What generals in history went full >muh ideals and never seized power even if they had the chance?

What generals in history went full >muh ideals and never seized power even if they had the chance?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DtrL-WWLU3s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Rommel

San Martin

pretty much every american general ever

Cincinatus is famous for this and only this.

"Prussian field marshals do not mutiny."

Yang Wenli

Patton would have if he hadn't been assassinated.

Yeah he was excellent but he sure as hell was happy to denounce hitler once every nazi was dead or in hiding

Yeah and it ended well for him

The series itself denies this as Reinhard's empire became more prosperous and overtook the decaying and corrupt democracy Yang Wen-Li fought for

No, theyre quite cucked. Presidents approval is needed for large ops since hes commander n chief.

Weve had a few general presidents tho. Grant, washington, ike.

Yeah but Yang went actively hard denying that he wanted power, after restoring power after the coup, not killing thrunict, etc

>yo what if we treated our leader like a god
>that wont be a rebbelion causing problem xD
>7 rebellions occur
>meanwhile everybody is shitting on the republic for having a few corrupt politicians

I hate Yang

What animu is this? Sounds interesting.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

kek

No seriously faggot learn to do a reverse image search instead of being spoonfed.

Neo Genisis Evangelion

The show doesn't show the scope of what Reinhard's empire would turn into, which is the whole point of Yang's point of view. You're far more likely to be heavily abused in an autocracy where only one person needs to be corrupt, versus an entire system of government needing to be corrupt. Furthermore with an autocracy, corrupt breeds future corruption with the only exception being exceptional men like Reinhard. But corrupt democracy can be taken out of power, just as the GOAT feared would occur when they ordered the plan to invade the Empire.

The nazi army general staff where inches away from assasinating hitler so many times, but they chose not too.

I think they were okay with war and couldnt get another politician to rally the people in time for a blitzkrieg.

Legend of the galatic heroes

Belisarius.

>GOAT
Fucking autocorrect I meant FPA

LoGH is hands down one of the best series ever made in television and film, if not the best. There are things I like more personally, but nothing else I know of that literally everybody who watches it likes. The only people who talk shit didn't actually watch it.

A very Veeky Forums series even though it's set in the future.

Enlighted autocracy is still better for quick and drastic changes

youtube.com/watch?v=DtrL-WWLU3s
Start with this intro movie m8

Pfft. The alliance never had a chance to win in the first place. How can 15b fight, win and subjugate 28b?

>but muh GDP
Then how is FPA facing brankrupcy only after Astate while Reinhard's empire is only drying up the treasury after

>losing a super weapon
>only those losses from Yang
>moving the capital
>building shit on phezzani
>enduring a civil war
>building 2 new superweapons

Face it, the show slants heavily to autocracy after Yang's leg surgery

Well the economy minister said that the FPA was spending like 35% of GDP on military expenses and also they had a shitload of debt that they couldn't pay and (((rubinsky))) was giving them more loans that they couldn't pay

Then that just shows that FPA never stood a chance to win even with Yang. If anything this shows that LoGH always had a bias towards the Empire and autocracy.

Well Yang was one swing from his arm from winning the war for the FPA but he had to go full >muh values and accept the cease fire and unconditional surrender order from this """""politician""""""

Well that guy was elected

Democracy in action

yeah and it went well for the FPA

Even if marienoff didn't pull off her move and Yang killed Reinhard, the Imperial forces will just regroup and remain a threat to already exhausted and outnumbered FPA. They could never win in terms of resources, at best not lose.

>Enlighted autocracy is still better for quick and drastic changes
This isn't true at all. for democracies America alone has examples of leaders like FDR, Teddy, Lincoln and more who were able to quickly and effectively manage problems and reforms. The idea that autocrats can do things faster is a lie told because it makes for good stories. Any authoritarian leader maintains his power through the loyalty of privileged groups. In the case of a feudal monarchy it's the landed aristocracy, in the case of a modern junta it's the military. In all cases the authoritarian must serve those groups needs instead of the nations. If he does not those groups withdraw their support and he is overthrown.

But your ignoring the fact that it's aristocratic structure meant that Reinhards death could cause chaos in the empire as everyone jockeys for position. This probably wouldn't happen though as the author was so heavily biased towards the empire he would have found some bullshit reason for them to win. The Empire seriously boggles belief. An aristocratic form is the most inefficient and weak form of government imaginable, you couldn't run a modern first world country as one let alone an interstellar empire.

The more plausible outcome would be power struggles among the generals (ahem Ruenthal) but my point still stand that the already weakened FPA can't do much to capitalize his death, at best reestablish the difference in power to when the series begin, which still heavily favors the Empire

Cincinatus
George Washington
Albrecht von Wallenstein
Belisarius
Garibaldi

>Albrecht von Wallenstein
Could he really have seized power? I know that they had him assasinated for fears of just that, but I feel like he wouldn't have really managed to accomplish much beyond alienating the half of the empire that he wasn't at war with should he actually try to seize power.

Zapata and Pancho Villa
well they were not generals but warrior leaders anyway

But they did try to seize power
I put him there mainly because although he was Protestant he stuck with the emperor.

they actually took Mexico City, had their picture taken in the presidential office and went back to their villages and tequila bottles

Ah good, someone said it. He was the first one to come to my mind but those buggers back in Constantinople still didn't trust him. Poor Belisarius

Vasilevsky after Stalin died.

all roman dictator before caesar

An overhyped, overrated, inflated-by-details anime of Mary-Sue dialogues and bland battles. When somebody says "the show doesn't get good until 20+ episodes in" you know there's something wrong.

As you can already tell, nothing good can come from me writing this review. Legend of The Galactic Heroes is beloved on this site, a great deal call it a classic, and here I am writing about it being only "average". I have not finished the series: I can't, and this review is intended to tell you why I can't, but moreso, why others like me, who bought into the hype, shouldn't waste their time (a LOT of time).

The story of Legend of the Galactic Heroes follow the protracted war between the The Galactic Empire and Free Planets Alliance with a stunning degree of depth. You will know why the war started, who started it, why they started it, and why it mattered to the characters. What you might wonder is: why does it matter to you? This is where the main problem with LoGH arises, and the first problem with the story: this is a series of details, not entertainment, not development, not provoking ideas, but details. This is where LoGH gets its staggering 110 non-filler episodes. It is a slow crawling assault of information, mostly useless. If you enjoy fictional history, this will not be a problem for you. You'll even be treated to several episodes of literal fake history lessons, in a documentary-style format, with interviews from fake historians and everything. Having fun, yet?

The second problem with the story is actually a problem with its characters. They fall into only two categories: Mary Sues and trying too hard. The main characters, Yang Wenli and Reinhard Lohengramm, can twist probability and reason in such ways that would make the characters in Gurren Lagann blush; they can do no wrong. Yang Wenli is outgunned to some astronomical degree like 1 to 100 most of the time and he wins because of "superior strategy" or "morale". Julian, Yang's boy servant, can also do no wrong. He'll commandeer warships with little or no effort. They don't try to disguise this, as every character who loves Yang, Reinhard, or Julian will survive, and everyone who disagrees with them, regardless of how justifiable their reasons are, will die, at least in the first half of the show. This is where trying too hard comes into play. Look no further than the character Poplan, where you'll notice it first. He's horny, and he will appear in no scene without reminding you he likes women and that's his only trait. Oberstein will go through every scene looking suspicious only to have absolutely no payoff. An even greater insult to this cast is Fredrica Greenhill, who just blatantly admits she's useless aside from making sandwiches and tea. We get it, these are one-note characters. You cannot care about any of them aside from the aforementioned Mary Sues, making over half the cast uninteresting. Most of them just serve as vehicles for the three main characters to spout more of their ideals.

How does "morale" make a difference, anyway? Does morale make lasers stronger or weaker? These are space ships; morale has no bearing on the functioning on mechanical constructs, morale barely has an effect on conflict even in our time. Everything you heard about the tactics in LoGH is a joke. They use simple ideas like "Circle around behind them" or "Don't tell them about our main fleet", and apparently, that's very impressive to a lot of people.

You won't need to worry about this, though, action is sparse in LoGH because they prefer to drink, eat, stare out windows, converse, and philosophize for most of their screen time away. You ever wondered how Yang feels about democracy? You're gonna know. You're gonna know over and over again.

The third issue with the story is that it's entirely implausible. There's only two ways for the enemies to cross into each other's territories, and they never really explain why other than "we'll die". Wars are lost and the remnant survivors are still implausibly able to combat the enemy for the sake of plot. This would work in a show that didn't take itself so seriously; it doesn't work in LoGH. Also, in the future, wars are waged with battle axes and armor in space ships, lasers are less lethal than bullets, and everybody lives and looks the exact same way that they do now. LoGH exists in some strange mindset of the future where we got into space (somehow), developed some very limited mass-communication, and all other technology stayed in the Middle Ages. The show Star Trek did it better in the 1960s, and even changed the world we live in with its ideas (like the wireless communicator AKA cell-phone), what is LoGH's excuse? It doesn't have one, it's just not creative enough. What's strange is that one would think, given the absurd amount of historical and political babble, that this show would've given equal care to imagine life in a futuristic outer space, but it doesn't.

While the creativity and story of LoGH is sickeningly weak, its artistic merits were more worth my viewing. Classic and orchestral music scores carry the scenes well, though the scenes themselves look bland; characters are barely animated, even compared to other anime of this era. It's very stiff, not that it needs to be extremely fluid for characters to sip drinks and talk.

There's some shocking scenes of gore randomly spread about, too, but the action mostly comes down to these short bursts of lasers, explosions, and blood effects. It lumbers monotonously on the dance floor, but it does it to a classy sound-track, at least.

The main attraction of this show is, apparently, the dialogues between the Mary Sues. Admittedly, they are pretty entertaining for a good 50 episodes. They touch on a lot of subjects that are relevant even more in today's world than they were then, which is surprising and delightful. If you keep up on current events, or even politics in the slightest, there's a lot of meat for you here to dig your teeth in. This raises the question, though: why aren't you just reading about politics? The ridiculous set-up of this story's conflict, and the sheer "greatness" of its main characters makes taking its subject material seriously impossible, yet it practically commands you to.

Let me sum up, and re-phrase that last part. The main attraction for Legend of The Galactic Heroes is the ability for one to say "I watched something from the 1980s that nobody's heard about or cares about". Then one can say "It was mature and intelligent, despite the fact I learned nothing". This show is a waste of time as entertainment, this show is an example of what NOT to do with a show about the future, space, philosophy, politics, and the human condition. There's a reason only MAL and hipsters care about LoGH, and everyone else knows Star Trek and Star Wars. Star Trek (classic) and Star Wars (classic) had vision and creativity that inspired generations and scientists. LoGH has 110 episodes nobody watched, flat characters nobody would recognize or identify with, and a literal universe of wasted potential.

Holy fuck so much autism. Why did you bother typing all that out?

Agrippa.

Germanicus Julius Caesar.

>typing all that out
His posts are half a minute apart, retard.
And since when are reviews autism?

Getting back in topic after that LoGH sperg, I'd say Yue Fei of the (southern) Song Dinasty.

He dindu nuffin'

And while we are at the topic of China
I would say Guan Yu, the Saint of Brotherhood

But Guan Yu never had a chance to take over anything, and he was extremely unruly too.
How does he fit here?

napoleon refused to call another levee en masse after waterloo because of muh bourgeoisie

>America alone has examples of leaders like FDR, Teddy, Lincoln
All three of these men were denounced as autocrats by their political enemies and in Lincoln's case, it was kind of true.

>An aristocratic form is the most inefficient and weak form of government imaginable

The empire wasn't that form of government by later in Reinhard's rule.

All of those president's were authoritarians.

Well if they chose to be near a quasar to mine radiation for energy, certain parts of the galaxy would result in instant death

>Fredrica
>one note
I never want to see this pasta again. Get it away from me.

George fucking Washington

make heinessen great again

King Washington would have been way cooler

why did he have to pussy out

I remember watching a documentary, possibly on the History Channel, many, many years ago, and one commentator said that Washington had every intention of proclaiming himself king until his only son and heir died before the end of the war. Is this true? Is this intent documented anywhere? I'm not American, I only know the US history in very broad strokes.

Democracy is rule by the worst.

Rule by those with immediate gratification and no understanding of the long term consequences for their choices.

How is Lincoln an autocrat when he had to win a contested democratic election to keep his job? He also had a non-puppet legislature that was also duly elected that he could not simply overrule.

>All of those president's were authoritarians.
None of them were, they were all fairly elected and had to work within their constitutional limits and were checked by the other branches

Why don't you into universal education America?

Could he have realistically attempt that and achieve it at any given point? It went completely against the mythos of the rebellion.

>Rule by those with immediate gratification and no understanding of the long term consequences for their choices.
You just describe any human ever, we can't into long terme thinking, ever go beyond 3 year of planning?

Washington
Cincinnatus
De Gaulle

>it took 4 posts for the embodiment of the OP to show up in replies

embarrassing

That's all you gotta say to him though? Won't even try to prove him wrong?

There is nothing to argue aganist in that review. Its just a string of pointless statements.

Some humans can. Democracy ideally puts those of merit in charge, but in practice the system is ruined by the fact that what's a good idea isn't necessarily a popular idea, and vice versa.

*Cries Imperial tears*

t. someone who didn't watch it

>The main attraction for Legend of The Galactic Heroes is the ability for one to say "I watched something from the 1980s that nobody's heard about or cares about"
LoGH is one of the most popular and well-known series. I could dish out plenty of titles that fit the description you are pushing, but LoGH is not one of them.

>LoGH has 110 episodes nobody watched
One of the most successful OVAs of all time, that's why it went on 110 episodes.

idc if you pretend to dislike it even if you haven't watched it but at least avoid being objectively wrong.

Yeah what a shit president that was about to be stopped by this old decrepit unarmed old man but was saved because of space snackbars

At what point does the democratic system need to be """"refreshed""""?

>LoGH
What pissed me off is Julian paling in comparison with Wen Li
>muh constitutional monarchy
>muh middle road
Little faggot had no balls.

100% this

>If you enjoy fictional history, this will not be a problem for you
What's the deal with this tard, he's saying that it's like a documentary but then says that if you like non-documentaries this is not a problem
>You'll even be treated to several episodes of literal fake history lessons
>completely, utterly missing the point
Won't even bother reading the rest of this shitheap of pretentiousness, even though there isn't even the need to say it

>who should pick those with merit?
>me, of course

I don't think this is true.
We have a lot of written shit from pretty much all of the major founders of our country and that is never mentioned.
It's more that other people wanted him to declare himself as King. Most people would've liked that, too.

Why? If you read between the lines, it boils down to "this is an anime for autists who love history and detail and enjoy learning things that have no practical purpose"

LotGH is well and good but Hyouge Mono is the best historical anime OF ALL TIME

>His sentence of eighteen years in prison was later reduced to twelve, and he served only four years before being released in 1953. As a military advisor to the West German government in the mid-1950s, he helped re-establish the armed forces.

Germans really get away with everything.

I think he's talking about the time he was being recruited by Cao Cao but he kept jumping through hoops to refuse him. It doesn't really fit the thread maybe.

In the Three Kingdoms novel Zhuge Liang and other great strategists made a big show of declining powerful offices just to show how Confucian they were. I can't remember the number of times someone begged and groveled before them.
Liu Bei is also presented as so stubborn he refuses to make territorial gains for absurd reasons of deontology, much like Yang.

>having a few corrupt politicians

they literally gunned down thousands of innocent peace demonstrators in a massive stadium, how do you not remember this?

their enforcers killed a war widow of the dude at the beginning who got cucked by a massive steel beam and then by his college friend with his widow.

Democracy failed, autocracy succeeded.

>How is Lincoln an autocrat when he had to win a contested democratic election to keep his job?

Autocrats can be elected you know.

Sengoku Teatime is pretty damn fucking good.

>Could he have realistically attempt that and achieve it at any given point?

Yes, Congress was actually discussing making him President for life or something.

His stepping down made such a massive precedent for good reason. He absolutely could have held onto power and people would have celebrated it, but he decided not to because it would defeat the purpose of all those years of war and strife, power in the hands of the people through their elected representatives.

that is literally what every single person who casts a vote thinks. They wouldn't vote if they didn't think they knew what was best.

That's my point?

He would have had the backing of the entire continental army, so yes he could have done it quite easily

Is it.

Is it?

This is why a good democratic republic will be tempered by plutocracy. People vote with money, since they think they know what they value, and affirm that by trading their accumulated value for other values. The value-exchange increases the value of people, the producers, who have more competence and direct interests in the supply of values that the consumers yearn for. Politicians are middlemen in this process, between production and consumption. Eventually I hope we outgrow them altogether.

>it's an "autistic ancap equates moral virtue with wealth" episode

>equates moral virtue with wealth

why not? I mean we might as well.