What set is best

well the guy at the gym who gave me like a starter program 4months ago told me to do 3x16
but now i'm seeing allot of u saying that 5x5 is better can someone explain?

Other urls found in this thread:

strengtheory.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_hypertrophy#Myofibrillar_vs._sarcoplasmic_hypertrophy
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>3x16

actually burst into laughter when i saw this

no but he seriously told me 3 sets of 16
and the fucking guy works at the gym

>3x16
That's the weirdest rep/set scheme I've ever seen.

and im doing this shit already for 4 moths haha can someone hook me up whit a good scheme
do yu guys maybe know a good site ore somthing

Yeah 3x16 is weird, but any rep range will likely get results as long as you add weight over time. 5x5 allows for a decent amount of volume without taking forever. 3x12 is also pretty standard.

My preference is one day at 3-5x3-5 and one day at 4-5x8-10.
Find rep ranges you like amd add weight over time.

depends on weight you are lifting and your 1RM. generally when you are working for strength you want to working with weights at abour 80-85% of your 1RM. at that range 3x5 is plenty to force adaptations

look up prilepin table and learn it

Really makes you think.

chart made by some broscientist who has no idea how strength is built

Greg Nuckols?
strengtheory.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/

Arnold did sets of up to 20 reps
High rep ranges have their place in weightlifting, just not for strength.

sets of 3-5 are for strength. Do low rep, high weight if you want to get strong the most effectively. I typically do all compound lifts at 5 reps.

Sets of 8+ are for hypertrophy. Do lower (but still challenging) weight and higher reps if you want to get big. I typically do all accessories in the 8-12 range.

>Greg Nuckols
>broscientist
>no idea how strength is built

My designated lifting buddy is always about doing 3x12, what did he mean by this?

>he isn't a faggot
>he wants to get big

so what would be the best for just gaining weight 5x5 ore the 3x12

Interesting. I thought more reps would mean more cartilage wear and tear.

OR natty lifters especially beginners you fucking inbred

Fucking hilarious kek

As many hard sets as you can recover from.

Good or meme?

Meme answer: 1-5 reps per set for strength. 6-7 does nothing. 8-12 makes you bigger. 13+ is cardio so you get weaker instead of stronger

Real answer: always do between 5 and 10 reps for compound exercises like chest press, squats, dead lift, rows, pullups, etc. Do 12-20 for isolation exercises like curls, lat raises, shrugs, or anything for your calves, abs, or lower back.

Never do less then 10 reps per set to failure for isolation exercise, especially a pulling exercise, or you'll end up getting hurt. Never do more than 20 on any exercise because you actually aren't doing anything at that point. Do compound lift sets of at least 5 unless you have a spotter

>Real answer: always do between 5 and 10 reps for compound exercises like chest press, squats, dead lift, rows, pullups, etc. Do 12-20 for isolation exercises like curls, lat raises, shrugs, or anything for your calves, abs, or lower back.

Never do 11 reps, got it.

4 working sets to failure. On last set of each exercise, do a drop set.

Repping until failure will recruit both fast and slow twitch muscle fibers.

11 pullups is fine but if you're doing 11 squats and you're not warming up you need to add weight.

Both. It's just Reg Park's 5x5 with a GSLP rep scheme for bench and more aesthetic (and shoulder) friendly incline bench.

More reps = less weight
More movement = more blood flow.

Tendons and cartilage are notoriously underfed, so more blood flow, more chance of them actually getting enough nutrients to regenerate completly.

5×5, 3×5 and 3×8-12 are all good
3×16 is garbage
I like to do 3×5 followed up by 2×8 with less weight to get additional volume in.

Eating more is best for gaining weight.

so if i would press 220lbs 3x5 how much sould i press on the 2x8?

Arnold was geared to the gills from the time he was a teenager. He also had a penchant for lying about his routine in order to sabotage rivals

any idea on where i can find a good food
scheme? cause i'm a terrible eater and i just need some schedule whit like 5 meals a day

Probably something like 175 or 185. Its hard to tell because you're already a bit exhausted after 3×8.

>3×8
Meant 3×5

yea i thought you meant 3x5 and thanks for the help
i think i'm gone step away from the 3x16 now that i know what bullshit it actually is

eggs, oats, milk, beans, chicken, turkey, fish, rice, potato, leafy greens, tomato, oranges, banana, sunflower seeds, nuts. try to drink only water.

forgot to add dairy like cottage cheese, cheese and nonsweetened yogurt. avoid sugar and processed foods and you're set.

someone once told me that a banana in the morning is good but in the evening it was bad does this make any sense? and the guy was a beast so i thought he prolly knows what he ios talking about

Bananas, like most fruits, are mostly sugar. It's okay to eat foods that are a little sweeter than usual in the morning, because we want to trigger an insulin spike so that our body stops burning muscle for food. However, this can be a bad thing before bed as the increase in blood sugar will cause you to pack on extra fat that has no chance of being burned off during sleep.

>which set is the best

The second one. ¨

First you're still cold. The remaining you're too fatigued. Second set best set

The basic bitch rep intensity formula is 1/(REPS/30+1)*100.
So: 16reps/30+1 = 1/1,53 = 0,65*100 = 65% T1RM.

To get decent hypertrophy, intensity should generally be between 65%-75%.
Never go below 60% or even 65% - it doesn't sufficiently stress the muscle (unless you want to induce adaptations conductive to muscle endurance,) 16 reps is dangerously close to that limit.
The upper limit is because you want to get in enough volume without accumulating too much CNS fatigue.
Since you're doing multiple sets you want to decrease load a bit, in the end: 8-12 is the ideal hypertrophy range.
Which is what every chart and lifter will tell you anyways.
Number of sets depends on how much volume you need to get maximal stimulation.

The reason noobs are told to go for 3X5 instead is so they can quickly build enough strength to put up decent volume (weightxreps.) Plus you strengthen your tendons, ligaments and other shit more this way - so you're less likely to get injured later on. Also it's easier to drill proper form with low reps, that seems counter-intuitive but most noobs stop paying attention to form after a couple reps. And who doesn't want those easy CNS gains early on.

Almonds before bed?

Only if they're activated, otherwise there's no point.

Yeah, even I know that

May be one of those shit instructors that believes tiring clients will shut them up about the effectiveness of their shit workout. On 5x5 sets and reps: it is a "nice" range for both strength and muscle gains, if you want to stay at that gray area for a long time you could literally do it forever, although many will recommend to not do so.

WAIT
for girls isn't HIGH REP moderate weight better? But i was watching buffbunny and she did 5x5

what's better for girls

FAAAV BAAA FAAAV!

What is your opinion on 3x5?

It's 5x5 but without counting the warm-up.

gender doesn't matter for reps

5 heavy reps is best if you want to build strength

>5 heavy reps is best if you want to build strength
Not universally, 5 reps is a decent starting point for most people. But later on maxing out, triples and doubles have their place in training for strenght.

5x5 is a meme. Everyone has a different set count. Mehdi does 5x5 across. Park and Rippetoe do 3x5 across with two warmups. Bill Starr did 4 ramping sets with 1x5 work set. Hepburn did 5x3 progressive sets that ended in 5x5 after a few weeks and reset with a higher weight.

Lol notoriously underfed whose ass did you pull that line from?

Nice pic m8, glad to see my Polish fluency is good for something

False. Women need to do more reps than men for strength gains. Can't find the research atm but it's true.

so 3 reps for strength an 5-8 reps confirmed for best ranges to become huge and strong?

3-5 on intensity days
8-16 on volume days
ta daaa
now you're swole

I'm not counting up all the "whatever you stick with", but I'll give you an example.

Started with SS, moved to TM, then through a few different things over time. I've done programs that devoted a day to each lift, deadlifted submaximiumally daily for 5 months, periodization schemes, etc. Each worked for some facet. My problem was always injury.

I tweak this or that at work all the time. Now I've tried different combos of short rest, moderate total reps and low rep sets for a while. I've just passed 6 months without a single missed training day.

What got me there was Hepburn. One month, each lift 2x /week, same weight the whole month. First week of the month feels like flying, second feels OK, third is hell, and then the last is like nothing else. Add in some pullups and light accessory work for sticking points afterwards, and eat like you're stealing from a fat kid.

Which Hepburn variation were you using?

Power/pump

cut the squat % a hair since I tend to get more problems from sitting in my squat vs DL. press is easiest for me, so I cut the rest to 60-90s depending on how I feel that day and go for a fast & powerful start.

It sucks starting out, but it's the easiest thing to wrap my head around after a 9-14 hour workday.

Do you see anything wrong with reloading on 5x5 twice then switching to 3x5?

3x8 => 5x5 => 5x3 => 4x8 => 6x5 => 6x3

My trainer makes me do 3-5 sets depending on the lift and 8-12 reps

Same

do 3 sets for 5 reps. if you want more volume then do a fourth set with 8 reps and less weight.

Assistance/isolation is done in the 8-15 rep range with 2-3 sets.

sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is the one that makes you look swole and that generally starts to occur from around 12 reps onwards.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_hypertrophy#Myofibrillar_vs._sarcoplasmic_hypertrophy

just do normal strength training in 3-5x5 range and then throw in 2x12-15 afterwards and you're getting best of both worlds.

so what people think is still right in terms of the greatest effect of rep ranges for a specific goal. just not that extreme. for example according to this chart one would still recommend 6-8 reps for strength and size.

>3x16

most novices overthink this shit when they should be getting their ass to the gym and actually focusing on progressing, that's all the matters at the end of the day, you can throw in some high volume fluff and pump shit at the end of your workout but you should be focusing on getting your compounds to 1/2/3/4 and stop complaining about how your chest is so small when you're only benching 40kg for 3x12 and doing drop sets or whatever the fuck these dyel MUH AESTHETICS SICK CUNT U MIRIN BRAH faggots are doing these days.

6-8 reps is a pretty decent sweetspot for strength + size on almost any exercise.

that's because you will also gain size with strength just not to such extent as you would doing hypertrophy. people here think that you get twice as big on hypertrophy routine compared to strength one when in reality the difference is not that big.

You mean "deloading" twice? No. That was actually the original progression in StrongLifts 5x5. Once you deload on a lift twice you switch to 3x5. Then when you deload twice on that, switch to 1x5. Once all your lifts are 1x5 it's time to switch to an intermediate program.

Rippetoe recommends decreasing jumps in the loading until you're down to progressing at 1 pound per week. Then switch over to Texas Method.

10 sets of 3 no warm up let's do this lets go FUCKING RAW

Alright yeah because I'm stalling already on squat at 5x5 and plan to deload if I miss another rep today. Then if I have to deload again switching to 3x5.

I lift to supplement my distance running. I do 3x10 or 4x8 in pre-season to try to regain lost mass from the previous season. Then I transition to 3x5 or 4x3 as close to max as possible to gain strength. Mid season I get to doing 3x10 or 4x8 again, but with less weight and focusing on moving explosively to improve power, then during my taper I stop lifting completely and do plyometrics, hill sprints, and more running specific stuff.

That's how it's done.

Should I switch from Candito's LP to this? This seems a bit easier and more fun.

I've been lifting inconsistently for the past year so I might have like 3-5 months of actual time in the gym.

None of them, all them, switch it up boy-o.

>Can't find the research atm
try checking with the Institute of Momscience

Sure. It's literally nothing special. Just some old school aesthetic bodybuilder type exercises on a 5x5 platform with the one change of GSLP rep scheme for bench. It shouldn't feel like work or a grind in the gym. Try whatever you like that will get you in the door if you don't have a specific goal of competing.