>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/.
How do you handle character death?

haven't had to because my dm is a pansy.

Only die in convenient places, such as immediately before freeing a genie able to grant a wish
Then convince the party rogue that he shouldn't just wish for loads of money

Immediately pull out a new filled in character sheet

>General combat ability option

Unless your DM is REALLY crazy about making combat exciting and puts shit everywhere and encourages players to really interact with the environment, throw shit, use magical items that don't happen to be the weapon type you're specialized in, there's barely any downside to specializing.

'I attack with a greatsword' isn't much different to 'I attack with a halberd'.

Make a new character. I die so often I've given up caring and just make stupid builds characters like str wizards and elemental monks

>elemental monks
It's rare to meet somebody who actually played one. What's your experience?

Our cleric died towards the beginning of the campaign. He and my paladin were buddies, so I carried his body back to town and gave his temple money for a funeral/burial worthy of his honorable sacrifice.

Didn't have a PC die yet, but I'm planning if their health is low enough, I'll have bgm of a heart beating and slowly make it louder the closer to death they are then stop it once they die.

>How do you handle character death?
Like candy.

Raise Dead and similar spells mean that if the PCs die there is typically going to be a way for the party to restore them assuming nothing like a TPK is happening.

Heavy duty resurrection magic is much less common but occasionally a high priest will restore a champion of legend to life for divine reasons.

Death is still a big deal and most NPCs don't have the expectation of endlessly coming back from the dead.

For most people they have no desire to be restored to life if they've gone onto become a petitioner in service of their chosen deity.

>Tired of 3.5
>Decide to check out 5e
>Looks good so f-
>Bards have 9th level spell casting
>Spells are basically the same shit as 3.5

What the fuck?

Have you tried not being a complete retard?

I promise you it won't be as cool as you think it is.

>Spells are basically the same shit as 3.5
It might look that way on the surface, but everything changes when you keep concentration in mind.

Now that I think about it, probably.

Oh okay, I was beginning to suspect 5e was just another 3.5 homebrew.

Got a story just for that

>Party is boarding a boat to save some captives
>Enemy wizard slaver leader standing at the front of the boat casting spells.
>Friendly monk decides to use Fist of Unbroken Air. Wizard fails his Strength Save spectacularly, launched 20ft off the boat.
>Both his focus and spellbook fall off his person and sink into the water, irretrievable
>MFW I'm the party Wizard that just yelled 'I need that book!' and would have gotten lightning bolt for free.

Other than that, nothing else to report.

The power differentials between casters and non-casters are dramatically reduced in 5e vs 3.x/PF.

There are still some so if absolute balance is your goal then 4e might be a better fit but there is way way less casters rule martials drool going on mainly because the spell list has most of the same spells but the effects are dramatically reduced outside of a few egregious examples.

High level casters can still become extremely powerful but they are rarely gamebreakingly powerful and for the levels most people tend to play at 1-12 the balance is generally okay.

what are some interesting backgrounds/plothooks to kickstart characters into CoS?

You know, getting a good grasp of the rulebook would be a good thing to do before you pass judgement.

Rate my homebrew custom class, /5eg/.

I just played my first TTRPG ever, a session of 5e. Pretty fun.

>High level casters can still become extremely powerful but they are rarely gamebreakingly powerful and for the levels most people tend to play at 1-12 the balance is generally okay.

That's not a good thing, this means that 5e has the same issues as 3.5/PF. I'd like to play one game past level 12 without having to worry about having full spell progression.

How to handle a player using wish to wish another PC dead?

5e is really well-balanced. The only bad classes are Elemental Monks (the other sorts are fine) and the default Rangers (but there's was an update that fixed them).

Bards are arguably the best class in the game, but Paladins and Fighters do the most damage at pretty much every level. Every class has its general niche.

>tfw favorite levels are 2-5 but everyone wants to go higher

Stop playing with assholes.

>take cursory glance at book
>immediately pass judgment based on preconceptions
Really gets that noggin rumblin away, don'it

Maybe use google to look up some good reviews of the system rather than read bits and pieces of the phb and then come to get clarification from an anonymous turkish coffee forum.

So what do you guys do to differentiate Gnomes and Halflings in your campaigns?

Are Halflings NotKender! or NotHobbits! and are Gnomes NotSteampunkTinkers!. Do either race show up much as PCs or NPCs?

Do they tend to be extremely stereotyped like most Halflings tend to be more or less Roma/Gypsy wagon/boat dwellers and Gnomes end up being fae tricksters or barely concealed Jewish stereotypes?

Do the Halflings and Gnomes have countries or cities or villages of their own or do they tend to be fully incorporated in a human dominated society?

I don't have gnomes in my campaigns.

We legit just pretend gnomes don't exist since my world's homebrew and nobody in my party has ever expressed any desire to play a gnome.

A major NPC is a halfling however.

Still allows a saving throw at the DC of the spell cast. If you want to punish the player makign the wish, have the wish inform him of who cast the spell/used the wish. "You feel a malevolent dark intent from X, as the ultimate magical power tries to snuff your life out. Roll a (will or fort) save."

stop/10

Look up biased reviews? Why?

No, look up some unbiased reviews.

like from an anonymous turkish coffee forum?

as opposed to dnd

no, go look in the opposite of places where you'd find biased reviews

If you are familiar with the 3.x tier system, outside of a few edge case white room builds the classes all exist pretty much in the 2.5-3.5 tier with the best classes getting up towards 2.5 and the worst classes being in the 3.5 range. UAs have made some improvements so that the most maligned classes (Ranger and Monk) have received unofficial support so that they are less mediocre.

There are some spells that should probably be Noped out of existence mainly because the wording on them is extremely prone to rules lawyering but they are pretty easy to spot and for the most part any internet forum will let you know where they are.

I think the biggest complaint with 5e isn't around combat effectiveness because Martials kick ass in 5e for the most part but around non-combat effectiveness because casters get access to world altering abilities that tend to be out of the reach of most martials.

But 5e doesn't have the issue where casters eliminate the need for a skill monkey and frankly good adventure design should give martials and casters plenty of time to shine in and out of combat.

It just seems like a stupid fucking spell. Like, don't casters get enough shit. A literal blank check to do whatever they want is just icing on the cake.

If only. Unfortunately the group is all my best friends and one edgy teen. The DM is a HUGE pushover, physically incapable of saying no and I know for a fact that as soon as the party wizard gets wish, he's gunning for my PC. (I was the person that foiled his plans to betray the party).

Usually, make a new character - but if there's resurrection magic in the game I allow myself three revives before they grow weary of this mortal coil and can no longer be called back.

We've been in a pretty difficult, brutal game recently where character death has been common. I'm sick of my current character (badly optimized, low health EK I've had since the start) but I made him too fucking good to die more than the one time we got ambushed by a dragon and he got the highest initiative so we couldn't spread out and avoid being AOOd. He is an old man. He longs for the sweet release of death...

Slavery is a big deal in my upcoming campaign, so much so I want to have a Background that is a Slave. What are some suggestions for how I can build this background, what features do you think would be interesting?

You really think /5eg/ is an unbiased information source?

Call yourself Django the Unchained

Sit the PVP dickhead down (I assume it's the edgelord teen) and say that a) PVP drama sucks and makes for a shit game and b) quit trying to make up for what is likely a shitty real world existence by being an alpha douchelord in a table top game.

Basically instead of dealing with passive aggressive shittiness with your own passive aggressive shittiness just deal with it out of character and amazingly enough your game will be so much better.

But spellcasters are almost always going to outshine martials at the highest levels of any tabletop game, because of the nature of magic.

Compared to 3.5/PF though, spellcasters in 5e are much weaker thanks to Concentration, and that most of the more powerful spells use that Concentration slot.

5e does have a problem with combat lasting too long at higher levels, but that's more-so due to number of dice being rolled by both DM and players and the math involved.

And arguably the only reason you want full spell progression is if your DM's plot takes you off the Material Plane.

You know how some groups have that one player that everyone else at the table bullies or makes fun of?

It's all in good fun, but I think there may be a pattern to it. Why does it feel like it's often the people that play half casters? Ranger even makes a lot of sense, since the base class is so lacking.

For my game, Gnomes are the shortest humanoid race, a good 6-12 inches shorter than a Halfling. And compared to Halflings - most of them being either merchants or farmers - Gnomes are scholars, historians, and the more 'intellectual' power base.

There's also far fewer Gnomes than Halflings in my setting, but that's due to other reasons.

Welcome to the club, friend. Hope you enjoy your stay.

The background is for my players. I'm the DM.

Honestly, what said. Also, considering he's an edgy teenager who probably thinks he's tough shit, talk directly to him about him. If he's still an edgy cunt, just fucking punch him.

Skipping the PHB does free up a lot of time for shitposting though

Paladins are hardly lacking.

If half-casters were often the jokes, it's either because

A) Edgy gish wannabes
B) Lawful stupids
C) Wants to be good at everything.

For us it's the guy who makes a ditzy tribal kid then tries to act like "because I have a high wisdom I'd totally know that" or try to twist it into his backstory on the spot.

Also subtly tries to metagame from time to time but I'm not having any of that shit at my table.

The normal use of Wish is to copy the effects of a spell of 8th level or below, without requiring any of that spell's components.

You can instead use it to produce an effect from a list in the PHB, or you can ask for something else but that's pretty much license for the DM to fuck you over the wording - it actually gives the example that wishing the villain was dead might just propel you forward in time to a point where they've died of old age, effectively removing you from the game. Also, if you do anything other than copy a spell there's a 33% chance you can never cast wish again.

Basically, I'm pretty certain the guy shouldn't be able to wish you dead. The closest equivalent is Power Word: Kill, another 9th level spell that kills without an attack roll or save but only works against a creature with less than 100 hit points. Wish shouldn't be able to do better than that spell, and if you present these arguments in a reasonable manner I think you should be safe from being wished to death.

It's a really complicated situation and I'm the only person it's directed at so the rest of the group just doesn't notice or doesn't care.

I pull pranks on his character in game all the time because he actively antagonizes mine. That's fun. I love banter and shit like that. What I don't love is when my PC is trying to break a wild, giant bat so that WE have something to ride in our upcoming raid and he uses telekinesis to try to throw me off while I'm way up in the air.

I have never once put his PC in harm's way and he does shit all the time that could potentially kill mine, as well as the party. I've talked to him about it and the DM and both just shrug it off because I don't throw a fit. I'd really rather not have to throw an autistic fit to get my way but it impedes my fun and breaks immersion when I'm having to allow my character to be abused so that I don't cause a party split.

Depends what kind of slavery it is. You might need two or more different 'slave' backgrounds to cover the difference between hard labour-type slavery, like mining or farming, and service slavery like cooking and cleaning.

Either way, the actual feature of a background usually gives the player a set of NPCs that they can interact with for information or favours, so in this case it could be slaves that the PC used to work with before they were sold to a different person, or something like that.

Next time he does something like that IC make it clear to your party members (Not him) That your character will not stay with the party so long as FAGGOT is in it. Have a back up character prepared.

Another thing you could do is when he is low on spells (used all his high level shit) go and kill him.

Good looks. They are the worst. Frustrating that they are the only race with an int bump by default.

Yeah, pretty much.

>I'm just going to cast wish, 'I wish you were dead'
That's an incredibly ineffective use of wish. By that level, you could easily resist it, and if they do itin your presence you could counterspell it or whatever.

They have a 1/3 chance of suffering severe sideeffects for using wish in that way.

There's a billion and one other ways to kill someone, so why wish of all things? Wish will probably cast disintegrate as a level 8 spell or something except as a charisma save except it has no range limit or line of sight requirement.

My dwarf druid just found a serpentine owl, what precausions should I make before using it as my flying mount?

Since you're a dwarf and a dwarf of natural things, inspect it thoroughly to make sure it is serpentine. Perhaps chip off a bit, sand it down into a slide and put it under cross polars to see if there's any olivine left in there, or look for alteration signs.

If it's cursed in any way, you'll be sure to know in this process.

Halfings are basically Hobbits and Gnomes are basically Keebler Elves. They seem distinct enough to me, especially because Hobbits tend to be personable and Gnomes tend to keep to themselves.

Screw them over with their poorly-worded Wish - it's unlikely they'll be smart enough to avoid loopholes if they're the kind of person who finds PvP amusing.
>I wish this guy was dead
>Okay, you're transported thousands of years into the future, he and everyone else you ever knew or met is long gone. Roll a new character.

Yeah next time he does something that could potentially kill you, go cap his ass.

>FLGS puts up LFG posting for 5e
>Oh hey I haven't played in ages
>RULES:
>No Multiclassing
>No UA
>No Feats
>No Optional Rules will be in play
>Core Races and Classes Only

Might as well say "No fun," holy shit.

To be more precise, olivine should show up as a range of second order birefringence colours if you get the thickness of the rock down to about 30~50 micrometres, serpentine should be pretty obvious as it will have no discernably obvious crystals and will look like a muddy mess. I mean, it's pretty much like mud anyway.

By the time you're half-way through doing all this, your DM will groan,and just tell you what you need to know to save themself from having to hear any more.

GOTTA GET BACK

BACK TO THE PAST

Even >AL is more charitable than that.

You don't need multiclassing, or UA, or even feats, but I would like to Disarm from time to time.

>Playing a PHB Ranger and disarmed a Spy to get my first rapier.

Signs of a bad DM.

1. Doesn't want to have things they don't understand
2. Nerfs martials by removing feats
3. Probably can't balance for shit because they don't know the system

Its real, that much I know for sure, but as for the saddling and riding of it more specifically

Eh. By a saddle and anything that comes with it, or make one, then just go.

There are a few things that can take something out of the air such as knocking a creature prone, but as long as you're not too high up the fall damage should be survivable.

You can always ask for a knowledge check or common sense check about how likely it is to fall off.

The most fall damage you can take is 20d6 or about ~70 damage, which won't instantly kill a level 5 or so druid.

WA-CHAH

How about you also try to get a firmer grasp of the rules instead of dribbling like an autistic retard.

To me sounds like a fun optimization exercise.

I can turn into birds at this point so I dont think falling will really be an issue

Honestly I get the idea of sticking to the very basics. No feats seems like a bit much, but I'd be fine with the rest. Nothing wrong with vanilla.

>multiclassing UA
>oathbreaker in general
So, oathbreaker 7, hexblade 13, what damage am I seeing?

Assuming Cursebringer, Hexblade Curse, extra attack from paladin 5, Lifedrinker, Aura of Hate, 20STR, 20CHA, Superior Pact Weapon (+2 one), maybe GWM from variant human, Staggering Smite, Burning Hex and enough time to setup the bonus actions.
>2(2d6+10d8+STR+PROF+2CHA+10)+4d6+CHA
>2(7+45+5+6+10+10)+14+5 avg.
or 185 avg. in combinations of slashing, necrotic, psychic and fire damage.

How does it compare to other lv20 maximum novas?
Nuclear druid need not apply.

Maybe try reading the whole book instead of telling us what a giant cockmongler you are next time?

Why the fuck is the edgy teen even playing with you all?

>badly optimized but I made him too fucking good to die
>He is an old man. He longs for the sweet release of death...

sounds like my -2 dex, -2 con divination wizard with lucky, i rolled awful stats and decided to go full meme with it but even then i don't want to just let him die without using my resources first so between shield, lucky and portent he's been surviving through all the unholy shit we've encountered. i just wanted it to die at first but now i need to wait until the right moment so i don't get called out for just letting him die with no fight.

i don't know if the dm is pulling his punches anymore or if honestly his shit can't hit through 8 and 16HP. he has been hit once and it KO'd him, barely surviving the instant kill clause, but only 3 things have gotten close enough to hitting him.

>How do you handle character death?
I haven't yet. New player. I love my wizard I'm playing right now and have big plans for him, so I would probably just weep uncontrollably.

Are rogues/rangers any good in 5e, and what weapons do they need to be packing?

New to this edition.

That's the best kind of wizard, though. Why would you want that to die? Are you a scrub?

Honestly? I don't really get the point of people planning out these big multi-class builds that go up through level 20 anyway.

Most of them don't start to "shine" until a handful of levels in, and I honestly doubt more than even one percent of all D&D games actually go to level 20.

I've found that making characters with deathwishes gives them some kind of bizarre untouchability.

I had a barb/fighter who constantly sought out the biggest, killiest shit in a fight and she survived multiple campaigns before she became too powerful to use.

Rogues are good, they use rapiers and shortbows for the most part. Arcane Trickster and Assassin are both quality choices.

Rangers are alright, just be sure to go Hunter. Beastmaster is a little underwhelming. They do good with a longbow, but I've heard that melee ranger is a viable build if you're into it.

They came from 3e/PF and their autism never left them.

How about the Thief archetype?

Plenty of them work at lower levels, and people don't plan it fully out to 20, they just extend 'and then after I get the important shit like uncanny dodge I'll just keep levelling rogue so I'll put barbarian5/rogue15' even though it's clear if you're going to be level 20 barbarian gets +4 to two stats going past 20 and that's ridiculous along with infinite rages
But because people keep saying
>level 20 builds
So I have to keep writing 'RogueX'

And even if you don't get to truly have uncanny dodge + extra attack until level 10, you're a barbarogue right from level 2 by character.

Though there are some faggots who think 'Oh I'd better not multiclass as a fighter or I'll never get my fourth attack at level 20'

Rangers should use the revised ranger UA.
Rangers have a bit of utility but for the most part the only awfully unique thing to them is hunter rangers get at-will AoE damage, otherwise you could just be a dex fighter, they're pretty similar.

Rogues are best at range with crossbows but can go in melee with certain set-ups. Overall they deal less damage unless you can get reaction attacks reliably, but they're more accurate against higher ACs and their utility is kind of nice, though a bard is a full caster and can rival that utility sometimes.

>I honestly doubt more than even one percent of all D&D games actually go to level 20.
Try less than a fraction of a percent.

I'd be surprised to hear that more that 100 D&D 5e games in the whole entire world that have been run since the game launched in 2014 have gone from first to twentieth level.

Thief relies on the DM to give you magic items to use that no one else in the party will want to use.

Almost all of my characters become suicidal eventually, and as soon as the DM catches on that, they just ignore me forever.

It's not fun.
dunno, an old fart pacifist with z e r o damage is not that fun in a party of murderhobos.

>I want this character to die
>Gonna meme it up in the interim, since I'm not autistic enough to just jump off a cliff when the session starts
>At this point my character is kinda doing well. Shit.

And then there's you
>HURR Y U NO KEP PLAYIN DIV WIZZURD

How do you improve the Sword Coast? What would you do to un-generic-ify it?

Turn it into Eberron

Anybody have "A Guide to Tyranny of Dragons"? The pdf suddenly disappeared from my computer somehow and I can't for the life of me track down where I originally downloaded it from.