Do english literature degree

>do english literature degree
>paper feedback is always head-to-toe in 'USE FUCKING HYPHENS THIS IS A COMPOUND ADJECTIVE YOU SHIT-HEAD' and 'WHY ISN'T THIS COMMA A FUCKING SEMI-COLON?'
>learn to use hyphens and semi-colons (I think I can anyway)
>graduate
>never see anyone ever use hyphens or semi-colons ever again outside of academic papers

???

that just means they didn't really have anything else to criticize your work beside your grammar

You're like the kid in math class complaining that nobody will ever use trigonometry in real life.

also kys desu

I dunno, because my marks weren't that good, and they genuinely seemed to get pissed off at it sometimes. In second year (or is it, 'second-year'?) I got a paper back once where the marker had added probably 10 semi-colons himself on a page, and then wrote a big arrow from all of them and wrote '???????'.

I'm not complaining, it's just that after learning the correct usage of them it seems no-one ever uses them, which makes me wonder if it's just a masturbatory usage or something. Like, when was the last time you saw a semi-colon used outside of Veeky Forums on Veeky Forums? I used to think the hyphenated grammar corrections Google Chrome would provide of certain terms would be pretentious as shit to use, but apparently not.

>tfw americans only learn these in university level
that's a slightly uncomfortable feel.

holy shit op I got an easy solution for your problemos that is gonna blow ur fUcKiN MIND mate: LEARN HOW TO USE A SEMI-COLON YOU FUCKING SPANNER

p-pls tell me wher i used it wrong

if you get a programming job you'll use things built on it, that's the problem the kids who say "no one will ever use this in real life" are too stupid to get the jobs that will require it, when ur wagecuckin it at walmart ull be wishing u could use trig in ur job

>Sophomore slump
>Realize you can phone it in 90% of the time and still get an A-/B+
>Phone it in for poetry class because I don't really like what is being focused on
>Smug, goateed English professor gives me first C ever, barely comments just at the end "a truly careless essay"
>"Fuck you you motherfucker" I think loudly to myself
>Go all out on next essay
>One week later, hands me the paper with 100/100 A
>Smuggest fucking grin on his face

Cheeky bastard

>assigned paper on some bullshit old-english text
>can't be bothered to fucking read this garbage shite
>watch a 5 minute summary of it on youtube
>write paper
>get a pretty decent mark
>'good knowledge of text' as one of the pieces of feedback

Really activated my almonds. It's probably some really well recognizable text but I'm drunk as shit right now so don't remember what it was. In the end of the story the guy is blind and his cousin is fucking his wife in a tree or some shit like that.

My college English professors, even at the 300 level, have only ever marked spelling grammar corrections and took 2-3 points off. What they care about is 1) the content and 2) getting your MLA right.

>Tfw you've read Chaucer in middle English, beowulf in old English, and fuck-ton of medieval Welsh (god almighty what a miserable language) literature

I'm amazed the job offers aren't rolling in

kek

That level of formality is specifically for academic papers, you stupid twat.
Emdashes are ridiculously useful. Commas alone either lead to in-clarity or are a result of incredibly simplicity.
Maybe in America where it's a factory school.

You're both American, I cal tell.

Wrong.

*nglos are basically Americans, too. Same cancer

it's the seventh not the sixth wtf m8

that's an eight and it's right for his claimed timezone

uhhh forgive my illiteracy

Irrelevant, time-wasting prescriptivism. No wonder "english literature" is a literal non-degree.