/run/ - Running General

Welcome to /run/, Veeky Forums's running general. Ask questions and discuss about training, clothes/shoes, races, whatever else.

Previous thread: Pastebin (FAQ): pastebin.com/pjMQQ46m

My achilles tendon has started aching recently and my left knee aches all the time and is almost always swollen, especially after running

Should I take a break from running or will it go away in time? Kind of don't want to take a break though

Is it your left Achilles that hurts? If it's all on your left side you might need to start rolling a lot more and stretching frequently. Roll your feet on golf balls to see if it eases up your Achilles tightness as well. ICe you knees every day and slow your running right down and you may get away with not needing a break. Prob should have 1-2 days anyway while trying to rehab it. Good luck

Does anyone have a pdf of the Hanson Half Marathon Method or know where I can find it?

Yeah man, never had a problem with my right, but my left always seems to have something wrong with it. I stretch pretty frequently anyway but I'll try the golf ball rolls

I'll go for a slow run tonight after rolling and icing my knee and see how I go, thanks

Keep icing your knee, like multiple times per day over the next few days, if you have time. (20 minutes per session)

How to train for 800?

Start by spending 6-8 months building a base of longer running 5 days a week. Some slow running at first then up the tempo and then distance. Come back and ask for the next part around April 2017

Everytime I run >1000 or so meters continuously, I start getting pain in my lower back, I mean every. single. time. It really impedes in my ability to run, and I know the problem is not (most likely) a weak core. Is there anything I can do besides stretching pre-run?

Also, as such, I always manage to fatigue my muscles before my ability to breath effectively is gone (I can run 5 miles with hills but won't be breathing heavily when I finish? not sure if this is normal or not, or if I should just run more often so my muscles can catch up with my aerobic ability? I'm not very fast either).

Buy healthy intelligent training to learn how Peter snell did it :D

Glute bridges, leg raises, and side leg raises. Do maybe 10 of each before you run just to get them warmed up. Do each for 30 seconds to a minute every day and it should definitely help with your back. I've had the same issue.

What type of carbs do you eatfor long distance?
How to deal with hypoglycemia in your daily life when not training?

What do you guys do for joint health....besides stretching? What supplements?

whats an ok time for a 5k?

>ok time for a 5k?
Depends on your age, gender, weight, and years training.

>How to train for 800?
Build an aerobic base, then essentially train via "Clyde Hart" method for 400 runners.

If you want to run a fast 800, you need to maximize your speed potential.

what are some good stretches to do before running

I want to be in the middle so I do both.

Pasta and fruits, for me.

Right now I'm living off sprite bananas, rice and as much other fruit and vegetables I can eat, it sounds inherently wrong but you wanna pile in the sugar, it helps recovery and it gives you insane levels of energy to push yourself to that next level

You wanna be around 15 minutes as a male, that's the level were you know you made it, anything under 20m is ok and is easily achievable by pretty much anyone

Why do I get a cramp in my right butt cheek when I run

Because of all of the pounding you put it through faggot

FUCK you

Do you guys really shit in the middle of a run? That's crazy.

Does anyone have a good rowing routine? I was told runners do this when they are coming back from an injury so I thought someone might know.

I only started running today and have applied for a 10k which takes place in a month. Could I achieve sub 40 minutes if I train everyday until the race?

No. You'll probably get injured though.

rip your knees and ankles

You cant get to 15 unless you are a skeleton
20 or less should be your goal if you are an actual person

Anybody have experience with minimal shoes meant to replicate barefoot running? I want to find a nice sweet spot between bare foot and not cutting my feet open on glass and rocks.

>sunday
>improve 5k time by 1min 25->24
>Tuesday
>Can barely make 24minutes
I think i should even out my progress more, im afraid im going to hit progress wall and cant reach 20m 5k

Also i noticed i did first part too fast then i slacked a bit at 3rd kilometer and that killed my attempt.

>Tfw exhausted as fuci after run and some girls wave to me and say hello from across the street
>Tfw super hot girl in shorts slowly rides bicycle next to me when i was walking back home

When the robot inside me will die out?

I want to get serious about running so I'm considering getting a GPS watch. At the moment I have to work out the length of my run on google maps, get a rough idea of the time based on the length of the podcast I listened to and calculate my speed from there, which is a complete ballache.

Any recommendations? I just want something that can give me a reliable distance/speed reading without having to cart my phone around too. Anything that does swimming and cycling too is a bonus but not essential.

you can always run away from them

How do I avoid pic related?

Wow yikes 15mins is 3mins/km that's pretty fast for 5k buddy. Sub 18min is ADVANCED, if you wanna be ELITE at sub 15 etc. you gotta be pretty thin.

>be running outside in rain
>huge female land whale yells at me "what kind of idiot runs in weather like this!"
>"well if I didn't i'd end up as fat as you"
>I didn't actually say that
>y-you too

Aim for 60 minutes.
I started running a month ago and just hit my first sub 60 minute 10k of the year. I had ran 40-50 minute 10ks before but those were like two years back before I stopped running, and it took me a good few months to reach that level.

I have this lump around the medial part of my shin. Kinda flat and hard. Doesn't hurt to touch and hasn't affected my running.

What running apps can you guys reccommend?

why do I always need to fart when I run? Is it because of the fiber and probiotics meme?

Garmin forerunner 220

Pace control

Pic related
Super simple
Works super fast
And tells you split times etc with easy configuration

Be born with a peeny and avoid orange dye

I used to run quite a lot 6 months ago but had to stop because of an injury. Now i'm unable to find my running shoes so I have to buy new ones. however in the meantime im looking for something to replace running, would rope jumping be a good idea even though im not in top shape ? (190cm / 93kg which is 6'3 200 or something )

Can't go wrong with Garmin. Love my FR230, but they've got a huge selection.

Sup /running/.

I'm doing C25K. A couple of weeks back I posted a literal blogpost, end quote, where I thanked you guys for the advice and inspiration. One of you asked me to keep reporting, so I have an update, and it's not a good one.

I failed my goal today. I'm on the second day of week 7, and every day up to now went well even if I had to slow down my tempo for the full 25 minute runs; I could even push myself for a few more minutes some of the days. But after 15 minutes today I took a 1 minute break, and 5 minutes after that I took another 1,5 minute break, so I ran 15-1-5-1,5-5,5, for a total of 25,5 minutes of running.

It was a combination of factors that caused me to fail (I went a bit harder than usual the first three minutes thinking I could get away with it because my jogs have been at minimum jogging speed so far, and it's really warm outside) but the fault mostly lies with me of course. I was only superficially exhausted if that makes sense, I've had a lot worse, but I just couldnt put my mind to it anymore. Even finishing that last 5,5 mins without taking a break took an obscene amount of willpower on my part.

Bringing me to my question: if you guys are ever or have ever been about to give up (while on a run, I don't mean giving up a healthy lifestyle because I simply refuse to give up on that), what did you do to keep going?

I just had my day 1 of week 1

I wanted to die but I went through with it

I have this every run
Sudden side pains, ribs about to explode or shit

I just try to think about something else and redirect my full attention to something else

Deeper breath, that one hot ass girl at work, longer stride, faster/heavier song in music player

Usually helps
Remember, you can do 120% of what your body tells you

With lifting I have to eat a lot to make strength gains, is that the same for running? What if I'm cutting but I still want running gains? Possible?

Stop talking shit.

Eat the proteins
Calories in and out

For running dropping your weight helps, for speed you need actualgains and muscle composition

Im not scientist tho

15min 5k is pro runner tier
13mins is what won olympic gold for fuck sake
The average 5k time is about 25 mins, your goal as a fit 20 or 30 something male should be 20 minutes. Any thing under 20 is well beyond what most people will ever achieve end of

There's always Olympic tier anons posting here at the running threads. You'll get used to it.

No. Aim for 50min.

does doing speed-focused running session make leg gains then?

Why can skellies run longer?

Strava

Less mass = less strain on the heart and less strength needed to move the body too and fro.

Good job user, keep it up. The first step is the most important, now keep moving.

Thanks for the advice. I think one of my issues is that I sort of try to redirect attention but not fully. I'll make sure to really focus on that next run.

magic buffs

Just use strava or mapmyrun

Less mass for your heart and lungs to power

>what did you do to keep going
I change my music to a basshunter song from 2008.

Can I be a runner with a good stamina and not end up being a skeleton?

Thanks all. Wasnt really sure what a realistic goal was. I'll try and do 50-60. Is it best running every other day then or can I get away with everyday if I go light on some days?

I can run at about 4.5-5 mph for about 40 minutes before my legs just tired out. I haven't really pushed myself too often thought.
Is this good or decent?

Yes
Short sprints

Yes, shoot for 7 min miles sustained
Faster than that you need to start going skelly mode

>7 min miles sustained
Wait, how many miles is that at what speed?

Yeah 230 is good quality, Garmin Connect is pretty handy as well

I have quiet a lot of pain in pic related, it's also a little swollen. I ran 13km at pretty slow pace for the first time. My previous longest was 6.5km. I guess i overdid it, but felt no pain during the run.
I have a 10km race in four weeks, how long from your experience does it take to recover? What can i do exept cooling?

You just have to rest, no two ways about it.
Don't do any running, if you need to, do bike instead. Should be gone within 3-5 days if properly rested.

If you're increasing by double the distance, this is to be expected

He said OK not amazing

Shouldn't do every day, really. If you're just starting your knees will die within a week.
Aim for 4x long runs for ~1hr per week for the first two weeks, then see.

A mile every 7 minutes

>improved half marathon time by 10 minutes
>still missed goal by a couple of minutes
>starting to think marathon goal time might need to be adjusted
>adjusting goal is meaningless because I'll strive for the original anyways
>marathon is in a month
>tfw I might (possibly) make it

Anyone have good sprinting drills for sports, also dynamic stretches?

Is the elliptical a meme? I tried it and the machine said I was burning calories like crazy and it was easy af. Been running so much, joints need a break and biking is gay. Cutting now and Dont want to stop heart gains.

8 minute mile pace is decent. Try to push that distance once a week though, it'll help your legs.

Bump, anyone? Debating whether to take a rest day or active recover on elliptical

Lads the heat is absolutly raping my run times
I was getting below 25min 5k now I struggle at like 30
Making me depressed

The elliptical doesn't burn as many calories as running, so don't even pay attention to that. But using it as an active recovery day sounds good to me.

First time i jogged in my freetime /run/. It went pretty well. Started C25K. Any advice for a beginner?

Take it slow (slower than you think you need to). Dynamic stretching before the run, static stretching after (do both). Run at an easy pace where you could converse with someone else.

my shoulder is fucked so I cant lift or run. guess my only option is to bike because that doesnt involve much shoulder movement. also i don't have insurance so havent been to doctor lellelelelelelelllllllll

I'm about 5'11 and 160lbs I run a 16 minute 5k

Get off your ass and run, 5k is fuck all distance, literally anyone can run it sub 20 if you just do a bit of training

Train through it homie, when the cool weather comes back you'll be an even stronger runner with the added benefits of training in heat, I'm training in colombia right now, when I return to the UK I'm gonna smash it

I'm at the final week of B210K and now I'm wondering what to do next. While running a half marathon is interesting, university is starting soon and I'll probably not be able to put aside the time required for a half marathon.

Are there programs designed for improving 5k or 10k running times? Or simply a program designed for sprint training?

Looking at the Polar M400, it's costs 2/3rds as much as the Garmin and seems like a solid watch. Anyone had any experience with them?

Looks like it has a lot of features, especially at that price point, and has generally positive reviews. I'd say go for it. I just have never had a bad experience with a Garmin.

I have the M400 and it does work really well. Accurate GPS and lots of features.

>every thread on /fit
>people rating their lifts and they are all field dreams for me
>visit /run/
>every-one says to take it easy and very easy times are the norm.
Feels good man.

List your best lads:

>1mile
5:53
>1.5 mile
9:53
>2mile
12:52
>5k
21:08
>5mile
35:37
>10k
48:17
>20k
lol
>HM
>implying
>M
>one day maybe

Fuck are you talking about

/run/ is full of people claiming to run 5k in 10 minutes

Will couch to 5k help my 1.5 mile run time

If Instead of 'running comfortably' I run at say a 6:30 mile pace during the running parts?

The fuck are you taking about. There are different settings. At the hardest it's almost as mountain hiking irl. This fucking place and people like you damn it.

>during the running parts?
You get gooder at 1.5 by running 1.5.
You do 1.5, rest, 60/120s on Friday.
You run a 5k Monday.
Don't mix your long and shorts.

60/120's?