What are some good motivating books that encourage self-improvement that aren't self help?

What are some good motivating books that encourage self-improvement that aren't self help?

It can be fiction, non-fiction, or religious.

pic somewhat related.

As A Man Thinketh by James Allen

it technically is "self-help" i guess, but it's like some real next level shit, it'll hit you hard

Great Expectations

Ride the Tiger.

Epictetus and Marcus Aurelius

Boring anime character recolor

*yawn*

t. Schopenhauer
t. Nietzsche

that book is written in like the 1600s, and nietzsche lived in the 1800s. why do you think it would apply to a Veeky Forums type guy living currently?

I feel like you think so to retain this pretentious image of taste and patricianness that you have... 21st century self help like anthony robbins is the new wave, ketchup

It's a well-written, insightful book; it provides good advice not dependent on a given century.

Kek.

This book just makes me want to kill myself, how does it encourage you?

Of Human Bondage

It makes me terrified of becoming the Underground Man, and gives me reason to try to orient myself away from his worldview, which I feel myself naturally attracted to.

I was motivated by the Count of Monte Cristo. As a young man, I really wanted to be as smart and successful as him.

Bump

>What are some good motivating books that encourage self-improvement that aren't self help?
Whats wrong with self help OP?

>Whats wrong with self help OP?
Idk, I just don't want to people to recommend cheesy stuff like Purpose Driven Life.

The Snow Leopard

ishmael by daniel quinn i remember gave me a lot of self-reflection. i've never seen it mentioned here.

god i hate this book.

Some things are timeless, Snowflake.

what do you mean by snowflake

they always looked the same