Post your kitchen essentials here, Veeky Forums

Post your kitchen essentials here, Veeky Forums.

I picked up a small set of Shun Soras a while back when I was wanting to get into cooking more, but my roommates always leave the kitchen completely decimated, so I didn't actually get the chance to do that much.

Now, though, I'm planning to move out to a one bedroom apartment, and would like to actually see this through. What are the kitchen essentials every amateur cook needs in their house?

Other urls found in this thread:

thekitchn.com/5-myths-of-cast-iron-cookware-206831
lifehacker.com/its-okay-to-cook-acidic-dishes-in-cast-iron-and-other-1772555109
americastestkitchen.com/guides/cook-it-in-cast-iron/busting-cast-iron-myths
southernliving.com/kitchen-assistant/cast-iron-skillet-tips
foodandwine.com/lifestyle/kitchen/9-wildest-misconceptions-about-cast-iron-disproved
splendidtable.org/story/the-truth-about-cast-iron-yes-you-can-use-a-little-soap
sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/1091563/cast-iron-skillet-myths
illinoistimes.com/article-18554-don’t-be-afraid-to-cook-with-cast-iron.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Are you a girl?

A salad spinner. Thank me later.

Nah.

That's actually a pretty good idea. My girlfriend runs an organic farm so I have pretty infinite access to salad greens.

Digital probe thermometer, I use it more than anything else

Had one but it broke pretty quickly on me. I'll have to look up the brand of the one I use at my bakery. I swear that thing is indestructible.

Essentials?

2 knives, one chefs, one bread. Both long blades
Wok
A few pots
A non stick pan
Bamboo utensils
A roasting rack

I think i could cook most of my stuff with just those

Instant read thermometer
Stainless steel pan
non stick pan
knife
knife sharpener
rice cooker (you can use it as a slow cooker too)
tong
cutting board

Are non-stick pans needed? I've never used one in my entire life; just Le Creuset and Stainless steel/copper. They don't seem like a solid investment.

>knives
Get the wusthof chef/paring combo
>cutting board
cheap plastic from GFS
save up for a boos after you get items on this list
>pans
8" all -clad fry
12" all-clad fry
10" carbon steel for eggs and ONLY eggs.
>Pots
2qt all-clad saucepan
3.5qt all-clad saucepan
12qt stainless steel stockpot (any brand but thicker the better)
>oven
2 quarter sheet pans with stainless-steel racks
Don't cheap out and get chrome racks shit will rust.

utensils
mixing bowls (get pyrex glass nesting first)
pyrex measuring cups
tongs,turners, spiders, bent spoons, slotted spoons...

Plastic > wood why?

it's not as important as having pans.

I mean wood boards can be got pretty cheap and from my understanding are safer for meat

cheap plastic boards are better in quality than cheap wood boards.

Thanks, I'll check all this out.

Do you have any opinions on the knives I already have? Shun Sora chef's knife, bread knife, and paring knife. They seem fantastic to me but I honestly haven't had any experience with other brands. I got the Shuns because Alton Brown told me to.

Also, for the all-clad fry pans, are you talking about the stainless steel or the anodized non-stick ones?

All you need is a pan and a knife.

The other 99% is bullshit of various qualities.

Always stainless.
If you really want a nonstick for eggs get a cheap tfall and replace it every two years or as needed.

Never really used non-stick pans before. I've stuck mostly to the cast iron meme which works pretty well, I've found.

Also, hell yeah. Just checked and my local home kitchen supply store has a bunch of All-Clad stuff.

Cast iron is good, or carbon steel if you want something lighter. Stay away from stainless ad teflon for frying pans. Stainless sticks and teflon wears out. Stainless is a better choice for sauce pans. Can't really think of a situation where teflon is the best choice. Frying bubblegum maybe.

>Stay away from stainless...for frying pans.
>they stick
Confirmed for not knowing how to cook.

cast iron, pot, chef's knife, cutting board, oven mitt
you can make 90% of all foods with just these

bonus items if you're wealthy:
bread knife, nonstick, mixing bowl

I get not liking cast iron due to the weight but are you seriously telling me that you would take a stainless frying pan over carbon steel?

>oven mitt
fucking betty crocker over here. Use a towel
>mixing bowl are luxury item but oven mitts are necessary
I guess so are properly dressed salads are a luxury too.

yeah, you can make acidic pan sauces in stainless without stripping the seasoning because well, there isn't any seasoning.

use your pot to toss salads user

what if it is boiling taters?

I don't know what kind of sauces you're cooking but your average tomato sauce takes hours to strip the seasoning off of a well seasoned pan. Maybe the factory seasoning comes off easier but I wouldn't know.

The seasoning on cast iron and carbon steel is not that delicate. It take some effort to strip it off. I should know I grew up with these types of pans. I was the lazy little fucker who, when ordered to wash the dishes, let the pans soak in hot soapy water for an hour and then went at them with a metal scouring pad. Now, THAT will damage the seasoning, but not much else will.

>I don't know what kind of sauces you're cooking
yeah, you probably wouldn't.

Lol, and there you have it folks.

One of these. For the love of God, one of these.

Fry pans do a better job at sauting.
saucepans do a better job at making sauces.
I can't find a good reason to buy one of these.

They always come in handy in a pinch. Nice "jack of all trades" to have on hand in case your other shit's dirty or in use.

Make a red wine reduction pan sauce in your cast iron. Post pictures of your pan afterwards ITT.

Having more than one pan is always great. That’s why for the 2nd one it’d be nice to have a non-stick because it’s effortless if it comes to egg or cheese ingredients, imo.

>Wok
Found the weeb

Have you never used cast iron?

I literally had only a used microwave to make food the last 2 years (But boy can you make some good shit if you're creative). Only just last month did I get a portable oven, also used and was about to be thrown. I've forgotten what a pot looks like

make a gastrique, post pics.

>yeah, you can make acidic pan sauces in stainless without stripping the seasoning because well, there isn't any seasoning.

The whole don't cook acidic foods in cast iron thing is largly a myth. Anyone experienced with cast iron or really anyone who's done any research on it at all will tell you that it's overblown. Acidic foods will tend to break down the seasoning but it happens pretty slowly. The only time you'll really run into trouble is with long cook times or if the seasoning was shit to begin with.

To me the real avantage of cast iron is how easily the seasoning can be repaired. A little oil, a little heat and it's just like new. Can't do that with Teflon.

thekitchn.com/5-myths-of-cast-iron-cookware-206831
lifehacker.com/its-okay-to-cook-acidic-dishes-in-cast-iron-and-other-1772555109
americastestkitchen.com/guides/cook-it-in-cast-iron/busting-cast-iron-myths
southernliving.com/kitchen-assistant/cast-iron-skillet-tips
foodandwine.com/lifestyle/kitchen/9-wildest-misconceptions-about-cast-iron-disproved
splendidtable.org/story/the-truth-about-cast-iron-yes-you-can-use-a-little-soap
sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/1091563/cast-iron-skillet-myths
illinoistimes.com/article-18554-don’t-be-afraid-to-cook-with-cast-iron.html

>The whole don't cook acidic foods in cast iron thing is largly a myth.
so reduce vinegar in your cast iron and post pics.

Nobody's going to run a experiment and post pics just to shut up a troll. Be happy he took the time to Google some sources. More effort then I would have gone to.

OP, not sure if this is really essential but I like to keep a variety of Mason jars on hand for storage and repackaging bulk stuff I buy from the store.

>Nobody's going to run a experiment and post pics
See OP, seasoned cookware is too delicate for basic kitchen tasks.
just buy pans that can do everything. Ie Stainless.

A 12" carbon steel skillet. You'll use it more than any other pan in you kitchen.

>10" carbon steel for eggs and ONLY eggs.

Carbon steel works great for a lot of stuff not just eggs. Anything that tends to stick.

>he cooks fish in his egg pan

What pan do you use if you're cooking a salmon omelet?

microplane
mandoline
those hinged lime/ lemon juicers