Rest Thread

There are not a lot of discussion on rest. So /discuss

>Hitting the gym hard af this past year
>Doing UD 2.0
>Shit is great, got some gainz and looked awesome last halloween
>Not as healthy, got 4 sinus infections in one year
>Doc did a CT scan and found I have bacteria that wont drain because deviated septum and scar tissue (nose all fucked up because of boxing)
>Doc gave me corticosteroids
>Out of nowhere acne breakout
>Keep dropping shit for no reason
>Tired and sleepy all the time (even with sleeping for 9 hours)
>No size and strength gains, nor fat loss (if anything, I am getting weaker)
>Body becoming more skinnyfat though I already adjusted my diet and yohimbine
>Concluded its CNS/Adrenal gland fatigue

tl;dr I need a good recovery/active-recovery workout so I wont lose gains? I am planning to stop working out on the 4th because I have a Spartan Race on the 8th. I do need to workout before then.

I presume maintenance diet will do? For a week or so?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH2uhJ2RmgYVETxvU_BCu1Xxb5dFt8xjj
nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-3-9
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3265077/
youtube.com/watch?v=fNcWudez7EE
youtube.com/watch?v=GFH3dXANut4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yoga

>There are not a lot of discussion on rest.
I wonder why.

That is more rest, where is the active part?

Not a bad idea, though.

Soon.

Considering its super necessary

DDP yoga

>no gf to rest with

Feels bad man

Breh. GFs dont want to rest, they always want to do something.

beautiful picture. Her pose is very renaissancey

I realised that I don't live for myself, but my girlfriend.

Unconditional love idk. I just want to give her the world. I know she don't want it, but I want her to have it.

Maintenance?
This isn't a diet break nigga. This is your attempt at recovery.

Eat above maintenance and cut your workouts in half. Not just in volume but the amount of times you actually workout.
And eliminate all stimulants. I mean fucking all of them. Yes that includes the Yohimbe.

Do this for 1-2 weeks. If you're still completely fucked after that then you should go on a full time out. Eat at maintenance and do something relatively active(like a hobby or sport or just hiking or walking) but not your previous workouts till you're 100%. That can take up to a month or more.

Wtf are you doing on Veeky Forums pussywhipped faggot

I do MMA/Cardio MWF, I lift T-TH-S.

Can we expedite it by just doing something relatively active so I wont lose gains? Maybe less intensity? (jogging? intervals? sprints? pushups/pullups?)

FUCK, I got a house party on Saturday (avoid alcohol?!?!) and an all-nighter on Tuesday! FML.

Also, would you recommend keto but abit above maintenance or at maintenance?

I wouldnt want to reverse months of progress esp since summer is right around the corner

I lift every day. I don't have a job right now, so i basically go: Rest during the morning and noon, hit the gym around 6, rest in the afternoon. This is gonna change when i start working again soon.

>mfw reading in the bathtub after gym
>no job, no gf, no worries

Dude, if you don't take this shit seriously you're going to be laid up and unable to workout for half of a fucking year.

A ten day - two week rest with minimum exercise and only to maintain(which is really not much at all) is the bare fucking minimum you can get away with. And exercise of any kind is actually frowned upon.

As for keto, I don't fucking know man. When I just completely fucked it with months of hard daily workouts and eating fuck all I just completely crashed out for a month or more did the bare minimum or nothing at all and ate normally.

If you want to do keto go ahead. But I would suggest looking at what other guys who're in your position decided to do. Not the "enhanced" or "half-natty" dudes either. The naturals.

Don't you die on me!

>lower back feels aggravated
>can easily ignore it in every day life
>go lift
>no issues during lifting
>next day, feels like DOMS but 100x worse
>next day, it's almost gone again
>repeat
>doesn't get better
>drop squats and deadlifts for a while
>gets slightly better
>stop training for a week
>gets slightly better
>do some heavy-ish gardening work
>flares back up in the evening
>gone the next day again
Guess it's time to see a doctor

Adrenal fatigue is a meme man, there is something else wrong.

Did you get your testosterone checked?
How is your mood? Do you feel depressed?

Several years ago when I was diagnosed with severe clinical depression I was also sleeping 9-10+ hours a day and still just exhausted all day long

>got 4 sinus infections in one year
hello old me
I haven't heard of UD 2.0 before but it looks intense, probably too much if you're not a NEET or an office drone

what worked best for me was 3 days a week training, I'm trying to creep it up to 4 or 5 days but I have to be careful not to fall into the same old thing

I felt depressed this past late January, but it's probably from taking neuropeak pills (nootropics) never been that depressed since I stopped.

It's very reasonable, it allows you to workout and be aesthetic at the same time have a life (high calorie days) it's a win-win and I kind of am an office drone

depression is also a sign of overtraining, don't assume that you're average or above in recovery, you might have to lessen your load

Resting is very important. www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/the-importance-of-rest.html

Who here does Earthing?

2.4.3. Immune Cell and Pain Responses with Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness Induction
Pain reduction from sleeping grounded has been documented in previous studies [10, 13]. This pilot study looked for blood markers that might differentiate between grounded and ungrounded subjects who completed a single session of intense, eccentric exercise resulting in delayed-onset muscle soreness (DOMS) of the gastrocnemius [21]. If markers were able to differentiate these groups, future studies could be done in greater detail with a larger subject base. DOMS is a common complaint in the fitness and athletic world following excessive physical activity and involves acute inflammation in overtaxed muscles. It develops in 14 to 48 hours and persists for more than 96 hours [22]. No known treatment reduces the recovery period, but apparently massage and hydrotherapy [23–25] and acupuncture [26] can reduce pain.

Eight healthy men ages 20–23 were put through a similar routine of toe raises while carrying on their shoulders a barbell equal to one-third of their body weight. Each participant was exercised individually on a Monday morning and then monitored for the rest of the week while following a similar eating, sleeping, and living schedule in a hotel. The group was randomly divided in half and either grounded or sham grounded with the use of a conductive patch placed at the sole of each foot during active hours and a conductive sheet at night. Complete blood counts, blood chemistry, enzyme chemistry, serum and saliva cortisol, magnetic resonance imaging and spectroscopy, and pain levels (a total of 48 parameters) were taken at the same time of day before the eccentric exercise and at 24, 48, and 72 hours afterwards. Parameters consistently differing by 10 percent or more, normalized to baseline, were considered worthy of further study.

(1/2)

Parameters that differed by these criteria included white blood cell counts, bilirubin, creatine kinase, phosphocreatine/inorganic phosphate ratios, glycerolphosphorylcholine, phosphorylcholine, the visual analogue pain scale, and pressure measurements on the right gastrocnemius.

The results showed that grounding the body to the Earth alters measures of immune system activity and pain. Among the ungrounded men, for instance, there was an expected, sharp increase in white blood cells at the stage when DOMS is known to reach its peak and greater perception of pain (see Figure 3). This effect demonstrates a typical inflammatory response. In comparison, the grounded men had only a slight decrease in white blood cells, indicating scant inflammation, and, for the first time ever observed, a shorter recovery time. Brown later commented that there were “significant differences” in the pain these men reported [12].

(2/2)

Keto is literally GOAT, user. Check out my LCHF playlist. The first 5 vids are short and really informative. youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH2uhJ2RmgYVETxvU_BCu1Xxb5dFt8xjj

8 hours a night no questions, natural lift 3-4x a week full body only deadlift once your nervous system needs rest

>Did you get your testosterone checked?

Forgot to mention, I did use SARMs and test boosters. Stopped since 2 months ago though.

Solid post user, now we just gotta figure out a proper active-recovery workout to maintain gains but at the same time not fuck ourselves up

>"bitch I made breakfast, so you are going to get up to eat it."

But then would being in a deficit/keto help or hurt with adrenal recovery.

I used to do keto and IF (last summer) lost a ton of fat and got abs for the first time, problem I have with it is the strictness of it, absolutely no room for error otherwise you gotta start over. UD 2.0 is the future!

>ey

Not who you're responding to but saying yoga is rest is completely ignorant. You've clearly never done it before or that wouldn't be your opinion.

You'll probably want to start light. Maybe try some basic 15 minute youtube tutorial then post again ITT.

Nah bro, I've done yoga several times (and foam roll and release), it was not that bad... Granted it was beginner's yoga

Do you have a food scale? You need that. I track my macros on cronometer.com which is the best for tracking keto macros and also meeting whatever protein ratio I am aiming for.

Keto leads to more muscle retention over a higher carb intake. nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-3-9

And should support hormones much better because most of them are made of lipids and/or cholesterol, which you should get plenty of.

Gonna be a little bit of a shill and say, either buy an earthing mat or if you're too poor ( like me) make one. It sounds like woo woo but earthing is substantive. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3265077/
Relevant to adrenals:
>K. Sokal and P. Sokal drew blood samples from 6 male and 6 female adults with no history of thyroid disease. A single night of grounding produced a significant decrease of free tri-iodothyronine and an increase of free thyroxin and thyroid-stimulating hormone. The meaning of these results is unclear but suggests an earthing influence on hepatic, hypothalamus, and pituitary relationships with thyroid function. Ober et al. [12] have observed that many individuals on thyroid medication reported symptoms of hyperthyroid, such as heart palpitations, after starting grounding. Such symptoms typically vanish after medication is adjusted downward under medical supervision. Through a series of feedback regulations, thyroid hormones affect almost every physiological process in the body, including growth and development, metabolism, body temperature, and heart rate. Clearly, further study of earthing effects on thyroid function is needed.

If you want to do it, this is the video I used for my DIY mat. youtube.com/watch?v=fNcWudez7EE

I've been using mine for only 2 days but already my sleep has improved and my body heat production has went up. I used to sleep in sweats and shirt. now I sleep in shorts onlyand had to turn the a/c up to not sweat from the extra body heat.

>currently typing this on my phone while being in chataranga

Oops, wrong video. That ones shit. youtube.com/watch?v=GFH3dXANut4

Oh was just about to walk around my backyard with no shoes on :/

Something from the study on muscle retention that is very relevant to your situation.
>Adrenergic stimulation
The increase in adrenaline may be involved. Low blood sugar is a potent stimulus to adrenaline secretion and it is now clear that skeletal muscle protein mass is also regulated by adrenergic influences. For example, Kadowaki et al. demonstrated that adrenaline directly inhibits proteolysis of skeletal muscle [6].

if walking barefoot is all you can do then that is better than nothing for sure. That's what I did. But more time spent grounded will be best. Having a mat you can sleep on for 8 hours is much better. I say that because most or all of the studies I've read have the participants actually sleeping on a grounded mat. And honestly its much more convenient than trying to get outside when its not too hot or cold and twiddling your thumbs or only being tethered to how much battery life your laptop has left.

Some is better than none. Undeniably. But hours are better than minutes.

I spent $32 dollars on enough material for two mats.

Jesus.. the amount of soccermom science in this thread..

You don't just magically fly out of ketosis because you touch a carb. You've UPREGULATED genes that build the tools for you to more efficiently turn fat into energy. They're not going to turn off unless you actually have no willpower and couldn't help but drink your MTN DEW GAME FUEL(tm) every day for a week straight.

The longer you stay there, the less you crave that refined sugar that you're helpless against.

t. I eat over 100g of carbs a few days a week and remain in ketosis

>100g of carbs a few days a week
>ketosis

Pick one.

(Unless of course you are in a deficit anyways)

t. I eat over 100g of carbs a few days a week and remain in ketosis

You were doing so well, too.

>(Unless of course you are in a deficit anyways)

The only unless is if he is eating at least 400 calories a day, thus making his carb intake 10% of his total calories. Even then I'm not sure if that's how it works.

You still here user?

Ish lol

Thinking of going swimming user

Anyone taking ZMA? I've heard some good things about its effects on sleep, what are your experiences?

I came to the conclusion that it was just melatonin and tribulus

So I just take melatonin

Is he Natty ?

How long from 29 year old, 6'1, 165 pounds into that pic ?

hyde stops me frome sleeping a solid 8 hours. i wake up every 2-3 hours even if i took the shit 6+ hours earlier

ZMA is the shizz, feel well rested when you wake up, have good dreams and helps t production due to quality rest