What is it like to be a social scientist ?

What is it like to be a social scientist ?

Im studying communication science and as most students I thought I wanted to work in journalism/marketing/something like that.

But there is this Quantitative Methods in the Social Sciences' professor who asked me if I ever thought about doing research (because im le class' smart kid). Obviously I never did, I thought I would probably end up writing for a shitty online newspaper or working at McDonalds.

I would probably end up doing paper work to start but I think it would be a good experience even if I totally fail at it.

Most students dont like him because they say he is too strict (and most of them dont give a fuck about methodology because they just want to be journalists) but he is a really cool dude and also very respectable (he's a sociologyst, he has a PhD, hes written many books, he sometimes appears on tv, he is not a sjw, his cv is like 10/10).

>pls dont make this a meme thread quantitative sociology is the less memeish social science desu

Other urls found in this thread:

r-project.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

also my professor doesnt know i like animu waifus desu

desu bump

From what I gather from my one friend doing his PhD in sociology (at top program too)

>begging for funding some silly research idea that will never actually contribute anything
>collecting survey data and doing stats

>But there is this Quantitative Methods in the Social Sciences' professor who asked me if I ever thought about doing research (because im le class' smart kid). Obviously I never did, I thought I would probably end up writing for a shitty online newspaper or working at McDonalds.

>I would probably end up doing paper work to start but I think it would be a good experience even if I totally fail at it.

Go for it. I know Veeky Forums hates the soft sciences, but the world needs more people who actually give a fuck about building a rigorous understanding of them.

the shitty part is that i would have to learn statistics but w.e

thanks user

also im not a sjw neither is my professor, he doenst do 'le white man is bad' '''''science''"''

Statistics is dank as hell. Go fuck yourself.

i didnt say statistics are shit.

i said it was shitty that i would have to learn them (aka i dont want to study)

Statistics is as fundamental to the scientific method as experiments are, because it enables you to verify if experimental results are consistent with your theoretical model.
There is not a single branch of science -- natural or social -- that can eliminate the need for using statistics.
This is especially true for social science, where the models have much smaller precision (the variation in human behavior is an order of magnitude larger than the variation in the behavior of atoms) that can only be compensated by greater finesse in the use of statistical techniques for isolating causal factors (e.g., instrumental variable estimation).

Fuck you OP, how dare you sully Karen with your low intellect.

>doesn't like statistics
>wants to do social science research

Statistics is the only thing sociology has going for them, it's how you can read a sociology paper and filter the ideological bullshit to see what the actual findings (if any) are.

I didnt say I didnt like statistics m9 stop being such a faggot. I said it would suck to have even more things to study than I already do, I didnt say anything about statistics being shit. kys

>communications/sociology major
>a lot of work
>throwing a temper tantrum like a 5 year old

And you want to go into academia?

I have a shit ton of reading to do, also because Im not a faggot so I take more classes than le average lulciology/communication student.

Fuck off m9 Karen is mine

That seems hard m9 you are scaring me

>What is it like to be a social scientist ?

I'm having fun and I'm only an undergrad.

Quantitative social science can be an extremely deep and satisfying field if you know where to look.

Quantitative SS opens up re-examination of such fundamental questions about civilization and society in amazing ways - like for example, a lot of economists are starting to create computer simulations of social systems and a lot of them have revealed parallel structures between social and ecological systems. Or how new game theory models show how the success of agriculture at the dawn of civilization might have been due to the simultaneous adoption of property rights. Or statistical analyses that show how globalization might be making wars more localized rather global.

This stuff is just the tip of the iceberg. I love this shit.

All these statistics, graphs and computer made models really scare me, is it hard to learn all that stuff ?

It'll be hard sometimes for sure, but you need to just love the subject. It'll give you better tools for understanding your field and IMO, its worth it

Does everyone use the same softwares for doing le research or will I have to learn a new software everythime I start a new project ?

desu

Do social/soft sciences have room for hard science graduates to come do research? I've always been fascinated/intrigued by things like anthropology, linguistics, and sociology since high school, but didn't like how they replaced maths with memes.
I'm tired of my applied maths major and would like to do something more interesting than glorified ultratheoretical CS research with my life.

As a stats msc I should be happy to see more people interested in the field, but I just know you social science retards are just gonna fuck it up like 80% of your field that still don't know what a p-value is. I cannot wait to read your papers someday modeling political ideology patterns with a multinomial distribution.

That said, you guys are still not as bad as biologists.

I think any social scientist will think you are a living meme for thinking that you are worth just because you have a stem degree. Probably 99% would just hate stem people because they always act like they are superior.

>stem
>virgin
>thinks he is better than anyone

My undergrad had a sociologist who did her undergrad in physics.

One of our music theory professors also had a bachelors in chem.

As others said, it can be a really good field, very interesting topics (you can basically do research on everything you want) BUT you will have to spent a lot of time learning statistics if you want to do a good job.

Did you ever attend a statistics course? If not, do at least an introductory one. Quantitative methodology is also really important. I'd recommend reading something like "Introduction to Survey Quality" (Paul Biemer). Not to forget about software needed. I personally use R cause it's free and can do pretty much anything cause it's basically a programming language. There are other options available though.

If you're willing to spend a lot of time learning math and methods, by all means do it. It's a lot of work though. Even "small things" like dealing with missing values require a ton of statisical knowledge.

what is "R"

I will start studying statistics in my free time

music theory lul

desu

Holy shit R is free?

I've been wasting my time with STATA then

m9s tell me what are R and STATA

>m9
It's not funny, it's irritating

NOTHING IN LIFE IS IMPOSSIABLE YOU'RE GOING TO WORK HARD AT IT DONT LET YOUR DREAMS BE DREAMS

I asked if it was hard, not if it was impossible desu

how many statistics classes would you realistically need to take? like 2 or 3?

babby

it'd be best if he took as many as possible. the more advanced your stats, the more complex questions you are able to tackle

>statistics is hard wahhh

Kek maybe you should just stick to your communication """"" science""""" field, brainlet.

I didnt say it was hard. I actually asked if it was hard.

>found the stem virgin that thinks he is superior but cant even properly read one sentence.

desu bump

To be honest m8 with the attitude you've shown ITT you're probably not cut out for anything more than cookie cutter arts major trash. I can see you maybe picking up an intro to stats book, getting frustrated at all the jargon and just giving up after a few days. Whatever your professor saw in you was just false hope and it's very unlikely your foray into an actually challenging academic field given your experience in a literal meme major has a very high probability of failure. Enjoy the fry cook job.

>smart kid
>in social science
Congrats on being the king tard
Wew lad

Im not worth just because I asked out of curiosity if stats is hard. What a meme.

Im sure your meme detector is better than my professor's who invited me to do le research xDxDdxDddDdD desu

>being the king tard
So, according to your logic, Plato was a retard.

*king tard
And no you're not comparable to Plato who was a great philosopher for not having many resources

I didnt say I was near Plato's level, but your reply (>smart kid >in social science) implies that anyone who doesnt do stem cant be smart (and is retarded) thus Plato's retarded by your logic.

what software is that

NetLogo

I know you're triggered but it was said in jest
Retard

For his time, Plato was a technically a mathematician.
Philosophy and maths were essentially merged in ancient greece, in fact the place where plato taught had a sign reading "Let none ignorant of geometry enter".

R and Stata are programs that allow you to perform statistical analysis on a professional level. It includes pretty much anything anyone could ever think of. There are packages for everything, seriously.

Take a look yourself: r-project.org/

>social science
>science

on topic: no clue

I hate stata with a passion

Good thing that is in my past now.

I don't like it either. I see absolutely no reason to use stata over R or python.

python LUL

kys

Anybody here? I have a question.

Yes, if you want to do an econ PhD you'll be more than welcome and will honestly have an easier time than if you had done a BA in economics.

Yeah I second this, nowadays a BA in econ will put you behind a stats or math BSc for econ grad school, it's pretty funny desu.