opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

>Traingle poster is a Godot shill who readded it in despite no one in /agdg/ using it
wow

They just copied the last OP baka senpai

So, I was considering buying RPG Maker MV to make a simple, fun 2D RPG to get myself some foot into the game dev scene. I'm not really planning to go pro or commercial at all, just something fun I could add to my "things I've done" list. Do you guys think it's a good starting point?

Attempting some Victorian-esque deco for the Shop UI. This shit is tough to draw, man.

>Do you guys think it's a good starting point?
sure

where is the lewd?

Read the whole post you faggot. I said smooth shading looks like shit IN BLENDER RENDER. It makes everything look like a ball and ruins it. In cycles it looks nice.

Yes, but it still takes a fuckton of time. I have to render every pixel at least 500 times else it looks grainy as shit.

RPG Maker isn't bad software, the problem is that it's fairly limiting from what I remember. If you want to make a 2D turn based RPG then great. Its a good way to learn the basics of game creation, pacing, exp curves, etc.

However, customizing the engine without coding knowhow can be pretty damn tough.

Yeah absolutely, mate. But just remember that there's an rpg maker general. I imagine that lot will be much more helpful to you.

God damn, entirely forgot about that. Thanks user.

Also
Thank you both as well, seems I won't be having much trouble with is, as I'm trying to make something fairly straightforward.

Some guy in /rgmg/ re-wrote a whole ton of shit for them.
Not a fan m8.
It would work better if your game took on a Victorian minimal aesthetic like Apotheon did with mythology.
Think you should just go with degraded papyrus or something.

You should check out godot as well. It's fairly easy for beginners to get into, it can be quite powerful and you can do lots of different things with it.

You have 30 seconds to explain why your characters don't have real noses like us humans do. Pic related is perfect example of normal, human and healthy anatomy.

Hm, perhaps. It's not something I've ever messed with drawing before so I'll probably keep practicing it, but I might stick with something a bit more simple in the end.

Yours is the platformer with the priest and skeleton ice mages right?

I just LOVE bugs that vanish once I try to debug them
Hip hip
WOOOOOOOOO

>1979+37
>not having trunks

Priest yes, Chilly Spookertons no. Probably could stand to have some of those guys though haha.

Pic related, just to avoid confusion

Why did fake 16:10 for NPC dialogue focus catch on?
I never understood it.

They're obviously fixed and there is nothing to worry about

Godot was in the last thread
People do use Godot stop being a triggered faggot.

Oh, I'm confusing yours with another then.
Regardless my point still works.
KISS and steal from DS.
Except don't make it ass to navigate.

Fancy. The almost-hard-monochrome low-res artistry makes me think of original Macs.

Because my character is a ball.

it's CINEMATIC

Well I guess it's not as bad as how Bethesda do it.

It's not about dialogue, it's a good indicator that you're in a cutscene and don't have control.

Once the screen widens you know it's time to go.

nth for giving up

Gotcha. Thanks for the input regardless. I'm going to keep working on this style because I'm pretty sure I can make it work, but I do like Souls' UI quite a bit so that might be a good option look at as well.

Haha yeah I could see that. The main reason I chose a super-high-contrast HUD was to completely offset it from the game world, which has pretty muted colors and generally much lower visual contrast.

nth for !giving up

You mean 21:9 right?

Yeah that.

>Which engine is best for X type of game?
The answer is Unity, the answer is always Unity. I don't get why people ask this question so often.

I made a death animation, that shit took me a full hour...
Is it better if I make multiple death animation, considering they will be too speedy for the player to notice except if he die especially to see it?

>tfw captcha think I'm a robot when I'm not using my mobile phone?

Unfucked my blending mode and now I can draw other shapes as lighting. Too bad I need sprites with black background for the new blending, but maybe I can premultiply it somehow.

That's one slick looking metroidvania man. You got more footage? Combat perhaps?

why the fuck doesn't the binary heap of my pathfind work

I like it

Combat is barebones for now, but at least you can burn shit.

>puts unity last
>it's the best engine listed

why player hate?

That's awesome! Question for you: are any of the levels generated or all handbuilt?

Can i sell GPL games on steam?

Is it made with Unity?

No.

Handbuilt of course. Metroidvanias need attention to details when it comes to level design.

Alphabetical order you melon

Agreed. Aside from the Metal Slug explosions, is the art all yours? Some impressive tiles and HUD.

what happened to the amazon game engine? is it bad?

You can't expect Unity users to know what that means.

I was going to look into it but I remember reading that it didn't support Blender models and I sure as hell can't afford Maya or 3DSMax

>The only reason to use it was because it was a free version of Cryengine
>Real Cryengine goes free a week later.

Yes. You have to include whole source tho.

>is it bad?
It's just a forked Crytek with Amazon bloat on top apparently.
If amazon really wanted it to catch on, they'd de-German it so it's not completely hell to use.

Thanks. I have 2 explosions from metal gear, most sounds, and placeholder music that aren't mine. I made the rest by myself.

It's just new, so it's more complex and has less features, I'm sure it'll be good one day.

It's just Cry Engine except you're forced to use only Amazon web services or host everything yourself.
So yea, it's bad. Just download Cry Engine instead.

That's awesome man. Some slick art skills you've got. Best I can do is smaller pixel art. I never got the hang of digital painted sprites.

Progress :)

I'm here to show you fags that enginedevs can actually get shit done when they know what they're doing.

Can't you just export to fbx like with UE4?

Oh, man that looks neatOHGODWHATHAPPEN?

Is cryengine more resource intensive than ue4? Why does nobody here use it? Lua seems like an easier language than c#/c++ too.

Nice, it would take me less than a minute to make that in Unity™ Game Engine®

nice mspaint picture user but where is the game?

Well, I'm not much into digital painting too. I'm mostly doing pixelart, but I'm trying to reach a better workflow with painted sprites.
Just keep going, you will improve with time.

Nice job Alex. You sure showed us.

Sure, but then you'll never know the freedom of having complete control and understanding over your code.
Still day one here. Wait on it.
ty

I know there's been a few game making threads over /v/ but I usually never browse there. Is it work lurking /v/ just for this reason or those threads as shit as the board itself?

The editor is unstable and prone to corruption in my experience.
I like making levels in it but I don't trust it for a long term project.

You used to have to use plugins to export to the formats it likes, I believe it does (to an extent) support .fbx now though.

Not sure. I was just trying to pick an engine to start learning 3D when I was doing this research. Never actually picked a path.

Yup, I get a little better with each project. Usually.

I don't browse /v/ either but the ones I've seen are nice, though a bit shilly.

Got some stuff done this weekend.
Am wondering how to make the game a bit more fun though at the moment.

Added a title screen but not sure about its 'look'.

The duck can fly and sleep now.

They seem to have died out, don't know what happened maybe the community got sick of them.
In my experience they were quite different to agdg. There were no established shitposters trying to leave a legacy of shit. So you wouldn't really see shit like dogs or source. Though sometimes I saw shitposters retreating there after losing a shitpost war here and bringing the shit with them even though most people didn't get it. There was also generally less bullying coupled with a larger rate of people finding the thread so you got a lot of beginner questions, hello world type projects and nodev drawfag ideaguys. Also the rest of the board seemed to hate those threads so there was a lot of leaveposting.

I think I'm too old for /v/. Majority of the posts scream teenager / 20y old smartass.

What language / libraries are you using friend? I'm currently planning out my first game and I was hoping to build it from scratch as well. I've worked with Java quite a bit and C++ and Python too.

Yay for Tiled

This is accurate

i just want all of you that aren't memeposters to know that i love you and i love seeing your games evolve and I hope you like my waifujam game.

How does your game work? You fly around space discovering the alien planets and they have these dungeons on them?

I love you too senpai

Post it.

Bokube dev here, messing around with vive support today and I went offtrack and made a locomotion mechanic il probably use in other titles. The goal was to make a locomotion alternative to teleportation. Your room-scale bounds act like a magic carpet and you point with your hands where to slide your roomscale bounds.

I added collision code to so if your roomscale bounds hit a collider your ride comes to a break, and you can't clip into walls.

Vive shit looks like so much fun but how big is the audience? I guess most people aren't poor as shit like me and can afford a set?

Some of them, yes.

In the dungeon I'm working on right now you have to find the birthplace of the monsters on the surface, which will be a boss.

Valve has confirmed 50,000 vives in the wild and sold. Though not huge mainstream appeal, its bigger than most technology at their starts.

Though /v/ and most of Veeky Forums will shitpost it and tell you otherwise don't take my word for it.

Added swimming. Need to make some animation for swimming forwards. I'll be adding timer that starts running once you start swimming (when there's no solid ground under your feet) and if it runs to 0, you will drown. Water also slows movement speed, not sure if it slows too much.

I like it.

how would I texture a big environment mesh depending on the normal of the mesh?

I could define a roof, side and ground texture and depending if the normal is pointing sideways, up or down, the texture is assigned automatically.

Am I looking at shaders or rather a texture script that transforms a material.

your game is honestly charming as fuck. When can we expect something playable?

So far just JS using html5 canvas.

Probably going to go down the nodejs/socket.io route aswell.

Poor guy, having his ears pulled like that.
How will the players tell the difference between friend aliens and monster aliens?

That looks damn nice, mang.

Hey I'm not saying its a worthless market. Just curious. Your vid looks pretty cool nonetheless.

Damn that looks nice. A great deal of inspiration from the SotN-era Castlevania games, I take it?

Engine?

If we had our own board (no, not on 8ch or 420 but here) we could avoid the useless engine wars.

When's the next demo day?

I might release a demo when this dungeon is finished. Maybe in a month or 2?

I have ideas for it but don't bother till it becomes a problem. And it will become a problem when people say it's a problem when they play the demo I will eventually release.

unity

Been working on a UI system and menus this past weekend, plus saving/loading. Not much gameplay, but I've been doing something. I think the plan is to get interactable NPCs and dialogue in next week, plus some sort of preliminary progression tracking.

We could avoid them if everyone just used Unity.