/Essentials/ Supplements edition

What sups do you actually need/ are proven to work?
Been reading up on Citrulline supplementation and considering buying a bag of C.malate.
Tried ocinum sanctum straight off the shrub did seem to work, but i'm convinced it's placebo.
Have creatine lying around will give it a shot during winter bulk.

About all supplements are placebo. Dont feed the scam that is the supplement industry.

Just sleep well, eat healthy and exercise. Everything in your body should be working near optimal levels if you dont have underlying health conditions.

I don't use whey that often anymore, I'm a pharmacologist so my understanding of underlying biological mechanism and drug receptor interaction lets me sift through a lot of bullshit, I agree with you people fall for pre workouts, intra workout BCAAs and the like.

creatine, l glutamine, fish oils, multivitamin

That's wrong, a lot are backed by science.

But yeah a big chunk are bollocks.

Like micronized crystallised ice-froze triple-cut platinum whey

if you're thinking about supplementing with citrulline, just add watermelon to your diet.

>That's wrong, a lot are backed by science.

List them, please.

Zinc helps with testosterone.

Tribulus Terestris will also help with testosterone.

Maca root will make you more easily arroused.

Pygeum root will significantly increase your precum.

L Theanine will make you calmer. It's also supposedly good for hangover recovery, but I don't have any experience with that.

Vitamin D if you don't get enough sun where you live - helps build stronger bones, small test increase, helps fight depression

Fish oil capsules if you don't eat a lot of fish - for joint and heart health.

That's what I take anyway. Nothing fancy, but it's cheap and backed by science unlike 99% of the other supplements out there.

Not that guy, some friends in nutrition, that have to keep up with the latest research and shit, believe only in supplementing
>vit.D
>calcium
>folic acid if pregnant
everything else either isn't as well researched, doesn't show big enough effects to be worth it, is good only in specific cases, or you can get enough of it with a varied diet.

This is pretty much the gold standard, creatine is the only thing to be proven in numerous studies to help gain lean mass among other things since it's THE MOST researched supplement out there. Others like BCAA are bogus, a lot people get bcaas from meat, dairy including whey protein and eggs, there's no need to supplement. As for ZMA, Zinc etc it's also b.s. The only massive test spike i've seen was from a Holy Basil study, it contains a large concentration of Ursolic acid, which looks very steroid like in it's molecular composition and has also shown anabolic effects in rats. Not many studies have been done though, one study implicated negative effects on spermatogenisis which led to the test boost conclusion.

So is pre workout a placebo or just useless? It's the only supplement other than whey I've ever considered

and none of those are """supplements""".

must suck to be retarded.

>Creatine side effects:
>Bipolar disorder: There have been cases of manic episodes in people with bipolar disorder who took creatine daily for 4 weeks. Creatine might make mania worse in people with bipolar disorder.

Definitely not a good supplement for most Veeky Forumsizens.

Magnesium. Especially if you drink alcohol to excess and take stimulants. So basically every college aged male.

they can be supplemented. playing on semantics doesn't make you smart, retard.

I wouldn't say Useless just overkill, it's main ingredients are going to be
am Ephedrine replacement, in most cases it's synephrine or derivative thereof, this is to curb the ban on ephedrine/amphetamine/phenethylamine products and precursors thanks to the FDA
Creatine
Caffeine
other bullshit extracts mostly from black pepper, piperine, piperonal or deer antlers or platapus penis, strange plants from india etc
All you need before a workout is caffeine, that's it, if you want to go deep then chug a redbull which is just caffeine, sugar and b vitamins, basically a nice cold pre workout.

There's an interview with Frank Zane, I think by Artemus Dolgin where he talks about preworkouts in the 70's and 80's, most people just drank coffee before an intense workout.
Black beauty diet pills were common around then and they where amphetamine caps, mostly marketed towards women.

Thanks a lot man, I plan to start lifting and even though I'm a big guy I have a weak upper body. So thanks again for the info

Lift weights, put them down again, eat food/protein, sleep. repeat. Get them gains.

Well I have long skinny arms despite being a 6'5 fat guy...shit's weird out here user but I will definitely give it my all

Fat distribution in men mostly accumulates around the lower ab areas, chest and lower back. Don't worry about what you look like now, envision your future.
As for sups, stick to the whey

Also have thunder thighs but I didn't mention that because I have a strong lower body. But again thanks for all the tips and motivation

wasnt it shown in at leadt one study that whey actually SLIGHTLY helps with gains?

also its cheap proteins

Whey is fine, I just switch it up every now and then, nothing wrong at all with using whey.

No ones going to mention poo in loo

Whey protein, creatine, fish oil, and a multivitamin and you're good. Caffeine if you want a bit of an extra burn. But those are all I use.

I am bipolar and this is bullshit. Been taking creatine for 3 months straight.

It's only in isolated circumstances, nothing to worry about, a lot of the adverse effects affect like 3-5percent of the user population, and even less who are bi polar

Glucosamine helped me a fuckload with joint pain in my wrists.

I'm a postman and carry big bundles of mail all day, and the wrist position was causing me pain constantly. It went away within 2 weeks of taking glucosamine.

I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but I'm happy to keep taking it, its cheap.

Creatine and whey are all else I use.
Trying to get to grips with beta alanine but it makes me feel like I'm covered in bugs.

no supps are essential

I would only take vit D and vit B12 because these cant be covered with a good diet

Vitamin D always interested me, there was a thread a while back of people taking Vit D in large doses touting test increases, better gains, more energy and less depression, I might supplement it in the winter months since i'm sorta tan in complexion and live in a country where the winters have low light

mate vit d is essential it has many many benefits, plus most people are deficient in this even people living in warm places

sup b12 too if you can because even this can be deficient in meat eaters

one study means jackshit though