? Pic related; it's mine.

I usually walk into Borders in the airport and pick up whichever of the top sellers looks the most 'now'

You read stuff you've already read? The only book I've read multiple times is LOTR. Didn't care for Moby Dick, too much taxonomy. Inb4 Melville internet defence force call me a pleb.

>The only book I've read multiple times is LOTR. Didn't care for Moby Dick, too much taxonomy.
tfw no oliver wendell holmes bf to sterilize this imbecile

>tfw no oliver wendell holmes bf to sterilize this imbecile
Fuck you you cunt. You don't know me. I knew maginas would get pissed when I said I didn't like Moby Dick.

>dislikes real whale and whaling facts
>likes made up histories and genealogies

We all have our own tastes. Moby Dick had it's moments but for me it dragged on a bit.

leave and never come back.

Why not read something new? Having a go-to book for traveling sounds like a dumb idea to me.

I want you to know that I can snap your neck like a twig and I will do it without a second though if I ever see you on the street. Watch your back, fuckhead. I will destroy you, physically.

Ok, post your facebook name, we can continue the conversation there. Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough.

Sherlock Holmes

This is the only reasonable response in this stupid thread.

I enjoyed reading Neuromancer while taking a train from New York to Illinois. I felt like I was zipping through the Sprawl.

Samuel J. Hyde. Boston.

You must not travel that much. I get tired of re-reading after I can start quoting...
Quick question though:
It seems like there are often multiple Moby Dick threads each day on Veeky Forums, yet I rarely see any other Melville work even mentioned... what are our other favorites by him?
I'm partial to White Jacket, myself.

Why don't you fuck yourself, cunt? At least he re read the book, unlike most of the pseuds here, including (You). But hey don't worry, you fit right in! Maggot.

You are entitled to your opinion, even though it is a bad one.

Moby Dick was sublime in many ways, but honestly, I preferred Typee.

I hate myself but it's true.

I like to carry two physically small/medium sized books, often a fiction and a non-fiction.

For fiction I can usually bring whatever I'm reading at the time, if it's a small or medium sized book, preferably with great prose to get the most joy out of each sentence. Last time I brought Swann's Way to Washington DC during the cherry blossom season. Proust's descriptions of the flowers and nature in Combray was a lovely compliment to the beautiful cherry blossom season in Washington DC. This was unplanned. I was in ugly NYC all winter so it was nice to have a renewed appreciation for aesthetic beauty in the world, and got me to go outside more ever since.

For non-fiction I like to carry something that is small but provides lots of substance in each page, with a lot of rereadability. Meditations by Marcus Aurelius is ideal, so is Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu.

It also helps me deal with some existential dread I face when I fly, as I catch myself irrationally fearful of dying in a crash or terrorist attack. Usually by the time we take off I've knocked out a few pages and accepted death, and basking in the beauty of Joyce or Proust's writing after I put the non-fiction away I sometimes even welcome death. Upon landing in the new placed I am completely immersed in the present moment for the duration of the trip, with all my past concerns behind me. It became such a routine that I've implemented it into my daily life separate from traveling and it's pretty nice tbqh.

I carry a copy of The Invisible Man around with me wherever I go
I hardly ever read it, I've been stuck on chapter 6 for 5 months now