Just got a slow cooker. What are some recipes you'd suggest?

Just got a slow cooker. What are some recipes you'd suggest?

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2016/10/why-pressure-cookers-are-better-than-slow-cookers.html
rasamalaysia.com/recipes/korean-recipes/.
rasamalaysia.com/slow-cooker-honey-sesame-chicken-wings/.
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Beef stew is always good.
Maybe pot roast.
Curry.

ropa vieja

mine is basically a caramelized onion machine

Anything you might usually cook in a dutch oven or a pressure cooker, that you want to not have any mallard effect, browning, be thin and comparatively tasteless. It's also good for grossly overcooking everything.

Maybe chicken breast for 8 hours?
#wifey

breakfast food!!!!
overnight oats, bread pudding, sausage and potato breakfast things

anything with chicken is good

>he doesn't know that you can mallard [sic] the food before you slow or pressure cook it
also
chicken is one of the worst things to prepare in it

cheap, tough pork and beef cuts are the best

Chili, pulled pork, corned beef

im willing to bet the vast majority of lazy faggots with slow cooker don't though

wtf is mallard the food

roast chicken. or stew. or ribs

>roast chicken
.... what
roast a chicken and then slow cook it?
or do you think 'roast chicken' refers to a whole chicken?

You sound like a working class chump. I bet you thought it would be a great "investment", how you would wake up to a warm, healthy breakfast to start off your long day. Maybe, you even had a couple thoughts about all the other nifty little uses you could find for the thing, how it would help you cook healthier meals in general, shed a couple pounds off the old gut, boost your confidence around work and with the ladies. Yeah, maybe that slow cooker would start your life cooking again, wouldn't it? I can see your strained hands holding the box and reading through it carefully at the store. A little bit pricey, but you're the type of guy who thinks everything is more than you can spend, aren't you. And look what happened to you. Look what the slow cooker did to you. Fucked you over, and made you clean it like a useless bitch. You don't even fucking like oatmeal. Piece of shit, you've been repeating those three words your whole life, haven't you. Yeah, how was work after that piece of shit fucked you over? I bet it was on your mind the whole day, you probably didn't say shit to nobody. Can't be telling people about your mistakes. How your little fix yourself plan, failed you. Don't want people to start thinking you're the failure. You're the piece of shit, all along. You don't want that do you? You don't want to be the piece of shit everybody secretly whispers about, do you? Was your father a piece of shit like you? I bet he never had a slow cooker. He had a woman, a house, a damn good job. I bet it's slow cooking you the fuck alive, isn't it. Comparing yourself to him. How one day when all the steam runs our of your life, you'll discover how you're nothing more than burnt shit to be scrapped off and thrown in the trash.

I can see this defeated everyman in my head so clearly. Bravo

I got it for my birthday because my mom had a spare she never used, I just want something easy to make while I'm at college.

Just made this red lentil soup today, it was so warm and satisfying because it's so cold outside right now. Takes 8 hours on high.
Just chop and dump then turn on the pot. I chopped my veggies a little too large so I ended up using a masher at the end to chunk up the soup and make it look like the pic. Came out perfect

1½ cups red lentils
4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
½ a bunch of kale (about 4 leaves) stems removed and chopped
2 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped (optional)
2 garlic cloves, pressed
½ an onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon parsley
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon garlic salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
6½ cups vegetable stock

forgot the pic

thanks man, this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for

If you're an islamic pro palistinsne terrorist, you can always blow it up, hopefully take yourself out too.

What do these freak jobs call themselves these days?

Nothing good comes out of a slow cooker.

but for a busy person it's good enough to have something decent and warm and ready to eat when they get home

I'm in the same boat as you, I got a crock pot for christmas. My coworker suggested (it came out pretty decent) putting a chicken breast or two in there, whatever veggies you want like potatoes and onion, some liquid like a little olive oil and soy sauce to marinate the chicken in. If you work 7-4 like I do you can put all that in the pot and put it on low for 8 hrs and go to sleep, wake up and have a lunch prepared for the day and probably enough for 2 days. Forget what the other user above said about chicken, chicken breast came out juicy and tender when I did this.

beasties, aka inlaws

Don't compare birbs to niggers, birbs at least try. That's an insult to birbs.

Why are you such a cunt? At least you have a mom who cares enough to set up you up, yet your giving the finger. You'll be great as some low-level middle manager.

I guess. Even when I'm busy I can find 45 minutes or so to make something good, even if sometimes it's more like an hour. Plus I have a short list of more or less instant meals that I can make in 15-20 min. I appreciate the idea of having something warm and ready to eat when I get home, but if it's gonna be sucky I'd rather put in a little effort to have something better.

imagine being this wrong

Yo, what's everyone's favorite slow cooker recipes for

1. Beef/pork/chicken stew
2. Chili
3. Curry
4. Borsht with potatoes

All I've ever done with this is dump random things in with cream of chicken and cream of mushroom but Ive gotta stop eating out

That's not how I meant to come across. I'm glad she got it for me, I meant to give the bird to but forgot to reply to him
What are some things you'd recommend making? Easy to make comfort food kind of stuff is why I got the thing, but I'm not so busy that I'll never have time to actually cook.

5. Chilie sauced spaced alien heads.

Wat

Put chicken, corn, beans, and salsa in the crockpot. Cook for a while

How long is a while woth a crock pot? 6 hours on medium setting? 3 hours on high setting?

>2.5 lbs stew meat or chuck roast, cubed
>16 oz can of whatever beans you feel like
> can of petite diced tomatoes, drain off as much water as can
>small can of tomato paste
>1/2 whatever onion you feel like, diced
>1/2 normal sized jar of jalepenos, plus some juice
>whatever kind of sausage that you feel like, sliced into inch long pieces
>1 tablespoon chili powder
>1 teaspoon salt
>1 teaspoon cumin
>1/8-1/4 cayenne
>lime juice or more brine from the jalepeno jar if it doesn't have that acidic bite

Dump it all in, 6 hours if you used cubes of chuck roast. If you left it whole, let it go for ten hours and you can shred the beef like ropa viaja.

Cheers m80

You dont mean those pretty big 1Q jars of jalapenis right? Like a pickle jar sized instead?

Yeah, like the 12 fl oz Mt Olive jars. Sorry, shoulda specified. Apparently I also need to lean to spell jalapeno.

Lol, that was a typo on my part as well.

>tfw phoneposting

Thanks brah I'm gonna try this recipe out

Here's an adaptation of chicken cacciatore I've made a few times:
You need some chicken thighs and legs, with the skin and bones. Dredge them in some flour and brown them in oil in a separate pan on the stove. The idea is to get some color, not cook them all the way through. Once completed, throw them in the slow cooker. Add some coarsely chopped onion, mushrooms (button or porcini) and red bell pepper. If you cut them into too small of pieces they'll cook into nothingness. Smash two or three cloves of garlic and throw them in as well. Add a drained can of diced tomatoes and a few spoonfuls of tomato paste, as well as a few glugs of red wine. The wine is more for the flavor than the liquid, since the vegetables will release a ton as they cook. Season with a little salt (you can always add more at the end) and plenty of black pepper. Fresh oregano and thyme work really well, as well as a bay leaf. Pretty much any kind of herbs will work well, although something like parsley you'd want to add towards the end.

Cook until the meat separates easily from the bone. Serve with crusty bread or over rice or boiled potatoes. Like any stew, it's even better the next day.

Word, hope you like it.

Is flouring and browning the chicken a necessary step? Wouldnt slow cooking it help out with it anyway, any just throwing olive oil in with it?

is that a fucking turkey?
is slowcooked turkey good?
Every thanksgiving our turkeys great for the first hour then just gets dry as fuck would a slowcooker fix that?

It's not necessary but it will make a much better final product and the flour helps thicken the stew. If you really don't feel like doing it, you could omit that step, it just won't be as good. I wouldn't add any extra oil as plenty of fat will render from chicken skin.

The reason Veeky Forums shits on slow cookers is because people think you can just throw any old thing in there wait a couple hours and it will turn into magic. They're a tool like anything else and need to be used properly.

No, it would just turn into a soupy mush. There's ways to make delicious roast turkey, but a slow cooker is not one of them.

seriouseats.com/2016/10/why-pressure-cookers-are-better-than-slow-cookers.html

it's that, but they also just suck

You're not going to sway people away from their Stone Jesus aka the slow cooker.

I slow cook my meats alot for Mexican dishes (tamales, tacos, etc). I have cooked a number of roasts before. I have used this website before with great results rasamalaysia.com/recipes/korean-recipes/. My ex said this was the best thing I ever made and wanted it quite a bit rasamalaysia.com/slow-cooker-honey-sesame-chicken-wings/.

Thanks brah

Interesting.

Looks good, but I hate those food blog sites that have you read Don Quixote before actually getting to the recipe.

Here's a (You)

Ano good low calorie slow cooker recipes?

Looks great, boy.

I'm trapped inside losing my shit.

Thankfully I have lots of alcohol and a slow cooker full of beer braised beef stew cooking up.