Starting Strength

To everyone here who thinks SS is a meme, what program would you recommend for a beginner instead?
Also, why do you think SS is bad?

Bumping

Bench and curls 2 days a week
Shoulder press and lat pulldowns 2 other days

SS will give you giant legs and little muscle hypertrophy

So essentially the belief that 3x5 grows legs a massive amount but no other muscle group

>only training upper body

good1

Veeky Forums greyskull LP

I recommend making your own workout routine, it's easy as shit just hit the major muscle groups every rotation

add in some leg press? idk what to tell you chief, you either train to look good for dudes or train and look good for chicks.

what are your goals?

>implying girls don't notice chicken legs

To gain weight and become Veeky Forums

For confidence and physical health reasons

are you 12?

No, just squatting 3 times as often as you do any other exercise will

All they care about are calves. A few sets of calf raises every other day and youre good below the waist

your right boss, while im over here slamming pussy, i'll let you take the squat rack so you can slam out some 5x5 on some triple digit kg and drink a gallon of milk

SS is a good place to learn the big 4 compounds and get a good strength base then.

Canditos beginner programs can be good too

Not 3x m80

SS has upper body accessories too you know?

SS is a meme is a meme

>literally letting what woman like dictate this much of your life

pathetic tb h

just pick something and do it instead of asking retarded faggots to make a sales pitch for the meme they support

thanks chief

no. everyone can notice a distraportionate body.
even when you are clothed.
everyone is laughing at you.

anyone can fuck chicks, even fat ugly guys.
you get your dick wet. good for you.
doesn't change the fact you look ridiculous.

Fuck SS. Do SL 5x5

How hard is it for you guys to create your own fuckin routine? Just hit every muscle group and track your progress. Don't understand the trouble grasping this

okay boss

>"dont do a legit routine created by a seasoned powerlifting coach and do its knockoff version created by a marketer!"

seriously, most people in the gym don't know anything at all about these gay internet routines, they just go lift hard on some slapdick program or whatever they feel like that day, drink beer and eat wings on the weekends, and are non-autists about life in general, and they do just fine somehow

god, nerds can fuck up ANYTHING

yeah, what's with all the squats? Surely dl is superior?

DL is hard on your body, squats benefit the dl anyway

yeah dl is hard on your body but a few sets every other day is good. Squats are for legs and core

Not if you're deadlifting at a proper intensity

what do you think the main muscles used in a deadlift are?

ITT, fuck it ITB, people who don't read the book

>accessories cannot be added

2x at most
And the book specifically goes over why this is so
>turning down fast, easy gains in the stage that you have none

Pic related

Literally a cheap ripoff of SS (which is also copied from other templates/principles) which adds 2 more sets for >muh volume, even though the program recommends you taper down to 3x5 and >muh rows for people who can't be bothered to clean. IMHO though, I think swapping the cleans for rows is fine for the average person that will not play sports

Beginners don't haev the knowledge/experience to do so
They don't need any training complexity and standard models exist for a reason. These beginner templates have less room for customization for good reason
That's why you see people do fucked up shit like confusing what works what and putting curls at the beginning of a workout (among other things)

Try deadlifting heavy with volume for linear progression every other day and see how far it gets you overall
Hint: It won't get you as far as other things do

sure thing chief

hamstrings, glutes, core?

Yep pretty much, which squats hit more effectively

I broke my dl plateau a while ago and went from 4.5 to 5 plate while deadlifting a minimal amount once a week but hammering my squat

SS is simple, there so many programs, It's easier just to do compounds a few times a week with a few cheeky curls here and there than to do chad thundercocks 17 different isolation exercises

what should i do? I've stopped making progress on ss

I'm on a squat plateau, it hasnt improved in weeks

what weight and what do you do in a week for squats?

doing ss

230 lb squat 4 times a week

you don't squat 4 times a week on SS. Dropping that extra day should give you more recovery

>accessories can't be added

>book days to follow programming exactly as written, which is without accessories

>what should he essential part of training for over half your muscle groups is called am "accessory" anyway to imply it isn't a core part of training

>user them proceeds to say new lifters aren't smart enough to do their own programming, thus defeating his own argument of "just add accessories"

SS is such a fucking shit meme.

most Veeky Forums posters grew up without any male role models or, at best, an endless parade of black "uncles," so they naturally gravitate to whatever caricatures of sexually retarded masculinity present themselves, such as rippetoe and zyzz

>book says to follow programming exactly as written
No it doesn't. There's a whole fucking chapter dedicated to accessory/assistance exercises. IIRC there are more pages dedicated to them than to the actual routine itself

It instructs you on how to intelligently add them and you can't really go wrong with just adding a few to the basic template

Have you even read the book?
Can you explain your gripes without memetext? A few are valid, but I don't see them mentioned in this thread

Uncle tyron warned me about people like you

Nobody who complains about SS has read the book.

What are your lifts at?
If you are unable to make linear progress, you are done with SS. Read the book
>inb4 shit lifts and YNDTP

>squats hit hams and core more effectively than deadlifts
Total bullshit

Rip is on record saying you should follow his routine exactly as written, and thus will happily lead you down the path to t Rex.

Doing a 6 day a week PPL focussed on compounds and progessibe overload is objectively better than Ss for a balanced physique for aesthetics or strength that most people are training for.

Even for powerlifting SS sucks since it neglects 2/3 of the fucking lifts in its continued mad dash for squats.

Furthermore it still leaves what should be the real meat of a routine in the assistance exercises section, because it's just fucking squats and that's all he cares about.

Furthermore as a coach he displays little more than decent anatomical knowledge and tips for good form, his training methods have literally no pedigree and have produced no noteworthy results, and are in fact widely shat on bu those who have followed them on this very board.

There is literally no material evidence to support the notion that newbies should pick SS over any other routine that hits everything twice a week.

LITERALLY NO ONE

lowbar squats hit your glutes and hams, the main muscles in deadlifts

The core is just a stabiliser for deadlifts

Don't yank me son I've been at this since the 60s.

s-sorry :(

Try Jason Blaha's Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 Novice Program

I did SS but instead of Squatting 3 times a week i overhead pressed 3 times a week. Now my upper body is FUCK HUGE and my legs can barely hold me up.

along with his Ice Cream Diet program

Most people myself included never read the book, so doing the basic template would have you squatting 3x/week and bench pressing 1.5x/week. Following a program like that would give you great general strength (because strong glutes) but subpar aesthetics (because chest/bis/tris/lateral delts are weaker proportionally). A linear ULxULxx or PPLPPL template would be better aesthetics-wise since every muscle gets hit 2x/week.

Oh geez
I know the girl in OPs picture

How exactly is SS a meme?
>gets your bench up
>squats up
>ohp up
>dl up
>rows up
People who can push and pull more look better than someone who trains the same weight all the time.

Two things tend to go wrong with SS, and neither is really the fault of the program.

1. Nobody reads the fucking thing beyond the template and they screw it up terribly as a result

2. Its become the default unthinking recommendation on SS so it gets thrown around as the answer to a bunch of situations it wasn't actually meant to help.

>Rip is on record saying you should follow his routine exactly as written
Source?

Because here's a few lines actually from SS
>Useful assistance exercises
>Ancillary exercises
>There are other exercises that can assist these five and improve certain aspects of their performance
>chin-ups are so useful that they are included in the program from very early on
>LET'S DISCUSS ADDING EXERCISES TO YOUR PROGRAM
>Since you're going to do them anyway, we might as well discuss the right way to do curls
Etc

>training methods literally have no pedigree and have produced no noteworthy results
Many thousands of beginners, myself and some others on my former powerlifting team (a few of which are national champions) disagree. This program is obviously not designed to train people up to being world class lifters, which you are seemingly implying

>There is literally no material evidence to support the notion that newbies should pick SS over any other routine
This is where we can find some common ground. And this really is the question, isn't it? How can someone, as a noob, gain strength and put weight on the bar the fastest? I would believe in SS or a very similar template for this purpose

The core is just a stabiliser for squats too. Being more leaned over with heavier weight = more work for the core.
And again, claiming squats work the hams more than deads is just asinine. Any EMG test or something similar will (and HAS) proved this untrue and it's ridiculous to claim the opposite without a valid source

There isn't much stopping you from adding dips to the non-bench day, lateral raises, lying tricep extension (which Rip actually raves about IN THE BOOK) and curls (see above)

I am not arguing that SS will produce better 'aesthetics' than other routines though, please don't make a strawman out of this

Pic related, as forgotten in a previous post

>I am not arguing that SS will produce better 'aesthetics'
Good. Pic related it's Zach's symmetry at 242 lb used by Rippetoe as SS' poster child
That's why "SS is a meme" exists

starting strength isn't bad. just do it.

Seems pretty balanced to me, everybody has weaknesses. My deadlift and OHP have always been ahead and I did SS

Where did you get this though? I was under the assumption that there wasn't much info about Zach floating around

OHP doesn't increase your size that much

I did SL when I first started lifting. Made sweet gains and put up pretty good numbers, still recommend and wish I would have started with SS

>The core is just a stabiliser for squats too. Being more leaned over with heavier weight = more work for the core.
>And again, claiming squats work the hams more than deads is just asinine. Any EMG test or something similar will (and HAS) proved this untrue and it's ridiculous to claim the opposite without a valid source

Try and do the same amount of volume in deadlifts as in squats and you'll see why it's easier to use squats to help drive deadlift gains