/fast/#126 - yeri edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>REQUIRED READING!
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4111762/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329619/pdf/jcinvest00482-0014.pdf

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0&feature=youtu.be
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtu.be/dFT2IKmwyfg

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max 2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.
This is regularly referred to as snake juice.

>DYEL?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.
>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. 1000s of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
Your body remains very anabolic when you fast, and fasting is a muscle-sparing way of cutting

FAQ

>Where can I find potassium?
The grocery store salt aisle.

>Can't I just take potassium pills?
No. They don't contain enough potassium.

>Should I take a multivitamin?
Not unless you're on a monthlong marathon fast.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IEyj-qqf58o
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Started fasting and now my skin (especially arms) feel hot and are glowing red, is this me burning fat?

maybe lol, it's probably a rash or dry skin mate. did you shower? sweat?

put some lubriderm on it and drink water. if its a rash, use hydrocortisone

I get this every time I fast or change to a really clean diet. Mostly in the face. It feels warm like hot blood is flowing through and the skin becomes red. I drink a huge glass of water and take a nap. Usually, this is followed by the skin becomming really smooth and clean and my head feeling amazing. I think it might be 'detox' or whatever one might call it.

But since it is on your arms, it might be something else. Keto can make your sweat more like acid, so if you don't clean regularly, then it might give you a rash.

Gonna try to fast for three days. The longest I went ever is just for morning and afternoon. Ate protein for dinner. I plan to fast until my birthday any advice? I'm worried I'm doing too much too fast.

>planning to break fast tomorrow
>weight has already dropped below what I had set for the next refeed target

Niiiice. Just gotta stay strong tonight (restaurant job, coworkers have gotten wise to what I'm doing & are now going on about starvation mode//constantly offering me delicious food) so really savour the progression tomorrow - drop even lower than I am now, break it with a big breakfast of eggs & actually lift not-fasted for once (leg day, slowly getting better at front squats), then go out & buy some quality igredients & do a proper re-feed. If I eat at work tonight it definitely won't be enough to keep me jamming until the next next re-feed on Thursday or Friday (unless I max out on bread butts).

Does pic related break my fast?

So, let's say I'm on a fast and I end up doing heavy lifting for today instead of keeping it light with maybe some light weighs and cardio.

How fucked am I gains wise, if at all?

I've been continuing to make progress training 5+ times a week & maintaining a constant 48h+ fasting cycle, but I'm also still in the noobgains phase.

depends on what your goals for fasting are, if it's exclusively for weight loss you're fine

OMAW user here.
Yesterday was my refeed day. how bad would it be if I ate today and just started my fast from there?

It'll spike your insulin

Happy I found this thread before making one myself, I wanted to ask this one question:

How does fasting circumvent the typical advice given around here that you really shouldn't go sub 1,000-1,200 cal per day when dieting or you can fuck up your metabolism?

I'm sort of cautious about this since I fucked up my metabolism a few years back when I inadvertently went sub 800 cal a day for about 3 weeks while on vacation (and I was already skinny) and it took me forever to not immediately pack on fat when I was home on a regular diet.

Fasting is a lifestyle, not a diet. You're not fucking your metabolism because you're not going back to eating like a fucking cow.

yeri yeribh

not particularly bad unless you want to eat 3500 calories

There's an insulin response which will make you hungrier and keeping insulin high will make you resistant to it longer

It damages your long-term progress but not your short term progress

>How does fasting circumvent the typical advice given around here that you really shouldn't go sub 1,000-1,200 cal per day when dieting or you can fuck up your metabolism?

It doesn't circumvent the advice, the advice applies to people who eat. Fasting does not lower your metabolism, watch the lecture by Dr. Fung.

be careful when reading

posts, he is mentally ill and frequently binges on junk food.

If you don't know the answer stay quiet, retard.

Nah you're fine. For a 3 day you probably won't even need to supplement electrolytes, but if you do, I'd start a little lower than the OP and work up. I found via blood work that I personally need more salt than potassium in my drink to stay normal, but that was on a 6 day. Refeeding shouldn't be an issue for you, but I'd suggest some type of probiotic food (liquid or yogurt) and a small salad with a very basic dressing, if any, and some nuts as a first meal then a larger normal macro meal later on. May not be that way for you but I found that helps me avoid feeling sick to my stomach on the refeed. Make sure you get enough water and pack your willpower, the first 3 days are the toughest.

Thanks for the advice I was worried about binging by accident in my refeed a yogurt would probably help a lot.

it's because eating small amounts of calories a day fucks with your hunger / insulin hormones. if you don't eat you don't spike insulin you totally circumvent this.

during weight loss, if we don’t address the long term issue of insulin resistance, then some of the incoming energy is directed toward storage of fat. At the very least, we won’t be burning fat. Our basal metabolism gets energy from two sources – food, and stored food (fat). If high insulin levels blocks our access to fat stores, then all of our energy must come from food. If we have reduced food intake from 2000 calories per day to 1200, but basal metabolism must also fall from 2000 calories to 1200.

The short story is that your body will have different hormonal reactions to fasting than it does eating less, but still eating frequently.

Eating less will kill your metabolism in the long run. A fast/feast cycle will keep your metabolism high even though you're taking in less calories. The low levels of insulin you have while fasting also reduces your insulin resistance, lowering the intensity of hunger and cravings.

The hormonal difference between the two makes it easier to lose weight with fasting than traditional dietary advice.

This is the correct answer

anons should be careful with any posts on this or any other board.
if you read something and it sounds great do some research and chek it out .

because having a skin rash is so much harder than dying of heart failure...

wait, what. Then how people manage to lose fat on regular low calorie/multiple meals a day diet?

You can get to california from new york by walking, but most people prefer to fly.

>wait, what. Then how people manage to lose fat on regular low calorie/multiple meals a day diet?
The real answer is they dont manage to lose it. The failure rate of all calorie restriction diets is somewhere in the neighborhood of 85-90%.

In working with the fattys I do over the last dozen years I have seen fasting's success rate at over 95%.

no, i mean how does your body access your bodyfat storage if you never keep your insulin low?

Sorry for being this dumb i guess

They don't. My aunt was a nutritionist and super-obese and it wasn't until she fasted that she lost weight

>My aunt was a nutritionist and super-obese

Nutritionists are uneducated con artists. Not the same as dietitians.

Had to do a double take, coz it first looked like the bottom of a sink. Had to read the filename.

Sounds about right, she's a cunt

>Nutritionists are uneducated con artists. Not the same as dietitians.
Do they both pass out the usual failed "move more, eat less is the road to permanent weight loss" bullshit and say "fasting will kill you user"? Because if they do then there is no difference, they are both con artists, just that the dietitian has better training and PR.

I don't think anyone's answered your question yet. I've lost weight on CICO before I found out about fasting, roughly 40 lbs. What I think happens is that we lose weight initially because our bodies haven't responded to the reduced energy intake/ increased energy output. But over time the metabolism slows and the body starts fighting back: burning less calories during rest, less efficient body temperature regulation, lower energy. While this is happening, your hormones are primed to restore your original bf% and they're signaling for you to eat. Once you inevitably increase your calories again, bmr still remains low in order to prioritize fat storage.

>she's a cunt
arent they all?

forgot to add that I eventually gained the 40 lbs back before losing 70 lbs recently. I'm currently in the process of dialing in my routine to lost the last ~15 lbs

Dietitians are more commonly found in hospitals. Not really part of the fitness industry.

I still can but not as efficiently.

OH I GET IT since /kpg/ moves really FAST that's why a /kpg/ post made it into the OP

If I were to not IF-cico but do only cico more exercise would be needed. Insulin dungeon is for real.

What the fuck did you just say to me you little punk? I'll have you know that I am the top sniper in the US Navy Seals, with over 9000 confirmed kills in combat. I will rip off your head and shit down your neck. Everything could have been fine if you just kept your comment to yourself, but now you have triggered my unholy wrath upon you.

I WILL FUCK YOU UP!!!!! Your dead, kiddo.

thanks, just confirmed yourself for a tripfag i should filter

Best answer

So? The only thing they will tell you is things that are proven to be "safe" and can't be proven to be making you less healthy.

My uncle is a doctor, works at a ICU and he tells me the body loses muscle before fat.

People are literally retarded.

It's not entirely wrong, the question is just how significant it is.

Why did you roody-poos not tell me how fucking good cardio feels on a fast day (just recently started ADF)? It's like walking on air.

thx friend
I did an hour today and ya once i got going it was easy as fuck. On day 3 myself.

user here that was trying the dandelion tea to get rid of water weight?

Or does anyone remember if he posted results of dandelion tea for water loss?

I've just started drinking two pots of Dandelion Root Tea a day (2 x 2 teabags) and it makes some difference to the amount of urine I produce, but we're not talking gallons here. Maybe different people have different reaction. Dunno.

i think he's not taking in consideration when your insulin drops, he tells me if you stop eating you're going to lose all your muscle first, then you begin losing fat. This is what uninformed people think but he's a doctor with considerable understanding of physiology so maybe his argument is based on a sedentary person eating on a very low caloric deficit, so i guess when your caloric/macro intake is low gluconeogenesis happens, but if your insulin is high it will transform your muscle into glucose instead of your stored fat? I don't really know.

If the facts don't fit the theory then your theory is wrong. Pretty basic scientific principle. The guys who have muscle and fat, then fast, lose a lot of fat and a potentially miniscule amount of muscle. Just because your doctor has an MD certificate on his wall doesn't mean he knows shit about how fasting works.

on god bruh
youtu.be/IEyj-qqf58o

>2018
>not knowing the copypasta im referencing

>gained 4 pounds in two months
That's it, I'm done, fuck the boar ck, it's fucking trash, never go to that stupid board. I'm quitting it for good and have already started on a steady fast again. Seriously never go there.

>gained 4 pounds in two months
what were you doing to gain 4 pounds?

ive tried using diets and shit even biked for couple kilometers a day and didnt do shit
i mean ive probably ate too much but im sure my averge was like 1,500 vs my 2,500 TDEE so i shouldve lost weight but i didnt and im too lazy to count exact calories so i just said fuck it and im 3 days into 30 day fast right now
also
>tell anyone im fasting
>they say ill die from starvation
>they keep talking about mom science and shitty diets that didnt help me

>44 hour fast that finished with 4 hours of skiing and ended with a sugary waffle covered in real maple syrup

Fight me faggits

Doctors may think they are masters of the universe, but they are only as good as their training and practical experience. In something like fasting they often have no training at all (since the answer to weight loss they are told in medical college is still "move more, eat less") and just dogmatically recount what they vaguely remember from medical college.

sorry i made so many mistakes i deleted my post for the third time

hi granpaw

I bought pizza last month and had burger king 3 days in a row this month. Besides that? Two bags of chips a day for 3 days this week.

That's all I can say, I don't live a sedentary lifestyle, my job requires me to be active and I go to the gym 2-3 times a week. It could be water weight mixed in but I don't know. I certainty didn't stuff my face with 2k+ calories, even when I ate the BK, I didn't eat anything other than empty calories of chips or 2 cookies (where I get my food gives only 2 cookies max). I know I didn't exceed 3500 calories in a day, that's impossible for me. It probably occurred over time of being in a state of constant digesting.

I am honestly surprised my weight went up, I've been on my feet carrying pounds of shit, shooting weapons in shitty positions, and going to different locations for the past 2 weeks.

I will say I am short so I have a 1800 TDEE max and I've been extremely stressed out, that also might have impacted me.

My workplace is used to me fasting, so I don't care. The shitty part is that if you don't count those calories they will 100% creep up on you. I'm in full reversion mode though, I'm not fat per se (115lbs) but I do not want large fucking thighs, all my fat goes to thighs stomach, so looking at my upper half of my body nothing has changed.

this, its definitely him he notoriously deletes his own posts for missing commas and shit
No on cares stop dude, not a big deal

>hi granpaw
hes deffo not grandpa. he used to use reddit spacing which we all used to bitch about if you recall

Reddit spacing was a 2017 meme from fob reddits trying to act all “cool” on “””Veeky Forums”””

In reality people have often double spaced their lines on Veeky Forums sonce before reddit existed

This is one of the things i hate though. "reddit spacing" is a good thing and makes it easier to read. I hate reddit and the stuff from that site but thats a good thing.

You don't need to go light during a fast.

I was not expressing an opinion on reddit spacing, just stating the fact that grandpa always used it and folks here were continually bitching about it. untwist your knickers ladies

>untwist your knickers ladies
I didnt accuse you of that, i was just expressing my opinion buddy boy
>ive never fasted or lifted before

I'm on my 6 day of fasting and I can't stop thinking of food, guys. Should I fucking eat tomorrow, bros? Then go again? This is my first fast btw, I'm looking lose about 20lbs

OMAW is a thing for a reason you know. Plus, if you eat a ketogenic meal you can enjoy it without throwing yourself out of ketosys.

But what about bodyweight exercise?

This may be an unpopular opinion, but eat.
You lasted for X days, that's good enough. Eat, and you'll last longer next time.

You're not going to never eat again, after all.
So just consider it a successful six day fast.

yeri

Go ahead and eat. You can start another fast after.

Alright, thanks, brahs. I think I'll eat a small keto meal without feeling as bad about it. I'll start another fast tomorrow

first fast and you made it 6 days. Damn nigger now I feel like a bitch. 6 days 5 hours is my snake juice record and 72 hours is my dry. I'm skinnyfat now probably 14-16% bf and I think I'm gonna go for an extended snake juice fast to 100% this shit already.

>at on regular low calorie/multiple meals a day diet
Wrong, I lost 35 lbs earlier in my life from low cal diet and just last year almost 40 on 12-1400 calories. It works fine, if you stick to it. I recently discovered this board and /fast/ however and I am OMADing my way to my leanest yet.

Nutritionist certification test is easy peasy. To be a dietician you need to have an undergraduate degree.

I'm on hour 47 and ready to break. This is really hard. I thought I could just stop eating and it'll be fine but I'm feeling terrible. How do fast until you're not obese? People seem to have done it before but right now I'm really finding it hard to commit.

first 2-4 days are hardest. Keep going and distract yourself or just nap.

At what BF% does fasting become ineffective?

I'm on my second fast at the moment. The first one made the pounds melt away, but this one is not quite so rapid, despite increased cardio.

Currently 186 pounds and 19% bodyfat.

>How do fast until you're not obese?
keep fasting even if you break your fast
have a meal , low carb , and then begin a new fast
just do it , dont give up

Anyone smoke pot while fasting?

no, typically people who fast want to improve their health and cleanse too

thingken about ketOMAD

anyone doing that? Experiences? What do you eat?

its not a rash or the skin being red but under the skin is red, like blood flowing

I did a four day fast, ate a meal, and am three days into another fast.

I had some skin discoloration due to a yeast infection. It's rapidly clearing up since I started. Autophagy is real, I guess.

>cleanse
dont say this

>day 7 of my fast
>feels like I'm dying
That's not how it's supposed to go. I did the salt and potassium thing too. Maybe it's because I'm being overworked by school + work + projects and have literally no free time, but it feels like death.

You can lose those 4 pounds in 7 days of fasting.

You can lose 5-and-a-quarter without much effort. Not a 400lb hambeast either

Go a little bit longer, the first days of fasting are the hardest, if you go another days you should be finished with the most difficult part.

I can't afford to pass out at work, people already think I'm weird

I have never even felt the slightest bit weak or light headed while fasting.