5x5

Is 5x5 a meme?

I 5x5 my bench, squat, deadlift, and ohp.

Other urls found in this thread:

strengtheory.com/the-new-approach-to-training-volume/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally–Anne_test
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

if you're making progress, keep making progress.

>is 5x5 a meme

No.

However, it and 3x5 are also not the only rep schemes. There's merits in all different kinds of rep schemes.

5x5 is great, wouldn't 5x5 deadlifts tho

Good point!

I'm aware, I only do 5x5 for those exercises, I do different rep schemes for all my other exercises.

Why wouldn't you?

A lot of people find their ability to do high-effort deadlift sets goes to crap very quickly after the first one or two, plus its a fairly hard movement to recover from if you're pushing it.

Not that this means you can't do higher volume on deadlifts, but it does sometimes require a bit of tweaking compared to other lifts.

yes if you do 5x5 you will look like a fat powerlifter but if you do 3x10 you will look like jeff seid

i-is this true?

The idea that it's the only way to progress and that everyone should do it no matter what is the meme.

And it's a slightly dangerous one.

Filthy Casual.

weeb pls

It's good for beginners but eventually becomes just too much volume to progress every week

this unironically what most of Veeky Forums posters actually believe

Yfw you realize you need MORE volume to progress the more advanced you are

More volume yes, but at lower weight where you can manage the volume. You're not doing 5x5 working sets at the same weight once it gets heavy.

TM is a good example of what you'd change to after doing 5x5 or 3x5. Instead of 5x5 you're working up to a single heavy set on heavy days, while doing higher volume at lower weight on volume days.

I do 5x5 because it was the first routine I came across that gave me structure and targets. Before that I just wondered aimlessly between random equipment

Whatever you do, don't stop at 7 reps, go to 8

>don't stop at 7 reps

i-i always do 3x7 on my squats......

This is true.
You know Dick Pianist's 5% rule? He really means 5 more reps.
That extra 5 reps and 4 scoops is the difference between fridgemode and Jeff Seid.

7 is the shadow realm. No gains

Go with 4x5.

>not stopping at 5
>not going to 8
>staying in the gains void

Enjoy your black hole of gains

>5x5
>only doing 4 of the exercises
shouldnt it be 4x5 then?

i do 3x6, one of the biggest firefighters i know does 3x5 3x6 and 3x7 sets

>3x7

The void set

>not benching 3 x 8 - 12

fuck off cuck

oh no..

well, yes, and no

no need to do 5x5 as a beginner when 3x5 is enough

you'll probably burn out doing say squat 3 times/week at 5x5, it becomes very hard, very fast, like my dick

doing 3x5 will allow you to recover better, and still make the same progress

once you're intermediate you can program in 5x5 for volume one or two times per week

Jesus, I hope this is shit tier trolling, else it is all sorts of stupid....

fake and gay

Volume>weight get at me faggots

?????????????

i want to see you squat 5x5 3 times a week above 3pl8's, when it's around 80-85% of your 1RM. tell me how long you'd last

dno why SL is so popular, it's made by a internet marketer with novice level lifts. i've heard so much shit about mehdi, he might actually be legally retarded

SL/SS is retarded as fuck, but to come say a bunch of retarded shit like some beginner cant handle 5x5 and will burn out....goober pls

As a beginner they wont be 3pl8 anything as well as the naturally fast adaptation period called noob gains, they will adapt and grow.

Maybe you were too soft to handle 5x5 but not everyone is, full body workouts kick the shit out of you but are doable.

yeh because everyone just gets huge benching, squating and deadlifting 1 plate for super high retarded reps

yea nah

SL is retarded for multiple reasons.
SS is not.

SL has you start with the bar, which is retarded.
SL doesn't specify that you should microload, which is retarded.
SL has rows, which is retarded for a novice, especially for low reps.
SL doesn't have chin-ups in by default, which is retarded.

i could go on and on

>I do 5x5 because it was the first routine I came across that gave me structure and targets.
this, it's easily manageable and easy to follow
before 5x5 i was following my friend's retarded curlbrosplit that looking back didn't make any fucking sense. My lifts started progressing fucking QUICK and he stayed at the same weight.

RIP gains

go on please, also i want to hear more about mehdi currently doing SS

all 5x5

squat 77,5kg
bench 55kg
ohp 30kg
row 42,5kg
deadlift 95kg

how about get bigger lifts before you give an opinion mate

So many variables. How many sips do you have between sets?

SS is not 5x5 you retard
SS doesn't have rows
SS has chinups

I usually do 6 sets in total. 2 warmup sets x5, 3x5-8 working sets (reps depends on the excercise) and for the last set I try to push out the last energy I have left by decreasing the weight a bit and going for 8-10 reps regardless of excercise. Works well for me, gets incredibly intense with squats and deadlifts though

novice here
SL 5x5 with curls and skullcrushers accessories
good for routine, and the app is handy

can I just do 1x25?

>dangerous
what did he mean by this?

give me a succesful novice program that's not based on LP

do whatever it takes

ignore danger

>too much
I'm doing 5x10 lad.

How is this a surprise? benching 2,5 plates 8 times instead of 5 means you are getting stronger

>thinking that 5x10 is much different from 5x5

cute

But it is?

he is asking you worthless nigger

I thought 3x10 was a meme and youre supposed to do 3x12

do you think 25x1 is the same as 5x5 as well?

the number of hard sets are the most important thing in regards to volume, not how many total reps you do, or reps per set

note how i said hard sets, doing 5 hard sets of 5 or 5 hard sets of 10 are not that different, if adjusted for weight. if you go for 10 reps you'd have to use lighter weight, which means you're not even using all the big muscle fibers until the last few reps. if you go for 5 reps, more fibers are active from the very beginning.

adding reps to a set requires lowering the weight, but the overall difficulty of the set remains the same (or should at least, if we're comparing)

there's a lot of studies done on this, and they all point to number of sets rather than overall reps, which means 25x1 is a million times harder than 5x5

10 is just a good baseline for high rep/low weight. It isn't magic.

I like 8-12 reps as a window, rather than just saying "10." Once you can do 12 reps with a given weight, you know you're ready to heavy up. If you can't hit at least 8, you need to lighten the load.

>do you think 25x1 is the same as 5x5 as well?
What? I'm saying 5x10 and 5x5 are different. Can't you read? One is mathematically higher volume than the other. The other will tax your CNS more.

>read this thread
>realize I've been doing everything wrong

I've been doing 5 sets of 6 on my bench and making good progress, but should I deload and go to 3x10 or 3x12? Help.

No?

I don't think you'll manage doing 25 of something with a good weight

I toggle between 4-6 reps and 8-12 every couple weeks. Why train for just strength or just hypertrophy when you can do both?

Not with that attitude.

I deadlift 165kg for 25

meant SL

>What? I'm saying 5x10 and 5x5 are different. Can't you read?
the question was to check how you think about volume, i never said that you said they weren't different. can't you read?

>One is mathematically higher volume than the other.

sure, but study after study has proven that just straight volume is not the most important thing, neither is volume load (where you account for the weight). the most important thing is the number of hard sets. a lot of semantics get in the way here so i'll define that last part as "practical volume".

volume = sets x reps
volume load = sets x reps x load
practical volume = # of hard sets (RPE7+) (in reality though this equation is much more complicated, but it's enough to use in a general sense)

so if you do 5x10 with an overall RPE of say 8, or do 5x5 with an overall RPE of 8, it's not that difference.
of course you can bring in corner cases like 5x20 vs 5x1 where this doesn't really apply since it's just straight up endurance vs strength. but in a general sense we can compare the most common rep ranges this way.

just think about it. imagine doing 25x1 at 90-95%, it would be a living hell, and probably not impossible if not using lighter singles in the beginning. then compare that to 5x5. both are equal volume. both can be adjusted to have equal volume load, BUT, they are not the same practical volume, which is obviously very, very important.

further reading: strengtheory.com/the-new-approach-to-training-volume/

just to add: this is not really a mainstream thought yet, which is why it can be hard to accept. people are very quick to dismiss anything because it goes against the norm

5x5 is god tier.
High volume + you still improve your strength.
Also I find 5x5 to be way more pleasant to do than for example 3x8

Am I the only one who sees her resemblance to that dog? I can't take any of her pics seriously
5x5 DL is just ridiculous. 3x5 for DL is okay as a beginner who's still learning the movement, though

It depends entirely on your goals.

Typically the people who look the most muscular do higher volume and isolation excercises and the strongest people I see in my gym do 5x5 and only bench, squat, deadlift and ohp but look way worse.

Sure there are no absolutes but this is just what I have experienced.

hey this could be a legit autism test actually

It literally is en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally–Anne_test

i think it is rodent-like. She looks more like a smug, wealthy rat-person

that's not at all what he meant

as you get more advanced, you must train with higher volume to keep getting gains

so instead of 10 working sets of bench a week, you need 15, or 20, or 25, and soon enough you're doing MSIC Sheiko with 1000 sets of bench in one session

No, it isn't.

Power lifting is sports specific. The amount of fat a competitor carries is only relevant if that fat pushes the lifter to a new weight class.

Maintaining a lower BF% comes with costs and those costs and diet can negativity affect performance in a lifting event.

The hay look at my muscles crowd are so unsure of themselves that they constantly have to project there insecurities so they target everyone. Sad really.

Yes, but at a certain point which is different for everyone 5X5 becomes to much volume. When that happens the training routine needs to be adjusted.

A constant increase in load as per 5x5 eventually ends for everyone and to progress a more advanced program is needs. Not more complex more advanced.

>both rounding their spines
Enjoy snapcity anne and sally