Salt-cured meats

TLDR: left some fish fillets curing in a dry salt mix and kinda forgot about it and it wound up curing for quite a bit longer than it was supposed to. It is now the consistency of a hard prosciutto and salty as a mother fuck.

Thing is, lethal saltiness aside, it both tastes pretty good and has a nice texture. Is possible to resurrect this thing? was thinking of shredding it and using it as a new kind of seasoning that would replace salt while I start a new cure that I will try not to fuck up this time.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cEkdCgAMgpw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

memeing completely aside, you could theoretically soak it in some water for a few minutes and rinse it thoroughly and add it to stuff like chowder or whatnot. Alternatively eat it as is and make sure to drink a LOT of water

grind the salmon into a powder and make salmon salt

You preserved it in salt, you can soak it in water for a while to rehydrate it.

I actually did this already and it's had very little effect. The salt is through-and-through. Down to the very core of each fillet. I've effectively created fish-flavored seasoning salt blocks that must be grated into flakes and used as flavoring over other stuff.

The dangers of salt is a meme. Modern daily salt intake is far lower than it was when we used salt to preserve food.

I think what OP is getting at is that it's just extremely salty to a point of not tasting good, when he's talking about "lethal saltiness"

I bet it would go good shredded on some rice to cut the saltiness. Like a furikake.

aren't bonito flakes a similar thing? shaved dry salty fish? do it op

Soak it in spiced vodka for a day or so, then eat along with a big helping of sweet mustard.

bonito flakes aren't salty.

salted and watered out fish can be delicious. I do it a lot with cod and mackerel. Soak in cold water for maybe half a day, changing the water one or more times depending on how big the pieces are and how salty you like it. You may have to experiment a little here.
Then a quick boil. Have it with potatoes and a simple white sauce with parsley or mustard powder mixed in.

sounds like a nice pizza topping (kinda like anchovies y'know)

Maybe shredded over a creamy pasta instead of cheese? Hm... getting those neurons firing.

>I've effectively created fish-flavored seasoning salt blocks that must be grated into flakes and used as flavoring over other stuff.

Soup, then. Add flakes of fish on top of soups with neutral or complimentary flavors, like potato or onion soup.

Potato soup especially tastes just amazing with diced gravlax sprinkled on top, if you make it with a bit less salt, I'm sure your substitute fish block would work.

This sounds like a good idea. Might work really well in a bisque.

Next time, do a lightly salt (I think with sugar as well) cured and lightly cold smoked salmon. There's a fish smokery in my hometown that does this and it's fucking heavenly.

So what are the advantages of curing fish? Do people use it like they would salted cod? (i.e. to make fresh fish store longer?)

I just saw a show where they took salted fish and made an omelet with it. I was drunk and can't recall the exact show or episode. It could have been Mind of a Chef or some random youtube clip.

Storing longer is a plus for sure but it's mostly for flavors. You can make your curing mix with whatever herbs and spices you want and let it sit and do its thing. Then you cut thin slices and eat it as-is.

This also has the added bonus of leaving all the fat lipids and proteins intact though since there's no cooking involved. It's nutritional value is much greater than it would be if it were cooked.

Oh that definitely interests me, I love smoked fish but I can't make it on my own. Do you have any good online resources for curing fish? I'm okay with coming up with my own recipes for the cure mix but I'd like some reliable info for how to cure it etc.

soak it and change the water. ever heard of equilibrium you dumb fuck. have some fucking patience

Boil it to get the salt off

youtube.com/watch?v=cEkdCgAMgpw

It's really nobrains though. You don't actually need a guide and I think even the smoking you should be able to do unless you don't have access to a private yard or patio.

You need either pickling salt or kosher salt. That's it... but you'll want more than that. Up to an equal amount of sugar to sweeten it and whatever herbs you might want to add to flavor it.

cover your raw meat in your spices/herbs then COMPLETELY cover it in the salt/sugar mix on all sides, bottom included. Then cover and stick it in the fridge. Leave it for 2 days then check on it and you'll see that the salt has displaced most of the water from the meat. You can just leave it like this for another day or you can drain the liquid and put some more fresh salt/sugar in and leave it for another day. Then you take it out, wash it off, pat it down and let it air dry in the fridge.

If you want to smoke it, after patting it down just find a way to let smoke hit it for half a day.

same concept as salt cured egg yokes then. I might have to do this now. I'm thinking salmon for their very strong flavor?

Thanks a lot that's really good. So is it cured enough that it's safe to eat after 48 hours?

>you don't have access to a private yard or patio
I don't unfortunately.

>egg yokes
pretend that I'm not lazy and that I shooped eggs into an image of an airplane yoke

smoked salt is a thing.

This changes everything.

Is this a meme? Please tell more

Katsuobushi isn't really salted. Don't use this as a replacement for it, it won't taste right at all.

Use it like salt cod, which is basically the same as people used bacon before it became a fad. It'd probably be very good as small slices in chowder.

Nah it's liquid smoke (basically chemicals made to have a smoke flavor) turned into a brine and then reduced until the salt recrystallizes

>tldr
give me the option of not reading a giant paragraph then!

According to wikipedia, it's just sea salt that's been smoked for half a month... but this sounds like it might be a budget method for a cheaper version of the same thing.

Use more water

Honestly, liquid smoke is really smoke, or at least a refined subset of what gets kicked out essentially for free during charcoal production.

It'd be cheaper than the salt-sheets-in-a-smoker process that's the alternative, and safer because you get a precise cutout, but on the other hand that cutout means you're not getting whatever trace esters make cherry wood unique.