Ewww I HATED this book lol

>ewww I HATED this book lol
>Why did they make us read this in high school? hahah
>Holden is, like, so whiny! ughhh!!!

>Ignatius is so gross! He disgusts me. I couldn't finish it.
>nobody does anything, it just rambles on and then ends!
>I can't tell which character I hate the most. They're all soooooo awful

>what was so great about Gatsby? he threw a lot of parties?

>the blowjob scene was so cringy!
>Nothing happened, he just complained about the death of someone he knew for the last half of the book

>OMG, poor old lady!
>this is sooo boring and depressing, gosh
>I hope we read John Green next time!

>omg why is the kid so whiny
>lol what a shitty dad
>wheres the mom

o I'm with a girl and she has on one of those pointy goddamn sad little cone bras and she asks me to take off my goddamn shirt before we make out. So I do, and know what the hell she does? She laughs at my back acne for chrissakes, just point and laughs right there in the bedroom and all. So I call her a phony and get up to leave the goddamn room but she grabs me by the arm and looks at me with these big ol' wet movie starlett doe eyes. Christ, that always kills me. It really does. So I make up my mind to stay. and she's giddy and beside herself and all and we start to make out but then I get this feeling, like way deep down in my stomach, this queezy feeling, and I remember jane gallagher in her red and whtie sweater and I realize what I'm doing is just wrong and phony and all and I just up and walk out of there. And then, on the train home, wouldn't you know damn well know it, it just starts up and raining and I feel like gods up there, but not with the apostles, just alone, and he's judging me for what ive just done. But I couldn't help it. That phoebe is just so sexy. She really is

Only men understand this book truthfully.

I read it in high school and didn't enjoy it, reread it 2 months ago and still didn't enjoy it

I was unhappy in high school too, however I still could not sympathize with most of Holdens views. Are you supposed to envy Holden's naivete?

It felt like he was supposed to be an outcast, like he didn't go along with what everyone else was doing, like he was different. The thing is though he had at least some luck with the opposite sex and some pretty normal relationships with the kids at his school, he wasn't much of an outcast at all. I'm a brainlet though so maybe someone could tell me what I missed.

When I was in 7th grade my parents practically made me read it for an out of class reading assignment. When I had to talk to my English teacher about the book she asked me about my thoughts on it. My 13 year old mind came to the conclusion that Salinger was totally being ironic and disingenuous, and that he was just shitting on kids for being entitled and naive.
My teacher essentially told me to fuck off and re-read it when I was older. I am now 21 and still have not re-read it.

Unironically this.
I didnt get this book at all.

>women are vapid whores
>men are never satisfied
>new money is a mistake and we should have an aristocracy
Gatsby being referred to as "Great" is the great irony.

What is new money?
Sorry, Im europleb

If you don't already agree with Holden it's going to make no sense. It's not so much about the world as it is a particular subjective experience of the world. That feeling is that people are fake, image obsessed, not "good" people. Evidence can't convince you of that.

In order to make sense of the underlying existentialism that informs the novel, read "the crack up". One of the earliest confessional memoirs, caused Hemingway to tell Fitzgerald to his face that he should be lined up and shot for cowardice. It lays out Fitzgeralds depression.

New money: guy comes from nothing and makes his wealth. Because he had no wealth previously he acts like an idiot with it.

Old money: guy's family has been wealthy for decades if not centuries, and he was born into wealth never knowing what it's like to be poor.

It is important to note that although The Great Gatsby criticizes New Money, Gatsby himself is not acting they way the criticized act. His show of wealth comes from his own detachment and desire to fill the void in his heart because he doesn't have Daisy.
I believe that Tom's infidelity show's insatiable desire which indicates that if Gatsby had a life with Daisy he'd still be a miserable fuck.

>Old money: guy's family has been wealthy for decades
lol

9-19 decades is not considered old?

His little brother that he loved died.

the kid is little bitch tho

The book is awful though.

>omg what a perv
>he's such a pedo
>who would write this

Why?

pleb

Kys not even joking

>lol what the hell is this guy's problem
>he's just some freak with no feelings
>what a loser he just sits around all day doing nothing
>what a pointless book

>old money: some guy wins a battle and gets a castle, prestige for being a nigger
>new money: some guy wins a boxing match and gets a mansion, prestige for being a nigger
Muh old money fags are just the niggers of antiquity, and they only resent new money because usually they are more talented and are taking over, but are fine with new money when they are selling their lifestyle aesthetic to them and their son is employed as a PA to a chinese millionaire

t. Phony

i hate the prose of catcher more than anything else

This one is right though

Nigger

One of my employees, said that the other night; about hating the book.

And to think I was going to let her jerk me off.

Adolescence is sneering at Holden for sneering at others
Maturity is realizing Holden was right about everything, and also the dialogue is really good

my favourite book

t. reddit