Calorie estimate

how the fuck do i track the calories of homemade foods and food from restaurants? pic related. just ate this big ass burrito filled with grilled shrimp, steak, beans, and rice. it's not terrible like fast food but the problem is, i'm trying to lose weight. what do Veeky Forums?

Measure it out before hand and work it out...

>measure it out before hand
are you saying i should completely take apart my food and measure the individual ingredients then google the calories?

Honestly? Throw that shit out and never eat there again because that looks like crap.

It can be difficult, but
1) After a while you get better at estimating calories for shit based off of references to other things you've eaten than you know the calories for
2) If you are bulking, try to underestimate the calories you're eating. If cutting, overestimate. Just to be safe

Yes. If you want to be safe fill your meal with 2/3 veggies. It'll always be low calorie that way

That's probably around 500 calories I'd assume. I can't see how big it actually is. I'd just eyeball stuff like that.

You don't literally need to accurately calculate every calorie unless you're an obese retard or are doing professional body building.

It looked bad in the thumbnail, but the contents of that thing looks fucking tasty. You just have a horrible and childish palate.

homemade is fucking easy

Weigh all ingredients beforehand if getting combined, then figure out its net volume or # of servings. Like... if you're doing homemade pizza, it's dough + sauce + cheese + meat into a WHOLE PIZZA. Then you eat 1/4 of it. It's basic f'ing math.

As for eating out... a lot of places do have calories listed online, else you'll can likely find comparables. Like Chipotle or Bullritos or someshit probably has a similar listing.

>but the problem is, i'm trying to lose weight. what do Veeky Forums?

just do more cardio than usual tomorrow

fuck all the bullshit these retards tell you, OP counting calories is way too obsessive and inconvinient. I did it for 1 year straight for every little shit I put in my body and it hardly worked. I cut at 300 calories on deficit and unless you're ridiculously exact, the numbers can differ that much every day.

since summer, I've just been trying to eat things that I know are high in protein and low in calories. I try to eat as little as I can as long as I'm not starving and I've gone down around 10 pounds without measuring shit! our body has its own way of measuring how much food one needs. if you're not completely satisfied, yet not super hungry then you're eating at deficit. if you're overeating you can feel it. then you're bulking. no point carrying a fucking scale with you everywhere you go. for people who have lives besides lifting it's just ridiculous

Not sure where you're heading with this, but calorie counting is very useful with moderate thought.

Everyone has a daily routine, daily foods, and its easy to do it in this sense. If you're eating out and cant find any dietary information, it wouldnt hurt leaving it out for a day.
I assume OP is having a cheat day by eating out anyway.

my 2 cents:
eating out
- find what would be the closest match from a chain restaurant
- search their website or sites like myfitnesspal
- if bulking, subtract 20% of macros/cal
- if cutting, add 20% of macros/cal and try to avoid eating outside

home made:
- get a food scale and measuring cups
- weight everything and use the nutrition labels
- if there's no other choice, use measuring cups and google for input

i'm tracking pretty much everything in the last 3 months and the scale and my body agree on what i'm doing.

Find a similar style burrito served at a big restaurant. Adjust the serving size to fit in with your best guess as to the calories.
It's good enough, unless you are a fat ass.

If you're a fat ass, STOP eating out.

Maybe cook your own food then fatty

>how the fuck do i track the calories of homemade foods
pic related

>food from restaurants?
you don't eat out. Not the fun answer, but simple enough most restaurants don't provide calorie info. So, if you need to count your calories don't eat out often.

I definitely see where you're coming from and that's a fair view but by that same token it's not that fucking difficult to log what you've eaten into MyFitnessPal. It can really help you stay in the appropriate range.

This. I just stopped eating out except for maybe once a month or so on special occasions. And even then I don't splurge if I can help it.

>And even then I don't splurge if I can help it.
I'm this way mainly because rent is taking 80% of my income before I get a promotion in the near future.

Dude absofuckinglutely. Rent makes cutting very easy since all I can afford is protein

California?

Louisiana, so not nearly as bad but I pay rent in a 3 bedroom house that is currently housing 2 people

I feel you. Last place I lived was kind of similar. Still though, $1200 for half a 2-bedroom. Fuck me m8.

if it matters to you then you can ask the manager, its just good business to know how much food you give each customer. then work out macros from generic values online.

if this isn't accurate enough for you then you eat out too often and you need to take your macros more seriously

Holy fucking shit I hope the pay over there is raised to accommodate that shit. I pay $450 a month for everything and I live in a pretty nice suburb area. I only make $14 an hour which is like double minimum wage. But I also only work 20 hours a week on top of my graduate studies.

700-800 calories

I currently make just over $13 an hour full-time. My raise would be up to $16, followed by the next position at $19. After that I get a salary which could be anywhere between 80-120k.

big franchise restaurants are legally required to post calorie info where I live so it's easy

If it's a small mom and pop place I try to compare it to the closest thing at a franchise place and look up their nutrition info online

That's got be about 700 calories. Assuming there is no extra sauce.

ha ha plebians step aside. I pay $1500 a month for a 400sq ft studio apt in a seattle suburb

Just plug in shit from my fitness pal and guesstimate it. You're not gonna be 100% accurate but I lost 40lbs eating stuff like that and loosely tracking.

Also the guy who said that's 500cals is WAY the fuck off. I would put that closer to 1000-1200 calories depending on if you have cheese and sour cream and stuff in it. The tortilla alone is probably close to 300 calories.

I don't envy you, new yorkers, or san francisco. I miss Phoenix: $1400 for a 4 bedroom house with a fucking pool, garage, and laundry.

Holy shit dude what the fuck is that

That's a pretty badass raise, I hope you get there sooner rather than later. Mind if I inquire about what you do?

Gaht damn maybe the south isn't so bad despite all the fatties and ooga boogas

I work in advertising, currently on the bottom ring. Our company makes a couple million a year so most of our top employees make about 80-100k.

Phoenix here, where the fuck is this? Some outskirt like Avondale or Gilbert? How long ago did you live in Phoenix? Rent is fucking stupid here for central Phoenix right now desu.

Also here is how I would track that OP. Obviously I don't know exactly what's in there but you just have to do some guesswork. Always overestimate if you're cutting and underestimate if you're bulking

My friends rented a place in Tempe back in 2014 for like $1400 or something like that (Maybe $1600? I don't remember)

But 4 people lived there and each of them paid less than 500 bucks.

And even when I lived there I lived in a 3-bedroom apartment for a few years at $1000, which raised to $1100 after the first year.

Makes sense. House values have gone up a lot since 2014 and thus rent has gone up a lot too. My friend bought a home in 2015 and paid 180k for it, it's worth 230 now with no remodeling done.

I'm just bitter as fuck desu. 1 bed apartments are going for 1200$ a month and shit. It's slowly turning into all those bigger cities.

>1 bed apartments are going for 1200$ a month and shit. It's slowly turning into all those bigger cities.
Holy shit, for real? What the fuck happened since I moved? I heard that Phoenix was gaining a ton of new residents but that rent says a lot more than I was expecting.

I thought it was kind of weird that there were way more homeless people than I remember the last few times I visited.

everything is 1000 calories.
italian food is a mistake to eat at all while cutting
if i'm going out i usually don't eat anything prior and after. or if i do i have to put up with chicken and rice.

If you cut your pasta serving in-half italian food is still manageable. Restaurants are the devil though.

Yup I think it's just a lot more people. We jumped from 6th largest city to 5th. Traffic seems worse everywhere and those rents. I grew up here and love it plus my career is here but I definitely hate how big it's getting

That's a huge bummer to hear. I lived in Phoenix for 21 years and loved it to death. I wouldn't want it to change.

>mfw idk non-pasta italian dishes

Personally I've got a pretty good grasp of how much calories are in a given amount of a basic whole food, so throwing them together in my meal I can make up a decent count in my head.

All it takes is about 1-3 months of putting everything you eat into MFP and you will pretty much be able to eyeball anything that you make at home and come up with a good estimate. Personally I've never counted my calories after that, and I'm cutting currently and have lost around 10 lbs, starting with about 17%bf. Really if you eat whole foods and excercise everyday it's not that hard to lose weight.

burrito tortilla: 250-300
4 oz beef: 170
4 oz shrimp: 100
1 cup rice: 160-210

that's all I can see, so with no cheese/sourcream/beans it's about 680 calories

Buy a scale. Are you gaining/losing weight at a reasonable rate? If you are, you're running an adequate surplus/deficit. If not, you're not.

You forgot all the oil it's cooked in

and beans

It's a sloppily put together burrito. It looks like crap.

That's a really low estimate. I just assume anything I eat at a restaurant and fills me up is 1500 calories.

By eating whatever you want in moderation and doing an extra set on everything.

Eat more? Work harder.
Eat less? Eat more and work harder.

>prawns in a fucking burrito
>childish palate
just stop posting

you're not trying very hard, are you OP

I make homemade beef and chicken jerkey and I'm finding it difficult to measure the calories/protons. wat do fitizens?

Yeah this is a Good rule of thumb Op , Because Im by the Looks of it that fucker is upwards of about 950 calories at the least least.

measure raw weight and mentally figure out how many portions you're making. Use this number for calories.

add a portion of your marinade (if you add any) to the total

divide now dried weight by number of portions. Easy.

>rice
>shrimp

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at but if you're saying rice and shrimp doesn't go together you're dumb as hell

>I'm trying to lose weight
lmao
>what do

Stop eating shit you don't know the caloric content of.

Nah, 1000 cal is too much. I'd say it is approximately 3000-3500 kj (approx 800 kcal).

if he bought it from a restaurant then it's safer to overestimate by 100-200kcal because they like to add sauces wherever they can to make it taste better

No you fucking retard, measure the ingredients when you're making the food. How can you be this stupid.

Read the labels on what you buy/look it up online if its produce. Count it before you make the meals.

And dont eat out at restaraunts.

I think OP means he didn't make the burrito

OP, I'd estimate 600 - 800 calories

Its at least 1k. The tortilla looks practically fried (which would be 300 easily on its own, the rice is probably in the 2-300 range, and then you've got about 3-500 for the meats, not including any of the oils any of it was cooked in.

6-800? doubtful. the tortilla is probably 300 alone.

What is that?

a shrimp and asada burrito, numbnuts

1100 - 1300 cal I 'd say

way more than that, dude

yeah, homemade is easy. I just weight the raw ingredients or just look at the info on the can (like if I use a can of tomato paste it says 150 Cal)

cutting at 300 cal deficit is nothing , dude. that's why you saw very little change, you retarded mongoloid.

>get a food scale and measuring cups
food scales are quite cheap for good ones, too

I log the weight of everything I eat. It takes like 10 minutes. You're just lazy.

There is no easy solution for restaurants. Even if they offer you nutritional information it'll be wildly innaccurate. You just have to build experience with gauging weight and ingredients.

As long as you don't eat out too often, youc an estimate tok a fair degree of accuracy and if you're off, you can adjust

this shit looked so gross from the thumbnail

don't most burritoes?

That looks fucking delish and filling at the same time

Go and stay go tastelet

>delish
Kill yourself faggot

BUT IT'S TOTES YUMMIE! DON'T YOU POLICE MY LANGUAGE!