Can lifting weights cure depression?

Can lifting weights cure depression?

it's an advanced form of distraction from unhappiness and lack of direction in life
it's closer to taking drugs than to doing something that really improves your life

oh hell yes, youll feel invincible

Who is this amazing young lady?

Yes. I lost 56lbs and gained a decent amount of muscle. Felt great.

Let myself go for a year, gained about 60lbs and felt like absolute crap. Past month I've been sorting myself out and working out more, feel better, only bad feels come from the shame of being fat again.

a thot

You're a fucking thot.

humans were not designed to be happy. however, consistently lifting weights does a pretty good job of stimulating your brain's reward systems and will improve your baseline mood

I wish

It gives you something to work on and dedicate your time to. You'll feel amazing when things are going nicely but it will also make you feel like absolute shit when you're not progressing and god forbid you skip a workout.

thank u for saying this

It can improve self esteem, and boost confidence. Theres also happiness from making gains and bettering yourself. You get some endorphins from it too. Cardio specifically makes me feel really happy but im gonna have to stop doing it because its killing my gains.

Wont fix everything if your life is a mess. Def better to do it than not tho

for me it helped a lot at first but after almost two years my depression became even worse when i realized nothing changed apart my body and that i wasted another 2 years

Yes, your depression will be cured and replaced with body dysmorphia.

It doesn't cure depression, it can help it.
Working out and lifting weights,
1. Gives you a dedicated time where you're actively working and therefore not thinking of your problems.
2. Can balance chemical reactions in the body.
3. Losing weight and building muscle can build self esteem.
Nothing can truly cure depression other than you yourself overcoming what is depressing you.
If being fat depresses you, yes lifting weights could be the cure.

>tfw gained body dysmorphia and stayed depressed
life is suffering

>tfw thinking of hanging myself every day because the same happened to me

These two chicks are perfect.

as some1 who struggels with depression lifting is one of the only places that i only need/can think about my next set and my thoughts cant roam around about the depression stuff

I want to murder everyone that has ever used that filter. Man woman and child. But mlatly woman

yeah body dysmorphia is a bitch was happier with my body when i was a fat cunt cause i dident care

2 years in and still depressed, but I'd say I made progress. It won't be a miracle, but I do think it can help. It's a lot of fun to boot, not much makes me happy but when I'm working out I always have a good time

yes, tonnes of endorphins released when you lift, and afterwards. Keeps my depression at bay

Nah, but it's a good way to take a break from the dull nagging pain that is depression.

Ultimately you should look for habits that occur in your life that put you in a negative head space and learn to accept or fix them. I recommend meditation, it's not a 100% fix but I find that days that I do meditate I tend to be in a more mindful neutral mood which is a step above feeling like shit.

Also take the fitness thing a step forward and really improve on your whole appearance. Great way to stay motivated since building a physique can be slow. Make some solid hair, skin, hygiene gains along with your gym goals.

until it causes dysmorphia

Not really.
It will only fuel your anger, so you can come back again and try harder.
Kinda like addictive substances - your hunger only grows with time, and maybe it becomes a problem, or maybe not.

Rush of hormones after you smashed new PR on deadlifting is something to experience. Yeah, it helped me to stay occupied and sane throughout some hard times.

She is literally my ideal girlfriend minus the attention filter.

why is she so beautiful

the face that could launch a thousand sniffs

like any coping mechanism, you need a constant stream of it that offers enough variability or it loses its effect

as for its effectiveness, it's great and has nothimg but positive effects; pair workng out with anothet activity and say goodbye to depression

If anything I'd tell a depressive to do cardio. Lots of it. It works wonders.

Indirectly. The best thing about lifting weights is the affects it can have on you in the long run. Feel better, look better, it leads to better things. that can all compound on themselves.

meh

"depression" is a meme, just another excuse cunts bring up as for why they can't even try

>tfw you'll never have a girl that looks like this because you're terrified of social interaction due of low self esteem and anxiety, both increased by lifting
life is also meaningless, user

(You)

Why can't they try then?

Yeah but nothing natural can cure that girl's forehead

something something excercise releases serotonin/dopamine something something it's not a magic bullet.

Yes, you'll feel like you're at least progressing at something, even if it's breaking your shitty bench PR.

It makes you forget the outside world for about an hour and a half when you do it.

It's not big at all, are you high?

Wont cure it but sure does help.

wrong

If you have legit severe depression lifting weights will absolutely not "cure" it.

It can be a small part of the entire puzzle but when you feel like you don't even wanna be alive getting in better shape isn't going to change that.

It makes you feel good while you lift and a few hours after lifting because of the endorphines liberated by the nervous system.
I wouldn't say it cures depression, but can help a lot, depending on how much you enjoy lifting, too.
However since depression causes fatigue it will make it harder to lift, it's basically a strength goblin.

It's such a hard illness to beat. Sometimes I feel like just giving up. All my doctors do is pump me full of pills which fuck me up in some other ways

It hasn't cured it for me but it definitely helps ease the self loathing

what pills do you take user? I'm medicated with clonazepam and risperidone. First dose during the day to feel good/calm anxiety and second dose in the night to sleep.
I rather much prefer having a mental illness than a chronic physical illness.

no but medicine can. thats what cured me. no im lifting 4 days a week and i feel amazing.

Get off of them if you can.

I was on anti depressants and benzos (Zoloft, Effexor, Wellbutrin, and Klonopin) for nearly 10 years. Getting off the anti depressants made me feel like I had a minor flu for 2 months but the benzo withdrawal sent my mood into a death spiral with loads of physical symptoms like mild seizures and panic attacks. Those drugs are the fucking devil. I also made significant gains once I got off of them and have way more energy.

:(