Is Ta Nehisi Coates the James Joyce

of our generation

theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/10/the-first-white-president-ta-nehisi-coates/537909/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/FRZN7IzvCVs
takimag.com/article/the_first_rule_of_white_club_steve_sailer/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>IT IS INSUFFICIENT TO STATE the obvious of Donald Trump: that he is a white man who would not be president were it not for this fact. With one immediate exception, Trump’s predecessors made their way to high office through the passive power of whiteness—that bloody heirloom which cannot ensure mastery of all events but can conjure a tailwind for most of them. Land theft and human plunder cleared the grounds for Trump’s forefathers and barred others from it. Once upon the field, these men became soldiers, statesmen, and scholars; held court in Paris; presided at Princeton; advanced into the Wilderness and then into the White House. Their individual triumphs made this exclusive party seem above America’s founding sins, and it was forgotten that the former was in fact bound to the latter, that all their victories had transpired on cleared grounds.

Coates is such a shit writer. Back when he used to participate in the comments section of the Atlantic, I talked with him a few times (mainly about film), and he was so obstinate that he saw the complete and whole truth that he was completely unwilling to consider any other perspective you would present him - even if it didn't contradict what he had to say!

Anyone who acts that sure of himself in truth is not, and much of his writing exists more as Coates convincing himself of his rightness than it does in making any broader sense or points.

But the zeitgeist of modern American liberalism propels him into prominence.

(I'll amend my statement a bit - he's not actually a shit writer on a mechanical level, but he is not a good thinker)

Agreed. His prose is fair, but his thinking is so profoundly steeped in afropessimistic ideology that he is all but incapable of producing a worthwhile thought.

Back before he achieved the celebrity he now has, I met the guy at a chat session before he gave a talk at my school. He was much more reasonable then, and even conceded that a post-racial society would be desirable when I asked... something I doibt he would address head on today.

I almost feel he is a victim of his own success- he's become an icon in a way that must limit one's ability to be objective.

If you pressed his lips against a glass ceiling would he stick?

I'm not even going to say he doesn't raise good points, but at the end of the day- what would he have white people do? What does he want?
Even if I felt bad for systemic racism etc, I didn't choose to be white, and it seems unreasonable for me to devote a lot of energy to repentance.
It should be enough that I am not myself a racist.

Just my two cents.

Blackie Black doesn't like not being president anymore. Who would have guessed?

That's actually well written though

The first sentence was particularly profound. I mean, when is America going to get a President who's *not* a white male?

You're being a little bitch with that tone

I'm just agreeing with the genius of MacArthur Fellow Ta-Nahesi Coates's well-written paragraph. Only white men have been President of the United States and I find that fact - the fact - disgusting.

>what would he have white people do?
Yeah, that's something people like him don't seem to bother about: if there is systemic racism, how can we solve it? I do not believe in systemic racism, but if my opponents believe there is and that it is bad, I want to know their solutions.

Inasmuch as I'm responding to your shit post, good job with the bait.

>black people are not fit to be citizens of the country they built.

dropped. i'm sure the founding fathers (especially hamilton) were all afro-futurists who based their political philosophies on treatises written by eminent Nigerian scholars—such as the Magna Carta.

Uh, I'm sorry but are you the recipient of a MacArthur genius grant like Ta-Nehisi Coates? What gives you the right to contradict his assertion that only white men can be President? The day that a black man is President of this country and a woman wins the popular vote in a general election is the day I dance on the moon.

Are you this much of a whiny pussy in real life

>whiteness—that bloody heirloom which cannot ensure mastery of all events but can conjure a tailwind for most of them

what in the everloving fuck does this even mean?

>The mind seizes trying to imagine a black man extolling the virtues of sexual assault on tape
Yeah, obviously such things never happen. Except every time. And what about Bill Cosby?

I can write such this article for Bill Cosby, saying that it is only because he is black that he could commit his crimes.

>The mind seizes trying to imagine a black man extolling the virtues of sexual assault on tape
Literally over half of all rap music videos

If you're white, it's not like you can control all aspects of your surroundings but you'll at least be able to spin some of the negatives to your advantage. Work on your reading comprehension.

WE

lul

the cruz of his argument, basically that
>trump was elected for no other purpose than to oppress ME! (and my in-group)
is so profoundly narcissistic that i wish TLP were still around to eviscerate it. he certainly raises many valid points, but it's telling that he can only conceive of trump's rise in terms of black-white racial dynamics, meanwhile all of trump's campaign trail tirades were directed against muslims and hispanics. racial grievances obviously played a major role in trump's political success, but the insinuation that it was above all else a rebuke to obama and his blackness is just silly. i think a more realistic explanation lies in fear of islamic terrorism and demographic replacement by hispanics, more an anti-brownness than an anti-blackness.

and of course there are plenty of other factors at play to explain trump's rise, namely institutional ones and clinton's poor reputation/inability to galvanize voters as effectively as her predecessor could.

i'd like to reiterate that coates demonstrates an insightful understanding of white-black racial dynamics. my complaint is that he seemingly cannot envisage an america that operates in any way beyond those dynamics.

The real kicker is that he's not even an interesting "Afropessimist." There are some great Afropessimists who are ornery cunts with good insights because of their orneriness and unwillingness to moderate themselves.

Coates is a fucking windbag who wants to live within the shelter of bourgeois white progressive society, while being whitey's token, non-threatening, safe & sanitized nigger critic. It's depressing.

At least a guy like Spike Jones is just nuts and speaks his mind (usually). Coates knows where his bread is buttered. He knows exactly what he can get away with. He knows how quickly he'd be dropped by the establishment and fall off the face of the earth if he became radical in any way. Uncle tom.

>ctrl + F white
>1 of 197
Damn.
When this racial meme gonna end? Its getting a bit old.

When is Trump finally going to open the gas chambers? Did the liberals lied to me once again?!?

americans being americans

>FUCKING WHITE MALES

Has the irony been lost on him as to his own reason for success?

You really want to deny America the talent and wisdom of MacArthur Fellow Ta-Nehisi Coates?

>MacArthur Fellow

Is that supposed to mean something?

> giving a shit about what any American, white or black, left or right, has to say

top fucking kek, enjoy your non-issue distraction

That's great writing

I think he would like to see white people actively try to dismantle white supremacy in the US.

But that's an unreasonable request.

I wish I could have the black worldview. Everything that has ever happened and will ever happen is because of the color of my skin. I wish more people had listened to Garvey. Goddamnit.

>At least a guy like Spike Jones is just nuts
how so?

I think my brain maybe did a thing.

it's called "bait". you think he's being sincere?

Black guy here. Can anyone actually explain what the fuck white supremacy is anyway?

>Black guy here
no one believes you. fuck off white boy

Not a racist and I respectfully disagree. This is disgracefully safe and boring writing from a second rate establishment writer, in form and content

Actually having just read back to myself this clusterfuck of a sentence i relinquish my right to criticise anyone else's style. Fucking hell

kek

It'll depend on who you ask. The State/Patriarchy/White Supremacy are usually stand-ins for the same things but I read Marxist influence into everything.

lmao

i can write better than this.

"Donald Trump became president because he's white, like the people who created the government and country itself."

yfw you realize the jews/cultural marxists are a stand-in for the exact same phenomenon

that's like telling blacks to stop taking welfare.

That's true but the influence is older. There's always "the man" keeping you down. Could be witches, Jews, negroes, interdimensional psychic vampires.

He wrote another article, I think in the Atlantic, about how blacks today still deserve reparations because of slavery and Jim Crow and housing discrimination... He doesn't explain how he believes it should work and doesn't address what the money would be used for or if it would actually make the country less-divided on race. He just believes they should get paid and then it will all be better for everybody's souls.

If each black person was given a check from the government that said Reparations on it, what do you think the outcome would be?

youtu.be/FRZN7IzvCVs

A black president? Maybe in science fiction.

literal slave morality

The outcome would be that they need bigger reparations and a law that makes every presidential ticket biracial.

Then they'll start asking for every second presidency to be black.

Then they'll go pretty much Mugabemode.

As much as I dislike Obama, I'm glad that the red, swollen boil that is boomer liberalism finally got popped. They got their weed smoking civil rights president. Total victory.
Now they can focus on their pensions and their anxious sense of disappointment with how unsatisfied their negro friends are.

>Trump’s rise was shepherded by Steve Bannon, a man who mocks his white male critics as “cucks.” The word, derived from cuckold, is specifically meant to debase by fear and fantasy—the target is so weak that he would submit to the humiliation of having his white wife lie with black men
Okay I know it's a Veeky Forums meme but nowhere in the dictionary or the first page of the urban dictionary definitions of cuck or cuckold do they mention that it has anything to do with race. Methinks the Coates doth protest too much

It is used like that by /pol/ memesters however.

He also implies that John Calhoun had capitalist leanings, when Calhoun was in fact something of a proto-Marxist. As was initially said by a few anons: Coates is not a good thinker.

Is there a word for this kind of mannered self conscious American prose? It's not just Coates, so many contemporary journalists have this style.

"bad prose"

It's used by them to mean bad. Anything at all they don't like is cucked.

>what would he have white people do?
He literally wants white people to stop existing. He wants to erase the concept of white people, of Europeans and people of European descent, from reality. He's a hateful and envious man who is going to dedicate his life to the destruction of whiteness because he feels weak and intimidated by the idea of a powerful identity, history and culture that he can't join.

There is nothing you can do to appease him. He claims to want white people's wallets in the form of reparations, but that's not true. He wants to BE white--he wants to be descended from European civilisation, he wants a history of success rather than one of mediocrity and failure, he wants a narrow nose, most of all wants the imaginary benefits he attributes to privilege rather than his own people's inadequacy, and he can't have any of it, so he will settle for tearing his pretended persecutors down

Basically, he's the face of evil. He's a black pit of resentment, envy, and stupidity that will destroy everything that makes him feel inadequate by comparison, which is virtually everything because he is at the bottom of the dung-heap and he is totally aware

If white supremacy were real, why would I want to dismantle it?

White supremacy would actually be pretty cool for me.

afropessimism is gay, i've read more animating stuff from black nationalist/supremacist writers, at least they write with a passionate hate of whitey

it's used similarly to 'gay'

gay=effeminate=effeminacy=bad/worthy of derision and scorn

This.
I don't know if there was a meeting or something, but the modern left seem to have decided that the most useful thing to do is to persuade white people to think of themselves as a racial group and develop racial consciousness.
Why they do this given their stated goals I don't know

Because the modern Liberal left is made up of actual white supremacists whose end goal is to create a genocide against Blacks and Jews.

Your sentence isn't even bad. What did you dislike about it

Guys, was Africa before 1776 some sort of peaceful utopia?

Of course this chimp wrote the article. Saw it earlier but didn't notice who the author was.

takimag.com/article/the_first_rule_of_white_club_steve_sailer/

Berlin Conference was when Africa was colonized on a massive scale.

To answer that question, NOPE! A lot of slaves that got shipped to the colonies were typiccly captured by other Africans in exchange for stuff. See Kingdom of Kongo or Ashanti.

before colonialism it pretty much was.
oufcourse there was ethnic strif but none comparable to the massive havoc wreaked by colonialism

i got bored in the middle but am glad to have finished the article.
8/10 would read again.
america really is racist, but this was clear since 9/11

>before colonialism it pretty much was.
Cannibalism, pedophilia, bestiality, slavery, ignorance, disease, illiteracy, poverty, and just general stupidity are not characteristics of a peaceful utopia

Most of the 'racism' in Western countries is just unsuccessful brow people attributing their communities' inadequacies to an invisible system of biases which are magically responsible for all their failures in life

America is far less racist than just about every other major power from India to Russia to China, but brown people feel eternally entitled to its accomplishments and institutions so they direct their complaints towards it exclusively

Being a perpetual victim in a benevolent society is a form of power and the grievance caste has well caught on by now

When you think about it, it's kind of obvious, but to realize this would mean a lot of sad mystery meat

Ta-Nehisi Coates is an extremely butthurt nigger with excellent verbal skills.

>but at the end of the day- what would he have white people do? What does he want?
expropriation and elimination of whites. There's no point in feeling bad, were the demographics in their favor we' d have another Rhodesia or South Africa on our hands. Taking negro whining seriously is pointless. Just ask them why they haven't left for Africa yet if American racism is so bad.

also, what Coates identifies as white supremacism ought to be more correctly identified as black inferiorism. Coates is a stupid nigger, so he would probably never notice this, but everyone around the world hates black people. He should see what the Chinese or the Arabs say about blacks sometime. Of course, he'd probably find some way to blame it on white Americans being evil, which begs the question of why he still wants to live around us.

>fellow pepes toiling the field
WTF

Ta Nehisi is a good writer

Joyce is one of the greatest writers though, like he is up there with Shakespeare, Dante tier

He wants white people to not exist. He's been relatively explicit about it but I'm phoneposting and can't look up specifics. Search "people who believe they are white" for some leads.

I realize that TNC is a fucking dweeb but so am I and I manage to be aware that there's a mainstream music genre where "black man brags about sexual assault" on tape is a fucking trope.

I imagine he means the eradication of whiteness in the abstract. I doubt he's calling for genocide or anything like that.

that's what our melanin-enhanced friends want you to think. South Africa or Rhodesia will be closer to reality. make no mistake, PoC are out for revenge.

That was actually a very good article.

post the whole sentence

"The mind seizes trying to imagine a black man extolling the virtues of sexual assault on tape (“When you’re a star, they let you do it”), fending off multiple accusations of such assaults, immersed in multiple lawsuits for allegedly fraudulent business dealings, exhorting his followers to violence, and then strolling into the White House."

You fucks are morons who can't into reading comprehension. What the fuck are you doing on a board devoted to literature?

Only worthwhile post in this thread. Most of the rest of you are literal /pol/ tier "race realists."

>soldiers, statesmen, and scholars
>presided at Princeton
>into the Wilderness and then into the White House

Lol. Negatives of what? Don't be so confident your reading comprehension is up to snuff, either.

This. Jacobite has a really good article on Trump's presidency that shows it was less of a reason culturally (e.g. identity politics like most of the Internet partakes in) and more of the fact that Clinton was an awful candidate and your run of the mill normalfags just wanted their jawbs back.

There are some good phrases there, but overall it's poor stuff.
Take this
>that bloody heirloom which cannot ensure mastery of all events but can conjure a tailwind for most of them
It begins with a vivid and accurate phrase, but abruptly peters out into a "a tailwind for most of them," which is inconsistent, besides being an instance of poor phrasing.
"Passive power," "transpire"
Really, it's just bad prose.

Jelani Cobb is the thinking man's Coates

>This. Jacobite has a really good article on Trump's presidency that shows it was less of a reason culturally (e.g. identity politics like most of the Internet partakes in) and more of the fact that Clinton was an awful candidate and your run of the mill normalfags just wanted their jawbs back.
Which would fail to explain why he mowed through the primaries, even brushing aside evangelical candidates

You failed.

It's actually better writing imo
Clear and concise, sound diction.
"Bloody heirloom," haven't we had enough of these cliches?

underrated post

coates problem is that his entire life lacked diversity, he grew up in all black baltimore raised by black nationalist parents, went to a hbcu (and then dropped out) and then got a job writing "angry blackman" stuff, if he hadn't self-segregated he might not be such a shitty writer, the thing on redlining in chicago or whatever was decent, but that's just journalism, it doesn't make him a literary figure

>the country they built
lol this guy

>strolling into the white house

Except he didn't stroll in, in fact his election was commonly referred to as an "upset victory." Most analysts predicted a win for Hillary. Is it too much to ask for an "author" to know the meaning of basic words? Where was the editor?

>the country they built
eurofag here, I've been seeing this from a lot of blacks, is this just a meme, or is there some truth to it?
like, at any given time, how many black slaves were in the us, and how did their numbers compare to free, white laborers?
weren't they mostly in the south?
and weren't they brought into the US much later than the first settlers arrived?