Greek Mathematicians vs. German Engineers

another post made me think

since Germany is the best, richest, hardest-working, most respected country in Europe, and Greece is the least respected country in Europe, does this mean that German Engineers > Greek mathematicians (or any mathematician since it stems from greece)

I'm a math masters at caltech btw, no hate on math, but I feel like Engineering overall is a better field unless you have a passion for math like someone has a passion for a liberal art

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_objectification
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

oh I guess the USA has the most field medals, followed by France for math

No. France likely has the best mathematicians given their high standards and rigour for it at higher levels.

Engineering is a broad field with many possible options for the futher carrer.

>Greek mathematicians

Literally who? Polish mathematicians rank far above them.

They probably would if they hadn't been turk'd. Everyone else got a head start on their own civilization and culture of learning and surpassed them.

>nation role playing

I think what he means that usually mathematicians are said to be smarter than engineers but because greece is such an inferior country maybe their mathematicians are even worse than german engineers.

German Physicists > all

>le Greeks are lazy meme
I hate this. Greeks work more hours than any European country. they are fucked up thanks to cuckeservatives and their liberal policies

>Germany
>most respected country.
Fuck you. I hope I see Germany burn to the fucking ground. Greece is cool btw.

There are no more greek mathematicians because there are no more greeks. Modern 'greeks' are a mix of mostly turks with sparse greek ancerstors and others.

*German Jewish Physicists > all
you know it's true

>Germany is the best, richest, hardest-working, most respected country in Europe,

>lol Greece is so lazy
>actually have the longest average working hours of any European nation

In his defense there isn't much competition. Every other yuro country is inbred morons, alcoholics or regressive as fuck in the name of "progressiveness"

This is incorrect on both counts. Greeks have produced notable scientists, mathematicians and engineers despite their economic predicament and greatly reduced population and worldwide influence after the Ottoman menace. The "Greeks are Turks" is an /int/ meme, so not much more to say on that.

Well, yeah, jews have the highest IQ of any race, so it's not surprising.

BUT Mercedes, BMW, Audi, VW and Porsche HEAVILY outperform Peugeot, Citroën and Renault.

Combining two stereotype memes together doesn't make either of them more true.

It's meaningless to compare European states and people of ancient times with modern times states and people. Population shifts changed the gene pools of the countries drastically in the last two thousand years, together with huge cultural evolutions especially in central Europe.

>progresiveness is regressive
I hear this sometimes, can you explain it?

Not him, but a lot of so-called progressives support values and policies that we outgrew in the past with a lot of effort.

Like the sex-negativity policies of the modern feminist movement. Or the open enthusiastic support for Islam with it's medieval tier treatment of women and LGBT people and general codified bigotry. Or the revival of identity politics, i.e. not seeing race is considered racist now and people should be treated differently based on race and ethnicity.

Switzerland is better in everything you've listed. Also we have Euler.
Huere gopferdammi siech.

Mind if I point out some flaws there might be with that idea?

>German (((engineering)))
lmao guys let's make an assembly with low tolerances to do the same function of an off the shelf part

Sure, do what you must.

>Greek
>Siesta

Greeks don't speak Spanish

Alright, please point out if I'm wrong in any of the assumptions I make here.

>Like the sex-negativity policies of the modern feminist movement.
-If you're concerned about regressivism, wouldn't this kind of thing be positive?
-I'm not really aware of these policies. Would you be able to sauce that this is indeed something that many liberals are in favor of?

>Or the open enthusiastic support for Islam with it's medieval tier treatment of women and LGBT people and general codified bigotry.
-As far as I'm aware, the initial western predisposition to islam was full on war (and vice versa), so liberals' current attitude would be the opposite of regressive.
-The only islamic sect with principles that could be described as misogynistic is wahhabism, and the only reason that it has any influence in the islamic world is because it is fuelled by ruling dynasty of the country with the second largest production of oil (Saudi Arabia). They have a lot of money. If you removed this enormous distortion, islam would become a lot more liberal.
-Minor point: it was mainly europe which had poor treatment of women in the medieval ages. In this time, the islamic world's attitude to women was the more liberal one.

>Or the revival of identity politics, i.e. not seeing race is considered racist now and people should be treated differently based on race and ethnicity.
Maintaining political ethnicity-blindness is preferable when recognition of ethnicities would only result in the opening up of might-is-right ethnicity politics. If instead recognition of ethnicities can be approached with humility and cooperation, it may be possible for a given nation with a majority ethnicity to prevent in-group favoritism within the majority, which would arguably be preferable for the nation as a whole, as it would become more meritocratic, and thus more economically efficient.
-I've never seen liberals reacting to lack of ethnicity recognition with accusations of racism. Can you source this?

>If you're concerned about regressivism, wouldn't this kind of thing be positive?
No why would I want to return to puritanism? Sexual freedom is a great achievement.

>I'm not really aware of these policies. Would you be able to sauce that this is indeed something that many liberals are in favor of?
Please don't inflate the terms liberal and progressive.
The sex negative policies are mostly based on sexual objectification theory: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_objectification
A mainstream line of thought in the modern feminist movement and subsequently leftist parties in the western world and a cause for major outrage on all sides.

>As far as I'm aware, the initial western predisposition to islam was full on war (and vice versa), so liberals' current attitude would be the opposite of regressive.
The ideology of Islam itself is regressive. And you seem to confuse "regressive" with "reactionary".

>The only islamic sect with principles that could be described as misogynistic is wahhabism,
I suggest you read the Hadith.
And gender based inequality is a mainstream part of Islam: 1.1 billion Muslims out of 1.6 billion Muslims on earth think sharia should rule and it includes such fun parts as women being unable to divorce men without their consent while men can do it whenever they feel like it; wife beating being allowed an encouraged; in case of rape a woman's witness counts half of a man's; marriage and intercourse with pre-pubescent girls is allowed; no women in politics; etc. etc.

>and the only reason that it has any influence in the islamic world is because it is fuelled by ruling dynasty of the country with the second largest production of oil (Saudi Arabia). They have a lot of money. If you removed this enormous distortion, islam would become a lot more liberal.
Maybe, but currently it's not.

It is truly embarrassing to watch math majors try and communicate ideas about anything that isn't math.

What's worse is you'd think someone doing a masters in math would at least know something about making a coherent argument. Let me point out a single flaw of the many: who the fuck would compare mathematicians to engineers. It makes no sense.

And whats EVEN WORSE is the idiots in this thread that honestly think a question of this sort can be answered.

Fuck off

>No why would I want to return to puritanism? Sexual freedom is a great achievement.
Fair enough, I agree that it is.

>Please don't inflate the terms liberal and progressive.
I admit that I thought these terms were used interchangeably (I think the term is conflate). I don't really hear these terms used that much. Would you be able to summarise their respective views?

>The sex negative policies are mostly based on sexual objectification theory: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_objectification
>A mainstream line of thought in the modern feminist movement and subsequently leftist parties in the western world and a cause for major outrage on all sides.
Like I was saying, I'm not aware of this catching on outside of feminism. If I am wrong I hope you can show this, as always.

>The ideology of Islam itself is regressive. And you seem to confuse "regressive" with "reactionary".
-The definition of regressive is returning to a previous less developed state. I think this was fairly clear, I'm not sure why you thought I was using the term to mean "reactionary".
-Islam in practice actually used to be fairly liberal for its time, with wahhabism starting in the 19th century and gaining influence in the middle of the 20th century. So the turn to what looks to us like excessive conservatism is actually the opposite of regression for islam.

>I suggest you read the Hadith.
Many religions have extreme sections of scripture which become outdated and have to be reconciled (made irrelevent) with theology in order for the religion to remain teneble in the contemporary world. I could ask you to read Leviticus in order to understand modern christianity, but do you think that part of the bible is relevant to the lives of christians? Was it more relevant in the past? Is there a correlation between the developmental stage of a country and the relevance within it of such aspects of religion?

(1/3)

>marriage ... with pre-pubescent girls is allowed
This appears to only be an issue in parts of subsaharan africa and around the bangladesh region, and seems to predate islam. It looks like a case of sharia law being interpreted to fit preexisting practices.

>1.1 billion Muslims out of 1.6 billion Muslims on earth think sharia should rule and
The application of sharia law varies widely around the world, and is often misrepresented at times when talked about in the west. There is no ubiquitous system of sharia law - sharia simply means that parts of the law are derived from sections of islamic scripture. In many places the legal system remains fairly liberal overall.

(2/3)

>it includes such fun parts as women being unable to divorce men without their consent while men can do it whenever they feel like it
>no women in politics
>And gender based inequality is a mainstream part of Islam
>wife beating being allowed an encouraged
These are not laws across the islamic world. But culturally, these things used to hold sway in christian countries:
Titus 2:5 - "To be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled."
I Corinthians 13:34 - “Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak"
Ephesians 5:22-24 - “Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord."
I Timothy 2:12-14 - “But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.”
But the west now has much better gender equality. Nations shouldn't be and don't end up being chained to their cultural foundations. As a country industrialises, and its people become educated, they tend to improve upon these things. The middle east is at a stage of this process that we were at a long time ago. I hope they can overcome the current chaos so that they can resume their development.

>That infographic
The data for that image was taken in 2013, right after the height of the arab spring (see pic related). Studies have shown that when people perceive themselves to be at great external threat, they tend towards political authoritarianism and start to see strict rules for society as a positive. Take this in the context of the middle east's middle stage of educational development, factor in omnipresent pull of political wahhabism, and you may start to see how a civilization can end up having a poll with results like this.

(3/3)