What's up with honey?

What's up with honey?

I find myself using honey a lot recently in place for regular sugar, but I was wondering if it actually any better? And what it's pros/cons are?

My parents have a hive at their house and I get honey from them so I'm not using store bought honey or anything incase that's worse?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grayanotoxin
siouxcityjournal.com/news/local/vandalism-destroys-half-million-bees-wipes-out-sioux-city-honey/article_b883044a-8df8-5b54-95a8-46afcb6c8624.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it's sugar bees poop out

But is it any better than sugar that'd come in a bag? I figured since its pretty much completely unprocessed it must be a better option? Unless the bees making the honey technically makes it processed?

It's pretty versatile and a good sweetener, generally. I just fucked up candied bacon with fall flower honey, should've just used 100% maple syrup, fucking kms.

The real question is wtf is the deal with bees?

It contains a fuck load of unnecessary carbs. Stop being a fatass.

If I'm having 2-3 teaspoons max a day, and no other kind of sweetners, aswell as a relatively healthy diet does that really matter?

Much better. Got nutrients 'n stuff in it also. Better to ask Google than Veeky Forums for a question like this

If you’re a fatass yes it matters. Telling yourself it’s natural and relatively healthy is bullshit. Relative to what anyway? Corn syrup?

Fun fact: Regular honey isn't much different than High Fructose Corn Syrup because both syrups have more fructose than sucrose.
Regular honey is effectively (and nutritionally) High Fructose Bee Syrup.

Manuka honey is a lot different, though.

Royal jelly, that's where it's at. One of my most favorite ingredients.

Issue with manuka honey is that it's like more expensive than gold by weight, I live in new Zealand and even here it's expensive as fuck, I've only been using honey because I get it free from the parents

It tastes like something, unless it's by a rape field. If it's rape honey you can just throw it in the trash.

Weren't they about to die off completely and destroy the world by causing mass famine? Guess that story is over

Not really over, there is still a downward trend afaik. People just stopped caring about the doomsday cause of that year. Last year was Trump, idk if we'll go back to one of the climate ones this year.

maybe retards realized that while bees are quite useful, they're not the only fucking polinators in town

Question. Is global warming good or bad for bees?

anything is better than refined sugar breh. that shit is poison

>healthy
to uneducated fatasses this means 'low calorie', so on that metric, it's not any healthier than sugar.
It's difficult to quantify why food is actually healthy, but the general consensus is that yes, it is healthy. Honey has been used in medicine for a long time and has numerous health benefits.

there was a large recent resurgence in beekeeping, at least in my country.

>cons

there's no cons. there's never a bad time to use it.

My understanding is that pesticide is a much bigger threat to the bees.

My parents bees don't go out if it's too hot so maybe

It has a naturally low sugar content compared to cane/granulated sugar so I tend to roll with it. Due to its viscosity I cut it down with a 3:1 ratio of honey to boiling water which proves to be really useful since a good amount of honey tends to stick to whatever the utensil is being used to dispense it unless it is stirred into the mixture.

Local honey, the more local the better, will help with seasonal allergies. It's why you shouldn't give it to babies.
You're ingesting pollen from the flora the bees visited and essentially immunizing yourself.
As for health benefits, it's really good topically for your skin and hair.
In food it's 'better' in how your body processing it compared to processed sugar, but it's negligible as far as I know.

Honey has a different flavor and texture compared to sugar.
You should also note that there are numerous different “types” of honey, and different ways the honey is processed.
Honey might be filtered or unfiltered. The filtering leaves in the pollen, and can add extra flavor.
In the USA, the most common types of honey seem to be, Clover, Alfalfa, Tupelo, and Wild Flower. All have different flavors, and might also have different sweetnesses, or intensities. Tupelo and Wild Flower are strongly flavored. Alfalfa and Clover are gentler and less intense. There’s also Lavender honey although I haven’t tried it cause it tends to be more expensive.
Technically it’s possible to produce “poisonous” honey if the bees collect pollen from certain plants. I forget exactly which, but it’s mentioned in classical book, so you should be carefull with “homemade” or “craft” honey.

>poisonous honey
very Shakespearean

Rhododendrun honey. Not necessarily fatal but can be used to incapacitate an enemy. It was actually used at one point to incapacitate an invading army.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grayanotoxin

Your parent's bees are pussies

Make Mead with that sweet nectar it's hella easy

honey recipes?

Clover is nothing compared to other single flowers. Blackberry or Avocado beat it for the same depth of taste. Citrus flower or sage flower destroy it for flavor. Even random wildflower honey is better than clover.

Go back to granulated right fucking now

It's mostly used to get high

Tupelo!

Different kinds of bees were dying out, the bees doing all the work are fine.

>China floods the market with honey cut with corn syrup
>crashes the value of honey
>constantly redesigning how they mix their honey to avoid the law
>honey prices so low bee farmers need to subsidize income
>bee farmers all over the state's take their bees to California and rent them out to almond farms as 'pollinators'
>keeps food on the table for farmers
>at the same time, diseases spread like wild fire through bee population all across America

Wanna save the bees? Buy honey straight from a bee farmer.

siouxcityjournal.com/news/local/vandalism-destroys-half-million-bees-wipes-out-sioux-city-honey/article_b883044a-8df8-5b54-95a8-46afcb6c8624.html

>be bee keeper
>have awesome business going
>some jackass comes in during winter and smashes literally every single hive, killing over half a million bees

Shit, this is why we have regulated names for all kinds of shit over in europe. Idk if you can call it honey if even the water content of natural honey is too high. At least the national beekeeper association giving out seals of approval doesn't allow that.

If it's cut or mixed with any single thing it shouldn't be allowed to be called honey. Luckily my mom used to be a beekeeper and I'm still using some stashed away from that time.

True for all produce. I used to buy honey from this old retired grandpa, but his hives are gone, so I think he died :(

enjoy your flying roach

it's exactly like sugar, but if it's unpasteurized (mostly impossible to get nowadays) it's supposed to have good bacteria, enzymes n' shit

Are they using chip bags to try and teach niggers now?

Honey is just meme sugar/fructose syrup. The trace minerals in it are too low in concentration to do anything.

These people should be hunted down and killed with bees

For what reason

There's a ton of sugar in honey but if you're using non commercial honey I would imagine it's much healthier

>healthier
It's tasty sugar, nothing else about it really. It's mildly disinfectant and you could put it on your wounds, but we have better stuff for it. And afaik even the trace amounts of good stuff in them get ruined once it's heated up.

It's really tasty and can make some killer mead though.

Manuka honey is a meme, it used to be considered shit honey then they memed it trying to say it's magic. They also sell more than they collect so it's definitely diluted

I like trying out honeys from different flowers and areas, the flavor can really vary quite a lot.

>crashes the value of honey
Wat? Have you seen the price of local honey at a grocery lately? There's been no crash in price, it's skyrocketed due to colony collapse disorder which is running at 30% per year since 2007. Where is any graph showing a collapse in the price of honey?

Probably some helicopter soccer mom whose kid was allergic that lived nearby.

Or, more likely, meth heads being meth heads. This was in Iowa after all.

>in place for

Pls gib good mead recipe

5 gallon carboy
1 vapor lock
3 gallons water
2 gallons honey
1-2 packets of wine yeast

Let sit six months

I haven't made it myself but I've been through the proces.

This is what you want to do, the more honey you use the sweeter it will be when the yeast dies off because all the yeast does is turn as much sugar as it can into alcohol. Watch out for quite ridiculous alcohol levels that you may not be able to taste. Use yeast stopper if you want lower than 15% alcohol. And tastier honey will mean tastier mead.

You can mess around with flavouring but leave that for when you've made regular mead a couple of times.

>They also sell more than they collect
Can I see some stats, please?

I'd actually recommend the opposite and make a mead like orange spice or something before just a honey mead. Honey mead can be really bland and just taste a bit like white wine depending on your ratios. It's also harder to get started and keep going as the yeast have a more difficult time breaking down pure honey than they will if you give them some other starters and things like raisins.

It's not any better than sugar, your body will convert both into the same thing.

Vomit actually.

You're not going to see anything above 15-16% without distilling.

There are wine yeasts than can hit 18%.

That's still not ridiculous levels of alcohol though.

i fucking love buying honey with the wax so I can chew on it all day