Vitamin d supplement

Should I purchase vitamin d and take them everyday. I live in the UK.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24949966
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No, unless youre vegan and never leave your house.

the majority of people are deficient, even if they eat meat and go outside

so yes op you should supplement

Yes, go for atleast 5000 IU. Vitamin D is dirt cheap anyway

Considering how cheap they are you might as well.

The only food you will get at least some vitamin D is fish (mushrooms, eggs, etc. give you too way too little). Farmed salmon has like 250 IU of vitamin D per 100 g (3.5 oz), regular salmon 1000 IU. Fortified milk might have some depending on your country but probably not anywhere near enough.

You need around 2500 IU per day minimum. Your body mages 10 000 to 25 000 IU per day if you get enough sunlight (which you won't, regardless of where you live, because you most likely live in a house).

The dose doesn't really matter all that much but your blood levels. You can get those measured if you want. 125 nmol/L (= 50 ng/ml) is preferable.

Also, see graph.

What about Calcium? Since milk is full of hormones and estrogen, I've been staying away from milk as it can close my growth plates? Is it worth it to take calcium supplements?

Get a multivitamin with vit d

Go away troll

If you are white, have a moderately balanced diet and spend at least an hour a day in the winter outdoors with your face exposed, no.

Yes, unless you want to be a drug addict with skin cancer.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24949966

Don't take calcium unless you are taking vitamin and D and magnesium too. D and magnesium make your body able to uptake calcium--if you just take calcium, you don't absorb it, and it can build calcifications in your tissues. Best to take the cofactors and get calcium in your diet alone.

Yes take D. We were meant to be outside far more than we are. Some interesting studies were done around immunology, vitamin D and influenza. It's possible that flu seasons are more tied to lower D levels than other seasonality factors.

Go to your doctor and ask for a blood test to check for Vitamin D deficiency.
He will tell you what to do next depending on your deficiency level.

According to what study does wintertime sunlight for one hour produce any measurable vitamin D ?

UV index should be over 3 to get a meaningful vitamin D synthesis.

Also, why would a balanced diet help? You don't get any meaningful amounts of vitamin D from any foods other than fish. Even fish doesn't cut it unless half of your food is fish and you maxed your summertime vitamin D storage from the Sun.

For example, if you eat 1 kilo of beef/chicken, you get 1 microgram of vitamin D (you'd need 50-150 mcg/day for optimal health). 1 kg of cheese might give you 5 mcg. 40 eggs a day would give you almost 50 mcg. Diet just isn't enough.

According to two studies, people in the UK have blood levels of 12,5 ng/ml - 15 ng/ml in winter. 30-40 ng/ml would be good and 50 ng/ml even better.

After the test, I suggest you read up on the latest studies on what the optimal serum values are because most doctors will simply say anything over 10 ng/ml is enough. Yeah, for preventing rickets but not for preventing cancer.

If you google "calcium supplements heart" you will find numerous studies implying calcium intake (from supplements) might be related to heart disease.

Someone already suggested it has to do with calcium going into wrong places if you are missing cofactors which is very likely true. I'd suggest getting enough vitamin K and vitamin K2 when supplementing with calcium. Calcium/Magnesium ratio of 1.6:1 might be optimal for health. Too much of either is connected to increased mortality.

Pic related.

Looks like your risk of influenza-like infection is lowered to summertime levels if you get enough vitamin D.

The calcium is implicated in aiding the formation of the plaques that clog the arteries. The best thing is to just get it from dairy products, especially raw milk that has been produced in a clean, safe environment

> Microsoft Office

Definitely as a non-white.
Probably even as a euro, there's not even enough sun in England for pasty folk.

Sorry brah. Das fish oil.

I thought 400 IU D3 every day was enough

Maybe 5000 IU if you're taking D2?

I like taking vitamin D and fish oil every day.

Enough for preventing rickets, yeah.

Enough for anything else, nope.

You need around 4000 IU per day to get to 50 ng/ml.

Nah I'm talking about D3, some people even go as high as 10000 IU without side effects. A thing I noticed after starting D3 supplementation is that I sleep a lot less and wake up more rested

Getting sunlight reduces inflammation due to immunoregulatory effects from UV damaged cells. Also the melanocortin system reduces blood pressure IIRC.

This thread is fucking retarded

You sound cranky Mr.! I think you need to take your D3s!