What is your favorite film Veeky Forums?

What is your favorite film Veeky Forums?
Pic related, mine is The Night of the Hunter (1955)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9VG0eK9zdbg
youtu.be/-N9LnkKQfuc?list=LL5rcI8DA9NxRzXyeauqJu5A
youtube.com/watch?v=nLkFCAbE5qA
youtube.com/watch?v=UbCQgAK7acA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

youtube.com/watch?v=9VG0eK9zdbg

Pretty solid choice there, user. Mine is probably either 'Celine and Julie go Boating' or 'Swing Time' - not sure which to pick.

This one is super comfy and the way Herzog can dissect someone's character in under 5 minutes is fucking great.

It's a good movie but inaccurate to say Herzog dissects people's characters. He invents new ones with great skill and theatricality

My favourite films are unironically Sans Soleil, Badlands, Chungking Express, Mulholland Drive and Weekend (the Godard one).

I know it makes me sound like I just graduated from Film 101 but they’re films I always come back to and love rewatching, especially if I’ve had a shitty week and just need something familiar to unwind to. I took film as a minor (lol) and i’m nearing thirty so I’ve seen a lot of films I’d regard as ‘better’ but those are definitely some of my favourites. Chungking Express took me a few bad relationships to fully appreciate.

I also hate the snooty and condescending attitude that some film fans have. It’s really unnecessary as film is such a simple medium to enjoy.

>Celine and Julie go Boating

Good movie. i really like Rivette's films and regard Paris Belongs to Us as being compulsory viewing for anybody who likes TCoL49. Also Gang of Four is a super comfy movie if just for the fact it follows four qt theatre students.

Good taste
Ghost in the shell and Solaris

sup charls

youtu.be/-N9LnkKQfuc?list=LL5rcI8DA9NxRzXyeauqJu5A

I like so many. How could I choose without spurging out with hundred titles?

Choose the first five that spring to mind buttermilk

Winter Light but good choice OP

My very favorite film changes every time I consider it, but at the moment it's Memories of Murder.

Unironically.

Rapture (1965)

I'm not very cineliterate but Taxi Driver really gets my rocks off.

Good but Lost Highway is even better

Raging Bull

i should have just posted it, enjoy.
youtube.com/watch?v=nLkFCAbE5qA

High Plains Drifter, White Sun of the Desert, and El Topo are likely my three favorites. All sort of "different" westerns and really enjoyable to watch, definitely influenced my writing too.

Eternal Sunshine or Apocalypse Now
>chunking express
Based af, it's in my top 5. Was my ex-gfs favorite movie and last time I watched it I ended up bawling. Your comment together with my experience makes me wonder: does someone need to attach some intense romantic experience to it in order to fully appreciate it? Or does that really just apply to all romance films, thus making it a stupid question?

I watched El Topo a few years ago and hated it. I couldn't understand anything that was going on. Maybe I'd like it more now, but it left a horrible taste in my mouth

That was always the fun part about it, trying to understand what on Earth Jodorowsky was trying to convey. The imagery has always really stuck with me, I think that's why I like it so much.

That's fair. I have to concede that it was a very pretty movie

Try watching High Plains Drifter instead, I think it's Eastwood's best movie and has a lot of similarly striking images in it. A lot more straightforward and an admittedly better movie.

>does someone need to attach some intense romantic experience to it in order to fully appreciate it?

I think it helps. The editing style is fast-paced and fleeting which is also reflected in the theme of both stories. The cop who collects cans of tinned pineapple counting down the days until it marks one month from the end of his relationship. It's the feeling of love having an expiration date after which we all know (or hope) we'll be fine but catch ourselves in a state of melancholy. Likewise, the unrequited romance between the second cop and Faye. Her idolisation of him comes to nothing because she's young and immature which is shown also by her dream of moving to California. I also think the film had some significance to the handover of Hong Kong from British to Chinese rule but I can't really remember.

I watched the film first at 16 then at 18 and just didn't find myself taken by it. I've watched it twice in the past year after breaking up with two different girls and it has so much more significance. I even watched it once without subtitles just to get a better feel of the images.

Also, I'm super jelly that it was your ex-gfs movie. I watched it with my ex and she didn't really like it.

E Topo took me like 3 viewings to really like but it's now one of my favorites

Chytilová's Sedmikrasky
Kurosawa's Ran, and Ikiru
Varda's Cleo from 5 to 7
Kubrick's 2001, and Dr Strangelove
Buñuel's The Exterminating Angel
Leigh's Happy-Go-Lucky
Fellini's Nights of Cabiria
Henson's The Dark Crystal
Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke
Lucas' THX 1138
Powell/Presburger's A Matter of Life and Death
Tarkovsky's Ivan's Childhood
Ross' Captain Fantastic
Jones' The Life of Brian
Cohen brother's Raising Arizona
Parajanov's The Color of Pomegranates
Gondry's The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Kieślowski' Double Life of Veronique
Scott's Legend, and Blade Runner
Gilliam's Time Bandits, and Brazil
Makavejev's W.R.: Mysteries of the Organism
Godard's Contempt

I've seen that one already, and I certainly did like it much more than El Topo. My favorite Eastwood western has to be The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, however. It's obviously completely different from High Plains Drifter, but I appreciated the characters and scale more. I did like the themes and, if I recall correctly, pretty frequent symbolism in Drifter though.

Yeah, that'll happen sometimes. Maybe I'll give it another watch in the future but now I'm pre-occupied with finishing off all the Ghibli movies I haven't seen, among others.

Lawrence of Arabia
Metropolis is a close second

Favorite movie that's an adaptation of a book is Watership Down

>The Exterminating Angel
What the FUCK was that ending man

All excellent.

Now I wish I had added them to my list

Whatever force, if you want to look at it that way, was not done with them.
Like one of the best Twilight Zones episodes ever made. It was essentially a revenge picture. Fuck Franco and his bourgie supporters

Why do you think the partygoers were allowed to leave once they imitated their previous actions?

I don't understand how you could like Badlands more than ANY of Malick's other movies.

Its a great debut. But I would honestly argue literally ANY of his movies is better.

The Thin Red Line, Days of Heaven, Tree of Life, Knight of Cups, The New World. All of em.

Kino

Buffalo 66 and La Haine are great for me because of their emotional resonance.

A mischievous intellect allowed this unlocking of the game, is how I see it.
It's the director of course, but the title suggest an angel or something.

Essentially how you have to take David Lynch films. In the end it was the experience.

Melancholia by von Trier

ultimate kino pictured

Are there any books like this?

In terms of suspense, or setting?

Both really, tense survival in the woods.

Shit man, I wish I knew. In terms of the tension, I always liked The Spy who Came In from the Cold; that entire book's atmosphere reminds me of The Edge.

L'argent.

Atrocious taste going on in this thread though, mods should delete before it gets more embarrassing, should be expected though aesthetic appreciation of one medium doesn't bleed over to another.

For my favorite film of all time, I'm not sure. My favorite recent film is The Witch, though.

L'argent is shite and thinking you have a monopoly on taste makes you seem like a wanker

film fags everyone

I haven't seen it, but look up The Grey.

Are you seriously arguing that artistic quality is subjective? I thought this was a board for people who studied literature seriously. Anyway, the cinematic diarrhea being tossed about in this thread isn't doing you any favors.

>comes in here talking trash
>hides behind subjectivity when called out

kek

He is a wanker regardless of the film.

But speaking of 80s films

Of course it's subjective you fucking tool. It's you being a tosser acting as if you have an objectively better taste and arrogantly assuming you're the most knowledgeable here just because you like a shit Bresson film with a plot ripped from Tolstoy and desecrated with awful meandering nonsense for most of the film. Bresson was good but he was losing it by the time he made that film and it shows

Great film

I do have objectively better taste than any of you abjectly simple-minded cretins who think they're allowed to speak about a medium they have no theoretical or practical knowledge of. It's like expecting an infant to be able to have a nuanced take on Shakespeare

Anyway, my other favorite films are: Gertrud, French Cancan, Journey to Italy, How Green Was My Valley, The Earrings of Madame de..., Sunrise, and Sansho the Bailiff

IKIRU

Taxi Driver

>have no theoretical or practical knowledge of
But, I do... I direct lol
Just face it, you came into this thread being an arrogant shit thinking a front of superiority would mean people just took your word for what you say but you've been btfo because I know L'argent and I think it's garbage... and How Green Was My Valley is garbage too

The five hour cut of Das Boot.

>I am an enlightened genius and you are infants
>lists Journey to Italy and Sansho the Bailiff
AHHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Basically looks at Roger Ebert's favourite films and thinks that means he has great taste lol

Vivre sa Vie

Nice to see Weekend mentioned, madly underrated

Great choices

9.5/10

Bresson is great

youtube.com/watch?v=UbCQgAK7acA

Lumpenprole pissant. You clearly have no knowledge of film history.
As goes for you.

I was confused, I'll leave now. I thought that this was a place for aesthetes, not for dilettantes who want to wax lyrical about how the recent pop entertainment commodity they consumed played on their emotions.

Please stop replying to the shitposter

I actually do think this is one of the best high adventures ever filmed. My dad always wanted me to watch it with him when I was younger, but I never did. Great flick.

Pray tell, what is your favorite Ford film? If it's anything other Stagecoach, Young Mr Lincoln, How Green Was My Valley, Wagon Master, Donovan’s Reef or 7 Women then you clearly have absolutely no knowledge of film theory or history. Not like you haven't already proven that though.

It's great. For some reason the three of them is just the perfect combination. Anthony Quinn is well underrated nowadays but he's brilliant

You've probably insulted me personally but I really like L'argent. My second-favourite Bresson film behind Au Hasard Balthazar.

My dad finally got me to watch The Sand Pebbles with him. Aside from one hokey scene it was pretty awesome.

>Mizoguchi's best film
>Rossellini's best film

Start with the Lumières you addled melungeon

The Searchers or Young Mr. Lincoln. How Green is not only one of Ford's worst films - it's aged terribly and is a completely unrealistic portrait which for a film hinged on reality is a grave sin. It's just the populist crap you spoke against in every way. What is your obsession with knowledge of film history you autist? I've proven it through disagreeing with your taste? Interesting one there mate. You have bad taste and a big ego

This thread was legit fine until you came in and shat it up. While I’m sure you won’t readily admit it (you) are literally the problem in this instance.

"What happened... what the hell happened?"

If you don't know about film history, you can't comment on film. Would you think you'd be able to talk about literature if you've never read Virgil? And you couldn't be more wrong, Valley is Ford at his formal and narrative best, the compositions herein outshine any of his other films. It's nauseating how middlebrow charlatans like you even deign to talk about cinema. At least it pleases me that in real-life I won't have to hear your bloviated gabble at the repertory theater.

Clerks, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Moonrise Kingdom, Dr. Strangelove, and The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. Also for nostalgic reasons Follow Me, Boys, though it's surprisingly emotional and entertaining for a movie essentially made to shill for the Boy Scouts.

Would a thread dedicated to discussing literature devolving into people posting their favorite pulp novel be "fine"? Get yourself some taste and class, you filthy pup. Start with the Lumières.

This is peak autism.

Stay comfortable with your mediocrity then. Film isn't a medium for people with room-temperature IQ such as yourself to sit in front of a glowing screen and be "entertained". It's like reading Maya Angelou and then thinking you're capable of talking about Hart Crane. You're a delusional slave.

I can smell the neck-beard

I've seen all the films you've listed so far you little fucking weasel and as a film-maker with a new short film shortlisted at a major festival I know my stuff both technically and historically. Also you might want to tone down that vocabulary there bucko it's a little bit OTT, you're not writing your autistic blog posts on French New-Wave now

Jfc, enjoy your "sundance" and "indie" film festival. Don't even dare come to my local cinematheque, I'll punch you out if I see you, you cuckfag

I doubt you've ever punched anyone in your life

Ladri di Biciclette
Blow Up
Zabriskie Point
Persona
Permanent Vacations

i know there are better movies, but this ones are the ones i like the best

>Labri
>Zabriskie Point
I like you user

Jej. Now that you're done talking about your favorite low-brow "films" you can go back to the Game of Thrones thread so you can discuss "literature"

THE DEVILS (1971)

What do you mean by kino?

My favorite color is red, my favorite food is icecream, my favorite sport is soccer, my favorite animal is an elephant, and my favorite film is.......... Kindergarten Cop.

*wink wink*

>Knight of Cups better than Badlands

Mate...

Personally, I'd say Thin Red Line and Days of Heaven are his best, but after Tree of Life his movies have been rubbish.

Post your letterboxd

>Kurosawa
>Blade Runner

My dude,

Seven Samurai is a pretty cliche choice but fuck it, that and Throne of Blood are amazing. The Hidden Fortress too!

Blade Runner is a masterpiece.

Samurai Cop is also unironically near the top of my list due to the unintentional comedy that Amir Shervan unleashed upon the world.

>Vivre sa Vie
Godard misunderstands german philosophy so badly that by the end of that restaurant scene I just wanted to bitchslap everybody in sight.

Every freakin Kurosawa is golden. High and Low is like a lost Hitchcock. His take on The Idiot was enjoyable. One Wonderful Sunday, I love his Dreams but especially that last segment with the celebratory funeral.

Love most of Scott too. Capitalism just slows these people down.

The Life Aquatic

>mfw Veeky Forums has better cinematic taste than /tv/

Seventh Seal or Amarcord for me

;-;

I liked them okay, but prefer Wild Strawberries and Nights of Cabiria

Giulietta Masina is adorable.

>Looks at the time.
Shyt.

I'm glad you said that. I am a big fan of movies with long cuts. I spent a whole night watching the 4 hour 11 minute cut of Once Upon a Time in America. There is also a 5 hour 33 minute version of the 1927 Napoleon that was released last year which is great.

Pic related is the Human Condition. A series of 3 movies that totals up to 9 hours. The only movie that made me shed a tear.

>>mfw Veeky Forums has better cinematic taste than /tv/
Well, that's not hard considering all they talk about is Marvel movies and GoT.