Is Faust Part II worth reading?

Is Faust Part II worth reading?

It's the only part of Faust worth reading you roaster

Which translations of Faust parts 1&2 are best?

Faust cannot be translated. You're better off just reading the wikipedia summary if you're not going to read it in German, to be honest.

please mods burn this fucking board down

kill yourself cuck just learn german

lmao what hte fuck is that cover

if you don't read it in german you don't get the eloquence of its language nor the rhythm and melody that comes with its style. All you get is the plot, which you can just as easily get from wikipedia or sparknotes. Either go german or go home.

>the eloquence of its language nor the rhythm and melody that comes with its style

Why must people think aesthetics is the only reasons to read or write?

Holy shit, that is fucking ignorant.

aesthetics is the only reason to do anything

it's a poem, bro. of course aesthetics are important.

you are a faggot

>cuck
kys my man

you are a retarded
no translation will be equivalent, this goes for anything BUT reading a translation by someone who:
>understand the language way better than you
>understand the author and his work better than you
both in a scholar level will give you more than "the plot" you gigantic cocksucker
reading an interpretation by someone that studied the language and author for fucking YEARS will give you more than a medium level german reading of this work, a fucking complex work even for people that speak german fluently
so yeah, you my man is a retarded, die in a fire

then why don't you kill yourself you ugly son of a bitch?

thats an angry lookin vagina

It's fucking incredible
kys

Not really. Goethe didn't even want to write it.

let me put it in simple terms. reading this in anything but german is like having someone chew on a delicious steak, spit it out, and then feed it to you.

let me put it in simple terms, you should kill yourself tonight mate

Please cease this shitposting. It's a Goethe thread, you know how much more of these this board could use?

The better question is whether Faust IV is worth listening to. And the answer to that question is: yes.

Part II is much more interesting

Debatable. C'est Com...Com...Compliqué might just be the ONLY Faust worth listening to

Their self-titled goes so far beyond simply being the greatest record ever made that it isn't funny. It's probably the only important thing humans have ever done.

lmfao. this is actually gr8 b8

>implying ugly people can have beautiful deaths

Faust > Faust IV = So Far > the rest

To be honest, Faust II is outright unenjoyable if you have no understanding of history of the HRE, esoterics, mythology, Goethe's color teachings and a boatload of other topics. It's like reading Ulysses without knowing about Irish folklore and religion.
Also reading a translation is wack. It's a play in verses. No translation I ever saw captured the essence of the original.
Reading Faust I as a translation is ok. The plot is rather simple and entertaining. Faust II is just not really accessible without being well rounded.

would an interlinear translation work?

Why's everyone so triggered? Faust can't be properly translated, because it's not just story at its core. You wouldn't recommend reading Shakespeare translations either. I hope. Try it if you haven't yet - they suck.

That would depend on your level of understanding of German I guess. If you know enough to enjoy the verses without knowing the exact meaning, then consult the translation you'd probably get a very unenjoyable but thorough reading. I'm German myself so I can only describe my parallel reading of Ulysses. Essentially I only understood half of what was said but my English is fine enough to appreciate the quality of the prose and how it sounds. I then read an annotated translation which made me understand.

Again, this was a chore but very satisfying in the end.

My favourite Faust album. Jennifer is beautiful.

>abluuu abluuu abluuu muh soul
>Mephistopheles is so mean
>muh soul
>muuuuh soul

Why the fuck is there a pussy? Is this some kind of attempt to be postmodern and edgy?

Made me laugh out loud, thanks user.

That's a lamp shade you honry boye

Hugh Jackmans wolverine

>Admit to speaking the literal language of Cuckoldry
>Call others Cucks

dis one - Oxford's one by David Luke :o

It's the non-pleb extended director's cut version of Faust I.

Fucking kek

A translation is the next to best thing, what better is Wikipedia going to do you?

Did you guys know that Goethe is pronounced Gerta? (Well, the R virtually silent.)

Do you know how hard it is for an American to pull that off without sounding like a pseud?

luke, atkins

arndt for the notes not for the trnalsation itself