What is your preferred reading method, Veeky Forums? Do you

What is your preferred reading method, Veeky Forums? Do you

a) Skim the book first, then read through quickly, then go back and read more closely, or
b) Just read the book straight through once?

Well when I read, I try to really understand each sentence.

I read the book straight through once; very slowly so as to fully comprehend exactly what is written. I hate having to revisit text because of my failure to comprehend it.

I probably look like some one who is not to bright when I'm reading in public.

No need to be so mean to OP.

you do know that the reading method suggested in that book only applies to nonfiction, right?

That's not true. In pic related the author recommends reading Shakespeare, for example, quickly and without a dictionary on the first time so you get the book's whole picture first. I was also wondering if people actually did that, it sort of seems like a waste of time unless it's a very complex book like the Bible or Divine Comedy and you're analyzing it in depth. Is Adler seriously suggesting that you don't look up words as you read them? It takes so little time that it would be like skipping a paragraph for no reason.

>implying Veeky Forums actually reads since it became an extension of /pol/

I often don't look up words. It ruins the flow and you usually you understand what's going on anyway.

>Whoa!

this

not him but yes it is true. I read it and 80% of it was obviously focused at nonfiction, and specially academic books.

>I was also wondering if people actually did that
yes, people do. I never take notes or stop to look up stuff like words, references etc. the first time I am reading it. If I enjoyed the book and think it is actually worthwhile, in little time I will re-read it, looking up all references and taking notes as I go. No better way to do it in my opinion.

Did this to the divine comedy, portrait of the artist and will soon do this to ulysses

On the toilet. Fuck it. Harold Bloom was right. People are too stupid to read good literature anymore.

Definitely the first method.
It really enhanced my enjoyment of one specific book, since I already knew how it was going to end.

>Former gigolo is unhappy with current girlfiend
>Reads up on all kinds of (psuedo)scientific and academic articles.
>Conclusion: the presence of the clitoris on his girlfiend's body is the root of all problems
>His readings of 19th century (french-arab) scientists back this up, after all
>Has his girlfriend go to a mosque to have her clitoris cut off
>She agrees and lets it be done to her
>Clitoris gone, she's now stuck in a wheelchair
>Won't be able to tie her own shoe laces for quite some time
>Guy takes a look at the girl and rethinks their relationship
>Concludes that this wasn't the solution after all
>Just leaves girlfriend behind in the mosque

Really enhanced my pleasure when reading from the beginning, knowing that this was all going to happen to her

I guess its not the order you follow that is important, what really matters is to understand the "anatomy of the book" and then look at each piece closely. I usually go through the summary to catch what is the logic behind the flux of the book, like doing a fluxogram inside my head, once I understood what the writer meant to show me, the structure of his tought, I just start to fill the spaces with the info he wrote, chapter by chapter. Its more about understanding the book than following an specific modus operandi.

I first read the plot from the interwebz and what the author meant with it and then I read the book.

Does Veeky Forums have tips on how to improve reading speed? I don't mean things like speedreading or skimming through text. I want to still be able to understand everything and enjoy reading it, just a little faster.
I read about 200 words per minute on average, depending on the complexity of the text. It's frustrating. I have a habit of dropping books midway through because I'm just too slow at reading them. I'm not a native-speaker, but I'm not a lot faster in German--only 50 WPM more. Is it just a practice thing? Do I become faster the more I read?

Read slowly, writing quotations by hand on separate paper

With practice you'll improve. To the extent your verbal IQ will allow for

Read about the book, then read the book.

I just read the blurb on the book, and then read the book
why do you need people to tell you what to think, it's not as hard as you think to pick up themes in a book

I do this and feel like a slow retard.

It depends on what I'm reading. Duh.

I change methods from time to time. It gets tougher and tougher tho maybe I'm reading more complex literature in general as time goes by.
I read every paragraph of Mrs Dalloway 3 times. Once, slowly to get a general idea, then with translation of words and looking up of facts and references, then last time with summarized comprehension. Sometimes I was stuck on one sentence for hours. And sometimes I read the next paragraph to see if it'll make the comprehension of the previous paragraph easier, and then got back to the previous paragraph.

Reading a book twice would take tooo much time. Imagine reading Infinite Jest, or even Brothers Karamazov.
Yes, too much looking up might ruin the flow indeed. If my ancestors read without internet, I can read like that too. Although physical sources like encyclopedias and dictionaries were much more affordable in the past and were of much higher quality.
That ruins the surprise and suspension completely.

b) to read
a) to study
Was it that hard?

>what the author meant with it
Implying this is important in any way. If it were important, the author could just write what he "meant" instead of writing the book he wrote.

Was your weenus peenus?