Ovid's Metamorphoses

Which English translation is Veeky Forums-approved?

The one OUP puplishes is good

>translation
lel dont even bother

Mandelbaum

Arthur Golding's translation is one of the greatest works in the English language.

and so inaccurate that it ceases to be Ovid

Mandelbaum and Melville both have good translations. Everyman's Mandelbaum trans might be a little better (binding is definitely better if you care about that) but Oxford's Melville is more user friendly because each story is separated by titles and there are good endnotes. Personally I'd go with the Oxford

The one you have pictured is pretty good. Madelbaum is the *baum*. Seriously, he's great. Stanley Lombardo is very good, as is Charles Martin. Z. Phillip Ambrose has a terrific literal translation.

This rage for 'accuracy' and the artistic 'integrity' of a poet dead millennia. The facts are these- a TRUE Ovid is only available to those who possess the requisite classical training. Shakespeare was KNOWN to have possessed two books-- Florio's Montaigne, and Golding's Ovid. Read Shakespeare's 'Ovid' as one of the best-written classical mythographies on the planet.
>t. different user

Golding still made little to no effort in preserving Ovid's voice in his work, not to mention its archaic as shit

Does someone have to have at least the Iliad and the Odyssey under their belt before reading this?

nope, especially if you get the Oxford edition with notes.

THE MANDELBAUM LEAVES ME LIMP. COMPLETELY UNINSPIRED. DESOLATE.

I NEED SOMETHING THAT CAPTURES OVID'S BLITHE SPIRIT. HIS JAUNTY CADENCE. HIS WRY HUMOR.

PLZ.

Not at all archaic like Spenser, for instance. But know what? I completely respect where youre coming from, translation is also an art, and accuracy the primary measure as to whether one's any good or not. My personal liking of Golding's translation for it's own merits is no real argument.

This is the only correct answer.

>Florio's Montaigne, and Golding's Ovid
i own both of these and theyre both great, albeit frequently obtuse

Like life, user. Like life.
>...everybody knows you only live a day
but it's brilliant anyway

The penguin translation seems fine.

You need to have read those to qualify for being alive. Like shit nigga get on it already.

Can't speak for the others but Melville's is so boring I haven't finished after six months

I'm thinking of getting the Charles Martin just on the basis that it won't bore me to death

>9998559

BUMPING THIS YOU ILLITERATE CUUUUUUNNNNNNNNTTTTTTSSSSSSSSS

type like an adult

yeah cool whatever ee cumming all over his boyfriends back

fuck outta here

The Ted Hughes translation