What was this guy's problem?

what was this guy's problem?

pre-/r9k/ robot

Couldn't commit. Was in love in Regine Olsen, but just platonic.
He was probably gay, though never came out.

Absolutely nothing.

"When I was very young, I forgot in the Trophonean cave how to laugh; when I became an adult, when I opened my eyes and saw actuality, then I started to laugh and have never stopped laughing since that time. I saw that the meaning of life was to make a living, its goal to be- come a councilor, that the rich delight oflove was to acquire a well-to-do girl, that the blessedness of friendship was to help each other in financial difficulties, that wisdom was whatever the majority assumed it to be, that enthusiasm was to give a speech, that courage was to risk being fined ten dollars, that cordiality was to say "May it do you good" after a meal, that piety was to go to communion once a year. This I saw, and I laughed."

That quote revealed a yearning inside of me. Which of his writings is it from?

His Diapsalmata (the first chapter of Either/Or) is fucking hilarious!

ya he started off as a badass but then he became a christian choir boy near the end there

another based kierkegaard quote:
“Marry, and you will regret it; don’t marry, you will also regret it; marry or don’t marry, you will regret it either way. Laugh at the world’s foolishness, you will regret it; weep over it, you will regret that too; laugh at the world’s foolishness or weep over it, you will regret both. Believe a woman, you will regret it; believe her not, you will also regret it… Hang yourself, you will regret it; do not hang yourself, and you will regret that too; hang yourself or don’t hang yourself, you’ll regret it either way; whether you hang yourself or do not hang yourself, you will regret both. This, gentlemen, is the essence of all philosophy.”

hes a goldmine

>Hang yourself, you will regret it
stopped reading there

then you didn't understand it
the idea is that religion condemns suicide, so you'll regret it if you actually do

no matter what you do you're going to regret that decision; because either you want to do it, or society tells you not to do it

wasn't gay enough

Tell me how a dead man can regret anything

Either/Or

are you that dense, that's not the point, you're taught that you will regret it with the implication of eternal damnation; he's christian, everyone he knows is christian, anything not deemed christian is oppressed, etc

this is being applied to a person that's alive, before they make any decision, they're apparently going to regret any decision they make no matter what they do regardless of whether or not it's entirely true

If you hang yourself there will be a minute or two before you pass out where you are squirming are thinking "fuck I shouldn't have tied my hands behind my back"

But you still understand what he is conveying, don't you, you pedantic autist

*holds up spork*

Absolutely based.

Autism.

"Without daring, then, to appeal to Lessing, without daring definitely to refer to him as my guarantor, without putting anyone under obligation to want, because of Lessing's renown, most dutifully to understand or to claim to have understood something that brings the one who understands into a dubious relation to my lack of renown, which certainly is just as repelling as Lessing's renown is compelling- I now intend to present something that I shall, what the deuce, ascribe to Lessing, without being certain that he would acknowledge it, something that I in teasing exuberance could easily be tempted to want to foist upon him as something he said, although not directly, something for which in a different sense I in admiration could enthusiastically wish to dare to thank him, something that in turn I ascribe to him with proud restraint and self-esteem, just out of generosity, and then again something that I fear will offend or bother him by linking his name to it. One rarely finds an author who is such pleasant company as Lessing. And why is that? I think it is because he is so sure of himself. All this banal and easy association of someone exceptional with someone less exceptional- one is a genius, a master, the other an apprentice, a messenger, a day laborer, etc.- is prevented here. If I wanted to be Lessing's follower by hook or by crook, I could not; he has prevented it. Just as he himself is free, so, I think, he wants to make everyone free in relation to him, declining the exhalations and impudence of the apprentice, fearful of being made a laughingstock by the tutors, a parroting echo's routine reproduction of what has been said."
-Soren Kierkegaard

I like how much of a smug, whiny cunt he was

Thank you for the reply. I will cherish it always

Best Kierkie translator?

just learn Danish, dude.

He thought things would eventually fade and was so scared of actually letting things fade that he pulled out before they had a chance to fully blossom. In his human need for permanence, he took a leap of faith into the only truly permanent thing he knew: God.

Can't go wrong with the Hongs, they include lots of helpful notes and historical introductions as well

Hong are good, Hannay is best.

>he took a leap of faith
God damnit, user

thisss

>that wisdom was whatever the majority assumed it to be,

Commit this to the flames

he was infp

Abusive father, commitment issues. Depression.