>""poetry"" without rhyme

Other urls found in this thread:

perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.02.0074:book=1:card=5
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This
>le all poetry must be short romantic lyric poems

>frogpost without substance

>yfw you will never appreciate Ted Hughes

What if I tell you that this mother fucker wrote a full epic Homeric style writing poem that rhymes the same way the whole book?

>speaking Portuguese

Am i the only one who thinks homer is unreadable shit?

>am I the only one who thinks that the specific translation of Homer I read is unreadable shit?
Probably not. No translation of Homer is good, anyone who claims to have enjoyed them in translation is lying.

Learn Greek.

How long would it take me to learn Greek to a sufficient level to be able to read Homer?

>Rebel against Spaniards
>Rape them countless times
>Achieve independence
>Still manage to develop a better language

If you studied every day, I'd guess a year or two

Fuck that. No point wasting all that effort on a dead language just to read some poetry

>"...rhyme being no necessary adjunct or true ornament of poem or good verse, in longer works especially, but the invention of a barbarous age, to set off wretched matter and lame meter; graced indeed since by the use of some famous modern poets, carried away by custom, but much to their own vexation, hindrance, and constraint to express many things otherwise, and for the most part worse than else they would have expressed them."

>chips without salsa
>peanut butter without jelly
>yin without yang

Are you really dense or what? It's a completely different language what answer did you expect? Yeah dude, you can be fluent in ancient greek in five to six hours top

Yes i'm dense. That's why i'm still going on this dumb fucking website

>'posting' without quality

The art of posting on Veeky Forums consists entirely of composing the lowest quality posts possible. To post on Veeky Forums is to inhabit and fully explore the anatomy of the archetypal autistic mind. It is a socially uninhibited excavation of the most retarded realms of the collective psyche, that we may pluck from its chaos the most sublime shitposts that await us ripe in those flailing, antediluvian corners of abyssal faggotry.

Are you really that dumb?
If you go for a comedic and short poem, cool, but rhymes don't go very well with drama or romance in the mayority of the cases.

>'poetry' without alliteration

No. There are billions of morons just like you.

>'poetry' without parallelism

>pseud alert
>pseud who's never read Chapman

Many times rhymes are simply cliché and shit and stuff

Is this the best translation? Wordsworth Classics?

It's time to to end them, we've had enough

>Reading for enjoyment

It is if you're looking for a free translation that works well in English (as opposed to an accurate one that comes across as stilted.) Chapman was a first-rate poet, though this can make him dense and difficult at times.

But don't take my word for it - ask Keats ("Much have I travelled in the realms of gold ...")

The Wordsworth editions are pretty good, with lots of explicatory footnotes. They're the ones I read anyway.

go to bed John

>reading any kind of poetry which is not Dante's Comedy in the original Italian
lmao just give up on literature

I'm with you, OP. I never enjoyed a poem that has no rhyme. I don't give a fuck about
>DUDE POETRY ISNT SUPPOSED TO RHYME GREEKS AND ROMANS DIDNT RHYME LMAO MUH BLANK VERSE
faggots. It has to rhyme. It has to be musical and lyricals, otherwise why the fuck am I wasting time on it.

>music always rhymes

But I agree with it having to be musical

>It has to rhyme
No
>It has to be musical and lyricals,
Yes
The musicality of poetry can be achieved in a million ways and you are simply uneducated if you can't appreciate any method other than rhyme.

>GREEKS AND ROMANS DIDNT RHYME LMAO MUH BLANK VERSE
You didn't refute anything. In fact, you only brought up great examples of poetry that doesn't rhyme and made yourself look really fucking dumb.

>The musicality of poetry can be achieved in a million ways and
If you say so. So far your a million ways always boil down to the one "take prose and insert linebreaks creatively" way.

but im almost certain greeks and romans rhymed

hey guys ever heard of
F I G U R E S O F S P E E C H

Or blank verse which outnumbers linebreakverse

You are crazy fucking stupid, dude.

Tears, idle tears, I know not what they mean,
Tears from the depth of some divine despair
Rise in the heart, and gather to the eyes,
In looking on the happy autumn-fields,
And thinking of the days that are no more.

Fresh as the first beam glittering on a sail,
That brings our friends up from the underworld,
Sad as the last which reddens over one
That sinks with all we love below the verge;
So sad, so fresh, the days that are no more.

Ah, sad and strange as in dark summer dawns
The earliest pipe of half-awaken'd birds
To dying ears, when unto dying eyes
The casement slowly grows a glimmering square;
So sad, so strange, the days that are no more.

Dear as remembered kisses after death,
And sweet as those by hopeless fancy feign'd
On lips that are for others; deep as love,
Deep as first love, and wild with all regret;
O Death in Life, the days that are no more!

>take prose and insert linebreaks creatively

There once was a man from Nantucket
Who kept all his cash in a bucket.
But his daughter, named Nan,
Ran away with a man
And as for the bucket, Nantucket.

Wow
You told
me
Dude.
What shall I do with the
grief
and
sad.
Am I, too
a poet
now?

epic trolling ftw

As I said, you are uneducated. Musicality can be achieved with rhyme, alliteration, assonance, various types of repetition, placement of caesuras, meters based on stress and meters based on vowel length. This is really basic stuff, and all of these methods were used long before free verse.

Really? Go find me a greek/roman poem that rhymes. I'd love to see it.

>""poetry"" with rhyme
fucking barbarians I swear

poetry
doesn't need to rhyme
it needs to bare a soul
torn apart
by swords made flesh
aka dicks

- rupi kaur

>the measure is English heroic verse without rime, as that of Homer in Greek, and of Virgil in Latin—rime being no necessary adjunct or true ornament of poem or good verse, in longer works especially, but the invention of a barbarous age, to set off wretched matter and lame metre; graced indeed since by the use of some famous modern poets, carried away by custom, but much to their own vexation, hindrance, and constraint to express many things otherwise, and for the most part worse, than else they would have expressed them. Not without cause therefore some both Italian and Spanish poets of prime note have rejected rime both in longer and shorter works, as have also long since our best English tragedies, as a thing of itself, to all judicious ears, trivial and of no true musical delight; which consists only in apt numbers, fit quantity of syllables, and the sense variously drawn out from one verse into another, not in the jingling sound of like endings—a fault avoided by the learned ancients both in poetry and all good oratory. This neglect then of rime so little is to be taken for a defect, though it may seem so perhaps to vulgar readers, that it rather is to be esteemed an example set, the first in English, of ancient liberty recovered to heroic poem from the troublesome and modern bondage of riming.

Milton was a shit poet all the same
>lol I'm gonna write English with Latin grammar that surely won't confuse anyone

>He's confused by Miltonic verse
lmaoooooooooo

> thinks Latin poetry didn't rhyme
> has the gall to call somebody else 'uneducated'
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.02.0074:book=1:card=5

>yfw Golding's rhymed translation blows shitty latin original out of the water

If your poetry doesn't rhyme, or, god forbid, is done in free """"""verse"""""", kindly kys

Golding is god-tier, also Gavin Douglas is the best translator of Virgil

>continental portuguese
>better than any language whatsoever

>I haven't read Wordsworth
>I haven't read Coleridge
>I haven't read any translated poetry
>I haven't read Pound
>I haven't read Eliot
>I haven't read Hughes
>I haven't read Blake
>I haven't read Douglas

ugh.

>Hughes

>"ego" supervacuum
>"vos" cum personam unicam appelles

Credo te nihil Latinitatis scire cum profanitates abuti scias. Nova carmina sola exempli gratia "Gaudeamus igitur" homoeoteleuto utuntur.

All the same,
poetry
needs to be
something more
than a sentence
with
random
line-
breaks.

literally no one claimed otherwis

e

Except the user who posted Try looking up "literally" in a dictionary. You'll probably need to buy one first.

He was making fun of Rupi Kaur, you fucking moron.

Who writes long sentences with random linebreaks, you fat ignorant American blancmange.

If he's mocking Rupi Kaur for using haphazard linebreaks, then he isn't contradicting your statement that poetry shouldn't have haphazard linebreaks, stupid.