Realism in a fantasy

What aspects of realism do you add into your fantasy settings? Like gender differences if you want to go there.

People acting like actual people, not just robots.

I assign stackable wisdom penalties to chauvinistic characters

The absolute minimum necessary. Fun is better.

as long as there aren't any female soldiers/warriors im ok with anything.

This and potatoes are all I care about to be desu fampai

this t b h

And physics behaving more or less the way it does normally.

I try and shoot for emotional realism, even the most outlandish of settings and adventures. So, people still act and react like human beings even in the midst of an absurd fantasy adventure.

Race realism
Trickling down economics
Class realism

We basically play D&D is what I'm saying.

Nothing much.
We go full fantasy with floating airships and crazy barbarians in loinclothes.

>Like gender differences if you want to go there.
Let's not beat around the bush, that's exactly where you want to go

Just throw away all PC-bullshit from recent years, and everything wil be fine.

>Like gender differences if you want to go there.
Males roll for stats, females point-buy or pick array. That's the most realism you're gonna get on biological level - males are more "variable", females are more "stable".

I apply realism with politics and religions. Try to do the same with the ecologics and economics but not my strongest point.

I only go into gender differences if the particular culture where the players are in that moment have something "exotic" about their gender hierarchies.

People Pick feats and flaws and origins
Men and women are different, Women don't get as much strength, lower initiative rolls on new or uncommon encounters, are less likely to be killed in battle by capture prone enemies, gain bonuses to diplomacy and bonus CHA.
Wound System, applies, and there two tables for what happens in regards to Wisdom loss, one for insanity, one for lobotomy, or one for a Coma.
Beholders do not incur San loss due to being less of the Far realm and more of the current cosmology They're the only Far Realm species purely reliant on the arcane, proven to die without it in NWN though instead when attacking, people have a chance to end up fleeing during a barrage
Vampires have their age categories, variants, and weaknesses accounted for, and are never easy fights, same goes for Liches.
The alignment system controls more than just how you are oriented in the universe, which was a thing anyway, so when a player goes evil, I expect them to be.
There are recognition rolls for certain spells being cast, people always seem to know when someone uses domination on them by canon, and I wanted to at least have players smart enough to play with Mind-affecting powers to a degree of subtly and careful choice (Aka, bluffing, or convincing others of their influenced actions, they really have to make a false thought sound like a thought)
Spellcasters are given so many fucking cantrips it's unfunny, they need more utility magic they can use for more practical uses other than spells that maim kill burn.
Systems in place for Divine spellcasters taking part in their church and faith, contact with Deity is not vague and distant. Piety and other such things do occur.
Proper Crafting system, GP cost is representive, PC's who make their rolls can cut costs with materials GP represents if they know it goes into components of creation, Work orders, trade and commerce are important aspects of the world.
Gnomes are fucking kikes.

The Illithid are a genuine threat, once upon a time, and are now all over the place, the constant loss of Elder Brains shows it's toll in 3.5, and The likes of an Ilithad tier arsenal are only featured for Paragon, Epic-level or Solidatary Ilithid, Illithestine and deity bullshit has fucked everything up for this species.
Aboleth's are fucking Primordial fish that are the worst possible thing to fucking encounter, are given their dues as horrible monsters that will destroy you as they approach, if lucky, make you their slaves, or worse, they Broilspoil you to consume, they invite SAN loss, a multitude of horrid long-term Legend lore tier strategies to place against PC's and will do horrible close encounter shit, Hit them for massive damage and pray it's enough. Juveniles always avoid open conflict for too long and fuck with you like a Skinwalker would.
Negative Energy is a real problem as indicated by hauntings and necromatic intelligences, oversaturation is death.
Single adventure monsters may be added to encounter tables as they are discovered, I.E orb wraiths
The cult of Orcus is a bag of Saturday morning cartoon fun spliced with Jericho Satanic horror fun, going fullblown VILE is not farfetched at all when dealing with people who work for him
Pelor, Pelor fucking everywhere, expect questionable goodness in his clergy and church
Binders = put them on a fucking fire
Sharing information has consequences, don't go blabbing shit like lich rituals you autist fucks.
Tiamat is smalltime
Fleeing/Pursuit system, important, as not all battles are won, and because I'm not level scaling fairly, if you walked into a crypt and expected smooth times, you're in for a bad day.
The Factions in FR are all trying to push everyone out of their shit, as always. Expect alienation/coercement into the ideals of others on a regular basis.
Avoid mad people, they can take things down Lovecraft avenue
chance of Epic level dream larvae nightmares are possible.

Firstly, you have to differentiate between at least three different things that are shoehorned into "realism" box

There is actual realism, which is making things behave like irl for the sake of it, or general feel of authenticity. It needs to be true to reality, even if participants can't tell the difference, thus it may serve some educational purpose. It is often accompanied by large degree of complexity, that sometimes serves no other purpose. Good example would be vidya - "realism" is what ARMA is to CoD or Battlefield.

Then, there is believability. It is different from realism because it doesn't care about objective truth, but rather about "at glance" ability to sustain suspension of disbelief in conscious audience that isn't keen on purposefully putting it to a test. Audience that won't be specifically analyzing everything and searching for errors in continuity, but will be put off by things that break this continuity at glance. Usually, deus ex machinas, "le wizard did it" and inconsistent magical explanations in general won't work (magic would be a good explanation in coherent and well thought high magic settings though). Level of believability needed is of course dependent on awareness and knowledge of the audience. In cases of extremely knowledgeable and aware (or autistic) audience it might be the same as standard realism

Then there is fidelity to the sources, or "fictious realism". It doesn't strive to emulate real world, but rather motives from fiction or myth that inspired the game/campaign. Gender issues may be a good example - while in many cases women role is reduced because objecive, real world "realism", in most it is more driven by cultural imprint of expectations you have from watching alll those movies and reading all those books. There is always a SON who is heir to the throne, knights and soldiers are almost always male, and so on. To uphold the right atmosphere, you have to go with it.

that being said, I'm not fan of realism for the sake of realism in rpgs. It may work well for certain vidya and some other types of tabletop, but in case of RPGs it just overcomplicates things and constrains the "rule of cool" too much with little gain.

But the other two I always expect. And since watching fuckton of tards both here and everywhere else in tabletop gaming, I can tell that while I'm not a /k/, Veeky Forums, Veeky Forums or other related topic autist, my awareness and knowledge is above average, so I also expect believability and source fidelity to be up to above average standard.

>fantasy
>realism

What kind of absolute faglord are you user?

You forgot your smug loli OP image.

Go have ur "fun" somewhere else, normalfag scum.

I know we all say that we want realism, but it's a slippery slope. I like to use the Swedish "romantic medieval low-fantasy" RPG Västmark as an example of how it can go terribly wrong. Basically, the setting is a weird mash up of the author being annoyed at "historically incorrect" fantasy tropes, like thieves guilds, taverns with bars and gold coins, but also wanting to put weird magical realm things and crappy weeaboo drawings. So you get things like the economy being barter based, meaning every character has to carry around a wagon of chickens, barrels of fish and wool cloth every time they want to buy something, and the only combat spell is only used to tie the dicks of rapists into knots.

>Swedish
Yeah, right.

I don't get it, but I assume it has something to do with "hurr durr muslims and sjw durr".

I heard that -4 strength was the generally accepted handicap for female characters.

To be perfectly honest whatever your group is fine with. Magical realm is dangerously close here. For example priests in our setting can't be female but there are multiple ways around that (nuns, devout laymen, cultists and so on) if someone wants to have priestly powers for a female character. Of course many of those bring their own little twists when interacting with the official church.

I hold fighters to unrealistic standards of realism and drastically penalize any attempts to do anything but full attack.

Something doesn't become untrue because you say it in a self-consciously sarcastic way.

ARMA isn't realistic though.

True, only retards believe video games, movies and tabletop games are realistic.

Isn't there a Vietnam war based game where resolving a gun shot requires two pages of calculations?

I'm sorry for off-topic, but that paraplegic guy is the best sport imaginable.

>trickle down

Wow that really is a fantasy world

That's pathetic. You sjws are ruining gaming

That doesn't sound like a based game at all.

He didn't mean 'based' in the slang sense.

>That pic
That's not cool

I think that's part of his cosplay, not a tasteless joke on the paraplegic guy. Notice the black eye and damage on his clothes.

In addendum to It IS cool.

Dragons are a diverse class of chordates, none of which use magic or breathe fire, however all are capable of spitting acid in some capacity. The majority of dragon orders and species are flightless, and for some, flight is inconceivable, instead being 3 foot waddling sacks of flesh that defend themselves with vomit. Flying dragons are very small because of the amount of energy it takes to lift a heavy organism, and the big flying dragons are extinct or highly endangered because they are physically inferior to smaller dragons. The dragons who look closest to conventional dragons look like LOTR's fell beasts, most others have turtle or pterodactyl heads. Dragons are a step below humans and a step above gorillas in intelligence, and they possess a theory of mind. Basically I want dragons to appear as an actual biological class full of diversity but defined by their reptilian traits, 6 legs, complex digestive systems, and vomiting abilities. Most dragons are really easy to kill.

Non-human races, excluding dragons, are extinct

Almost all monsters are extinct

Living things cannot produce magic, no wizards or casters etc

Beings that are not in our world, such as sea monsters, dragons, and vampires, have a firm place in religion and culture, the world actually acknowledges their existence

Vampires are found everywhere that humans are and control the majority of governments. Vampires have no sex drives or gender roles, they operate on strict cultural codes to not turn humans without permission from their master going up the ladder, to never kill other vampires and instead undermine and torment them, and especially to never kill another vampire by surprise. Vampires rarely hurt or kill people, they mostly rely on servants and taxes. They die of old age after centuries however most lose their minds before that because their brains are still designed to be human.

Most rebellions against evil are the greater evil

Realism is a stale meme.

Weapons and combat are realistic, no jagged swords made out of inexplicably blue or transparent material, no giant hammers, no giant pauldrons, someone in plate armor is effectively a tank compared to unarmored opponents, swords aren't going to do any damage to a fully armored opponent

All monsters are evolution-based and have a defined niche that they occupy based on their biological advantages

However, something unrealistic which is vital to the setting:
All average or dull colors become duller or colorless, including trees and grass the sky which become grey
All bright key colors like someone's eyes or the trim of their clothing or bits of treasure become much brighter, the world looks like an unrealistic artist's depiction with emphasized details on people alongside incredibly unsaturated environments

It's a pretty sweet image.

His bros instead of excluding him they got him into the cosplay group in a fitting way.

The paraplegic guy is not a cunt and can take a joke at his expense instead of thinking of himself as a special snowflake everyone should deride themselves to.

Yes is it cool faggot.

If Sub-Wheels is okay with it then so should you. Stop feeling offended for people who didn't ask you to feel offended for them for your tumblrina points.

I have realistic medieval gender roles but with exceptions. And i don't restrict players based on their gender. That said I do imagine an 18 Str female fighter as "wiry" opposed to "buff"

All of my societies are run by women, who hold the dominant power in society. After all, magic is womans' work, and we all know it's just not realistic to put people capable of warping reality with their minds on the same level as people who can't.

>missing the joke that hard

>Trickling down economics
Realism not fantasy

>Starting thread with bait this cheap

Any kind of ancient history
Imagine I came here to post a homebrew setting:

>Single city with God-Emperor rules over entire known world
>Citizens kill any deformed babies
>Women are practically property, first of their fathers, then their husbands
>Loads of uneducated sex slaves who do whatever their white masters say. Constant sex with slaves
>Hyper-masculine culture, honour and fighting
>Unimaginable violence; people being sewed into bags, boiled alive, crucified and eaten alive

You'd accuse me of being a white-supremacist pol-fag, with a slave fetish... and that's just with the Romans. Imagine a game set in ancient Egypt, or pre-volcano Minoa. Pure fetish-fuel

Ancient humans are THAT GUY!

If my player's character is a female, I keep track of their menstrual cycles and give the combat penalties for a week.

Part of this was renaissance people making the ancient world look worse than it was so they could compare themselves favorably to it.

Hope those cherries you picked weren't sour.

just throw in le honorable but savage northern barbarians who treat their women way more decently. And depict romans accurately as mediterranean fenotype and not northern-european-white. Guess no-one will call you a /pol/tard the... oh wait.

While minoans and edgyptians would be fetish fuel for sure, but classy one and totally not /pol/. Even without kangz and shiet.

I give no thought or intention to do so, but things may happen that way simply because that's the way we play.

It's not that you are retarded user, but you are retarded.

Real Talk: How far does Realism go before it stops being Fantasy?

Wow, that's some spicy delusion you've got there, friend.

Ridiculing a serious problem? You're despicable.

>(((virtue signalling)))

user, pls.

The home planet has been slowly taken over by devils demons. Home planet is the new hell..or atleast one of many hells. A new world. Completly over ran with whatever. Elves have been there for thousands years alrdy. Where ever these humans go..hell will always try to follow.

10/10 setting would play