/SLA/ - Second-language acquisition General:

What language are you learning? Are you making progress?

Other urls found in this thread:

apps.ankiweb.net/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Gaelic_orthography
learngaelic.scot/?
ciudadseva.com/otros-escritos/cuentos-de-luis-lopez-nieves-disponibles-en-internet/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Scottish Gaelic . its taken me a while to find a book that explains the actual structure and rules of the language itself. once i have that down I'll start memorizing the vocabulary.

a flashcard program:

apps.ankiweb.net/

Ancient Greek, using Athenaze (Italian edition). Just started chapter XII, that is, first aorist and the imperfect form of ἐιμι.

>native tongue: portuguese
>second language: english
>learning: italian
not that it matters much, but I'm finishing all units in duoling and its not even been a month (given, italian and portuguese are very similar). Right now I can read several song lyrics and can write basic sentences without having to depend on a dictionary. Can understand good amounts of movies without subtitles, and even more with subtitles on in italian. Pronuntiation is not a problem either. Soon I will tackle some of calvino's short stories.

Breathing marks ought to go over the second vowel of diphthongs, phile. Good luck with Greek: nice language.

Sanskrit myself. It's kicking my ass, but I'm persevering.

Norwegian; not much so far. Learning vocabulary including lots of sno and vann compound words. Picked up a reader off Amazon.

You are right, it slipped my mind. In my defense, I was trying to remember how to type the breathing marks using Euclid GP, so I was paying more attention to the program than to punctuation.

Sanskrit is the final boss of ancient languages. I wish you luck with it.

I'm trying to learn French but it's hard to pick up vocabulary through textbooks etc because there's no proper Anki deck for just grinding vocabulary (e.g. core6k with japanese). And I'm not going to fucking make cards on my own.

我写一点点中文
我说一点点普通话不好
我不好

I'm learning Spanish: could someone suggest me some good short stories? Borges would be the obvious choice but is he advisable for a beginner?

I learned much of my French vocabulary by reading two articles a day on online newspapers for some months

Cuentos de la selva by quiroga

I don't have the grammar base though. Duolingo has me learning too much vocab that I'm not able to progress as fast as I'd like to with the grammar (it's my belief that anki/flashcards is the most efficient way to learn vocab).

Well I am Italian so I guess the leap from learning the basics to reading newspapers was easier.

Are you using solely Duolingo to learn? Doesn't seem very effective, how is it?

Just opted out from learning Russian, was really fun while it lasted though. Spent a week in Petersburg and host families came back to visit us in Finland. It was lovely to live on Nevsky Prospect right next to the Eremitage :D

It's a good if you have no idea how to start learning I guess. Looking up French language guides on Veeky Forums Reddit and language forums just gives me this huge mess of websites, textbooks and lectures; there's no way anyone can figure out which one to pick. My main gripe with it is, as I mentioned before, the way it teaches vocabulary. What I'm looking for is a text grammar guide which introduces grammar points by chapter, with example sentences and a fixed list of words used (so I can learn them beforehand and have an easier time learning grammar). If by any chance someone knows a resource like this, PLEASE link it to me. Many thanks.

That said I gave up half a year ago because of time constraints (I got conscripted). Now I have a little more time so I'm considering picking it up again.

How to language learn:

Learn common phrases
Get a feel for pronunciation
Learn grammar basics
Increase vocab
Read graded books
Listen to music
Learn more
Read more
Listen more
Talk to native speakers
Realize you're still shit

im trying to learn american
but the prerequisite of a two digit iq is like shit nigga i cant do that.

Why?

Good post, thanks

I have relatives from there and feel a close connection to Alba (Scotland). Their culture is respectable and they have a pleasing language. Not to mention the beautiful landscape. If anyone is interested these resources have been helpful.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Gaelic_orthography

learngaelic.scot/?

there is a book called progressive gaelic which I learned is one of the books that colleges use to teach. there is also a series called "teaching yourself gaelic" available as a torrent. I've also taken to watching a lot of Scottish gaelic television on BBC Alba. If anyone needs any help finding / accessing any of these resources feel free to ask.

ancient greek
just started, so im pretty much just memorizing grammar rules

bilingual editions of books. particularly poetry.

reading plebby news articles works too but isnt as fun and requires you to actually look things up

I hate nearly all the music in the language I'm trying to learn. It's pretty rough.

> Feench native
> English fluency
> Spanish conversational
> learning German

Duolinguo is a pretty good app desu.

t. Reddit lurker

Use lingvist. It really helps in building your vocabuary and your reading comprehension. It made it easier to read literature, for example.
Before delving into lingvist, i sued Duoling and took a Basic (very basic) French in college. Pick up a grammar book if you aren't able to take a french class.

I speak both Arabic & English fluently, though I'm somewhat-illiterate in Arabic, should I learn another language? Or should I iron out Arabic first?

There aren't many titles in Arabic literature, so I'm inclined to go with the ladder.

keep studying Arabic imo

>born in Bosnia
>barely know the language
>don't give a single shit about it or my country or culture
>feel compelled to become fluent because future confrontations with my extended family during important occasions is unavoidable and I don't want to look like a simpleton

>so I'm inclined to go with the ladder.
I meant to say former, oops

Yeah It would be a waste if I only knew how to speak the language, It's just that the writing system is so god damn hard to learn, I'm not sure if its worth it, the only Arabic book that most people can name off the top of their head is the Quran, and I'm not going to learn how to read Arabic just for that book.

I'm in the same boat amigo - born in the UAE, I went to a private English school, so I never really picked up how to become literate in Arabic, even my spoken Arabic is getting rusty by the year since I rarely use it.

Well, you coud read a lot of the literature from the Golden Age of Islam, but i suspect it would be difficult since those works are very old and probably can't be easily understood to modern arabic speakers.

French! I'm an absolute beginner and need help!
Please offer any advice.

Maxime?

Can anyone recommend me any good french films?

Day for Night is one that I've always wanted to watch but I don't understand French and cant find it with (English) subs

I'm currently learning french, but feel like I will never use it outside of my readings.

Should I transition over to spanish since it has more of a real world basis? (I live in america). How hard is it to switch over?

Un prophète, Irreversible, La Haine,
Delicatessen, 400 Blows, Pierrot le Fou, Le Cercle Rouge

I am brazilian, learning italian with duolingo and it is very easy, of course the ease is due to the similarities of the 2 languages. middleway through the duolingo units I started reading italian song lyrics, 2/3 through the units I started reading bigger texts (articles, news, etc), writing italian and watching italian movies (or english movies with italian audio/subs). Now I just keep re-doing some units to train vocabulary.

Learning German, currently coursing B1 in school and although I already have a good vocabulary to start, there's still a shitton to see. I currently just want to get to the point of reading Goethe and Maria Rilke.

Have my phone in German and everything in it, very helpful, also playing YuGiOh Links in German has been very useful.

Lee el Principito en español, es una buena opción. Qué más... Luis López Nieves luego escribe cosas entretenidas ciudadseva.com/otros-escritos/cuentos-de-luis-lopez-nieves-disponibles-en-internet/

Las leyendas de Becquer

>book 2 understand the structure of a language

You can literally use the wikipedia article you brainlet

我[只会]写一点点中文
I [can only] write a little Chinese
我说一点点普通话[,说的不好]
我[中文]不好
帮帮我,Help me

Also Borges is way advanced, includes latin, argentinismos, french, german, etc. so I wouldn't recommend it. It was even challenging to me, a native.

Japanese. I'm at level two of the college course but I have studied at least 100 kanjis with a private teacher. I can recognize them but I can't use them nor read them 100% effectively. Kanji's are hard.

Fuck I can't remember this film about a man that becomes the CEO because the old one died. Everybody wants to fuck him over but he decide a devious plan to take them out while dealing with a french model that cock teases her the whole movie until he rapes her

Try Naguib Mahfouz

杀我吧

autistic point but kanji is plural.

>un prophete
pleb

Madame de…

>Fuck I can't remember this film about a man that becomes the CEO because the old one died. Everybody wants to fuck him over but he decide a devious plan to take them out while dealing with a french model that cock teases her the whole movie until he rapes her
le capital
its trash btw

Thanks. English isn't my first language neither so I wouldn't know that much. It's good to know now so I don't fuck up later.

Persian/Farsi, have a grasp of basic grammar and now just throwing vocab at myself every day.

'Kanji' is Japanese, user.

>Second Language
the absolute state of burgerland education, if you graduated high school you already know two languages

You don't type 'Kanji' in japanese.

Kanji in japanese

I'm American, picked up shit while traveling, lived abroad for 2 years. My Korean is my most comfortable second language .

한국어 조금 잘해요

я мoгy нeмнoгo гoвopить пo-pyccки

私は日本語を少し話します

The poster was doubting whether he should pluralise 'kanji' with an 's'.

He said his native language wasn't English.

My point is that his native language not being English has no relevance on whether 'kanji' plural has an 's' or not, since it's a Japanese word.

Marseilles
Marseille

>Kanji in japanese
Thats fine and all but how do I know it was (you) who did it?

>Go = Hana
Sometimes I don't know why even bother with this language.

i'm speaking german as my native language and english and russian fluently

spanish, french and italian only conversational and want to deepen my skills in one of them, which one of these 3 should i give a go?

Learning Japanese.

Since I got accepted to a research program conducted in entirely Japanese at a Japanese university with the topic related to Japanese literature, I'm quite happy with my results.

if you want to read the best poets of history, learn italian.

French and German are useless lenguages, frencfor niggas and Germany going to speak Arab in a generation.

Spanish is more useful.

back to /pol/ you imbecile

Even if German disappeared as a living language from the face of the Earth tomorrow you'd still have centuries worth of arguably the greatest literary tradition on the planet to peruse.

>nt:spanish
>sc:english
>learning:italian

i'm on the same boat but can understand spoken portuguese easily yet spoken italian at fast pace drives me nuts

>native tongues
english and spanish
>currently learning
german and french
>would like to learn
roman, italian, russian
could someone suggest me some good short stories in german and french?
>inb4 kleine fabel
also is russian really difficult as they make it out to be? i was able to coast through the first 20 doulingo lessons with no problems, save maybe the pronunciation. why is russian always made out to be some japanese-tier fuckery that'll take you years to barely understand?

gb2reddit

native language: portuguese
second language: english
third language: spanish
learning: persian

i'm still working on spanish but was focusing on persian lately. persian is quite hard, specially reading it since they don't write down the short vowels and stuff. idk what else i should say

How did you become fluent in Russian? Years? Hours per week?

russian's not that bad, imo, but you need a really large vocabulary, and coming from a non-slavic tongue that takes a while

not that guy, but I've studied Russian for three years (the last year spent living in Russia) and speak it pretty well. My speaking/writing isn't fluent, just very good, but I can read and understand absolutely fluently (I do my work in Russian too). I studied it like an autistic neet studies japanese though (hours every day)

Adorno used to say that German is the ideal language to do philosophy, is he right?

what was your motivation?

Thanks, I was hoping some other user could answered me just like you did.

No problem. A positive of Russian is that it's really easy to find practice stuff, since all tv and books are available online without any attempts to hide them at all. I used to spend at least one hour watching a tv show every day, at least one hour watching the news, and at least one hour reading (normally YA fiction). I also did large amounts of vocab-mining, and anki. The first year and a half I took Russian classes as well at uni, which helped with basic underlying grammar things, and I used lang8 for other grammar questions. I also wrote some fanfic in Russian once lang8 was getting boring, on sites where people anally correct your grammar.

Russia is really comfy to me. I had never been there before and had no real reason, but the cold commie-block desolation posted on Veeky Forums appealed to me, and I desperately wanted to start my life over, so I just did the weaboo thing with Russia instead of Japan. From this I learned that you absolutely can outrun your problems. Also Russian lit is pretty good and the girls are attractive, but I won't pretend that was my motivation

also those were minimums. When I found books I liked I would spend basically all day reading in Russian and vocab mining at the same time. Before I quit using anki I had like 24k words

>implying the LITERATURE board cares

if you guys have any suggestions on essential resources that I should post in the next thread I'm up for suggestions

> One weird trick to learn a language insanely fast!

Get yourself some audio of basic sentences (Pimsleur, whatever) and listen to them and repeat them out loud while you walk. Something about learning a language while physically moving around makes you pick it up faster.

You won't even look weird. People will assume you're talking on your iphone in public, which is socially acceptable these days.

tl;dr walk and learn

Do this + daily anki flashcards.

Learning grammar is a meme. All you need is deep immersion.

Memrise
Language Transfer
Graded Readers

un prophete is crime kino dude, rec me something better that is also recent

I think you should definitely read a basic grammar book and work through the excercises, but overall once you learn it once it's not like you should have to study it. Anki is god for sure though.

Honestly I'd recommend everyone here check out /djt/ even if they're not learning japanese. the way they learn there works

whats /djt/

daily japanese thread. for japanese learners. it used to be on /a/, but I think it's moved to /jp/ now? Anyway, it's full of insane autists that do speed in order to learn japanese better and study 14 hours a day

so what's their technique other than doing speed, i dont fuck with the weeb boards and i resent them

thanks

谢谢!
你很好

why would anyone waste their life learning a language from a dying culture? japan is totally irrelevant on the world stage

as an american ive been avoiding learning spanish forever even though i live in a spanish neighborhood and both of my jobs would benefit from being able to to speak spanish, recommend me some resources

is this even a question? you know the answer is animu

just check out a couple of the threads, even if youre not studying japanese you might find it helpful

Pretty easy I would imagine. Spanish is really distinct from French; if you confuse them during recall you will probably catch yourself because Spanish words and grammar sound Spanish. Guess which is which:
Fenetre - Ventana -- (fereastra, finestra, fenestram)
Chausette - Calcetin -- (ciorap, calzino)
Hamburger - Hamburguesa -- (hamburger, hamburger)
Taureau - Toro -- (taur, toro, taurus)
Cascade - Cascada -- (cascada, cascata, cataracta)

You will also find that spanish grammar is satisfyingly logical and simple in comparison; this will aid in recognizing when you've used the wrong article or suffix or something like that.

I am studying Chinese. It takes a long time to make any real progress in this language.

我在学习中文。我说了“在学习” 因为学习某一个外语是一辈子的过程。我学习中文十年了左右。如果你想学习中文你需要花很多时间。

Sanskrit. The sheer amount of rules and exceptions JUST for external/internal sandhi is daunting. I know it'd be easier if i could just grind dhātus and go from there; but the book i'm using (mueller's handbook on pdf) is even less friendly than the language itself. Motherfucker expects me to memorize two hundred rules before giving a single word.

Any good source to just learn roots?

Kinda wanna learn Urdu

Why are all the first words in the parentheses in Romanian?

Anyone have resources for learning Polish? My parents were born in Poland, but came to Canuckland because they didn't really enjoy communism. I can speak/understand basic words and phrases, but I struggle with pronunciation, and with more difficult vocab. It would be awesome to finally become one with my inner slav.