Novel Prize 2017

Is he going to win it this year boys? I really think he deserves it, he captures the deconstructed and globalized world we live in and the advent of the post-imperial Empire better than any other author. Sure, his best work is behind him but Hard-Boiled Wonderland and The Wind-up Bird Chronicle are masterpieces. If you disagree, who do you think will/should win this year?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yōko_Ogawa
youtu.be/2ArEAlB5icg
youtube.com/watch?v=QON6SSMLcC8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Oops, typo in the header, I meant to say Nobel Prize.

James Hetfield

Kazuo Ishiguro has aged well. Must be all the jogging.

The Nobel has always been politized BS but it always still had some credibility, although it just picked authors with the fashionable politics.

However, since Bob Dylan got picked, who gives a fuck. I mean, really. Turned the prize into a complete and utter sham

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yōko_Ogawa

SAVE THIS POST FOR LATER.
YOKO OGAWA IS THE NEW WINNER. IT'S ALREADY BEEN DECIDED.
>First Japanese NP winner since 1994
>Woman
>Great-tier writing
>Won almost every prize in her country
>Not very long novels, which has been a trend since Alice Munro - Modiano - Alexevitsh - Dylan (lol)

They should pick a video game script writer so we can all stop paying attention for good

hm well maybe
i could see it happening

Some illiterate instagram blogger will probably win this year.

>Murakami
Nobel always outs his fans like a clockwork, what are you even doing here instead of r/books?

protip: caring about this shit at all is equally /r/books.

>Not very long novels, which has been a trend

So Cărtărescu doesn't stand a chance to ever win a Nobel?

People don't read very much so Nobel Academy aims shorter forms, I think.
Cărtărescu is still young

If he hasn't won by now, I doubt he will ever win.

There is far more nuance than that. I would be perfectly happy to be introduced to another Svetlana Alexievich or Mo Yan.

But if the nobel committee is just going to be edgy and and scramble for pop appeal and relevance by picking lyricists then the prize will be worth nothing.

> Thomas Pynchon was literally cheated out of a Pulitzer Prize because of muh poo-poo negro dick moment in Gravity's Rainbow

It's going to be Bruce Springsteen

Have you read her? What's your favorite novel by her?

What about Fumiko Enchi? Do you know how to get her works translated into english? I've only read masks, but apparently there english translations of some other works of hers.

Jon Fosse will get it, if not this year then another.

this

Never ever. He's never going to win a Nobel

My money is on my diary desu.

Novelists who will never win the Nobel:
>Thomas Pynchon
>Philip Roth
>Cormac McCarthy
>Don DeLillo

If Murakami wins the Nobel prize it is as dead as possible. That is magnitudes worse than bob dylan winning.

The fact that retarded people completely misunderstand what he writes doesn't make the chink a bad author. Like OP said, Hardboiled and Wind-Up Bird are genuinely great books, and the guy's by far the most important contemporary Japanese writer along with maybe Hideo Levy. Veeky Forums is so fucking scared of liking an author that teenage girls misread.

I don't think he deserves it as much as Krasznahorkai, Pynchon, or DeLillo, but I would be pleased if he won.

They should continue their unconventional picking and pick Harold Bloom. Veeky Forums would explode

Give it to Cormac already he is elder god tier
>muh merica
Why are Swedes so jealous?

youtu.be/2ArEAlB5icg

OP here, by Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums being naturally contrarian they miss out on a lot of great stuff that's popular among normies. Murakami is crypto-patrician, he can be appreciated on many levels, I honestly think that the project that he attempts in his fiction is very laudable, I have tons of respect for people like him who are able to write entertaining stories that are able to appeal to the middle-brow public and also have tons of depth and can be appreciated on a more esoteric level. People who say that there's nothing philosophical behind Murakami's symbols and narratives or who don't think he's working in an established artistic tradition are just outing themselves as people who've never done an actual close reading of his work. It helps if you can read him in Japanese like I can though. I like Hideo Levy but I definitely don't think he's the most important contemporary Japanese writer, neither is Yoko Ogawa like another user posted. Murakami is by far the most important and influential, though whether he is the best is up to your own taste. I don't care for Oe personally, and I haven't keeping up with Japanese literary magazines but there are a lot of young voices who haven't been translated into English that are much better than him. It's too bad Kenji Nakagami died young and only a few of his stories have been translated, he was the Faulkner of Japan.

Ogawa is absolutely great. I read a short story (maybe novella?) by her about a pregnant woman and her sister, very very good and perturbing, but I also read The Housekeeper and the Professor and it was extremely sweet without being ridiculous, great characters and gave me lots of feels. If she wins, she deserves it.

Apart from McCarthy I genuinely think the others don't deserve it. Pynchon is literally an American meme, no matter how you try to spin it. DeLillo is good but not Nobel-worthy and Roth has a good oeuvre, but he isn't a meme writer.

Bolaño (I'll cry myself to sleep).

go to bed ruggles, you don't deserve it and never will. You're a second rate Vollman

Only living writer worthy of it is McCarthy imo

Half of the winners of the Nobel Prize in literature are literally whos.

>Bjornsterne Bjornson
>Henryk Sienkiewicz
>Romain Rolland
>V.S. Naipal
>Svetlana Alexievich

and then fucking Bob Dylan

Who was the least controversial Nobel Prize winner of all time?

My vote is Marquez. Or Hemingway, but I didn't have a picture of him saved on my computer.

This. Reminder how Borges got nominated more than once but never won because he sympathised with right wing groups and had accepted honours from Pinochet.

Marquez was the fuckin GOAT.

Yeats, Mann, Faulkner, and Beckett are the only ones who ever deserved it. The Nobel has been worthless at least since Toni Morrison won

>literally whos
>Henryk Sienkiewicz

c'mon now. Not even pollack and I know of his ouevre. Part of it has been put to screen.

>Svetlana Alexievich
The funny thing is, translations of her works have appeared as a consequence of her winning the Nobel. I've only read "War doesn't have the face of a Woman" and it was pretty good.

Still whos.

they don't give posthumous awards even though him and Salinger deserve it

>Salinger
>Deserved a Noble
Pick one

The idea of the Nobel in Literature is so fucking pretentious to begin with. Sartre had it right.

He deserves it as much as Joyce or Twain. Literally the voice of post WW2 adolescence.

>Voice of adolescence
>Deserving of a major literary award
You sound like an adolescent voice yourself there.

You do realize there is literature besides the anglosphere, right?

>If he doesn't recognise whos then he must only be familiar with literature from the anglosphere
Hah good one. Nice putting the words "There is no literature besides the anglosphere" into my mouth.

>being proud of being illiterate

well yeah, but you got to admit that it is a normal reaction since most of this ignorance comes from the anglosphere

OGAWA
G
A
W
A

She's not that good, I've read The Housekeeper amd the Professor and some of her short stories. She's just more obscure in America and is a contrarian pick, just like people who go on about Ryu Murakami. Neither of them have written anything as good as Haruki's Trilogy of the Rat or Hard-Boiled Wonderland

Hey mr Haruki

Hi Haruki, stop trying, the moment you decided to write IQ84 was the moment you decided you don't want to be taken seriously as a writer.

fuck off, Haruki

He's a mediocre writer at best, so yeah he'll probably get it soon.

T H I S M A N
I N M Y C O U N T R Y
H E I S E V E R Y T H I N G

G O H O M E W H I T O P I G G U

Ogawa > Murakami

I am the Japan
I have seen Murakami in maid cafe serving beer in frilly dress in Akiba
Very much the disgusting appearances
His book read like cheeseburger

*unsheathes beyblade*

Ummm, you *may* want to reconsider that statement.

*gets ready to let 'er rip*

IQ84 is Chekhovian, and in it Murakami continues his project of inventing a new type of narratology for the biopolitical world we live in, and rearticulates the very nature of psychogeographic space. How does it feel to know that teen girls are less of a pleb than you are?

At the time, T. S. Eliot, the pope of Russell Square.

>writes and asks if he can still get the money

G E R A L D

M U R N A N E

V.S. Naipaul is not a literally who, you idiot. You could at least have mentioned Sully Prudhomme, Dario Fo, Erik Axel Karlfeldt, or Odysseas Elytis.

who gives a shit about prizes, if your favourite author hasn't won one, he's better off for it.

Prizes are stupid cash is fucking helpful when you do something that no one wants to pay you for

Aussie, there are emus in the Academy

So who won?

Underrated post desu.

Don't mind me, just posting a pic of the 2017 Nobel Prize in Literature Laureate

*blocks your path*

Scanning the scene in the city tonight
Looking for you to start up a fight

Fucking beautiful

>mfw to obscure too be found on google

Tao Lin in an upset.

for his father and for Mira
tiny weenie

>it's almost time for the nobel to be given out again

What the hell, it feels like it was only yesterday that Dylan got it

What's murakami best books ?

I read Norwegian Wood, liked it, read Sputnik Sweetheart and didn't really like it that much compared to NW

>stefan molyneux

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Hardboiled Wonderland and The End of the World, and Underground are my personal faves. Kafka on the Shore and his short story collections (particularly The Elephant Vanishes and after the quake) are also pretty damn solid.

Although if you prefer NW, just go with Wind-Up Bird. They have a similar feel, but the latter is filled with Murakami's semiotics.

I'm not sure they'll pick such a well-known figure two years in a row. I'd guess they'll go for someone like Olga Tokarczuk or finally give it to Ngũgĩ, Oz, Magri, Marias or Adonis.

Or Ogawa
The best choice

They'll give it to Stephen King because he's pretty anti-Drumpf. I'm 100% sure that anti-Drumpfness is going to be the major deciding factor this year

Now that its been given to a songwriter the entire field is open. Which is why I think Murakami isnt that unlikely of a pick. Though if they are to continue like the previous years and just ignore Dylan then I think Thiong'o is the most likely, or maybe Fosse or some Korean poet.

Svetlana Alexievich wants him to win. That must have some weight, right? Wouldn't be surprised if they just gave Murakami the Nobel already.

>rejects legitimacy of the award
>still wants the cash

Pick one. The cash is a perk of the award. If you don't want the award, expect no cash.

I wish jellyfish :(

I mean. The Nobel, since its inception, as a matter of its founding principles, is predicated on certain liberal attitudes which are antithetical to Trump's rhetoric.

What this has to do with Stephen King, I'm not sure, but, yeah, you can expect the winner to be at least moderately to the left of Trump in terms of their thematic concepts and general outlook.

>The cash is a perk of the award.

It's not so much a perk as it is payment for helping to keep the brand legitimized by associating your name and work with it. This shit is all branding at the end of the day -- these days at least..

>The Nobel, since its inception, as a matter of its founding principles, is predicated on certain liberal attitudes which are antithetical to Trump's rhetoric.
Yeah - Kipling sure was a BLM activist.

Time and context bud. As Western society has become more liberal, the "ideal" direction for which works are supposed to tend toward for recognition by the nobel has likewise become more broadly liberal.

If you think that's inappropriate, that's fine, but it has been a guiding principle of the committee since its inception.

Obama

youtube.com/watch?v=QON6SSMLcC8

This. The Noble used to have a bit of merit to it.

imagine getting mad about bob dylan winning the prize just because you're too much of a low iq brainlet pseud to understand his work and why he was clearly the most deserving

Bumb

Joan Didion?

they don't give nobels to pop fags who get marketed to Veeky Forums, if you've been alive more than a decade you should have figured this out

Literally who