Gogol translations

What translations of Dead Souls can you recommend? Also looking for a nice edition (talking translations of course) that contains short works like The Overcoat, Diary of a Madman and The Government Inspector.
I don't really like how P&V translations read so that's not an option.

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/12568645-tales-of-good-and-evil
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Gosh he looks like my 0/10 cousin. She's so ogly

without a fucking doubt, no contest, guerney.

Sounds cool user. What about his short works?

do a gogol search

gogol only talks about P&V. I prefer to ask here. I give recommendations and other anons do the same for me.
It's like a Veeky Forums board WOAH

i'm not sure, i just went with whatever was available, which i loved, especially his "the portrait", unmissable story that's tragically undersold in comparison with his diary of a madman and the overcoat. which was where the problem was with dead souls, which i couldn't fucking stand, until i read guerney's which gave it a humorous availability that i didn't notice before. I even compared the three translations i have, and it is incredibly subtle, but it's there somehow.
Plus, nabby liked guerney's translation, he, the infamous critic of all things russian translation. i couldn't easily find a short story collection with the portrait other than P&V, but i typically hate their work, so you might just grab the ebook version i ended up reading. Good luck my friend!

I read some of his short works in Magarshack's translation in a pdf scan of an edition published some time in the 50s. Has a nice cover too. It doesn't have The Government Inspector but it does have The Nose, Nevski Prospekt and more notably, Taras Bulba which I consider esential Gogol.

Then I found an epub of some more recent Penguin (I think) edition of short works which I didn't enjoy quite as much as the first. I don't remember the translator though I can tell you for certain it wasn't P&V. Don't think it was Guerney either. Anyway, it wasn't bad, it's just that I found a certain charm in Magarshak's rendering which I think suits Gogol well. Either way I don't think any translation can totally ruin Gogol--he's just that good.

I was wrong: Magarshack's doesn't have The Nose. It has The Overcoat, Nevski Prospekt, The Portrait, Taras Bulba and another one of his early stories, a long one full of super-comfy romanticized Cossack life mixed with some folktale fantastical elements. I definitely recommend this edition. Grab it now before the snow melts, user. It's THE snowy-day-hot-tea-in-armchair-by-the-window read, if there ever was one. It's in one of workerbee's torrents on tpb.

How incomplete is Dead Souls? What went wrong?

Can't seem to find this edition. Are you not talking of the Wilks translation?

if you read the guerney, and stop before the fragmented second parts, you will go away satisfied, i assure you.

When in doubt go for P&V.

Yeah, but did Gogol go crazy? What went wrong?!?!?

Nah, P&V are shit. When in doubt go for revised Garnett.

oh fuck yes. went crazier than a loon, meant it to be a gigantic epic, turned out the devil tricked him and he burned a shitload out of fury and spite.
god no. Guerney.

>Garnett

lel

>However, Garnett also has had critics, notably prominent Russian natives and authors Vladimir Nabokov and Joseph Brodsky. Nabokov claimed that Garnett's translations were "dry and flat, and always unbearably demure." Nabokov's criticism of Garnett, however, may arguably be viewed in light of his publicly stated ideal that the translator be male.[5][6] Brodsky notably criticized Garnett for blurring the distinctive authorial voices of different Russian authors:[3]
>"The reason English-speaking readers can barely tell the difference between Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky is that they aren't reading the prose of either one. They're reading Constance Garnett."

So apparently there's no respected short story compendium. Either it lacks some stories or the translation is not that good.

every god damn time we have this discussion.

what shud i start reading from him?

this, desu

I have 2 collections:

The overcoat and other tales of good and evil, translated by megashark.
Has the terrible vengeance, Ivan fyodorovivh and his aunt, the portrait, nevsky avenue, the nose and the overcoat.

The diary of a madman, government inspector and selected stories, translated by Maguire.
Has Ivan fyodorovich shponka and his aunt, how Ivan ivanovuch quarrelled with Ivan nikiforovich, nevsky prospect, the nose, the overcoat, diary of a madman the carriage, and the government inspector.

I think megashark is the better translation but the second book is worth it for the 2 title stories (even though there is a bunch of overlap).

> revised Garnett
> revised

When in doubt, go for revised Garnett. It's the Garnett translations, but revised by a later editor.

There's a two-volume complete stories translated by Garnett. Too bad it's not revised Garnett.

I like Magarshack (not megashark my dude) but too bad it has so little.

I read Garnett's The Idiot and it wasn't bad. I liked it.

Anyone knows about good Spanish translations?

yeah well, I don't find girls with mustaches attractive either

>Anyone knows about good Spanish translations?

Not sure but anyone knows about good French translations?

This is the Magarshack I was talking about: goodreads.com/book/show/12568645-tales-of-good-and-evil

>Has the terrible vengeance, Ivan fyodorovivh and his aunt, the portrait, nevsky avenue, the nose and the overcoat
Mine has different contents though: it doesn't have Shponka and his Aunt but it has Taras Bulba, which I recommend.

>The diary of a madman, government inspector and selected stories, translated by Maguire.
This is the second one I was talking about.

>I think megashark is the better translation but the second book is worth it for the 2 title stories
My sentiments exactly.

Either way just grab one, op. You can get them for free.

>translations
Why can't you dilettantes learn languages? Just read something else you fucking cuck

Megashark is the best lit meme. Now you know.

underrated post right here

Garnett is the best translation of Dosto, it doesn't matter what that ass-mad Nabokov faggot said. If you actually don't want your Rasknolikov talking something like a monocled Victorian gentleman you're a faggot.

I honestly can't believe there's not a single volume, well translated collection of his short works.

pretty tragic, really. one of, if not, the greatest 19th century russian author, and yet the guy gets shit on.

Just grab more volumes then. So what if there's overlap and there are different translations? You get to compare the translations and you get to reread Gogol, which is always worth your time.

I've read the Juhani Konkka translation so that one

this man knows

DO NOT cop the Wordsworth edition of dead souls
Old and outdated translation wasted my money

I am sick and tired of this. Every day I come to Veeky Forums, and every day there is at least one thread up with an OP image of an attractive old man dressed sharply and posing seductively. It's probably the same one or two people who do it honestly. Let me tell you something, you faggot pieces of shit who are doing this: you are the poster child for everything that is wrong in literature, art, and society as a whole today. You are incapable of coming up with anything creative, thought provoking, or of substance, and you lack even the smallest modicum of intelligence, so you use "style" and "class" and "respectability" in place of it and to draw attention to yourself, because that's the only way your SHIT "creation" and ideas would ever get seen by anyone. And before you say anything, this has NOTHING to do with the fact that I am an hormone addled teenager. Anyway, I will be petitioning the owner of this website to ban your asses, so enjoy being able to post here while it lasts, because it's not going to last long, just like you that one time you convinced your Old English teacher to let you fuck him.