Shelf R8 Thread

Been a minute since we've had one of these and lots of anons are returning to school.

Post what you've got and judge others

Other urls found in this thread:

xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/POE/manofcro.html
xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/POE/masque.html
xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/POE/mesmeric.html
xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/POE/blackwod.html
amazon.com/dp/0192832069/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_PpBSzbVTZ1PQK
imgur.com/gallery/8yf0n
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>no fear shakespeare
They were free

>tfw you've got a load of unread books on your shelf but don't feel like reading them
should i just force my way through them even though i've got more interesting things to read at the moment or just donate them?

>James Jones
> James
> Jones
Is he chinese?

reddit shelf

Why not just save them for later?

Good but also mostly standard Veeky Forums stuff

Big ups on the Kybalion

Pure bait

I know that this is bait, but that Lovecraft is actually pretty great. Only good thing on that shelf.

Nah, just very American

But that's Wayne Rooney

Everyone says this is a bait pic and they're likely right but I think all those spines look quite beautiful.

>The Routledge Queer Studies Reader.

Consider suicide, friend.

jesus, that edition of a portrait must have tons of notes to be that fat

1/2

2/2

>that fucking huge poe collection
>pleb pls leave

is that the Mandelbaum divine comedy? end your life friend.

prolly for a class

If you've accidentally wandered into any 101 american lit course you'd know Poe is huge and not just 15 year old girls reblogging shit about the Raven. Please read a book for once.

it's true but at the same time i feel like taking poe seriously is like taking rap music seriously, i mean i guess one can, but it still seems slightly farcical

>rating any good included in an american lit 101 course as good
don't tell me: your top three consists of huckleberry finn x3

If you like Melville, Borges, Baudelaire, Kafka, Dostoevsky, Calvino, James, and countless other massively important figures, let alone others in philosophy and psychology, yes Poe is someone who needs to be taken seriously.

So tell me all about alchemy, user.

poe is literally a gimmick. he happened to be at the right place at the right time, which is why he's so influential, but his writing could never be compared to any of the figures you mention. he's no better at prose than is any other horror writer (lookin' at you Lovecraft" and his poetry is pure formulaic shit.

Jesus fucking Christ user there was nobody writing what he was writing when he was writing it, he single-handedly proved the artistic capabilities of the short story, and he had such a wide experimental breadth to everything he wrote, taking up new genres at the drop of a hat, inventing other genres, producing a massive oeuvre over the course of only seventeen years. Don't get me wrong I don't think he shat gold or didn't miss here and there, but how under-read are you to say something as completely stupid as "he's a gimmick"? He's not even in my top 10 and yet I know the landscape of 20th century literature would be unrecognizable if Poe wasn't there. I don't want to insult you user, I just want you to read instead of spouting ill informed nonsense with the conceit that you know better than someone else.

xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/POE/manofcro.html
xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/POE/masque.html
xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/POE/mesmeric.html
xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/POE/blackwod.html

hohoho you gotta quit getting buttmad just because nobody likes the literary equivalent to Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers as much as you

I'm fully aware you're just shitposting but even in this insencere i r o n i c mode it's clear you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, and have really no basis at all for denigrating people for reading Poe. If you read anything in your life you'd never say Poe is just some horror writer. Figuratively, as in his literary qualities exceed the general standard for horror, and literally as in he literally wrote horror maybe half of the time, if even that much. Please read. Don't shitpost.

It was

A gift but also don't fall for the meme. It is important literature, even if not essential for your growth.

Yeah, imo Norton can go a bit overboard with their end and footnotes. That said, the critical writings they publish alongside the novel are all top quality. Their editions of Mrs. Dalloway and Howards End are also excellent.

Solid collections, except maybe for the lack of Greeks. Buy some Loebs and get on with it, anons.

The brown books on the bottom are Will Durant's Story of Civilization.

>The Bob's Burgers Burger Book

>The Art of War

>The Holy Quran

>Pop! Vinyl

>Many books on Christ, someone who didn't even exist

Process and Reality, nice! I hope you understand it better than I do.

I probably don't! But he is certainly very unique as far as modern philosophers go. I hear he is becoming fairly popular in China of late.

That copy of Augustine is T H I C C.

>BUYING BOOKS
>WHEN E-READERS EXIST

normie consumers get the f* ouot

0/10

(You)

Sexy collection dude

ereaders are for numales

Good luck reading good translation of Nausea on e-reader.

Lots of edgy stuff there ("Catcher", "Clockwork Orange", "Naked Lunch" etc) ... maybe you need to spend less time on Veeky Forums.

"As I Lay Dying" and "Sons and Lovers" suggest there's hope for you in the wider world!

>Catcher in the Rye is "edgy"
Lol.

those barnes and noble volumes are really nice I can't lie, but the autism required to buy them all is terrifying to contemplate

Cannot unsee.

>That Quran hiding among the Christian theology books

> The Bob's Burgers Burger Book

>New Age slush and pop politics.
So how many dreamcatchers do you own?

not a shelf

get a better shelving unit, friend

how is the bob's burgers burger book, user

i-i'm askin for a friend

>the routledge queer studies reader

To each their own but I find most of them quite garish.

Still, if it motivates people to pick up a classic book then it must be doing something right

is that zatoichi i see

man, i'm jealous, we don't have that collection in the UK even though we now have Criterion here

I am dying for that set

hey dude

not bad

how do you protect books from being eaten by bugs and shit?

step one) don't live in a mud hut

How meta-edgy of you. Have a

This is all I have with me at college, excluding more textbooks.

They are cool on their own, but as a collection they look awful.

I think the worst part about the shelf is imagining this faggot at b&n buying all these books at once at $30 per with some smug look on his face about how his selections are somehow better than everyone elses

I like this because the shelf shows someone with an interest rather than someone aspiring to be well-read.

my apartment shelf

>jon krakauer
>twice
Why

user... easy on the meme books

>Jonathan Franzen
>Twice
Why

The stacked books on the two bottom shelves were given to me recently by a friend who moved to a new country.

I have many more in another state, which I'll have to go get soon. I feel excited thinking about how many I have, I feel anxious thinking about how many I have. I have no fucking money, all my possessions are books, excepting this dying, cracked computer and clothing. I sit. I write. I masturbate. I work. I don't even own a car. I can't.

Looking at fully funded MFAs in creative writing so I can gain a skill towards something I'm good at and something I want to do. After, maybe I'll get a PhD. If I can make enough to sustain myself outside academia through writing, that's what I'll do.

Very nice.

It's a real recipe book for fake burgers. It's fantastic

Interested in your career/academic goals more than anything, but could you pick your shelves up? It seems they have fallen down. At first I thought it was just the shelf setup.

Med Student?

Not yet, but I hope to be soon.

I don't know. I want to be published so I can study as I will and create as I will. This year began with a personal study in poetics and philosophy. I graduated with a degree in Political Science, decided nothing I could get with that degree was something I wanted, and fell in with the idea of self-publication. I've written about 100 poems in the last year, 3 essays, and a short story which I've compiled into pamphlet format and sell at a local book store. This is all for personal experience; I've no intention of submitting most of this to any publisher or competition in the future, and it's all published under a nom de plume.

I want to become adept at comprehension of the world through words, and the composition of narratives that blend reality and real themes with my intentions, and the development and expression of dense concepts in readily comprehensible language or formatting. I don't know how I want to ultimately achieve this, however I feel entering a writing program or English program that is fully paid will further my apprehension of the language, granting me a useful skill I can apply to further learning and creation.

Fucking, anyone else read Canetti? Just btw. Fucker is brilliant. Discovered Crowds and Power in a Lapham's. It's an important text. I got that "this is a book of black-fucking-magic" feel when I opened it and started reading it first.

Canetti is brilliant. His novels (like Die Blendung) and his autobiography reflect the ideas he stated philosophically in Crowds and Power.

>the lost world ACD
my dude

One of the better philosophy collections I've seen, pretty nice. Good to see some commentaries, too; I feel like lit always skimps out on them.

Really hate that printing of Copleston's history of philosophy though.

All those books but not the skills to take a sharp picture.

That version of Aeneid looks very aesthetic, much better than my $0.99 Half Price Books copy. Where did you get it and what is it called?

>Exegesis of PKD
I want that.

>I want to become adept at comprehension of the world through words
please don't write

You can't stop me.

I also thought they were hideous when I first started buying them. They grew on me though, and now I find I actually prefer them to the modern covers.

It's the Oxford World Classic Edition, translated by Frederick Ahl. I picked it up at a used bookstore for about 10 bucks. It's amazing.

The Aeneid (Oxford World's Classics) amazon.com/dp/0192832069/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_PpBSzbVTZ1PQK

Every fucking thread

Those books are full of the authors shitty opinions anyway

>how do you protect books from being eaten by bugs and shit?

Begin with simple and direct language.
>understanding instead of comprehension
>wish instead of want
>make away with half the sentences
>I AM BECOME adept of the world through words, I create narratives that blend reality and my themes (unsure what you mean), I try to express complex ideas in a coherent language.
Preferably.
>I wish to become versed of the world through words (or just "well versed", to create narratives that blend reality and fiction, and to express complex ideas in a coherent language.
Or maybe just ...
>I dream of becoming well versed and skilled in the art of literature.

Less is more.

No h8 pls

imgur.com/gallery/8yf0n
XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

diatomaceous earth and spraying your house periodically? Make sure you check used books for bugs before you add then to your collection.

Hah, half of my struggle is in cutting and revision. I assume in the future it'll grow to 90% of the struggle. Cutting, cutting, and cutting is my main focus right now. Hammering out words on the forum isn't the object of my obsession, though. So I just tosssd out words in the morning while undercaffeinated and underexpressibg. Every attempt at articulating is another attempt to get at the core of understanding what I'm saying.

Anyhow, quality edits. I need an editor.

Not bad at all... lots of Plato, Copleston's history of phylosophy... only ones that got me down were some on the shelf above Durant's ones (Kerouac, Asimov and Fitzgerald).

I went through a Kerouac phase in high school. I'll stand by Asimov though.

R8 H8 Communic8

The only book we have in common is Dharma Bums. Did you enjoy it?

>All of that American shit.
>Almost exclusively pomo.
>Cuckmakami.
>A Frolic Of His Of His Own
>No Russians.

How I imagine every American. 3/10.

2/5

3/5

oops

Decently healthy philo section, my man.