Literary confession thread

Literary confession thread

i got into a writing course by noting that the head of the department was a big fan of Jane Austen, and then writing a cyberpunk version of a chapter from "Persuasion" in my entrance test.

I end up regretting most of the books I buy because they're boring or I just lose interest in finishing them

The Alchemist is one of my favorite books

I still haven't read the greeks

I know I have potential to be a good writer but I keep sabotaging myself out of self-contempt.

Ender's Game and The Song of Achilles are my favorite books

I don't like anime as I much as I like books anymore and I feel bad about it

>I think non fiction has more literary merit than fiction
>I read 60% out of duty to improve myself and 40% pleasure alone.
>I get intimidated by authoritative writers in complex subjects.
>I deliberately derail stirner threads despite liking him as a thinker because I had a bad experience with someone who liked him irl.

I find Shakespeare woefully boring

I still haven't started with the Greeks, I'm too busy reading science-fiction. Gene Wolfe is just too good. I'll eventually read Herodotus though because I want to appreciate Latro of the Mist fully.

I barely read anything these days.

first time I tried to read IJ i skipped all the footnotes, intending to come back to them later

Other people read things for me

I write in library books

why

IDK usually I just underline a particularly poignant passage or two, not much. And usually only if I see someone else has already written in it. It makes me feel like I'm taking part in something bigger than me.

I have jacked off to pic of Android 18 that I drew myself.

I'm an english lit major and I rarely read as a hobby

Pray, tell

thats quite common from what i understand

I'm a science major and I read for hours every day as a hobby.

I enjoyed the Wheel of Time series. Just not the shitty point of view chapters about annoying characters.

A Satanic tier sin against literature.

I never read a page of history that wasn't required until I finished my degree. Then it became fun again.

You are literary cancer.

I loved reading up through high school and I still very much enjoy what I do in the classes for my degree. But I never feel compelled to pick up a book in my free time since going to college, and I keep buying cheap books I want to read eventually and never reading them. Everybody I work with always asks what I'm reading when I tell them my major and I always have to go "nothing right now"

This was me when I was still studying. I still don't read casually. It's hard when you're stuck addicted to a shitty f2p MMO.

Who did you find annoying?

I'm attracted to women who are dead. Like Sappho.

I alternated between reading and the audiobook to complete both crime and punishment and the brothers karamazov

Nynaeve especially, but most of the good-side female cast. The evil female characters were fun and entertaining to watch steadily getting their comeuppance. It was obvious Jordan had some kinks.

this is why I switched out of english

now I read more than ever

which mmo

Everyone thinks I could be some academic because of the shit I read, solely because it's not genre fiction. I don't even enjoy reading it that much, I'd probably be considered a pseud. I'm currently a NEET but the gov is pushing me to attend an open university course for literature because they think I would fly through it, when in reality I'm just somebody who's a little above average in terms of reading.

It's my fault for cultivating this self image, and pretty soon my 'intellectual' ego could make me homeless unless I just bite the bullet and go through with a course I'm pretty sure I'll hate just to save face.

how did this happen

I think Heart of Darkness is really dull and pretentious.

I studied computer science for 9 years in college. The last semester I took a creative writing course because there was no test nor homework, I just needed to write a 40 page book delivery to pass.A wrote a 110 page story.
I want to keep writing even if I don't enjoy reading as much.

I never quite understand how people can get bored of a book that one can finish in a single evening.

Even though it was very short, to me it just seemed to drag on. It's weird, but reading a 400 page book on the history of international law was more interesting to me than 100 pages of Heart of Darkness.

I agree, but on the other hand I really enjoyed Nostromo

Never read it, may give it a try.

I find most of Kafka's works to be hilarious but I can't explain why. I just start laughing.

Carson McCullers is the only female writer whose works would not be improved by a bonfire

I started with the Greeks... And I'm not enjoying it.

The Iliad is super boring

Saramago is a fucking hack and all his novels are the same shit

What translation are you reading? Is it poetry or prose?

I don't even read books anymore, I just read their wikipedia summary so I can shitpost about them

Carson McCullers is GOAT my friendo

King is my favourite author simply because his books never bored me like many of the classics did. In the end I admit I just might be too dumb for some books.

Can relate, in high school I barely read outside of required stuff. Once I graduated I started reading twice as much

I started with Greeks and ended up amazed. Now everything that is popular feels shallow.

I will continue with Germans. Romans can wait.

I own 5 Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics

Never thought I'd see TSoA on here but hey, I loved that book too.

Still enjoy Haruki Murakami.

Hated V. by Pynchon.

I think that Stephen King is fineish, even though some of his novels are utter trash.

Infinite Jest is not that great.

I don't think the overabundance of YA stuff is bad. I just don't care.

I prefer reading on my Kindle than on paper.

I started with the Greeks and now I'm a complete greekaboo. Thanks guys

stagger was a mistake

I read through every philosopher, psychologist and linguist you people ever told me about and now I have no answers, only a nagging sensation to use myself in some way resembling productively in this hostile, impersonal and meaningless life. I just took my practice asvab and got a 76. Waiting for a call to take the real thing and then with any luck it'll be boot camp followed by navy cryptologic technician interpreter training.

I can't read contemporary books and sometimes I feel bad about it.

Not sure if you already know this and are just being a pseud, but so did he.

When Kafka was writing, his neighbours would often hear maniacal laughter coming from his house.

The summa teologica is the single most boring thing I have ever read. Yes it is thorough but there wasn't a single line of reasoning that impressed me, despite all those people claiming Aquinas was so brilliant.
I suspect all the christians who namedrop him are really just being pseuds.

This is serious. Are you in need of medical assistance?

I didn't think The Crying of Lot 49 was all that great. It was ok, I guess. I was annoyed with The Sopranos ending, and I tried to return it, but I lost the receipt.

I can only read for about 10 minutes before I get bored and put the book down. It takes me a long time to finish books because of this so I do maybe 8-10 in a year.

you need an exorcism, not a confession

Start reading some lit theory so you can interpret your anime better. Worked for me. Also read more nip literature, so you can spot similarities with anime.

I am hard reactionary, but mostly read po-mo and Frankfurt school for enjoyment.

I end up hating 90% of the books I read.

I just feel like writing instead.

I started with the Romans

I'm a very VERY slow reader.

I reread the Harry Potter series when I was 18, and I enjoyed it.

I fucked a book of critical essays about William Faulkner when I was a teenager. I don't remember why, probably because I was a teenager

I don't actually read books that I shit on

>he read the whole summa and he's not even a christfag/theologyfag

absolute madman

I only read 3 hours a day and waste about 10 hours on bs

Reading Shakespeare is tough, go watch a play by professionals. It really comes alive then.

I agree, except I've never read her. Will check out.

I haven't even read 30 entire books in my life

I've only read one book over the last three months

I read Gorilla Mindset.

*grunt*

*grunts louder*

I'm moving to China in about about 8 months with my qt3.14 gf, plan on establishing an Asian pseudonym to hopefully be published under. Living where I will live will give the name heavy credence, and I can claim that I'm a "raised in Hong-Kong native English speaker."

In reality, I know practicably zero Mandarin or Cantonese and will not be able to integrate the thought/ grammar/ phrasing structures of those languages into my writing in any meaningful way without great effort. As such, not sure anyone will actually buy that I'm from China for any meaningful period of time.

My writing focuses on the nature and name of sacrifice. What it means to honestly give your entire being for another, a person, a concept, a society. I think people need to hear from the outside, that they've forgotten, and so that they'll listen. I have a few short stories written, half a novel with a plan for a much bigger one. The latter will more deal with the relationship between man and the concept of God.

Is it any better than Aquinas's Five Ways? Because those are some of the worst theological arguments I've ever seen, despite how much praise they seem to get by the people who tell me to look into them.

read DFW on kafka

I hate novels.

I very rarely read books with more than 200 pages. I also like reading epic poetry, but I need to read a summary of each section before delving into the verses or else I get lost

How about noooooo
Just because you want to write it doesn't mean ppl want to read it. Especially when it sounds all preachy like you described. If you've never finished a novel before then you might want to just write a 'template' story and come up with something new in it. I.e. Knight saves princess, soldier goes to war etc etc.

I enjoyed reading Infinite Jest. Maybe not as much the story itself, but rather the psycho-sadistic reading experience.

I don't read books and I only come here for the lolita threads.

"If you've never written a novel, don't write a novel." Solid logic there, extrapolates beautifully. You back it perfectly with "what people want to read."

People "want" to read Young Adult Fiction, Erotica, Paperback Thrillers, and ghost written books containing political opinions they already agree with.

This is a literary confessions thread. I confess I'm going to try my hand at some form of lit worth reading. If it is not worth reading, I am quite sure you will be the first to tell me. In the mean time, kindly lick a dick. I've written template stories before, among a few other things.

I think Ulysses is a dumpster fire of a book.

I reject about 95% of books based on the summary alone.

hahahaha moron. you are literally going to crash and burn and die.

i do this too, pal. i read books from my college library and there usually some notes or underlines in there already. i like adding to it. nothing too distracting though.

i couldn't get through bleeding edge. i was really interested in the setting/idea of the novel, and enjoyed the bit about the mmo, but man was it dull and pointless.

donated it to my local library last week

>A Satanic tier sin against literature.

yeah, but i got in.

day 1 of novel writing: teacher says "I only have three rules. no hats, no cellphones and no genre fiction. and that means (looks right at me) no SCIENCE FICTION."

me: o rly (submits barely disguised sf novel outline)

she didn't catch on

Perrin during the entire search for Faile arc was unbearable for me

>no genre fiction. and that means [...] no SCIENCE FICTION.
Not being able to write sci-fi (or fantasy) was the most disappointing thing about my writing class. All we did was literary fiction, and most of it was just dull. Though I will give the instructor credit, she did speak up in defense of genre fiction, even if she wasn't teaching it.

I didnt like Moby Dicks, it gets boring by the time they get on the ship.

Kys