Fat friends

How do you motivate fat and lazy friends to come lift with you?

my friends seem content with spending their whole day playing league of legends and overwatch while stuffing their faces with snacks and getting more obese.

it feels wrong to just sit by and let them destroy their bodies

Let them motivate themselves, they are over 18 right? Sure you can shove facts down their throats, but I think the best way is if they truly want to change.

You do what you do. They can follow. Or not.

Lead by example and make occasional open offers. You can't force motivation, but you can possibly inspire a change, or help someone who wants to change and needs a hand.

Avoid being negative and/or persistent. It just puts people on the defensive. They know the health facts already. They are very aware of their habits and bodies.

>How do you motivate
You don't.

They have to want to change. No one else can make them.

I told my friend I need a spot and it's the only time I have lately to hang out.

He's been coming consistently with me now for a few months. He said he didn't want to lose weight (because he didn't want to change based on what other people thought of him) but has so far changed his diet and seems pretty happy with a lot of the progress he's been making.

Maybe try what I did. Tell your friend you really want to hang out and that he should come to the gym with you or something.

i don't stay friends with fat/lazy people. especially the ones that complain about being fat/lazy.

i just can't respect them.

Why do you care?

>man i gotta lose weight
>i can help you. Come to my gym
>never shows

If fat people really wanted to be slim they would be.

My friend could probably manage to lose weight but he's got a lot more problems than just being fat. He's a fucking slob and I legitimately hate going over to his place. Dishes overflowing in the sink, garbage stinks, cat litter all over the ground, fridge is fucking disgusting, and there are stains all over the carpet.

He's the reason our movie group split up when I moved states; no one wanted to go to his place anymore.

it's none of your fucking business. it won't fill your life with purpose. it won't distract you from whatever problem inside yourself you're avoiding by thinking about this. no one asked you for help. take care of your own body, and if someone asks you for help then help them.

fucking kids man

why are you so butthurt

My friend said he wanted to come to the gym with me so he could get strong.

For 5 days, I've said I'm going, you should come, and he's come out with excuses.

He was literally the one that initiated it, yet still weasels around going to the fucking gym. It's perplexing.

In short: you can't.

Sometimes I just type like I'm yelling at someone.
Fuck you if you got something to say.

Just tell them to
TRAIN UNTAMMMMEEEDDDDDGDHSSTSHAHADA

I'm the same. I want to be around people who inspire, not impair.

>How do you motivate fat and lazy friends to come lift with you?
You don't, if they look bad you look better by comparison.

This. If they see you having a great life doing what you do and don't follow, then that's on them. But you have to have a great life or it doesn't work. Does your life suck, OP? Would people describe you as a joy to be around?

This.
Time to move on. Get new friends.
Visit them as a reminder to keep moving forward. If they do not stimulate you or motivate you to become a better person, leave them.

Tell them it feels good. After a catastrophic professional failure, I started going to the gym with my friends who've been working out for years. My last experience before that was a 1 month stint at planet fitness where I mostly talked. After my second day, I was driving back home and felt fucking alive and pumped, like almost a high. Been at it for 3 months now and have gotten so much stronger and lost ~20lbs. Just tell em about the rush famalam.

Where do you live op I'll be your gym buddy

Brisbane Australia here

Fatties need to hit their lowest point to want to change, you can't try to motivate them to lose the weight.
My lowest point was me weighing 130kg and looking like absolute shit.
I was eating and drinking away my sorrow after dropping out of university and my 2nd dad-tier granddad dying.
I reached a point where I hated being fat, which is what motivated me to start.
Started university again last year and down 15kg since July now, over halfway there brehs.

tl;dr: there's no point in trying to motivate someone, when someone wants to change, they will.

>t. fatty

>friend is fitness buddy
>3 years back we went to the gym 4x/week
>we wuz getting stronk
>moved away for a while
>moved back
>he's still subscribed to the same gym
>doesn't go anymore though
>tell him to come work out with me again
>he does for a while
>after a while he starts coming up with excuses
>they start piling up
>I stop asking
Why did it end up like this?

Kid trait

People say they want to change for the dopamine kick. Saying you want to change and genuinely believing you want to change feels good. Then when it comes time to put work in it no longer feels good!

My entire family is obese, I love them and wish I could help them but they along with all obese people have no real control over themselves or their actions. They're weak willed

I was real glad when my fat friend starting hitting the gym. Ofcourse he wanted to use machines first and get in better shape before the real workout started.

The real workout never started. The fucker kept doing retarded brosplits and then just "whatever he feels like doing that day", which left him with ZERO gains.
Lifting is fucking hard, I'm in the best shape of my life and yet there are days I dread going to the gym. But I still fucking do.

This tbqh
I would make an exception if they're friends I've known my entire life and are really good.
If you really want to motivate them, find out what they want but can't have or what they want to do but cannot. Learn how to do it and get good at it. Then blame your results on getting Veeky Forums. If they want to meet more women, get really good at talking to and picking up women. If they want to be better at cooking then learn how to cook amazing food. Say that because you're very health conscious youve become really good at creating healthy food that doesn't taste like a sweaty dick.

This world is not for the weak

I used to be that fat friend you're talking about. At 183 cm and 97 kilos with little to no muscle I was in atrocious shape, content spending my days playing dota and stuffing my face with anything sugary.

The turning point for me was when one of my friends offered to take me to the gym and explain how to use the different machines. It became a way to socialize and I'm now down to 75 kilos.

Depends, is it motivated by pure laziness?
If so, if you put enough effort into convincing them, in conjunction with them having an epiphany, they will eventually overcome it.
If it's motivated by a life philosophy that considers everything to be absurd?
Don't.
You go enjoy your shit, and I'll enjoy my shit.

People complain about being overweight?
If they care about it that much, why aren't they doing anything about it?

This, sort of.

You don't its up to them. If they don't want to expend more than the bare minimum of effort and time then just don't gym with them

It's impossible
Storytime:
>lanklet buddy says he wants to get big
>"alright you can work out a month for free in my gym"
>fix a date for saturday afternoon
>saturday morning
>"yeah nah mate, I can't come I have horrible diarrhea"
>well alright
>never talk to him about it
>he approaches me again and says he wants to work out next week
>alright same date
>saturday morning
>"yeah nah mate, my life is just kinda hard right now, I don't think I'll be able to lift at this moment"
>try to explain to him that physical activity might help with his mental state and stress, but I don't really care either way so I let it slide
>talks me up again about working out
>get a little irritated and explain to him that if he doesn't want to commit he can literally just do 1 set of pullups and 1 set of pushups to failure every day. That literally takes like 5 minutes max
>he's pretty set on the idea and says he'll get a pullup bar
>doesn't do it for a whole month
>at one point have nothing to discuss and ask him if he got it
>"nah m8 didn't find the time"
>alright thats a shame
>he tells me he'll do it tonight
>lets see
>next day said he actually bought it
>"alright, so did you try doing any pullups?"
>"haha m8, I said I'd buy the bar not exercise, fucking got ya"
>haha great joke
He's pretty chill to hang out with but goddamn he's a lazy whiny faggot

>People complain about being overweight?
>If they care about it that much, why aren't they doing anything about it?
They find it's too much effort.

It was pretty easy for me.
"Hey man, wanna go to the gym together?"
"Sure, sounds good"

Turns out he has god-tier genetics and his progress is literally twice as fast as mine. Fucker.

Just reading your post made me angry. WHY IS HE SO SET ON NOT MAKING RESULTS?

Take an unflattering picture of them every time you see them and send it to them

let me ask you this OP
>say you do waste months trying to motivate and dragging some chunky monkeys to the gym who >never show effort and motivation
>but on facebook they all brag about going to the gym
>in secret they annihilate buckets of calories
>months later there is no progress, and they tell you that diets dont work and they fully quit while constantly shit talking about you behind your back
how do you feel?

Two friends started going to the gym, maybe by my influence but I don't think you can really convince people to. I started going to the gym and one signed up with me and another signed up after we did. All you can do is plant the seed and show your friends it's possible, even for out of shape guys like ourselves.

My bud used it as like a bonding/hanging out mechanism and it was pretty cool.

>coming from fatass in recovery

>fat
>friend
They aren't friends.

I feel like a few people here see lazy people when they should see nervous ones.

Social anxiety is pretty common, its also hard to notice among friends.

They're like autistic people. They don't like change and worry themselves to death thinking about it.

The best way to help them is graduated exposure. Start them on something simple multiple times a week. The first week or even month will be hard for them.

Remember tho. They need to go at least 3 times a week. It needs to be common.

Convincing them to come one day a week will just end in disaster. They go to gym on their one day then spend the next 6 days worrying and beating themselves up.

A persom with anxiety needs ya to hold their hand. Its painful and takes ages but once they've got a routine going they make excellent buds.

Sorry for any typos. On phone.

Just want people to understand not everyone is lazy. Some are legitimately frightened of change.

>tfw no friend to show me how to do exercises

>They find it's too much effort.
Then why are they complaining?
If they know it's too much effort for them, why bother being conscientious about it?

rood

He's afraid you're going to abandon him and your mutual gains again, user.

This is probably accurate in most cases. People who feel like they should get in shape obviously aren't happy with their body, and are probably embarrassed by it. Most of the problems people have that restrain their potential are mental, so you're gonna have to play psychiatrist.