Time to end the debate

What is Veeky Forums's favorite circle constant? and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/naftaliharris/tauthon
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Cherry pie delicious nigga

Yo but Tau makes more sense tho?

Tau is superior but realistically it's not going to replace pi anytime soon if ever.

I've never understood why people get so animated over "pi vs tau"

>Dude what if we replaced 2 with 4

One is just double the other. It's the same shit. There's no reason to choose one over the other.

>But dude it's more beautiful

That's subjective and pointless. There's no fucking difference to having one over the other. And yet there are so many spergs demanding we overhaul our entire system convention because they like 2*pi more than pi.

Tau puts things in terms of radians so that tau radians is one cycle. That's what makes it more workable in that context.

I just think that context matters. If you're working with radians, tau is easier. If you're wanting to express a circular area, pi is easier. For circumference, you can either use pi*d or tau*r. The parameters d and r are interchangeable, so I see no problem with tau and pi having the same relationship, with the easier one to use being chosen based on the context.

I'm so deep into writing [math] 2 \pi [/math] at this point that I can't imagine writing [math] \tau [/math] in most cases.

Imagine writing [math] \tau \hbar [/math]. It just looks terrible.

>let 2 equal 4

Also if you move from pi to tau, for every instance where you get to use tau instead of 2*pi, there's an instance where you have to use tau/2 instead of pi

>not using theta in place of pi and pi in place of theta.
>not using i for e and e for i
Gg brainlets

Who the fuck cares?

This

This is the kind of discussion "lol I fucking love science! XD" people would have -- it's pointless and retarded. If you want to use tau and tau is universally recognized as 2 * pi or whatever the fuck, then go ahead and use tau. Stupid cunt

github.com/naftaliharris/tauthon is sure cooler than Python

It should be τ. π makes no sense. Ιt is much more intuitive to write things using τ. But I don't think the notation is ever gonna change.

You can always write (2π) in parentheses. e.g. π/4 + k (2π)

If you actually need the exact value of pi, and not its value up to a rational multiplicative factor, then you're not doing math; you're doing meaningless stamp collecting.

I prefer pi/3, which I represent with symbol ~, thus pi can be written as ~3 , tau as ~6, 60 degrees as ~1, etc.

Programmers hate him!

kek
freaking engineers

Why not just use both? I mean they are both widely accepted as having the correct values, so just use the one that looks the best.

Ebin
:DDDDDDDD

or you know, what about just [math]h[/math]?

brainlet

What is [math]\Phi[/math]?

It's the faggot function

We stick to π.

Or are we going to call pizza as halftauzza?

i > j

Actually, it's supposed to be o because it's Oiler's constant.

22/7.

Tau is shear stress, mathtards

You mean u for uler's constant, right?

[math]\Phi=\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}\approx1.62[/math]

it seeds all, especially 's ass

pretty much this and if anything [math]2\pi[/math] looks better and is easier to type than [math]\frac{\tau}{2}[/math] especially when it comes to superscripts

I believe in the superiority of τ but write it as 2π.

ideally we would all use tau but pi is the meme. if you introduced tau in a report you would be required to tell the reader what it was. pi is ubiquitous.

tau is literally only better w/r/t the unit circle, but plebs don't realize that when describing a circle as a function, two functions must be used: one for the top half, and one for the bottom, and thus, since pi describes the semicircle in radians, it is better for use when representing the true patrician double-semi-circle

what if a circle with circumference tau is not so fundamental as a circle missing two diametrically opposed points which would then have two fundamental unit of length pi instead of one of length tau? Also, what about transformations like

[math] \hat 2:\,\pi\to\tau[/math]

that turn each disconnected arc between the two null points into its own new circle with or without extra null points.

Has there been any research done on the partitioning of R by the equivalence relation defined as follows:
x ~ y iff a*x = y for some a in Q
With this sort of structure, transcendentals like pi and tau are considered equivalent.