The most abundant source of free energy

Hear me out: The Earth's spin is the most abundant source of free energy we could harness. It wouldn't be easy, but it would definitely be worthwhile.

All we would need is something independent of the Earth's rotation on one of the poles. Like a giant gyroscope on the North pole, for instance. Then we just put a generator there and run a cable from there to somewhere else on the globe. We can even output the electricity using the cable!

Why don't we do this, Veeky Forums? It's free energy.

Other urls found in this thread:

mb-soft.com/public2/earthrot.html
rilhas.com/Documentos/EarthRotationalEnergy_006.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

JESUS CHRIST YOU'RE A JENIUS

>It's free energy.
huh really gets the neurons firing

Gyroscopes aren't "independent" of Earth's rotation. They rotational motion just contains a whole bunch of linear momentum of material points which makes it so it hates changing positions.

Every gyroscope will stop working with time and force applied. You can ideally get about as much energy out of it as you put into rotating it.

There is no free energy. Harnessing Earths rotation for energy production could be possible, but if you found a way to do it you would be slowing Earths rotation ever so slightly to obtain said energy, effecting the length of days, and changing climates everywhere. It would probably be worse for the environment than CO2 emissions in the long run.

We could harness energy from Mars and Venus then, since we don't give a shit about those faggots

How would you get it back to Earth?

Broscience fags GTFO. If you really think human power consumption is enough to slow the Earth down even 1% over the course of 100 years you are officially reddit.

We already harness tiny amounts of energy as we launch rockets and satellites into space.

Why would we want to do that OP when renewable resources are gaining so much momentum already? We don't need something overly complicated and unfeasible when we already have plenty of solutions.

It's just that capitalism is shit and we have business people that are financially motivated to resist the change as long as possible to increase quarterly gains.

See Trump.

You are assuming we would be 100% efficient at harnessing the Earths rotation, and that our energy demands arent going to skyrocket as technology advances, AND that slowing Earths rotation even a fraction of a percent wouldnt have a huge impact on the gulf stream, jet stream, and even our ability to keep track of time over hundreds of years.

SHUT YOUR FUCKING HOLE BROSCIENCE FAG YOUR A FUCKING BRAINLET PIECE OF SHIT KYS HARD BITCH

>muh Trump
Meanwhile, in reality - Trump's working with Congress to push through legislation that would dramatically increase investment in new nuclear plants, which will do far more for American alternative energy infrastructure than the Democrats accomplished in the last eight years with all their taxes, regulations, and 'carbon credits'.

Lets see proof that im wrong instead of

>IM SO BUTTBLASTED REDDIT GTFO

Without any proof that constrasts my statement youre viewpoint is no more accurate than mine.

Kek. You are like some futuristic climate science denier.

> I'm conservative and, as long as I am making money, there are no consequences to anything that I do!

>bringing up politics here
>pushing something off for a few hundred years is the same thing as pushing something off for literally hundreds of millions of years
If we ever got to that point, we would've generated enough energy to easily get to and harness other planets energy.

You must be scientifically illiterate if you think adding a few seconds on to the day in exchange for free energy would be a bad deal. I mean that's really an embarrassing thing to believe.

Still no proof to the contrary.

>the burden of proof lies with those making a claim

We are both making a claim. Mine seems more logical and sensible than the one coming from the guy claiming "free energy hurr durr".

>the burden of proof lies with those making a claim
Fallacy. It's extremely simple math to estimate the energy we would have to harness to add a single second to the length of a day, and frankly the amount is so inconceivably small that it's a needless chore to do the math yourself. This guy already did it anyway:

>mb-soft.com/public2/earthrot.html
>I would point out here that this amount of "spinning energy" of the Earth is around 60 thousand million times that TOTAL ELECTRIC USAGE of all Americans for an entire year! And at least a billion times ALL the energy that has EVER been created and used by humans!

We would add significantly less time to the day per year than is already naturally added by the moon. It's simply a non-factor.

it ends up being very big for the amount of power produced:
rilhas.com/Documentos/EarthRotationalEnergy_006.html

and solar power ends up being cheaper

Wouldn't the cabling be an issue?

Rather un-hospitable up that way. Construction and housing would be brutal. Then there's all the maintenance, either in the sun all the time or not at all.

And I don't see what you could build to tap that rotation. And slowing down the earth might not matter at first: until it went exponential. Problem with exponential curves is that they will NOT stabilize. Exponential curves continue to exponentiate between "subjective" measurements and predictions. This is why scientists are continually "stunned" by recent weather events and records (3 straight hottest years on record is a visible presentation of an exponentiating exponential increase in the frequency, duration and intensity of catastrophic weather events).

What should be shocking and surprising: that it isn't worse already (though wwiii would certainly do some serious damage to the environment and weather).

guys hear me out

ANIMALS BREATHE

what if we put tiny windmills in every animal's mouth and we generated energy from them? we'd have unlimited energy in no time.

Better solution is to put conducting cables in low earth orbit, then have them move across the earth's magnetic field, thus charging them.

If I wasn't desperate for nuclear energy to be pushed again I'd be pissed Trump is the one doing it. Anything he touches will drive people the other way right into the hands of greedy Saudi oil companies.

>Humans are powerful enough to slow down the spin of a 5,972,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg celestial body to a noticeable degree
How fucking retarded are you people?

Did you even read my post? I said it will take literally hundreds of millions of years. I just entertained his idea for a second.

>Did you even read my post?
No

copper wires dumbass!

I already said the cabling could all be apart of the tether that's already attached to the gyroscope and another place on earth.

Come on Veeky Forums, let's put our heads together and make this a real thing!

We can already send shockwaves through the entire earth, fag.

Why couldn't we slow down the earth?

You must really lack a conceptual understanding of how large the Earth is, and seriously overestimate how powerful we are as a species on a celestial scale. It's embarrassing, really.

We've developed the technology (all the atomic bombs in the world) to literally send the world into an ice age over night if we chose to.

Checkmate

would this work Veeky Forums

I have done the math

P=2,16*10^22*2*π
P=1,57079637*10^18 (W)
==>output 1,5 Quadrillion kw

Troll science thread?

The only relevant and attainable source of functionally infinite energy is a planned economy.

Would not work. We don't have that much wire.

Even a smaller wire we couldn't protect from radiation or have it be stationary.

We would experience enormous resistivity by trying to move that low voltage so large distances.

Never going to happen. Space sun-panels (solar panels for retarded) might work.

>literally EmDrive

well done

I know you're trolling but all the atom bombs in the world would barely move the Earth an inch, regardless of what it does to the surface-level climate.

badly done

This.

Hmmm this gives me an idea...

Hence why all the religious leaders are headed to the south pole. Look it up

But you believe we affect the atmosphere right?

That has nothing to do with anything.

a giant gyroscope giving us free energy would probably help with climate change

but maybe it would fuck with wind currents and shit i dunno.

I think you're seriously overestimating our influence as well